Riding the Ibis Ripley 4.0 in Norcal- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Riding the Ibis Ripley 4.0 in Norcal

It is here and it is good. I was not a huge Ripley fan but I want to build one of these up.

I got to ride it for a couple days last week!!!!

https://reviews.mtbr.com/ibis-ripley...n-4-0-unveiled

It's like a "an Ibis Ripmo for legal Bay Area trails"

Here is the old and the new
    Riding the Ibis Ripley 4.0 in Norcal-2-img_4940.jpg

Anyone into it?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    already ordered.
    Will be keeping the Ripmo and building the V4 more on the XC side.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    already ordered.
    Will be keeping the Ripmo and building the V4 more on the XC side.
    2 bike stable!! On the same brand.

I've been thinking about the concept. There's the 1-bike stable but if someone wants to XC and get rowdy, the 2 bike has better range.

Specialized Epic Evo, Stumpy Evo

Santa Cruz Tallboy, Megatower

Yeti SB100, SB150
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Trail House in Santa Rosa is having a happy hour get together tonight with Scot Nicol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw4xY1NAfn_/

bike looks sick

Hella Olde
    Those things are pricey!

mtbr member
    More and more I've been wanting a short travel 29er with "modern" geo...

Intense Sniper Trail, Pivot Trail 429, Giant Trance 29, New Ripley all looking good to me.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    More and more I've been wanting a short travel 29er with "modern" geo...

Intense Sniper Trail, Pivot Trail 429, Giant Trance 29, New Ripley all looking good to me.

-You would be wise to add the Transition Smuggler to that list. Save some bucks along the way too!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -You would be wise to add the Transition Smuggler to that list. Save some bucks along the way too!!
    Agree. Was on the verge of moving on from my V2 Rip to a Transition but decided to hold off. I should have because now the the V4 released, my V2 is going to be harder to sell.

Nevertheless... glad the V4 Rip is out and modernized!!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Agree. Was on the verge of moving on from my V2 Rip to a Transition but decided to hold off. I should have because now the the V4 released, my V2 is going to be harder to sell.

Nevertheless... glad the V4 Rip is out and modernized!!
    A lot of V2's and 3's are gonna hit the used market tonight. And the number of interested buyers will drop.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    A lot of V2's and 3's are gonna hit the used market tonight. And the number of interested buyers will drop.
    which is why I sold my V2 a couple months ago. Actually, that's not totally accurate...I sold my V2 after a few rides on the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    FC here's a better idea

1 Guerrilla Gravity, 1 extra shock & chainstay kit. Half the price and Made in America. Plus, US regulations are much better than Asia, so you know the environment isn't getting screwed over

default title
    Mar 2008
    I'll demo the new Ripley after the DV9 at Trailhead's demo day this Friday if I can swing it.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I love my Ripley LS. Not looking to upgrade at this point, but the new version sounds like a really fun bike.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

I've been thinking about the concept. There's the 1-bike stable but if someone wants to XC and get rowdy, the 2 bike has better range.

Specialized Epic Evo, Stumpy Evo

Santa Cruz Tallboy, Megatower

Yeti SB100, SB150
    Evil Offering makes a strong case for 1 quiver bike for around here. Came from a Following MB and it surpasses it in climbing, slightly lighter, more travel. Mine is forked at 140mm but a 150 could give you a little more for the rougher areas if that is how you roll.

default title
    Mar 2008

Why not a hardtail 29er and endurbro as the two bikes?
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by erik2k10 View Post
    FC here's a better idea

1 Guerrilla Gravity, 1 extra shock & chainstay kit. Half the price and Made in America. Plus, US regulations are much better than Asia, so you know the environment isn't getting screwed over
    What kind of GG is good? I know people there.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    For sure, that was the old model. Hardtail and fully. Or mountain bike and road bike. But there's a new twist for the new age. Ripley and Gravel bike will work too.

The cool thing is the two-bike model can really fit a lot of styles.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

fc
    1 bike is every bike. They all share the same front triangle. You just need to replace the seat stays and shock for different "bikes"

Trail Pistol is perfect for around here if you like 29ers (so is the Smash of you want longer travel)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

fc
    I would get the trail pistol with an air shock as your primary configuration. Then buy a coil shock and the Smash chainstay kit as your secondary (aka Downieville) set up. With Guerrilla Gravity's direct to consumer model and their chainstay kits, this is easily cheaper than one Ibis Ripley.

Guerrilla Gravity's unique semi-automated carbon manufacturing is the most disruptive tech the bike industry has seen in a long time. My bike is new so I'm not looking to upgrade, but GG has made all other brands look expensive, uncustomizable, and old school. I can't imagine buying anything but a GG as my next bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    which is why I sold my V2 a couple months ago. Actually, that's not totally accurate...I sold my V2 after a few rides on the Ripmo.
    I should have done the same. I rode the Ripmo, as well as a Transition Sentinel and was going to pull the trigger. Mindset was that I better sell my V2 Rip now before V4 comes out. =( In the end it's all good... a V2 Rip with 942s, XO build, Factory suspension still rips and I need to back off on "upgraditis." =P

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    That's probably the best sales line you can get, I definitely want to add this to the demo list. Trying an ibis factory demo at flow trail at Demo forest would be amazing, if possible.

Despite that I rode the previous generation riply and an hd3 and thought the fit on both was kinda weird for me. Plus the paint seemed like it chips super easily based on the marks on the demo bike. And don't even get me started on the nobby nics, the previous gen had the same tires and they ripped open and blew stans everywhere on some trails that the typical maxxis exo tires handled with no issues. But with different tires this new gen seems like a pretty good bike!

Edit: Looks like 2.5 DHF/ Aggressor is a factory tire option, sounds great!

mtbr member
    I am building a SB100 to complement the 130. Now I might need to take the 130 it to "lunch ride" mode!

If I could only have 1 bike the specs on that Ibis are pretty close.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

climber
    Dec 2008
    My (dream) 2 bike stable from same brand would be Stumpy Epic Evo and Stumpy Levo, although one of the bikes would hardly ever get ridden ha ha

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My Ripmo never really feels like I'm on too big of a bike. If I was worried about it I could get the same effect with a light wheelset and tire setup for the mellow stuff and keep the OEM combo for the burly stuff.

But I'm slow and fat on climbs anywaybso I'm calling it good

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack7782 View Post
    My (dream) 2 bike stable from same brand would be Stumpy Epic Evo and Stumpy Levo, although one of the bikes would hardly ever get ridden ha ha
    You know... I have a few buds now on this boat. It's happening now and in two years....

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    My Ripmo never really feels like I'm on too big of a bike. If I was worried about it I could get the same effect with a light wheelset and tire setup for the mellow stuff and keep the OEM combo for the burly stuff.

But I'm slow and fat on climbs anywaybso I'm calling it good

Ripmo is a very light and light feeling bike. But.... you probably don't live in Midpen area. And I suspect you don't have a Fox X2 on the rear of your bike.

In the end though.... it's about the tires.
    IPA will save America

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ripmo is a very light and light feeling bike. But.... you probably don't live in Midpen area. And I suspect you don't have a Fox X2 on the rear of your bike.

I'm in Mendo and there's not a lot of Ripmo worthy trails in my hood. But it has been just fine for the daily and then perfect for my weekly trip to goodness.

jms
    mtbr member

Riding the Ibis Ripley 4.0 in Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    My current pairing that comfortably covers anything and EVERYTHING I'm interested in riding. The Spork: 100 mm travel drop bar 29er Lefty/Kish hardtail, and a first generation RIP9 RDO/MRP Stage/Ribbon. Add the disc CX bike and I'm covered for everything. There's even a fair degree of interchangeability across platforms in the componentry.

Having said all that, if I was in the market for a two bike, one brand "quiver", I'd go
    Salsa Cutthroat and Horsethief.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding the Ibis Ripley 4.0 in Norcal-img_5977.jpg  

Last edited by jms; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:01 PM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Wēk Ss

True enough, about the tires.

My son has a DV9 for his HT/ NICA race bike, and a Ripmo on order. His Giant Anthem Advanced (110 rear, 120 front), he's pinned it. It doesn't matter if he set air pressure very high, currently set for a 180lb person (and he's 130lb) with very little sag, he still bottoms both fork and shock every ride, especially at Santa Teresa. When he goes to Tahoe and hits 3-6ft drops, for sure he bottoms it out.

He will also use the Ripmo as a training bike. Heavy slow tires, heavier bike, etc. More pedal force, more muscle building, etc.

Any how, 2 bike stable for him, same brand. Just ordered the Ripmo, waiting to be built.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I'm in Mendo and there's not a lot of Ripmo worthy trails in my hood. But it has been just fine for the daily and then perfect for my weekly trip to goodness.

As a guy who's been riding MTB for over 30 years, I sometimes catch myself when I say something like this: "the Ripmo is a great all-arounder" considering it's massive travel, huge wheels / tires, etc. I also kinda chuckle when people talk about yearning for a 'short travel' 9er such as the V4. Nearly 5 inches of travel (in the rear, 5+ in front), big wheels, the ability to run monster tires...with a more historical lens applied, the V4 is a monster of a bike.
    We're living in a golden age of bike goodness and we should just soak it in.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    As a guy who's been riding MTB for over 30 years, I sometimes catch myself when I say something like this: "the Ripmo is a grass all-arounder" considering it's massive travel, huge wheel / tires, etc. I also kinda chuckle when people talk about yearning for a 'short travel' 9er such as the V4. Nearly 5 inches of travel (in the rear, 5+ in front), big wheels, the ability to run monster tires...with a more historical lens applied, the V4 is a monster of a bike.
    We're living in a golden age of bike goodness and we should just soak it in.
    My 1994 Fisher Procal hangs next to my Ripmo and I couldn't agree more.

mtbr member
    That bike looks sick! Might be in the market for a proper modern bike at some point. Will definitely keep it in mind...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is here and it is good. I was not a huge Ripley fan but I want to build one of these up.

I got to ride it for a couple days last week!!!!

https://reviews.mtbr.com/ibis-ripley...n-4-0-unveiled

Here is the old and the new
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-IMG_4940.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	537.0 KB 
ID:	1249293

Anyone into it?
    Hey fc,

Since it looks like I'm not going to make it out to TrailHead's demo to try out the Ripley, just wanted to get your thoughts and anyone else (might be too early) on how the new compares to the old. The geometry definitely is modernized and a significant change but what did that translate to for you on the trail?

You mentioned in your review that you weren't a big fan of the old one... what are the main reasons for wanting to build up the V4 now? I'm a V2 Rip LS owner and a older gen stumpy evo owner and looking to possibly consolidate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have an XL frame and fork on order from Trailhead to do a custom build. I rode one at the demo today and compared to what I'm used to (Enduro, Nomad, etc) it feels very light, poppy and playful, climbs outstanding and is decent on the downs. I didn't feel super comfortable going really fast over rocky terrain, but I'm 210 lbs and used to bigger bikes. I'm building this up to be my cross country....errrr down country bike for the legal riding on this side of HWY 17. I rarely have time to make it to Santa Cruz or other fun places to ride, so I plan to ride Arastradero, Fremont Older, Skeggs, Waterdog etc and wanted a bike that would be more fun at those places. If I ride enough, then I would like to do some of the Epic Ride events and plan to use this bike. As FC said, a Ripmo for the legal midpen trails.

Once I start riding more and lifting weights a bit less I'll probably drop down to a lean 190ish. Any suggestions on the build? I'm thinking 4 piston brakes (XTR or Code?), but stuck on XX1 AXS vs XTR, exact wheelset and tires, dropper (Bike Yoke, Reverb AXS, or something lighter?) etc. For my needs how would you build it up?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Hey fc,

Since it looks like I'm not going to make it out to TrailHead's demo to try out the Ripley, just wanted to get your thoughts and anyone else (might be too early) on how the new compares to the old. The geometry definitely is modernized and a significant change but what did that translate to for you on the trail?

You mentioned in your review that you weren't a big fan of the old one... what are the main reasons for wanting to build up the V4 now? I'm a V2 Rip LS owner and a older gen stumpy evo owner and looking to possibly consolidate.
    So this new one has a shorter chainstay and the rear is stiffer. This translates to a quicker rear end that is easier to throw around.

The seat tube is steep and it's straight. So I can put a a 180mm dropper for my short height and get really low and active. The steep seat angle of 76 degrees makes it a great pedaling bike when the post is up since it pitches my weight forward and unweights the rear.

The long cockpit is what I want and I can run a 35mm stem and wide bars and have plenty of room.

The head angle is slack and it's very forgiving in the steeps. The new 44 mm offset fork shortens the wheelbase a little bit and makes this long bike better in in tight, slow stuff. Compared to the old one Ripley, this is where this bike will suffer.

Compared to the Ripmo, this bike's suspension ramps up quickly so it's quick and poppy. It will also run out of talent sooner. Great for playful trails and steeps. Not so good for high speed chunder.
    IPA will save America

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    I have an XL frame and fork on order from Trailhead to do a custom build. I rode one at the demo today and compared to what I'm used to (Enduro, Nomad, etc) it feels very light, poppy and playful, climbs outstanding and is decent on the downs. I didn't feel super comfortable going really fast over rocky terrain, but I'm 210 lbs and used to bigger bikes. I'm building this up to be my cross country....errrr down country bike for the legal riding on this side of HWY 17. I rarely have time to make it to Santa Cruz or other fun places to ride, so I plan to ride Arastradero, Fremont Older, Skeggs, Waterdog etc and wanted a bike that would be more fun at those places. If I ride enough, then I would like to do some of the Epic Ride events and plan to use this bike. As FC said, a Ripmo for the legal midpen trails.

Once I start riding more and lifting weights a bit less I'll probably drop down to a lean 190ish. Any suggestions on the build? I'm thinking 4 piston brakes (XTR or Code?), but stuck on XX1 AXS vs XTR, exact wheelset and tires, dropper (Bike Yoke, Reverb AXS, or something lighter?) etc. For my needs how would you build it up?
    Saw some guy talking to Lars earlier this week about the Ripley 4 on Tues afternoon. Might be you?

I haven't used the XTR, but felt the lever at THC. It feels great. I have Code, and it works well, but am curious about the XTR.

I'd probably take the XTR build from Ibis. I think you might come out ahead with that. The bundle prices are pretty good, compared to buying components separately.

AXS is trick, nice to have no cables, but charging, I don't know about that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm thinking 4 piston brakes (XTR or Code?)
    Formula Cura 4 or Magura MT7 > Sram & Shimano

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Bike Yoke all day. It's light and proven. I have had since launch and currently own 3 of them. I would use anything else. The AXS Reverb is heavy and it's a Reverb.

I also have the AXS system. I love it. Game changer no not really. Cool and fun yes. Haven't missed a shift yet. No experience with the Shimano.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Saw some guy talking to Lars earlier this week about the Ripley 4 on Tues afternoon. Might be you?

I haven't used the XTR, but felt the lever at THC. It feels great. I have Code, and it works well, but am curious about the XTR.

I'd probably take the XTR build from Ibis. I think you might come out ahead with that. The bundle prices are pretty good, compared to buying components separately.

AXS is trick, nice to have no cables, but charging, I don't know about that.
    Yeah, that was me at THC....unless there was another dude talking the same bike the same afternoon....highly possible.

I went back to the THC demo day today and rode the Ripley again (and a few other bikes). I'm stoked on my Ripley decision and after riding the new XTR and pedaling the new Eagle AXS in the parking lot I'm pretty sure I'm going AXS. Surprisingly I didn't love the XTR. I'm still working on other build details.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Bike Yoke all day. It's light and proven. I have had since launch and currently own 3 of them. I would use anything else. The AXS Reverb is heavy and it's a Reverb.

I also have the AXS system. I love it. Game changer no not really. Cool and fun yes. Haven't missed a shift yet. No experience with the Shimano.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input. The Bike Yoke bikes I rode today were nice. Oh, and the AXS bike too

mtbr member
    I 100% agree with FC's description. I actually think the bike would be more fun with a longer fork offset, particularly for how the bike rides. I don't find it rides above its travel level. Therefore it will be more fun to ride it with a longer offset for the speeds that it will operate most naturally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I feel like they are going the wrong way with the new Ripley. The OG was a solid xc race bike/bay area trail bike. I know alot of local xc races were won on that frame. With the LS and now this it is getting bigger and bigger, further away from the feel of the original. With the popularity of the new SC blur (tons of them at the old cabin today, including the one I raced on) and xc racing numbers growing I feel like they are missing the boat by not having a proper short travel 29 in their line. The gap between this new ripley and the ripmo seems too small and they are phasing the ripley out of the xc world. But thats just my thinking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well, I definitely don't think they're building the Ripley for people racing Wilder. Doesn't the DV9 fill the XC niche pretty well? They might be too small of a company to have a pure XC-race bike these days.

They won't have any trouble selling boatloads of Ripley's AND Ripmo's!
    Last edited by Callender; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:51 PM.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoHillBri View Post
    I feel like they are going the wrong way with the new Ripley. The OG was a solid xc race bike/bay area trail bike. I know alot of local xc races were won on that frame. With the LS and now this it is getting bigger and bigger, further away from the feel of the original. With the popularity of the new SC blur (tons of them at the old cabin today, including the one I raced on) and xc racing numbers growing I feel like they are missing the boat by not having a proper short travel 29 in their line. The gap between this new ripley and the ripmo seems too small and they are phasing the ripley out of the xc world. But thats just my thinking.
    Sales say otherwise. This will be a very popular bike just as the Ripmo was.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoHillBri View Post
    Yep. I'm wondering if the new Ripley may steal sales from the Ripmo because of their similarities.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anyone ride one at the trailhead demo or elsewhere this weekend?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by sg10 View Post
    Is it going to change ride characteristics from a different area? Asking for a friend.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So this new one has a shorter chainstay and the rear is stiffer. This translates to a quicker rear end that is easier to throw around.

The seat tube is steep and it's straight. So I can put a a 180mm dropper for my short height and get really low and active. The steep seat angle of 76 degrees makes it a great pedaling bike when the post is up since it pitches my weight forward and unweights the rear.

The long cockpit is what I want and I can run a 35mm stem and wide bars and have plenty of room.

The head angle is slack and it's very forgiving in the steeps. The new 44 mm offset fork shortens the wheelbase a little bit and makes this long bike better in in tight, slow stuff. Compared to the old one Ripley, this is where this bike will suffer.

Compared to the Ripmo, this bike's suspension ramps up quickly so it's quick and poppy. It will also run out of talent sooner. Great for playful trails and steeps. Not so good for high speed chunder.
    Thanks for the breakdown FC. I'll have to find some time to hop on one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sg10 View Post
    I rode the new ripley and ripmo, the ripley was easily one of the quickest climbing and pedaling bikes i've ever ridden, if not the quickest ever, though its also the lightest and shortest travel bike i've ever ridden so that probably plays a role. The ripley was surprisingly capable on the downhills and I also thought it was fast and playful. Overall, I was probably fastest at riding the ripley compared to any other bike i've ridden before.

You definitely feel that its a short travel bike once you get a significant amount of air on jumps or drops though, jumping it was kind of brutal compared to longer travel bikes, and of course it felt firm through the rocky stuff. Although I loved how fast I was, i'm not sure i'd be happy hitting the jumps on flow at demo forest and some other drops i've ridden, it might be not enough bike for that. But overall I was very impressed, its on my "to demo again" list for sure, and the bike is so much quicker than anything else I rode that I might just deal with the big drops.

As for the ripmo, i'm not so sure that they feel like the same bike but with different travel, the ripmo was nice and plush on the big hits but felt fairly slow climbing IMO.

The 2.6 Schwalbe tires and ibis wheels worked great too, having a hans dampf up front instead of the nobby nic that is supposed to be there was nice.

Bike yoke dropper worked fine too I think, I didn't notice anything special about it which means it did its job, it worked quickly and reliably. Can't say the same about a lot of other droppers, especially the LEV dropper and remote which was annoying and not reliable.

So after demoing a small army of bikes the past year, my personal opinion is: 29ers with less than ~130mm rear travel are very fast and are enough for most trails in the bay area, but can be harsh and tiring on the biggest hits. 29ers with over ~140mm of rear travel can ride anything well but don't pedal all that fast and climb slow. Stuff in the middle of the range like the hightower, sb130, and stumpy are just right for me, you can find bikes that are better for the most extreme trails and also quicker pedaling bikes but these ones are great as the one bike for everything.

Also, 2.3 maxxis tires are great but I could use some more grip sometimes, and the 2.5/2.4 maxxis tires plow over stuff but don't dig in the same way that the smaller maxxis do, I think. A 2.5 dhf front with a 2.3 rear might be the best of both worlds. The 2.5 dhf with a 2.4 dhr2 or 2.5 aggressor rear is one of the biggest reasons why the longer travel bikes feel slow.

But overall its hard to go wrong with any of the top of the line bikes made today, find the one that fits the best and most suited for your trails and you are good to go!