mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Riding and bike rental near Petaluma?

Iím headed up there to visit a buddy for a couple days. Looking to ride 2 days while heís at work. Iím not bringing my own bike so Iím looking for a shop that rents too.

Iím from Austin and I usually ride rocky intermediate trails. Iím fit but we donít have the amount of climbing you have around there Iím sure. Where would you ride if you wanted a couple hours in the morning and a couple more in the afternoon with good food in between and local beers at night? My priorities for a trail would be scenery and fun over gut busting workouts but I donít mind some work if it pays off.

hilarious
    Annadel state park up the road in Santa Rosa is a pretty good spot. Also, Willow Creek out toward Occidental.

Can't remember any shops...

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I'm pretty sure the correct answer is Annadel. Check out Trailforks for some routes (although I'm sure some locals will chime in). I don't know about rentals, but there are solid beer/food options in town post-ride (Russian River Brewing for starters). Have fun!

Edit: I forgot about Tamo--it's just a'ight. However, another good option would be if someone could show you the the fun stuff around China Camp.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 06-05-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Will you have a car/truck? Annadel is your best bet if so. Trailhouse in Santa Rosa has rentals I believe and beer/food.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    For logistics reasons, these are two excellent choices:
    Annadel / rent @ Trailhouse
    Tamarancho / rent @ Sunshine or Splitrock

All of these are fancy demo bikes riding distance from the shop to the trails--no need for anything other than a way to get to the shop with yourself (and riding gear. Possibly including a helmet? Call.)

Both are classic norcal trail systems which are typically good for a few hours; if you have two days, do both.

If one day (morn+afternoon).... pick one? Call the shops? Both have more riding nearby but you'll probably want to move the bike around by car... or go for a very long ride in Marin, doable but maybe better w/a guide. (A loop of Tamarancho + Hunt Camp + 680 or something nearby is a good choice)

mtbr member
    Annadel for sure. Half of it is closed due to fires. But.... There's plenty in the other half. Here's one from trail forks:

Ridelog from Apr 8, 2018
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/2699262/

Second on Tamarancho, do the classic loop with the flow trail:

Ridelog from Jan 6, 2018
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/2318240/

I prefer the entrance on my ridelog. You get more dirt in and it's actually good riding just getting there.

Tam bikes in Mill Valley has SC bikes to demo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post

All of these are fancy demo bikes riding distance from the shop to the trails--no need for anything other than a way to get to the shop with yourself (and riding gear. Possibly including a helmet? Call.)

Both are classic norcal trail systems which are typically good for a few hours; if you have two days, do both.

If one day (morn+afternoon).... pick one? Call the shops? Both have more riding nearby but you'll probably want to move the bike around by car... or go for a very long ride in Marin, doable but maybe better w/a guide. (A loop of Tamarancho + Hunt Camp + 680 or something nearby is a good choice)
    Ditto. I'd do a day at each. You can ride right into Annadel from Trail House and right into Tamarancho from Sunshine. Bet you can find a guide or two if you want company.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    BTW, all of Annadel is open except a portion of one trail (Ridge).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Annadel is awesome right now.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Get ahold of one of us and we'll show you around Annadel, if possible. Who knows, I might just come to Austin and hit up a local. People helping people, right?
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Nice! Thanks guys! Annadel and Tamarancho it is. This will probably be June 13-14 if anyoneís interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chuychanga View Post
    Nice! Thanks guys! Annadel and Tamarancho it is. This will probably be June 13-14 if anyoneís interested.
    Yeah man, let me know. I work right by Annadel and live at the bottom of Tamarancho...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuychanga View Post
    Let us know where you're going which day. I might be able to swing a tamarancho ride depending wife's work schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Iím headed out there today. Planning to ride Annadel tomorrow at 9am from Trailhouse unless someone has a convincing argument for Tamarancho instead. Iím only riding one day now because the girlfriend is tagging along and apparently she prefers a winery one day over riding.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Shoot. If you were riding in the afternoon, I'd join ya. This damn work thing is always gettin in the way of my fun.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.