Riding around the Livermore area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding around the Livermore area?

I am looking at maybe a job at the Lawrence Livermore lab. I do not know anything about the area. Is there any mountain or gravel riding in that area? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Del Valle lake is supposed to have some decent stuff. I have not been there so can't say.
    Pleasanton ridge has miles of trails.
    For weekend rides definitely Joaquin Miller. It is in the Oakland hills ( 20 minutes from dublin ) and has some good stuff.

mtbr member
    Brushy Peak is right there. It's small but has a few interesting spots.

Del Valle is bigger. Lots of cow trails that have been blessed as official trails.

Oyster Point trail on Mount Diablo is a decent chunk of XC singletrack, and it's on the side of the park closest to Livermore.

All of them are on my personal do not ride list from like May through September because of the heat though.

Check out https://bayarearides.com/eastbay.shtml or an app like TrailForks.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the Del Valle area, but I was talking to guys that work at a local bike shop in Livermore and they said they have a weekly ride on some unmapped territory. I would like to know what they got going there. Not much in east bay.

mtbr member
    I guess it depends on what your standards are. I wouldn't live there if my life depended on it because by mine the legal trails are crap and there's not much hope for progress on account of the entrenched bureaucracy that is EBPRD. (I don't know any unsanctioned trails but it sounds like the bike shop might.) The other thing about Livergulch--indeed the whole BA--is that the traffic is a nightmare if you want to try and go anywhere. The best riding in the BA seems to be South Bay. Other than that you would have to drive at least as far as Auburn or Santa Cruz. As far as gravel goes, if you don't mind the constant straight up straight down fire roads that could potentially be more interesting. In fact, most of the "trails" open to mtb in EBPRD are fire roads.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Plenty of good stuff in/around Livermore

There are plenty of good trails here in Livermore and Pleasanton. Have to hook up with locals to get to know them. Also, quality of life is as good as anywhere if you donít have to drive too much which if you worked at the Lab, you probably wouldnít. Many of those folks ride to work. Anyway, on me and Iíll take you riding when you get here!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good info everybody. Livermore, thanks. I've just had a phone interview, will probably come out for an in person interview just to check it out. I love road, gravel and mountain biking, I can do any and all three.

mtbr member
    Lake del valle has quite a few miles of xc singletrack interlaced with the fire road.
    There is also some hidden enduro type trail but you will just have to go and find it for yourself.
    Go early because this time of year, gets hot.

You can start at the top of DelValleRoad,by the main entrance or at Arroyo staging area, North end of lake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Livermore-Danville-Diablo has some pretty killer road riding. MTB is so-so, but it's there. The town itself is pretty cool and up and coming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    MTB, gravel, and road riding labbie here.

There are some ok rides in the area, Brushy and Del Valle are doable at lunch, P-Ridge and Morgen territory also have some decent stuff for the post-work hours. If you're into road, the lab has a lunch ride that goes off every day at 11:30. There is an A/B split, and there will be close to 20 riders showing up at the start. A group is solidly fast, B group picks up the folks who get spit out the back of the A's. There are a few of us that take the MTBs or gravel bikes out and hit brushy or sycamore just to get off the pavement for a bit. If you end up taking the job, PM me and I'll shoot you some ride beta, and the lunch ride group info.

JP

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would convert over to road if I lived out that way. Mt Diablo is a super nice climb. The House of Pain ride rolls through Livermore each Saturday... and you can head up the backside of Hamilton anytime you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Agree with some that there's definitely mtn bike trails to ride and stay entertained; just be aware of the much warmer temps in the summer.

- PL Ridge
    - Augustine Bernal
    - Brushy Peak
    - Del Valle
    - Pleasanton Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good to see the options and ideas. I have no problem with road riding! Jeff P., I will certainly let you know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK, Jeff p. I am looking at an interview in October, first or second week. Would be happy to meet up in person...I can message you off line.