Rides Wanted- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rides Wanted

SSped
    Jan 2004

Rides Wanted

Heh peep. I am headed up to morgan hill for a wedding on saturday and wanted to get in some riding. I have a lot of morning time so was looking for suggestions in the area. Kinda wanted to check out Soquel Demonstration forest on sunday but need suggestions for local riding on saturday. Or are there any group rides going on that we can tag along with. and no Henry Coe. Been there, done that, not thrilled.

Thanks
    SSped
    Last edited by SSped; 06-02-2004 at 06:52 AM. Reason: updated

Medium?

What's wrong with Coe?

You a wimp or something? Have you "been there done that" at all four entrances to the park? Thought not. There's a 16 mile paved trail starting in Morgan Hill, if that's your style. If you didn't like Coe, you won't like Demo forest either.

SSped
    Jan 2004

I might not have given it a chance

Mind you this was 5 years ago and I had ony been riding for about 2 years when I was last there. We went in from the lake side and parked at the ranger station. after climbing to the top we headed down the single track, which was pretty entertaining. as we were woried about making the climb back out(I heard it was as nasty steep and long as they come) we took a bail out cut across and headed back to the ranger station.

Is the climb out that bad or was I misinformed as to the severity. On that note is it Single Speedable? I might be talked into reriding there again.

SSped

Medium?

SSable

My favorite loop is Middle Ridge. I can ride 90% of it on my 34:19 SS. There's one steep, short climb in the middle of the ridge dh that I can't make, and a hike-a-bike section through the creek.

Start at HQ, go down Manzanita Point Rd one mile to Flat Frog Trail. Take that (sweet!) 2 miles to Hobbs Rd. Climb (ugh) Hobbs a little over a mile to the top. Check the view of Blue Ridge before going right at the top on Middle Ridge. It's four miles of very technical, sometimes choppy singletrack to the bottom. Nice. Cross the creek twice, left then right and you'll come out on Poverty Flat Rd. Go left.

If you're in a hurry, there's Cougar Trail, unmarked, just before you cross the creek, on the right. After 50m or so, you have to go right, up the hill. It's a 0.6 mile hike (too steep to ride) up to China Hole Trail, where you keep right all the way back to Manzanita Pt Rd, and on to HQ. This makes a 12 mile, 2000', 2 hr loop.

If you have an extra half hour, cross the creek, and continue past the campsites and the outhouse, and there's a marked trail that crosses the creek on the right, just before the road turns sharply uphill. This trail is about half ridable, with some carrying sections, and some oak. Follow the creek to China Hole, and ride the China Hole trail up, staying right until Manzanita Pt Rd. 14 miles, 2000', 2.5 hours.

If you want even more, go left at China Hole, and ride 2 miles of singletrack up to Mahoney Meadows Rd, then turn around and ride back down. Nice. Adds four miles, 45 minutes and 1000' of climbing.

If you don't want to deal with any hike-a-bike, ride Flat Frog out-and-back, then drop down Manzanita Pt Rd and China Hole Trail, up the other side of China Hole Trail to Mahoney Meadows, and back. It's about 17 miles with a ton of great singletrack that you get to ride twice. 3000' climbing, about 3.5 hours.

At the Coyote Creek entrance, there's Coit Rd/Grapevine Springs/Anza Trail loop that's tough, but also SSable. My 9yo has ridden that. 12 miles, 2500', 2.5 hours.

I don't ride there much if it's going to be over 85. Bring more water and food than you think you'll need. Maybe double.

Coors, the american beer.
    i almost died when i went to coe last time. cant remember what trails we did.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Medium?

It happens to lots of people.

It's just too easy to get way the faq out there without realizing how hard it's going to be to get back. Once you've got it figured out, it's sweet!

SSped
    Jan 2004

Killer Time

We had a great weekend. went to wilder ranch for a quickie before the wedding and had a good ride there. sunday we went up to Soquel. That was really fun. I have to head back so I can spend a day doing loops up and down. My wife was loving all that single track through the trees. we went down tractor (easy) it was really fun riding there.

SSped