Rides near Gualala- Mtbr.com
    Nim

Jan 2004

New question here. Rides near Gualala

Anyone know of any good MTB rides near Gualala. Don't want to get shot by growers or chewed on by Mtn. lions and bears, but am looking for a good loop for a solo ride while camping with some non riders near Gualala River. I guess a road ride with a nice hard climb would work if no there are no trails around.

thanks

Medium?

All the good stuff

is private or illegal, but really good 8^).

10ish miles south of Gualala

20ish miles south of Gualala is Salt Point State Park, where you can legally ride the fire roads. There's a pretty good climb (and decent) out of a turn-out about a mile south of Stump Beach, where there was obviously a forest fire a few years back.

Closer to Gualala, you could climb up Old Stage Road and find Bower Park on your left, across from the airport. Rumor has it that there is some singletrack nearby, but I never found it when taking my kids to the park to play. Ask at J. Baker's Hardware if they know of any hiking trails. If you don't mention you're planning to ride, you may get more dirt (pun intended).

There are some short river trails on all four corners of where the bridge crosses the river. Exploring around there will be fun for an hour or two, and you'll stay out of trouble. There's an RV campground on the SE corner. You have to climb the hwy half a mile from the bridge and go left. I remember trails in there from camping 30 years ago. YMMV.

If you go up Gualala Rd, on the NE side of the river, you'll pass an RV campground, and there's a (public?) river access where the locals swill beer and 4wd down to the river. I haven't run into any surly locals, but I can always hear faint banjo music in my head down there.

If you want to do a big road ride, you could start at Stewart's Point, go east, left at the top towards Healdsburg, left at the iron bridge at Annapolis Rd, and follow that back to Hwy 1. You'd end up having to ride a couple miles of Hwy 1, but it'd be a nice ride. Beware that mapquest shows a road called Miller Ridge Rd that seems to be a shortcut for this ride, but it's private, and a guy in a jeep with a gun and a dog will kick you out if you try to ride it. Ask me how I know.

If you're going this weekend, there's a jumbo negative low tide. Don't miss being down by the rocks during that if you can. You'll see all kinds of ocean life that's normally under water.

Nim

Jan 2004

Good job! Thanks for info!

Sounds like I can keep myself busy for a while - thanks again.

Coors, the american beer.
    guala eh? That mall out there is dope ... they got those shirts that say "Where in the hell is guala!" Haha ... for real though that mexican place in the southern gravel parking lot is cool
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Medium?

If you want Mexican

drive about five miles north to Anchor Bay. The Mexican is at the North end of the "mall" on the left. Way better than Gualala.

Food at the Gualala Hotel has always been good and a good deal.

pewpewpew Moderator
    mmm i have eaten at that hotel and its great. I wsn't into biking at the time so i hiked/ran some trails near the beach ont he south side of town - was pretty but flat. I recall a whole bunch of signs stating that people get whisked away by waves down there. I kept hoping for action but no rogue waves were seen.