fc
    head minion Administrator

Rider Mike Shaw dies in Lost and Found Gravel Race

Anyone know anything more about this?

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2120...d-gravel-race/

Very confusing information around the unfortunate death of this 70-year old rider.

A good friend of mine said big crash at the cattle guard while he was very close at at he food aid station.

Mike Shaw, 70, dies at Lost and Found gravel race | VeloNews.com

Looks like and amazing guy!
    His Strava? Riding every day:
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/3745722

His linked in?
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-j-shaw-b145294a/

in the center:Name:  mike-shaw-wente-vineyards-1528387961.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  43.1 KB
    IPA will save America

Dropshot Champ!
    The reply that you quoted in this thread, says heart attack:

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...n-1079627.html

Not helpful.
    Oh, man! What a sad thing.

Heavenly trails. RIP.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I not health or medical professional. Without coming off as unempathetic, a heart attack at 70 sounds almost like due course. But why does it happen to a guy that's been riding everyday? And if it was an underlying condition...it only rear it's ugly head when he's 70, and probably as fit or fitter than he was 30 years ago?

How do we make sense of this?

mtbr member
    Kudo's to him for for doing what he loved doing. RIP

For myself, knowing my body as I age? I would never compete and push my HR to a race level at 50, 60 or 70 But that's me

fc
    I never, ever want to die doing what I love. I'd rather die of old age.

I think everyone assumes Mike Shaw died of a heart attack, because of his age. Is there even any hint of that occurrence? Just want to know.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I was working the aid station just ahead of this incident. I heard that other riders watched him just kind of slump off the bike, then a rider who was a first responder got to him and immediately began CPR, however, when the medical personnel working the race got there he was gone. It was a particularly hot and dry day out there, I've been at all of the Lost and Found rides, and this one was the hottest. We went through close to 200 gallons of water at that aid station, I would say at least 65% of riders were not prepared for the heat. The SBTS guys where besides themselves which is understandable.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    I was working the aid station just ahead of this incident. I heard that other riders watched him just kind of slump off the bike, then a rider who was a first responder got to him and immediately began CPR, however, when the medical personnel working the race got there he was gone. It was a particularly hot and dry day out there, I've been at all of the Lost and Found rides, and this one was the hottest. We went through close to 200 gallons of water at that aid station, I would say at least 65% of riders were not prepared for the heat. The SBTS guys where besides themselves which is understandable.
    Thank you, very much appreciated info.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    2 years ago was really really hot. This year was not too bad. Either way, won't bring the poor guy back. RIP.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I never, ever want to die doing what I love. I'd rather die of old age.
    Absolutely. "He died doing what he loved" sounds great, until you think about it and there was probably a lot more doing what he loved left. I'd rather live till I can do absolutely none of the things I love anymore (and not find any new ones), then I'm done.

mtbr member
    I'm 70 also in a few weeks. I've watched friends and relatives die in hospitals, care homes, and hospice. If I die riding, skiing, or hiking in the backcountry please raise a beer and toast me. Dying fast and clean is a blessing. Yes, I will try to live, ride, ski, paddle, and hike forever but I'd be grateful for avoiding death in the medical industry. The backcountry is much better; just don't let it be a lion or bear.

And yes, there have been times when I'm climbing on skis or the bikes and my heart begins to feel a bit sketchy. That's time to back off and perhaps descend. Age cannot be beaten, just defied.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I'm 70 also in a few weeks. I've watched friends and relatives die in hospitals, care homes, and hospice. If I die riding, skiing, or hiking in the backcountry please raise a beer and toast me. Dying fast and clean is a blessing. Yes, I will try to live, ride, ski, paddle, and hike forever but I'd be grateful for avoiding death in the medical industry. The backcountry is much better; just don't let it be a lion or bear.

And yes, there have been times when I'm climbing on skis or the bikes and my heart begins to feel a bit sketchy. That's time to back off and perhaps descend. Age cannot be beaten, just defied.
    I'll raise a toast to you now. Happy early Birthday and congrats on not letting a number define you.

Here's a toast to all of our older members who are still riding trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

I could not agree more! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I'll raise a toast to you now. Happy early Birthday and congrats on not letting a number define you.

Here's a toast to all of our older members who are still riding trails!

My 75yo best friend has a double-size aneurysm in his ascending Aorta, for 13 years. He stopped riding motos & dirtbikes with me in 2005 because it could POP the next time he hit the ground. :-(

Then 2 years ago, he got his 1st eMTB, and we are shredding dirt together again! Going to Downieville with me for his 1st time in July.

Live more, worry less! :-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Amen brother.....and Happy Birthday

Moderator Moderator

Well said, no one here gets out alive. The adventurous life should be a serious interaction with nature where danger and the risk of death is a possibility. I'm loosely quoting Reinhold Messner here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    I not health or medical professional. Without coming off as unempathetic, a heart attack at 70 sounds almost like due course. But why does it happen to a guy that's been riding everyday? And if it was an underlying condition...it only rear it's ugly head when he's 70, and probably as fit or fitter than he was 30 years ago?

How do we make sense of this?
    A lot of cyclist and endurance athletes that you think are the epitome of health drop dead from heart attacks and at young ages. There was a cyclist in his early 20's that died from a heart attack this year during Paris–Roubaix.

Here's a good article on the subject.

Cycling to extremes: Heart health and endurance sports | VeloNews.com
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1