Results 1 to 47 of 47
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239

    Rider Falls 200í in Auburn

    Does anyone know more than the vague news reports? Seems like it was on Confluence. Thatís about all I know. Iím guessing it was closer to the top.

    Cyclist rescued after 200-foot fall down El Dorado Co. cliff
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SikeMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    413
    I've only ridden Confluence once, but the takeaway for me was that there are definitely a few dangerously exposed sections on that trail.

  3. #3
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,093
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    I've only ridden Confluence once, but the takeaway for me was that there are definitely a few dangerously exposed sections on that trail.
    Just like the roads down and out of the confluence.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  4. #4
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,588
    How high is 200 feet? Visually?

    I have two guesses... clipless and luck of the Irish! Very unfortunate indeed but only moderate injuries?
    IPA will save America

  5. #5
    Chump
    Reputation: Original Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31
    It's been a while since I've ridden Confluence, but although there are exposed sections, I don't recall there being anyplace where there was that much height to drop. 50', maybe, but 200' is a really long way. It seems like the news report either got the height or the trail wrong.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239
    There are a few spots I could see closer to the top if you went OTB you could catch some momentum in your fall and basically not stop until you get to the bottom. I would say like right after the waterfall section there is a pretty fast straight away that if something weird happen that spot doesn't have tree cover to stop ya on your way down. The only reason this spot sticks out to me is because I saw a guy wash out there once and come pretty damn close to going over the edge.

    I think there is a rock booter right around that part as well that is on the river side of the trail.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blackies Pasture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    450
    The picture shows them loading the guy from the downstream side of the bridge, after the end of the actual "Confluence" trail itself.

    Maybe happened on one of the side trails off of Stagecoach? I'm sure someone can chime who knows. I'm glad the guy is ok.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239
    Maybe the guy was just hoisted out with the helicopter and they are wheeling him to the paramedic? Somebody on MTBR had to be there! C'mon already we need the details. LOL
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    How high is 200 feet? Visually?

    I have two guesses... clipless and luck of the Irish! Very unfortunate indeed but only moderate injuries?
    This looks like 50-70 feet to me.

  10. #10
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    This looks like 50-70 feet to me.
    Yeah, no 200' cliff on Confluence. I think it's like 35'-40' or so. Here is the same section looking west down the trail. -24201715239.jpg

    Doubled checked with Google Earth and it says 25' from trail to water's edge but it could be off by 10'.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    112
    Really glad the guy is OK. I'm not familiar with Confluence, but I am guessing this is a case of "it was 5 lbs on the boat, 20 on the dock." 50ft for real, 100ft by the time the paramedics got the guy on the helicopter, 200ft by the time the guy got to the hospital.

  12. #12
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,901

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,325
    Bender sender?!
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Really glad the guy is OK. I'm not familiar with Confluence, but I am guessing this is a case of "it was 5 lbs on the boat, 20 on the dock." 50ft for real, 100ft by the time the paramedics got the guy on the helicopter, 200ft by the time the guy got to the hospital.
    i like this. 5lbs on the boat, 20 on the dock....

    falling, i bet that felt exactly like 200 feet. i am so happy the rider is okay.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239
    I agree with what you guys said about the distance to the water. That's definitely about right. I wonder how the hell he went over there.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  16. #16
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,279
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    How high is 200 feet? Visually?

    I have two guesses... clipless and luck of the Irish! Very unfortunate indeed but only moderate injuries?
    ha...yeah, there is nothing near "200 feet high" on the Auburn trails.

    This is 129 feet vertical straight down

    -img_4361custom.jpg

    -shoe-terminalvelocity.jpg

  17. #17
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,588
    wow-34885695_10155486486875911_1424768637813653504_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239
    Here is a shot of that spot earlier this year. You can see the sign warning about the exposure, but you can also see how far the trail is from the edge. I don't know how that happened. I wonder if it was that classic case of looking at the river and steering the way you were looking?



    EDIT: *ooops, forgot someone put a pic of it up earlier.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    402
    couple of spots on confluence were a badly placed pedal stroke can lead to disaster.. happened to me on my 1st time riding there, luckily my bike was caught by the shrubbery and im heavy (and didnt roll far

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chukwithak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    148

    Rider Falls 200í in Auburn

    Yeah, met him at the top of Culvert and he was trying to get to Stonewall. **** and I rode with him to the bottom of Stonewall and I shuttled him and ***** to Confluence before I took off. He seemed like a decent rider and maybe taking things a bit faster than he could bite off. ***** is the only one that was around when he took the actual spill. My guess is he just lost control. He did have a GoPro running in his helmet, so that video might pop up some time. Believe his name was Chris is I remember right.

    Was not a 200í fall, was maybe 30-40í at most. Karen all stated she thinks he only broke his arm.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Chukwithak; 06-15-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    '18 Ibis Ripmo GX/XT

    Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)

  21. #21
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukwithak View Post

    Yeah, met him at the top of Culvert and he was trying to get to Stonewall. **** and I rode with him to the bottom of Stonewall and I shuttled him and ***** to Confluence before I took off. He seemed like a decent rider and maybe taking things a bit faster than he could bite off. ***** is the only one that was around when he took the actual spill. My guess is he just lost control. He did have a GoPro running in his helmet, so that video might pop up some time. Believe his name was Chris is I remember right.

    Was not a 200í fall, was maybe 30-40í at most. Karen all stated she thinks he only broke his arm.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Appreciate the first-hand info very much.
    IPA will save America

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chukwithak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    148

    Rider Falls 200í in Auburn

    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Appreciate the first-hand info very much.
    Not a problem. **** said she wasnít going to post anything so i kept my mouth shut...but then News was doing what news does best, so I think she wanted to clear the air.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Chukwithak; 06-15-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    '18 Ibis Ripmo GX/XT

    Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239
    That video...YOUTUBE GOLD!!!
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  24. #24
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,353
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    This looks like 50-70 feet to me.
    Yeah maybe right. But a 70, 50, 35 or 10' tumble for that matter could do you in big time up there. Maybe some of the backseat EnduroBro riders should take a tumble off one of the sketchy parts and get back to us on here after their hospital bed time.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yeti575inCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,579
    My buddy earlier this year, just had that happen to him. Caught himself on bushes on the slope and his bike with his foot... luckily we were training confluence.
    Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    couple of spots on confluence were a badly placed pedal stroke can lead to disaster.. happened to me on my 1st time riding there, luckily my bike was caught by the shrubbery and im heavy (and didnt roll far
    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    41
    Hospital Air - legendary! Do you even ski anymore?? Damn.

  27. #27
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,588
    Iím guessing that he looked where he didnít want to go. And then he could not unclip in time.

    It could have been game over! Wow.
    IPA will save America

  28. #28
    Sweater
    Reputation: Buzzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Iím guessing that he looked where he didnít want to go. And then he could not unclip in time.

    It could have been game over! Wow.
    Itís easy to do and happens fast. I was riding that trail a couple years ago and zoned out just watching the river. The trail was narrow in that spot and my sidewall grabbed the uphill side slope of the trail. Down I went, luckily I fell to the uphill side. So I packed some dirt in the cuts and was on my way, but it could have just as easily gone bad.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239
    I'm glad the water wasn't running like it was in my video. That could have ended differently for the dude. Good to hear he's not too banged up.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2

    My first hand knowledge of falling 2000í feet lol

    That picture makes it look like I was just chillin down there. Fire rescue and the bad ass Park Ranger which was first on scene told me it was at least a 30í vert drop. When I saw the report my first thought ďof course the stupid news gets it wrong.Ē.Looks like I lost my front tire in the video. I had no issues unclipping for those saying that. I just couldnít grab anything to stop my forward momentum. The video is pretty sic, but unfornately I will not be posting it on the internet. This incident has created tremendous stress for my wife and kids. It all hit home when the ER staff gave my wife my gear. We sat there and looked at the helmet. My helmet basically saved my life or at least life as I know it now. We realized what could of happened. Also Smith Forefront Helmets are absolutely amazing. I need a new one though. POC VPD 2.0(left knee, left elbow cut off by rescue personnel) pads saved my skin from massive gashes, rips, and tears. Osprey Raptor (cut off by rescue personnel.) pack saved my back Iím sure. Gloves saved my hands big time. My skin is basically fine which is making recovery easier. I havenít assessed the damage of my bike yet. I basically received impact injuries. Dislocated Left Elbow, massive bruising and deep tissue dmg on right side of body, my worst injury wasnít noticed until I got to hospital and ran through the scanner a few times. My left knee was broken on the Outside of the Tibia plateau. Which basically supports all of our body weight. I received surgery on that knee. Iíll be off my bike for at least 8 weeks min. I have not been home yet. I have at least another 6-8 days in rehab. All the rescue personnel that helped were amazing and very professional and definitely know their shit. Matt your a badass for climbing down there, saving my bike, GoPro, calling my wife, and securing my truck. Karen thanks for talking to me and keeping me calm until the Park ranger showed up. It means a lot. At that point I was in shock, freezing, and not feeling very well. Especially after looking at my arm laying in an awkward direction just floating in the water. Your voice kept me calm and alert until I heard the Park Ranger ask for my name. As for the Instagram pic Coulda made it look gnarlier though. Heli pic is pretty sic. It was very cold being winched up like that. And thanks Chuck for the shuttle in your Outback. I am very fortunate to have been riding with great people that day. Iíll add a couple pics. I gotta redeem that chillin by the river pic.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RBoardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckirvine View Post
    That picture makes it look like I was just chillin down there. Fire rescue and the bad ass Park Ranger which was first on scene told me it was at least a 30í vert drop. When I saw the report my first thought ďof course the stupid news gets it wrong.Ē.Looks like I lost my front tire in the video. I had no issues unclipping for those saying that. I just couldnít grab anything to stop my forward momentum. The video is pretty sic, but unfornately I will not be posting it on the internet. This incident has created tremendous stress for my wife and kids. It all hit home when the ER staff gave my wife my gear. We sat there and looked at the helmet. My helmet basically saved my life or at least life as I know it now. We realized what could of happened. Also Smith Forefront Helmets are absolutely amazing. I need a new one though. POC VPD 2.0(left knee, left elbow cut off by rescue personnel) pads saved my skin from massive gashes, rips, and tears. Osprey Raptor (cut off by rescue personnel.) pack saved my back Iím sure. Gloves saved my hands big time. My skin is basically fine which is making recovery easier. I havenít assessed the damage of my bike yet. I basically received impact injuries. Dislocated Left Elbow, massive bruising and deep tissue dmg on right side of body, my worst injury wasnít noticed until I got to hospital and ran through the scanner a few times. My left knee was broken on the Outside of the Tibia plateau. Which basically supports all of our body weight. I received surgery on that knee. Iíll be off my bike for at least 8 weeks min. I have not been home yet. I have at least another 6-8 days in rehab. All the rescue personnel that helped were amazing and very professional and definitely know their shit. Matt your a badass for climbing down there, saving my bike, GoPro, calling my wife, and securing my truck. Karen thanks for talking to me and keeping me calm until the Park ranger showed up. It means a lot. At that point I was in shock, freezing, and not feeling very well. Especially after looking at my arm laying in an awkward direction just floating in the water. Your voice kept me calm and alert until I heard the Park Ranger ask for my name. As for the Instagram pic Coulda made it look gnarlier though. Heli pic is pretty sic. It was very cold being winched up like that. And thanks Chuck for the shuttle in your Outback. I am very fortunate to have been riding with great people that day. Iíll add a couple pics. I gotta redeem that chillin by the river pic.
    Thanks for sharing the experience. Glad you sustained no ďseriousĒ injuries. Hope for a speedy recovery.

    And donít worry, FC thinks clipless pedals are the cause of everyone who posts about a crash.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    189
    Glad you are alright and thanks for the 1st hand report.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: babybabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    115
    Yeah, man. You sound upbeat, which is great, all things considered. Best wishes during your rehab and getting back on two wheels!

  34. #34
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,847
    Yikes !
    Happy to hear the report and fast healing to you. Sounds like you kept your wits in tact and had great help and assistance by those attending !! Well done.
    It sounds like you might feel a tinge of guilt for scaring the hell out of your family. Been there a few times myself. That's a healthy reaction.

    My last fall was about 20" into a hill but I'm a wimp and will talk about 20" falls.
    lol
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  35. #35
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,901
    Good to hear you are gonna live just fine. Your video will be on the internet someday though! Hopefully to help pay for your medical bills!

  36. #36
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,588
    9 lives! You might have used more than one there.

    Hopefully, every day gets better from here on. Come back strong as I'm sure you'll have a greater appreciation for each day.

    Heal well. Thank you for updating us.
    IPA will save America

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2
    So here are a few pics. Everyone loves X-ray pics. Those are post surgery on left knee. They added that steel plate with 6 screws. Then the point before i started the freefall following my bike down. Clipped from the video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3049.jpg  

    -img_3048.jpg  

    -img_3047.jpg  


  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    442
    That picture is gnarly.... terrifying. Glad you're going to be okay. Healing vibes sent to a fellow rider.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    908
    Yipe! Glad you are healing

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    879
    Whoa dude, that's a hell of a day. Had a tibea plateau fx myself last year. No fun. Keep that knee mobilized as soon as you're allowed to move it and don't skimp on the PT and weight training when you get back to weight bearing. Atrophy from non-weight bearing is a bitch.

  41. #41
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,756
    Thanks for the update and good to hear you are on the road to recovery. And as bad as it is it could have been much worse. Crazy story to tell your grandkids some day. My grampa was a gnar rider dude. Or whatever the lingo is in 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  42. #42
    More pie please
    Reputation: Skyline35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckirvine View Post
    That picture...
    Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!
    Long live long rides

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B1KER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckirvine View Post
    Looks like I lost my front tire in the video. .
    Man that sucks! I'm glad to hear you are going to recover from this. The alternative could have been much worse. As others have said, thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you had some good people to help you through that situation. Thank God they were there. I wish you the best of luck in a speedy recovery!
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,851
    So happy to hear your injuries will heal. Thank you for sharing all the details. Heal quickly!

  45. #45
    Clever Title
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    496
    That pic is enough for me... Not sure I want to see the video now... Eek.
    Glad you're mostly ok and will heal up.

  46. #46
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,625
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    That pic is enough for me... Not sure I want to see the video now... Eek.
    Glad you're mostly ok and will heal up.
    Right? That there is a CLIFF, futher muckers! Dayammm.

    Heal good to ride again, glad you are still with us!
    What's wrong with him??

  47. #47
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,650
    Good to hear you made it thorough with potential to fully recover... Heal up quick!

Similar Threads

  1. Tire help for Auburn, Salmon Falls, Folsom! Wolverine vs WeirWolf?
    By ultimatefreerider in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM
  2. Falls Creek Falls has a small change at the bottom
    By donutboy in forum Washington
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 11:05 PM
  3. How is Salmon Falls Vs. Auburn
    By digthemlows in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM
  4. Falls Creek Falls conditions??
    By WHALENARD in forum Oregon
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.