Rider Down...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rider Down...

Nobody

Rider Down...

Well,
    What I hoped was going to be a quick heal, just turned into a bad one. High speed water bar action at St. Joes (probably the least technical place I ride) turned bad. I jumped a water bar in a rocky section of manzanita right before the serpentine intersection and got a little off balance in the air from pulling up too hard. Tried to throw a foot down to aid the potentially bad landing and my knee took the brunt of it all. I did not crash, so maybe I prevented what could have been harsher injuries, but I got a call from the Dr. last night with results of the MRI.

As we discussed by phone, the MRI shows a tear of your anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). You also have tears of both menisci. There are some small fractures in the very back of your knee that are small and do not need to be addressed. You will want to consider surgical treatment for the ACL and meniscus tears, but not necessarily immediately. It is usually better to let the knee calm down first.

I'm meeting with another Orthopedic who repaired my shoulder a few years back to go over MRI data and see what he thinks. When I mentioned his name to the current Ortho, he said that would be my best choice. Current Doc seems to think I need some PT before surgery can be done...

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Buddy!!!!! Da heck, this sounds bad.

You in pain? Painkillers, crutches?

Keep us posted. You are a good man and we need you out there spreading the stoke.
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    Yep, pain is constant right now. Painkillers, crutches, the whole deal. Hopefully I can get in to see the Rockstar surgeon this week and get a plan together.

mtbr member
    Oh man, hope you heal up well and soon! Good luck with the surgery and road ahead!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Argh that sounds so painful! I hope you get an appointment with your rockstar surgeon ASAP and heal up real well. It's only upwards from here!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had that from demo needing surgery. Were you on spd?

Heal soon man

Nobody
    On spdís, but was unclipped easily to get a foot down.

Flat Pluto Society
    Dayamnn, good luck, man. Keep us posted.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    By all means try a PT who is also a cyclist for a month or so. And also find a good, experienced, (at least 15-20 years in practice) acupuncturist. It's one profession where professional experience really makes a difference.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    By all means try a PT who is also a cyclist for a month or so. And also find a good, experienced, (at least 15-20 years in practice) acupuncturist. It's one profession where professional experience really makes a difference.
    Thanks, Iíll look into that. Iím actually hoping the initial PT will get me back to walking without crutches because my work depends on it. I canít get in the clean room like this and will be working on documentation of the equipment I helped to develop, instead of working on finalizing BETA tool for shipment. Iíd like to be able dictate when I take the time for surgery.

My surgeon is also an Ironman Triathalete so he cycles, as well.

mtbr member
    Dr. Stanek?

Heal quick bro.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Dr. Stanek?

Heal quick bro.
    Dr. Richard Gayle.

Thanks

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Went to Dr Charpentier in Willits and he is amazeballs. So is his mentor.

Heal fast!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Ouch! Heal up quick dude!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Wēk SŰs
    healing vibes...

jms
    mtbr member
    Crap. That's a huge bummer. Hope the cost and down time aren't too grim, and your recovery is speedy and full.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Crap. That's a huge bummer. Hope the cost and down time aren't too grim, and your recovery is speedy and full.
    Cost will be minimal. Called insurance and I $7 away from making deductible and $700ish away from making max out of pocket for the year. Definitely need to get the surgery and PT done this year. Iíll also take advantage of the insurance and get back to allergy shots this year.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Cost will be minimal. Called insurance and I $7 away from making deductible and $700ish away from making max out of pocket for the year. Definitely need to get the surgery and PT done this year. Iíll also take advantage of the insurance and get back to allergy shots this year.
    Good to hear....

To keep yourself from going crazy while you're waiting to get the damage repaired and maintain some riding fitness, maybe, set a bike up on a wind trainer on the back patio [assuming you have one], get a subscription to Flobikes and stream the Giro D'Italia on a PC, while spinning for an hour or so daily? Be sure to add in some of the Redbull World Cup stuff when your beyond that asphalt tolerance point.

Forza!
    My Favorite Peeps:

Nobody
    Saw the surgeon today. Based on the extent of the Meniscus damage, he wants to do surgery ASAP. The ACL tear could have been ignored for a while since it can't get any worse, but the meniscus is a hisk risk area and better to repair now while it can still all be done arthroscopic.

1st opening is 2 weeks. Hoping for a cancellation that will allow me in earlier.

Luckily no "prehab" is required because I've been working my ass off to regain mobility and I'm good to go.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Saw the surgeon today. Based on the extent of the Meniscus damage, he wants to do surgery ASAP. The ACL tear could have been ignored for a while since it can't get any worse, but the meniscus is a hisk risk area and better to repair now while it can still all be done arthroscopic.

1st opening is 2 weeks. Hoping for a cancellation that will allow me in earlier.

Luckily no "prehab" is required because I've been working my ass off to regain mobility and I'm good to go.
    wowowowow. crazy man.

St. Joes booters huh?
    IPA will save America

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Feel yah. Tore my right ACL and had a "bucket handle" meniscus tear to the lateral side snowboarding 4/19/19. I really had no choice but to go with surgery as the "bucket handle" tear means it would have been impossible for me to fully extend my leg plus it would be pretty painful. The meniscus damage was way more problematic than the ACL tear and is extending my recovery time tremendously. Are you getting repairs to the menisci? Or meniscectomies? sorry if you mentioned it earlier. Repairs take longer to heal.

Had surgery on 5/9/19 and had my first post-op appt this past Wednesday. I am in a brace (locked straight) for 6 weeks, 100% non-weight bearing. I'm starting PT 5/28/19. If it was just an ACL reconstruction I would start PT 1-2 weeks after surgery. The difference is the time it takes for the meniscus to heal properly.

I also opted for a PRP injection...not covered by insurances since it's not a clinically proven treatment option but since its my own platelets I figure it couldn't hurt and is worth it if it improves my healing time.

I'm sure you know people that have had ACL injuries. I've had my fair share of sports related injuries and surgeries but this one is by far the most challenging simply because its not just my right leg (i can't drive) but because I have to use the brace in a locked out straight position whenever I'm moving around....really sucks and even going up/down just a few stair steps is risky and challenging. The first 2-3 days post surgery were also pretty painful. Realistically i'm missing the entire next snowboard season and much of this biking season. i will be able to get on my bike much sooner than boarding but with everyone i've talked to, there's the mental part of the recovery as well...not completely trusting the knee. I've dislocated my rt elbow, left shoulder, compound fracture to the left forearm, broke the SAME arm again (not compound) 2 years later and now this ACL/meniscus injury. Have to say this one is the worst. Will be the longest recovery, it's the most debilitating for sure and with the exception of the compound fracture, was the most painful.

Good luck with your surgery and rehab, sounds like you are with a good medical team...