Rider Down @ GAP Thanks to riders, Fireman and Open Space Rangers!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rider Down @ GAP Thanks to riders, Fireman and Open Space Rangers!!

I don't know were to start.

So maybe I'll start from the inside out. I think we have all seen some of the Ranger bashing from time to time. Heck, I even once got told to pull over for speeding while going UP-HILL on a fire-road, with nobody but rangers in sight. After a warning, I was let go. So I'll say, I understand both sides before I drool all over, telling how appreciative of MidPen and most of the Rangers I am.

Normally, I ride from my house in Belmont to the trails, Skeggs, GAP or even Demo on rare occasions. This time, I had a friend or two, who while race, may not have the legs for the full loop. So we drove my truck, cutting out Water Dog and the long commute to Windy Hill. We parked at the bottom of Windy Hill and all was fun...

About 18 miles into our ride, we turned and headed back North via the GAP. A 1/2 mile in Martin went OTB destroying his Helmet, skinning his body everywhere and distorting his clavicle. I was way off the front, waiting (starting to figure something was wrong) when one of my buddies caught up and told me of the issue. I hammered back, found him walking with one of our other friends, but really, really hurt. Our cells didn't work, so I retuned back to the gap and off the the Fire Station to get help.

While I beat the fire truck back to the lot at the GAP, the fireman responded quickly. They were super, provided Martin with a blanket and called the ambulance. I wish I knew them by name to thank them..

Two nice riders agreed to take Martin's bike to the Fire Station as they left... Thanks if you guys see this!

OK, this is were it gets a bit weird.. Martin, for some reason decided NOT to take the ambulance and that left him screwed! I takes about an hour + to drive from were my truck was to the GAP and were still on our bikes!

During this time, an Open Space Ranger was writing her report. She realized our predicament and offered to shuttle two of us and our bikes to the top of Windy Hill. This was key in getting Martin back. I just can not say enough, nor express how much she helped. We are blessed to have Rangers like this, blessed to have so much open space to ride... Thanks MidPen.. Drooling, over.

Now, Martin should have taken the Ambulance ride and gone directly into surgery. His Collarbone was destroyed and need surgery and a metal plate. The X-rays looked like a jumble of bones -- just gross.

Anyway, THANKS to ALL that helped!!

Lets get the thank you for the Ranger out of the way first.
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

Shrockie
    wow. quite an experience!

I hope you get better quickly, Martin. (I hear you on wanting to skip the $800 ambulance ride. :P )

Big ups, to all that helped.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker
    Isn't that the Ranger's job?

"Now, Martin should have taken the Ambulance ride and gone directly into surgery"

"Martin, for some reason decided NOT to take the ambulance and that left him screwed! "

"She realized our predicament and offered to shuttle two of us and our bikes to the top of Windy Hill"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You ride from belmont to demo on a mountain bike? I refuse to drive that far myself.

middle ring single track

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by acctnut
    You ride from belmont to demo on a mountain bike? I refuse to drive that far myself.
    Thinking the same thing!

Your are the MAN! (gender assumption!)
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

banned
    Nov 2007
    So she helped some park users that were in need of assistance? Sounds like her job title to me.
    Dear member of our community of MTBR.com.

I am not sure as to how to offer a reply other than to offer some quotes for the enlightened ones amongst us to decipher. I am humbly quoting some items that I think of might be of some interest to them.

I realize that the things I quoted may be of no significance of any sort, and do wish to apologize in advance for troubling you with having to read them.

I await their guidance.

Shrockie
    So she helped some park users that were in need of assistance? Sounds like her job title to me.
    true.. They are there to help.. but by no means did she need to shuttle anyone around.

Her job would be to help them to the closest access point to Emergency care, which they denied..

that's when she went beyond the call of duty, to help further by driving them around.. Driving them around wasn't her job at all.

she could have easily said "there's your ambulance dude, if you're not getting into it, you're on your own, I've got things I need to be doing.."..

Perhaps I just find it to be good policy to be appreciative of help and services I receive.. chances are, she'll go out of her way again, if she feels her help is appreciated, which in this case, it was..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    People can be pretty kind after an accident. Once this very attractive lady drove me 15 miles home in her new Land Rover after I was in a head on collision with a car on my road bike. I was all bloody and dirty, with my shoulder visibly all screwed up and tweeked. She even put my bike in the back.

I learned long ago not to accept an ambulance, unless maybe you need CPR, or are passing out all the way to the ER.

mtbr member
    Beaver- your right!!! How dare that lady do her job and then get praised for it. What the hell kind of society do we live in where people thank each other and offer praise and support. I'm with you man. I bet this mid-pen lady also takes longer than allowed meal breaks and then collects overtime for forcing her help on the MTB community. I bet she is a jilted lover of some guy who used to bike and he cheated on her and that is why she hates the cycling community. I think you should go down to the Mid-pen office and demand she take a psychological exam to see what in the world is wrong with her. Shame on everyone here for supporting this communist organization!! Please remember that we only offer negative comments and buzz kills on this forum.
    They never made the "Slowster"

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    Beaver- your right!!! How dare that lady do her job and then get praised for it. What the hell kind of society do we live in where people thank each other and offer praise and support. I'm with you man. I bet this mid-pen lady also takes longer than allowed meal breaks and then collects overtime for forcing her help on the MTB community. I bet she is a jilted lover of some guy who used to bike and he cheated on her and that is why she hates the cycling community. I think you should go down to the Mid-pen office and demand she take a psychological exam to see what in the world is wrong with her. Shame on everyone here for supporting this communist organization!! Please remember that we only offer negative comments and buzz kills on this forum.
    We don't have to go to extremes. So, yes she went above and beyond the call of duty, for which she duly received some praise. At the same time, I would expect rangers to help out in time of need since that ought to be a good chunk of their job (beyond radaring and harassing unsuspecting cyclists).
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    My post is sarcasm as I expect you get. What I don't care for was how this thread took on an entirely different direction from one comment made by a guy who seems pissed at the world. When people post stories like this, I don't think they are trying to start a discussion about job titles and expectations of performance. I feel they are simply trying to share a story that had a happy ending (except for injury) because most stories including authority figures are negative in nature. That is the way life is and I get it. Really, I do. I might be a tool bag myself, but I think the story is intended to offer a positive perspective to an otherwise negative connotation associated with rangers, cops, ect...
    They never made the "Slowster"

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i still firmly believe that virtually all cops/rangers/paramedics etc. are actually pretty awesome folks who go out of their way to help people.....it's in their nature and shows in their profession of choice....

the select few that are power trippy self righteous retards can cast an ugly pallor that is hard to overcome...and only takes a single 'bad' encounter to skew an individuals view for life....unfortunately....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

fc
    head minion Administrator
    To shuttle injured/stranded riders is not her job and that's pretty risky but a valiant choice on her part. For that, I commend her. I think I know who you're talking about btw. You gotta give credit where credit is due. Pay it forward.

I've met many of the midpen rangers and 90% of them are super cool.

But they do work for the evil empire with very discriminatory rules and fines. So the yin-yang ranger balance is still intact.

fc

mtbr member
    For those that choose not to take advantage of ambulance, do you guys/gals have medical insurance? Wouldnt that be covered as part of your plan? Or is that a separate $800 charge to pay?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    For those that choose not to take advantage of ambulance, do you guys/gals have medical insurance? Wouldnt that be covered as part of your plan? Or is that a separate $800 charge to pay?
    An ambulance ride is typically $2000 in the bay area I think. Some folks' insurance does not cover it.

That is the primary reason why folks decline the ambulance ride.

fc

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If I go to a hospital and they do their job, I'm still very appreciative of what they do. Just because it's their job doesn't mean that they don't deserve praise and thanks.

Dismissing someone's kind actions, as "they are just doing their job" is a ****** statement.

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004
    Finally, someone who understands the point of all this. ................................
    The point of all this is to say thanks for an act of kindness. Props for something refreshing and unexpected. It's a cool thread that bridges the gap between two opposed groups.

Instead you manage to derrail it with your snide comments. Don't be that smartass in the peanut gallery throwing one-line cheap shots at every opportunity. Think, post and explain your position on your first post.

mtbr member

Hey Beavers

Isn't that the Ranger's job?
    Don't be a...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole
    Just because it's their job doesn't mean that they don't deserve praise and thanks.
    I did my first ride at Gap this Saturday with a colleague and her husband. I heard that someone broke a collarbone at the beginning portion of my ride. When I came back to the intersection of 9 and 35, there was a gentleman wrapped in a blanket. Sorry that this happened to a fellow rider. I was afraid that this might happened to me, especially being a noob, so I walked my bike in few different places and didn't push my luck too much. The beginning portion was too hard for me, but overall the ride was a blast. But, I digress.

I agree with RabbitHole. There's nothing wrong with giving a praise for a job well done, even if she didn't go above and beyond the call of duty.
    '09 Giant Anthem X, 26er; '14 Lynskey Ridgeline-650b

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker

I used to pay for Blue Cross, but I never used it.

I'll just try the emergency room free medical care route, if I need medical attention.. Even with most insurance plans, if a person is real sick a they can easily end up losing everything or filing bankruptcy.

The people that got shuttled ended up using resources paid for by taxpayers too. So either way the tax payers end up footing part of the bill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    The point of all this is to say thanks for an act of kindness. Props for something refreshing and unexpected. It's a cool thread that bridges the gap between two opposed groups.

Yup! No harm done by saying thanks!

As far as folks declining ambulance rides, I understand if they can get to ER on their own in a non' life threatening situation.

However, as someone who has ended up in ER a few times now for potentially life threatening situations, coming in via ambulance tends to get you admitted ASAP.

mtbr member
    The decision Martin made would not have been mine. Nor could the fireman or his friend talk him into taking the ambulance ride.

Apparently the ambulance was coming from and to Bolder Creek and had to travel some distance. Martin was sure that his insurance wouldn't cover this non-lifethreating injury. He also had questions if the hospital operation would be covered.

I, on the other-hand am a complete whimp; When I broke my ribs at skeggs the first thing I thought of was how the x&%& are they ever going to get the helicopter to me. I was leading a group from out of the area and really felt like I was letting them down. After I calmed down, I finished the ride and road home. While I was in pain and could not breath well, I didn't know how badly I was hurt, and the adrenaline kept me from thinking clearly. Maybe that was Martin's case.

Because Martin refused treatment, it put us all in a bind. Martin wasn't going to budge. I really do have to say that the Ranger came up with the solution. Then even circled back to check on Martin. Again, her willingness to go the extra mile could have stopped much shorter.

BTW two of us went with the ranger and another buddy stayed with Martin in the lot at 9 &35.

Lastly, I like to mention that cells phones just don't work most of the time in the areas many of us ride. Nor did they this time. Riding nearly everyday primarily a solo rider; Often riding long loops that take me thru many Open Space areas, the lack of cell service is a real concern.
    Last edited by diver160651; 09-02-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by diver160651
    The decision Martin made would not have been mine. Nor could the fireman or his friend talk him into taking the ambulance ride.
    When an injured friend refuses an ambulance and you have to get them out, it's called: a test of friendship.

fc

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by diver160651

you can lead a horse to water.......

I'd say Martin owes you guys some beer for the crap he put you through.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Members who have read this thread: 0