Ride recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Ride recommendations

Hello,

I am going to have a full day to get out and do a MTB ride and am looking for recommendations.

I live in the Roseville area.

I ride a trek x-caliber hardtail.

I have recently rode the following:
    Granite bay, salmon falls, lake clementine loop, Foresthill divide, olmstead loop, & TRT from spooner lake to Tahoe city.

I have Mt. Hough scheduled with a family camping trip.

Think more XC ride than just downhill. Please let me know the must ride trails

mtbr member
    Park at the confluence in auburn.

Head east out on quarry trail until you hit the end of the fireroad at Maine Bar. Climb up 100ft to a left on Western States / American Canyon trail. Climb up until you get to Wendall T Robbe trail, where you'll hand a right. Take that west, all the way back towards the confluence, descending back down to quarry trail fireroad via Browns Bar or Western States again. Or cross the highway and hang a right on Wendall T Robbe and it'll pop you out close to where you parked.

Perfect terrain for a hardtail, it's one of the best loops in the area, imo. Some of that is no bikes, but just remember to Be Nice and Say Hi and you shouldn't have any problems. Most folks are happy to see another face out there.

What day are you riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Auburn State Recreation Area is a good bet for hardtail riding near Roseville. Here are 4 options of varying length:

7mi: https://www.trailforks.com/route/auburn-basic-loop/
    11mi: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/7725589/
    17mi: https://www.trailforks.com/route/auburn-loop/
    24mi: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/p...elogid=7811733

The 7 mile option takes you on the Confluence and Culvert Trails. Fun trails with lots of little features (jumps, berms, drops) to hit on the way down. The 11 mile option is the Forest Hill Divide Trail, which is a classic XC loop and very hardtail appropriate. The 17 mile option adds the Forrest Hill Connector trail to FH loop, providing additional flow. The 24 mile option combines the 7 and 14 mile options.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Auburn is good. Hot as balls though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Will definitely checkout the longer Auburn loop, but looking for something I canít do in a regular weekend ride. I can and do regularly ride in Auburn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How about Big Chief? Recent thread on it here: https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...r-1110231.html

I rode upper + lower on Sunday, and think it would be a good XC ride. Lower section was a bit flat for me personally, but would be good for a hardtail. You might consider skipping upper section, and instead starting lower down at Sawtooth trailhead.

I've also that the newly constructed sections of the DLRT are great and absolutely stunning. I plan to check it out on Saturday: https://www.truckeedonnerlandtrust.o...lake-rim-trail

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Big chief sounds/looks fun. When you rode it did you do an out and back or are you able to build into a loop?

mtbr member
    I'll go ahead and say that you'll be beaten to a pulp if you ride Big Chief on a hard tail.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    I'll go ahead and say that you'll be beaten to a pulp if you ride Big Chief on a hard tail.
    What he said

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Have you ridden South Lake? Maybe start off with Armstrong Connector-Sidewinder-Corral. Or if you're feeling the climb head up to Armstrong Pass until it's no fun or it seems too much for the hardtail.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jgohagan View Post
    Big chief sounds/looks fun. When you rode it did you do an out and back or are you able to build into a loop?
    I rode up Sawtooth Road (road 6). I wouldn't recommend riding up the trail--people will be coming down it pretty fast, and trail the signs say MTB'ers are "encouraged" to take the fire road up.

mtbr member
    I'll second third and fourth that Big Chief on a hard tail would suck. It's not impossible but it will definitely be some work. I've been addicted to my hardtail lately and when I rode Big Chief I thought to myself I'm so glad I didn't bring it.

There is a lot you haven't ridden in Auburn. You can add trails on the loops you mentioned to make them longer. If you are doing the Clementine loop you can add an out and back on Connector. There is the Stagecoach climb on the other side of the confluence as well. Once you get to the top you can do Manzanita and then go back up to Upper Stagecoach and do Flood or Junkyard. There is also the Cool loop in the area as well as a bunch of stuff in the OHV park that you can explore.

Rockville is in Fairfield which is a bit of a drive from Roseville but a lot of fun. It's got some really good tech to up your game on. Hidden Falls is close to you. It's all smooth singletrack but is fun. If you are going on the weekend you have to buy parking online before you go. It sells out. If you just try to show up you'll be out of luck. Look up Trail 8 in Sly Park as well. I have videos on most of these trails on my channel. You'll have to go back a bit because the last year is mostly podcasts. But my first 2 years were all ride videos. https://www.youtube.com/b1ker
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Trail 8, also known as Fleming Meadows is a fun trail except for the 2 mile climb! 8) Browns Ravine at the south side of Folsom Lake and Auburn would all be great trails

Hella Olde
    I don't know how y'all ride in the heat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looking at the map of the Auburn trails are the trails south of foresthill road any good? Like ranch, murder, Kennbeck, mammoth, etc.

It looks like they could be built into loops

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How about Hoot and Scott's on Hwy 20 (near Nevada City)?

Fun and flowy, the hardtail should work well there.

Add more miles on other trails around Hwy 20 (Pioneer, Miners, etc.)
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    How about Hoot and Scott's on Hwy 20 (near Nevada City)?

Fun and flowy, the hardtail should work well there.

Add more miles on other trails around Hwy 20 (Pioneer, Miners, etc.)
    Second this. I was scrolling down to recommend it and then saw you mentioned it. Good hardtail riding.

I would also recommend the Tahoe Donner trail system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Is Scottís only a 5 mile trail and hoot 1 or so you build into a loop? Seems like itís a one direction trial not an out and back. If loop do you have a map?

What about the other Nevada city trails Yuba north/south, glacier, pioneer

mtbr member
    Nevada city is a great suggestion. Most folks park at 5mi house, and then go up pioneer as far as they want, then head back down. Add in hoot and scotts for extra grins. Miners might be a bit much for a hardtail in a few spots, but it's definitely doable.

Nevada city trails are perfect for a ht 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Nevada city is a great suggestion. Most folks park at 5mi house, and then go up pioneer as far as they want, then head back down. Add in hoot and scotts for extra grins. Miners might be a bit much for a hardtail in a few spots, but it's definitely doable.

Nevada city trails are perfect for a ht 29.
    Added bonus is that the 5 Mile House is now Ol' Republic Brewing -- perfect after-ride spot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jgohagan View Post
    Is Scottís only a 5 mile trail and hoot 1 or so you build into a loop? Seems like itís a one direction trial not an out and back. If loop do you have a map?

What about the other Nevada city trails Yuba north/south, glacier, pioneer
    Hoot+Scotts for me is about a 16 miles loop with 2k of climbing (almost all on road).

Pioneer is nice cruiser singletrack (mostly) along the highway -- you can connect up wit other trails both towards NC and towards Spaulding/I-80.
    South Yuba is an old classic, doable but maybe not the best on a hardtail. Lots of exposure, and some nice swimming holes.
    North Yuba is near Downieville so that's a whole another story.

mtbr member
    Agree with B1Ker, Hidden Falls. The trail is perfectly suited for hardtails (smooth and buttery). Lots of flow, decent elevation +/-. Super close to you as well.
    Check it out if you haven't:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/hi...regional-park/
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Did clementine with the addition of the foresthill connector. Great addition to the loop. Thanks for the heads up!