Return to Fort Ord Saturday 4/22?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr dismember

Return to Fort Ord Saturday 4/22?

Annadel probably needs another week to dry out. So I'd like to repeat much of last weekends Ft. Ord ride and bring the helmet cam if the weather looks good. Anybody interested in joining me at 9:30 am? I won't be any faster on the uphills, but faster on the downhills with the helmet cam, and there will be much less stopping and waiting. And bring a map in case you get tired of waiting for me. Even in the rain last week the trails were excellent.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006

Right On!

Sure! - I just need to get the new fork in and on the bike by then - probably be cutting it close. Ordered today - hopefully pick it up on Friday.

Any consideration to starting at Creekside Terrace instead of East Garrison? Much closer to the best trails and much less sand. If not, that's cool too!

Despite the current great weather, I don't have any trail reports this week. After my ride Saturday, I diagnosed bent fork stanchions so needless to say I'm not riding until it's replaced! The trails weren't that wet last weekend, and after this week should pretty much dry right up.

I'd love to join y'all - as long all the planets align and I can get everything put back together!

mtbr dismember

East Garrison

I'd prefer East Garrison. I have no idea where Creekside Terrace is. And last week there was virtually no sand to contend with. I'm also very wary of trying something new when I know my knees can take what we did last week. You do realize that I am slower than most? But if you want to get into the video (assuming it's not raining), you may go up hills as fast as you like and then wait for me to follow you down hills.

To put in more miles I thought about going down Goat Trail and then taking Oilwell and Skyline up and going down Hurl Hill, then doing 47/48, and then making our way via 11 to that great 50. I'd be slow on that long climb though. 49, 50 and Goat Trails are definite for a video. 59 was really cool too, but the branches are so low I doubt I could get the camera under them. I hit an overhanging branch last week. Even though I didn't ride the tough spots on Red Rock it would make some good off the bike video if someone went down the gnarly sections.

9:30 OK at East Garrison? And I mean start at 9:30, not 10:15. It would be nice if Nativeson could lead us up the same way as last week and bring us back on his secret trails. Some really good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    have fun gang, i'm going to give my body a week to heal before going on a big ride...want to make sure i'm totally healed rather than risk more damage. i might do some shorter rides locally but will have to view your video rather than be part of the video...wouldn't it have been interesting if you had the cam on me when i crashed last weekend!!

but the following weekend i'm in...

mtbr dismember

Oscar!

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    ...wouldn't it have been interesting if you had the cam on me when i crashed last weekend!!
    I was really close to you and that tumbling endo would have won an oscar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I was really close to you and that tumbling endo would have won an oscar.
    you would've titled it....."dead man riding!!!"

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    As long as I get the new fork on the bike, I'm up for whatever route folks want to take - as long as I don't get any more of that PO.

As far as the Creekside Terrace trailhead, if you dig out your trail map, its all the way on the right side of the page just below the box with local trail names. By car, it's pretty much right at the intersection of Reservation Rd and Rt 68. If coming down 68 from Salinas, take the Reservation Rd. exit, turn right, go about 50 feet turn left and follow that road around the right-hand curve towards the wilderness. If you know how to get to the Garrison trailhead, Creekside Terrace is about 4 miles further inland on Reservation.

From there, there's an intial climb to get to the trail network, but the trails down there are great.

I understand your desire to stick with what kept the knees happy last week, but give this route from Creekside Terrace a look (map required):

Start with 30 to 03 to 33 back to 03 until Engineer Canyon (or descend 32 to Engineer Canyon). Turn down 38, up 39 to 05 to 56 to 75. Then headover 10 (three -ahem- sisters) down 43, and up the grind (Pilarcitos Canyon) to 11. Down 11 to 50, across Eucalyptus, up 50 to Barloy Canyon Rd. Up to 15 and over to 67, and up to 94, 92, 93 (the rocks - aka Moab). Then go back up the rocks and over 09 across Henniken's Ranch through the minefield and drop out at the top of 50. Go over 22, down 60, and over to 49. Climb 49 to the rock and drop down 49 (watch the brakes) and cut over to Skyline. Go up Skyline to 44 and 41 (The Goat). Then take 02 back to Creekside Terrace.

No idea of the milage, but it would be a nice looooong ride. None of the climbs are all that technical (except the "sisters" on 10) but there are some decent fireroad climbs (the grind and Skyline). The last climb on 02 isn't steep, but is enough to make the last half of 02 (winding singletrack) really nice. Most of this route is singletrack, avoids almost all of the sand and poison oak, and hits most of the best trails out there (Goat, 43, 44, 75, 30, 49, 50, 93, 92, the minefiled, etc...).

I throw that out as a suggestion, but as long as I get a fork on my bike, I'll be happy with any route.

Groveland Trail Heads
    you would've titled it....."dead man riding!!!"

You two are funny

Wherewolf, did you see the other thread- Dan's B- Day Ride- or something like that? It is some of the group from last week. Nativeson has ridden with them a bunch. They want to meet at 9:30 at EG. Maybe we can work something out.

cohenfive, we will miss you. I did enjoy your company on the climb out. Hope you are healing fast.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

mtbr dismember

Too slow for them

Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    Wherewolf, did you see the other thread- Dan's B- Day Ride- or something like that?
    Since I don't know Dan King I didn't read it. But based on what they did last week I'm too slow for that group anyway. I'll show up at East Garrison at 9:30. If anybody wants to join me fine. But I won't be offended if you want to join the faster group. I ride solo all the time.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I would suggest communicating with the other group and working it out. It's perfectly reasonable to see a fast, slow, and slower rides in one big happy group. Make the effort. It's worthwhile.

francois

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-chop
    As long as I get the new fork on the bike, I'm up for whatever route folks want to take - as long as I don't get any more of that PO.
    Waiting for a bike part the day before a big ride is a recipe for disappointment. Unless you have a tracking number, you gotta have a plan B.

Poison oak will be out of control. Last week, I've never seen more poison oak in my life. Hit it with 5 days of sunshine and that stuff will be absolutely insane. I would suggest to everyone to be fully covered as well as use Ivy Block.

francois

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Waiting for a bike part the day before a big ride is a recipe for disappointment. Unless you have a tracking number, you gotta have a plan B.

Poison oak will be out of control. Last week, I've never seen more poison oak in my life. Hit it with 5 days of sunshine and that stuff will be absolutely insane. I would suggest to everyone to be fully covered as well as use Ivy Block.

francois
    LBS ordered the fork from Fox today () and is expecting 1-2 day delivery at most. I just need to pick it up and get it on there. Using the old fork is not part of Plan B - want to stay out of the ER - so I guess plan B is a solo ride on Sunday.

Poison oak sucks.

Groveland Trail Heads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Since I don't know Dan King I didn't read it. But based on what they did last week I'm too slow for that group anyway. I'll show up at East Garrison at 9:30. If anybody wants to join me fine. But I won't be offended if you want to join the faster group. I ride solo all the time.
    During most of my rides I usually always ride with Mike(nativeson), Dan King(dan51), his gf- Shiloh(the Law) and a few others. You rode with nativeson last week so I do not think your speed is an issue. Nativeson and I could have ridden with the "A" group but we did not. I can't keep up with Francois, K-Max or smw(now) but enjoy riding with them when given the opportunity. Dan's B- Day ride will not be a hammerfest. Just wanted to let you know that your riding speed is never an issue with the groups I ride with. The only requirement is that you have a good time

mtbr member
    Need to spend some time with the family this weekend, so I won't be able to make it. Have a great one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    . Hope you are healing fast.
    my knee is still quite sore and a bit swollen, will take it easy this weekend. might take a lap around china camp with my son to test everything out. another fall would not be a good thing!

thanks for keeping me company on the way out....it helped to have a group to stick with. see you soon.

Groveland Trail Heads
    my knee is still quite sore and a bit swollen, will take it easy this weekend. might take a lap around china camp with my son to test everything out. another fall would not be a good thing!

thanks for keeping me company on the way out....it helped to have a group to stick with. see you soon.

Smart to take it easy. That's cool that your son rides. Don't forget about my offer to show you my "neighborhood" when you have time to come here.

Ariolimax columbianus

Uhhh

Smart to take it easy. That's cool that your son rides. Don't forget about my offer to show you my "neighborhood" when you have time to come here.
    I thought you were working? I guess this is part of the job.

Trail report: Fort Ord just continues to dry out, it's even starting to get a little more sandy in various sections. I rode there Tuesday evening up on the Southeast side (Creekside) rode the lower half of Goat. Yesterday I started @ E.Garrison and did the singletrack we've been riding, down 50, up 49, up 11, down 50, up 50 again, over to 59, and a mix of singletrack back. Both days were fun, tomorrow I'll probably (depending on the weather) hit up the Ord again and may do a loop similar to the one we rode Saturday (maybe less, probably more like Wednesday's), then if I have enough nrg I'll do Dan's B-Day ride. If we get a little rain tomorrow it should firm up the trails perfect for Saturday. See everyone soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0