Not helpful.

Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)

Here.

Heading there today.

*Belllllllch*

mtbr member
    Is this going to be something widely available in supermarkets like Celebration, or is it just a stunt for people who seek out craft beer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Is this going to be something widely available in supermarkets like Celebration, or is it just a stunt for people who seek out craft beer?
    I have been wondering the same thing.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Good question. I would hazard a guess that SN will can/bottle in limited quantities, and the other brewers will have it strictly on tap, but what do I know.

Over 1,000 breweries are taking part, so I'd assume it will be widely available, albeit briefly.

Edit: see the link above for more brewers taking part.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Good question. I would hazard a guess that SN will can/bottle in limited quantities, and the other brewers will have it strictly on tap, but what do I know.

Over 1,000 breweries are taking part, so I'd assume it will be widely available, albeit briefly.

Less overhead for the breweries if it's taphouse-only? I know very little beyond being an expert at the Drinking-The-Beer stage.

"Honey, I'm going out for a while to do some community service...."

caw

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

According to Sierra Nevada, that is correct. However, there may be breweries that will bottle/can.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    According to Sierra Nevada, that is correct. However, there may be breweries that will bottle/can.
    That is good news. Portable community service cylinders always go well with riding.

Formerly dvo
    I had Alvarado Street's version Saturday in Salinas after riding Fort Ord. Very tasty.
    I'm the problem....

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    I had Alvarado Street's version Saturday in Salinas after riding Fort Ord. Very tasty.
    Yayyyy!

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    My understanding is that the limited use of the rights from some brewery back east that owns the trademarks includes that ONLY Sierra can distribute outside of the brewery. All other breweries can only sell at tap houses. And Sierra's can release will be limited to the Chico market (but I don't think that has to do with the agreement).

I had Monk's Cellars (Roseville) version last night and it was very good. Classic, clean West Coast IPA with a little fruitiness to it. Headed to Burning Barrel Brewing in about fine minutes to have theirs.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Had a couple of tasty pints yesterday after a ride at Crooked Lane in Auburn.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    My understanding is that the limited use of the rights from some brewery back east that owns the trademarks includes that ONLY Sierra can distribute outside of the brewery. All other breweries can only sell at tap houses. And Sierra's can release will be limited to the Chico market (but I don't think that has to do with the agreement).

I had Monk's Cellars (Roseville) version last night and it was very good. Classic, clean West Coast IPA with a little fruitiness to it. Headed to Burning Barrel Brewing in about fine minutes to have theirs.
    Yeah, I can see the faint hint of fruit, now that you mention it.

Here's my "review" from the beer forum: Welp. Very good taste, yet indiscernible. I couldn't taste it, nor could the two guys I was with. None of us could really taste elements of the beer, yet it was a gorgeous color, and tasted/felt more like an ale than an IPA, if that makes sense. It had some weight on the tongue. We knew that it was good, but we simply couldn't describe the flavors. A guy in the crowd said there was a 'piney' taste towards the beginning of the tongue, and then he said something else about something rolling off the back of his tongue, but he lost me before that.

But, yeah. Pleasant, yet it was kind of nondescript. We all had several, so I don't think it was the lack of quantity that was the reason we couldn't describe it.

That was at the Tap House in Stockton. Good crowd- people mingling, mellow. The Tap House is co-joined with a restaurant (Whirlow's), and they have some killer food. They also have live music- tonite was the jazz/jam night. Where's Ron Burgundy when you need him?

Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)-resilience-1.jpg

Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)-taps.jpg

Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)-beers.jpg

Edit: Rookie move.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    , and tasted/felt more like an ale than an IPA, if that makes sense.
    A friend brought over a 6-pack last night and I agree with that. I generally don't like IPAs but I liked this one precisely because it tasted more ale-like.

Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)-20181214_073155.jpg

Moderator Moderator

Hella Olde
    (pre)Ordered (even tho it isn't black).

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    (pre)Ordered (even tho it isn't black).
    That's racist.

Wac.

Not helpful.
    Those are hot!

Err, I mean, a smokin' deal! Errr...

Those are the shirts that put Performance out of business.

Hella Olde
    That's racist.

Wac.
    Hey what's this cawcaw? - I support the Black Cawcus. Flip that Wac around. caw caw!

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Hey what's this cawcaw? - I support the Black Cawcus. Flip that Wac around. caw caw!
    What are you, a cawmedian? And I'll bet your favorite song is Cawrma Cawmeleon by Culture Club, amirite?

Anyhoo, let's see: An estimated 17,000 barrels, or 4.2 million pints, are expected to be for sale. Times that by $6 a pint, and thassa whole lot o' doe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Anyhoo, let's see: An estimated 17,000 barrels, or 4.2 million pints, are expected to be for sale. Times that by $6 a pint, and thassa whole lot o' doe.
    Indeed, especially when you consider that a bunch of the ingredients were donated...

Fieldwork recently posted that they've raised $31k so far, looking to hit $40k before it's all said and done. I may stop at their Monterey location tomorrow after my ride.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I heard 1400 breweries are doing this beer.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    If anyone sees the cans (there are Talls too) in any retailer in the SFBA pls let us know! Need to tip my bike mechanic and give some to neighbors etc. thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Head over to Fieldwork and get it in a crowler.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    Head over to Fieldwork and get it in a crowler.
    Yes, a crow-ler would do well. Berkeley, though. I don't have a current visa for east of Frontage Road.

caw

Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)-img-2890-3-.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^^ Yee haw!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Iím seriously disappointed with the lack of posts about people trying the Resilience IPA around NorCal.

I did a little pub crawl on the Blinglespeed today to explore the West Sac flavors of Resilience.

West Sac has three breweries, Yolo Brewing, Bikedog and Jackrabbit. All three are within stumbling distance of each other in the ďBrewery DistrictĒ.

Bikedog was first.

Fawking tasty assed brew. I could drink a lot of this. Big fruity flavors from the hops. Iím not a big fan of Crystal 60 hops. That may be my only drawback on this brew. I am a big fan of the cascade/centennial hop combination though, so I can easily overlook the malt bill.
    Bikedog beers traditionally have had a similar flavor profile. Put me through a blind taste test and I would ALWAYS be able to figure out the Bikedog beer. Iím not saying thatís a bad thing. I LOVE Bikedog beers. This one is different though. Itís clearly not a Bikedog beer.
    After the Resilience I had a pint of Atomic Dog. Beautiful, pale, crystal clear IPA with bright hop flavors. I need to drink a lot more of this one.

On to Yolo Brewing.

A little disclaimer here. I love Bikedog. I have spent more time at Yolo though. Itís what the wife likes, leave me alone.
    The Yolo Brewing variation of Resilience sucks. Hops? What hops? Theyíre nonexistent. All I get is Crystal 60 malt. All of the fruitiness of the Bikedog variation is missing.
    Donít get me wrong. Itís a nice amber ale, and had I not already gone to Bikedog, I would have thought this was a great beer.

I didnít make it to Jackrabbit. Fawk Jackrabbit. Theyíve never impressed me with their beers. Iím headed back to Bikedog. Then itís Chandoís Tacos to have a couple pints of Track 7 Panic IPA and eat my body weight in tacos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A truly great beer. Not too hoppy, great finish and for a worthy cause. Prost!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)-resilience.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mrazís turned out very good.

wretch
    I bet Rich done did good! I had one from 50/50 in Truckee and it tasted as expected. Had one from Revision in Sparks and it was a nice change - much lighter and hoppier finish. I'd drink one from anywhere knowing the cause behind it.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I had Fieldwork's version of it. Just ok. West Coast, up front bitter, ipa, no nose. I'll try more versions.Resilience beer thread ($$ for Camp Fire relief)-48425726_10156917076362277_6435194369120141312_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I had Fieldwork's version of it. Just ok. West Coast, up front bitter, ipa, no nose. I'll try more versions.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48425726_10156917076362277_6435194369120141312_o.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	1230369
    I spent $20 on River Rock's (Galt) version in 4 cans. All 4 cans were flat. Goddammit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Grabbed some at Catawba Brewing while I was back in North Carolina visiting the fam. It's a good beer, and they did it well -- my brother, who's a big beer snob (brews his own beers, PA state homebrew champion, etc) already had a different brewery's rendition and said Catawba's was pretty great. Nothing really stuck out to me as unique, it's a good IPA. It tastes amazing because of the cause and significance of the beer, though.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Iím seriously disappointed with the lack of posts about people trying the Resilience IPA around NorCal.

I did a little pub crawl on the Blinglespeed today to explore the West Sac flavors of Resilience.

West Sac has three breweries, Yolo Brewing, Bikedog and Jackrabbit. All three are within stumbling distance of each other in the ďBrewery DistrictĒ.

Bikedog was first.

Fawking tasty assed brew. I could drink a lot of this. Big fruity flavors from the hops. Iím not a big fan of Crystal 60 hops. That may be my only drawback on this brew. I am a big fan of the cascade/centennial hop combination though, so I can easily overlook the malt bill.
    Bikedog beers traditionally have had a similar flavor profile. Put me through a blind taste test and I would ALWAYS be able to figure out the Bikedog beer. Iím not saying thatís a bad thing. I LOVE Bikedog beers. This one is different though. Itís clearly not a Bikedog beer.
    After the Resilience I had a pint of Atomic Dog. Beautiful, pale, crystal clear IPA with bright hop flavors. I need to drink a lot more of this one.

On to Yolo Brewing.

A little disclaimer here. I love Bikedog. I have spent more time at Yolo though. Itís what the wife likes, leave me alone.
    The Yolo Brewing variation of Resilience sucks. Hops? What hops? Theyíre nonexistent. All I get is Crystal 60 malt. All of the fruitiness of the Bikedog variation is missing.
    Donít get me wrong. Itís a nice amber ale, and had I not already gone to Bikedog, I would have thought this was a great beer.

I didnít make it to Jackrabbit. Fawk Jackrabbit. Theyíve never impressed me with their beers. Iím headed back to Bikedog. Then itís Chandoís Tacos to have a couple pints of Track 7 Panic IPA and eat my body weight in tacos.
    Bikedog rules. The only fault I can find with them is that the place is too small.

Call me next time Yugo!

Not helpful.
    Brewing Lair- is that where you got it? What a strange location for a brewery- off the beaten path, up a dirt road (if memory serves). Once you get there, it's a frigging oasis. Very cool place. I love the little BL glasses they sell- 6 oz?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Brewing Lair- is that where you got it? What a strange location for a brewery- off the beaten path, up a dirt road (if memory serves). Once you get there, it's a frigging oasis. Very cool place. I love the little BL glasses they sell- 6 oz?
    Yes. Sat out in a light rain, it was perfect. FYI, they not only have Resilience on tap, they now have logo bike socks from sock guy!

wretch
    Brewing Lair is a gem! Doesn't hurt that they're surrounded by some of the best trails!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I had Fieldwork's version of it. Just ok. West Coast, up front bitter, ipa, no nose. I'll try more versions.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48425726_10156917076362277_6435194369120141312_o.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	1230369

-I have a feeling that Fieldworks Monterey mislabeled taps or kegs. A day apart a buddy and I each bought Crowlers and what poured was N.E. Hazy-style IPA. On top of it, it was NOT GOOD!!! I am hoping this was an honest mistake. Anyone else with a report on Fieldworks version???

I've also had Alvarado Street's version and Sierra Nevada. BOTH were REALLY good!!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I just checked Fieldworks' website, it it sounds like they may have tweaked the recipe a bit. Emphasis is mine:

Our hearts have been stuck on permanent break-mode watching what these fires have done to our California sistren and brethren to the north in Butte County. Our idols in all things everything, Sierra Nevada launched a call to arms from brewers nationwide to brew an IPA and donate all proceeds directly to the Sierra Nevada Brewery Camp Fire Relief Fund to help those affected by the fires. Having already bought a bunch of awesome Southern Hemisphere hops for a charity IPA we figured what the hell, we now have twice as many hops as we need for one beer, so what the heck, it's charity, so we brewed our version of Resilience IPA and then added a second dry-hopping loaded with Vic Secret, Moutere, and Taiheke hops to give this IPA an aroma that will make you say "Damn! that smells so good and I am so happy they threw in all those extra hops that I think I'll make a donation directly to Sierra Nevada Brewery Camp Fire Relief Fund right now at the following website: www.goldenvalley.bank/community-foundation.aspx"

Not helpful.
    D'oh.

mtbr member

Bikedog was first.

On to Yolo Brewing.

Yolo has been garbage since they opened. Jack Rabbit got better as they went on. Bike Dog is certainly leaps and bounds better. Growing up in West Crap I never would have guessed a brewery would open, even better, never woulda have guessed someone would use the term ďbrewery districtĒ.

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Well my excuse is I've been pretty heavily buzzed dealing with in-laws for the last five days...

I started the Quest For Cans sometime on the 23rd when I started seeing posts in Sacramento Beer Enthuisiasts that they were hitting the shelves. I searched far and wide (also to stay away from previously mentioned in-laws) throughout the Folsom/EDH area. I hit seven stores - Winco, Safeways, Raleys, Costco, a few little shops. None. Several places had "requested but are waiting on theirs", while others had been wiped out within an hour of it arriving. Finally a kind Costco employee gave several of us a heads up that the Folsom store had a pallet ready to roll on Christmas Eve morning. I was there when they opened and bought a case. Now I'm hearing it should be easier to find over the next couple of days but it is a one and done.

The Sierra version in cans taste exactly like the others I had, with the exception of Monk's slightly fruity thing that I mentioned earlier. The best descriptor I heard was a "lighter version of Celebration" which seems to fit.

I think I read that Sierra was expecting to raise approximately $15 MILLION from this. Awesome.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My son goes to Chico so he scored me a crowler in his way home. Enjoyed it!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Yolo has been garbage since they opened. Jack Rabbit got better as they went on. Bike Dog is certainly leaps and bounds better. Growing up in West Crap I never would have guessed a brewery would open, even better, never woulda have guessed someone would use the term ďbrewery districtĒ.
    On my one visit to Yolo, I encountered the worst-tempered bartender I think I've ever run into, and the beer wasn't good enough to go back for. Meh.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    On my one visit to Yolo, I encountered the worst-tempered bartender I think I've ever run into, and the beer wasn't good enough to go back for. Meh.
    Whatcha do to piss him off? Did ya plop down next to his hot girlfriend?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member

Bare Bottle

Had a pint of Bare Bottleís Resilience last night prior to the Sharks game.
    On tap at the new(ish) Three Sisters Bar in The San Pedro Market Square.
    Good beer, tho Iím biased Ďcos Iím a Bare Bottle fanboy.

mtbr member
    I found six pack cans of the original SN Resilience at the Cal Expo Costco last week. They still had more last night.

I still like the Bike Dog version the best out of the three Iíve had. Iím planning on picking up a growler full for a party Iím going to tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hella Olde
    Sell Me Cans. Big ones.

Hella Olde
    Made a redundant post. Caw.

So check out the Super Blood Wolf Moon January 22.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Had the North Coast version today. Good but preferred the SN version

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk