'Repack' Racing! Who's done it? Who wants to?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

'Repack' Racing! Who's done it? Who wants to?

As I have been posting about for a couple of weeks, The ShastaKaze Classic Downhill and Bike Show is going on September 14th at the Mt Shasta Ski Park.

One of the race classes will be for Rigid bikes with 1 brake and a single speed.

Any thoughts on including non-coaster brake bikes with just a single brake in a retro style 'repack' race?

I personally don't think a single hand brake is going to be that big of an advantage and we would love to include as many riders as possible. On the other hand, 'repack' does refer to repacking your rear coaster brake hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'Repack' Racing!  Who's done it?  Who wants to?-thrasher5.jpg  

Retro-grouchiest
    "Repack" refers to a hill in Marin County. It's where it all began. Ask Charlie. They'd have to repack the brake grease, because they cooked it all out on the way down. If you don't think a hand brake has an advantage over a coaster, ask yourself why no coasters on the modern bikes. Or better yet, try one! It requires a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to commit to bombing a giant hill on tech that you know will not be able to stop you!
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains,
    resolving itself into works

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    "Repack" refers to a hill in Marin County. It's where it all began. Ask Charlie. They'd have to repack the brake grease, because they cooked it all out on the way down. If you don't think a hand brake has an advantage over a coaster, ask yourself why no coasters on the modern bikes. Or better yet, try one! It requires a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to commit to bombing a giant hill on tech that you know will not be able to stop you!
    Pretty sure the OP 'gets it' - they probably want to enable more riders to participate to make it more fun. Not everyone snagged a Transition Klunker (coaster brake) or has a period-correct retro rig laying around.

mtbr member
    Or better yet, try one! It requires a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to commit to bombing a giant hill on tech that you know will not be able to stop you!
    The image is me last week, I have been bombing my coaster brake down the mountain at the park for the last three weeks. I understand the fortitude needed to bomb down with only a coaster brake. In my limited experience, the rear coaster brake seems to provide adequate stopping power equal or better than a cheap cantilever or caliper brake. I have even begun to discover a bit of modulation in the coaster.

The issue is in fact the loose dirt, even on the road at Mt Shasta, it is super sketch to navigate with any bike and brake setup. As soon as you touch either brake, a skid virtually always ensues. So with this in mind, as soon as the dude on his rigid single speed grabs his rear brake lever to slow down, this same skid is going to occur and he will have no true advantage.

Perhaps I will throw a hand brake on my cruiser and swap the rear wheel to see if my times are different. I don't see there being much difference, but testing will tell. I know I can't stop with my coaster without a skid and I know the same thing holds true on my full suspension ride at speed using only a rear brake on the same course.

Retro-grouchiest
    Sorry, wasn't my intent to imply that you hadn't tried it, it was more of a figure of speech. Just trying to get some history into the heads of the kids. I've also never ridden Shasta, or Repack for that matter. However, when your coaster is fully cooked halfway down a run, and your brake fades to zero, and the rider ahead of you squeezes a canti or v brake handle, or heaven forbid, applies a baby finger's worth of pressure to the disc, who do you think is slowing down faster? Who can hold more speed, and brake later? I'm not opposed to "new" tech, I have a few cantilevers and v's in my stable, but I don't believe that they're in the same league.
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains,
    resolving itself into works

mtbr member
    when your coaster is fully cooked halfway down a run, and your brake fades to zero, and the rider ahead of you squeezes a canti or v brake handle, or heaven forbid, applies a baby finger's worth of pressure to the disc, who do you think is slowing down faster?
    One good thing is that Repack races were timed events at 2 minute intervals. If you had to worry about the guy in front of you slowing down too fast, you would have taken two minutes or more out of him anyway. Just blaze on past and win the day!

Seriously, has anyone actually experienced this effect where their coaster brake fades to zero, and if so was the hub taken care of properly before it failed?

I posted about my first trip down the mountain on a coaster brake here. I did have some grease on my spokes and rim, but after a rebuild with quality grease I have done several runs with only a very small amount of grease coming out of the hub. Perhaps that's down to less braking since the first run or the 10 year old grease in the hub had just given up the ghost.

Dusting Trails
    Repack is pretty fun, here is where it starts.

'Repack' Racing!  Who's done it?  Who wants to?-d7348d1d-e71a-4482-86a0-a904b7093590.jpg
    Life is short - enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBikeStore View Post
    Seriously, has anyone actually experienced this effect where their coaster brake fades to zero, and if so was the hub taken care of properly before it failed?
    Okay, so I have done several more days on the Klunker with the coaster brake and still the grease has remained mostly intact. My rear hub is a Shimano CB-E110. Is this hub superior to the tech used back in the day?

I watched the first half of the Klunkerz movie on Amazon last night and in fact they showed a hub smoking. That would be enough for me to switch to a freewheel, but so far after the original repack service I did, it hasn't given me any problems.

The riding has been a mix of bomber runs down the 9% 2 mile long dirt road and technical single track and I've even thrown in some bike park jumping. Man I really dig this bike!

mtbr member
    FYI - the Classic Repack races occurred in the hero dirt season -not summer. It's all marbles, golf balls, & baseballs on repack now. If you can come close to the golden age times on a kick brake bike, I'll buy you a beer. And if you want it all from the horses mouth, stop by Marin Museum of Mountain Biking in Fairfax and meet Joe Breeze, Charlie Kelly and some of the other posse members for a tour of the museum -and see the ACTUAL REPACK RACE BIKES. Museum open Thurs-Sun.

Joe Breeze tours Fridays & Sundays. Charlie's schedule is fluid.

There may even be a few ORIGINAL COPIES of Fat Tire Flyer still for sale at the museum.

(I'm a volunteer there, and have no shame about promoting this unique gem!)
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfaxian View Post
    FYI - the Classic Repack races occurred in the hero dirt season -not summer. It's all marbles, golf balls, & baseballs on repack now. If you can come close to the golden age times on a kick brake bike, I'll buy you a beer.

(I'm a volunteer there, and have no shame about promoting this unique gem!)
    Thanks, if I ever make it down there, I will stop in for sure!

The event we are holding is in Mt Shasta, unfortunately the same day as the MMBHOF induction ceremony. Currently, our dirt is far from hero dirt for sure. That's kind of the "charm" knowing that your tires can break free at any second, even more so with only a single brake.

With the Kamikaze racing at Mammoth not going forward this year, I thought it might be a good idea to put together a retro/classic bike race featuring a "repack" single speed class and mt bike show. I'm meeting with the Ski Park in the morning to iron out the final details for the event on September 14th.

I certainly wish to continue the event in years to come and with such a rich mt bike history at our door step, hopefully the event can grow in to a must attend weekend in the future!

I just got a S/A 13t cog for my klunker today, super stoked!