Removing fabric crease from heel cup?- Mtbr.com
    jrm
    mtbr member

Removing fabric crease from heel cup?

The upper part of the heel cup on one of my specialized pro shoes has developed a crease that causes the fabric of my socks to rub against my achilles tendon. it really hurts after about a hour of this. Ive thought about temporarily using tape and folding it over but i really need a permanent fix and dont want to pitch the shoes. Heres a pic...Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing fabric crease from heel cup?-shoe-crease-002.jpg  

banned
    Sep 2010
    That shoe looks fairly new. If it is, I would expect the Big S to warranty that defect. They don't like bad publicity, especially on forums like this.

mtbr member
    I can't tell you how to fix it but I think you have the right tools, magnifying glass, feather duster and a water bottle rack
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    I wore a hole in the inner fabric of my shoe with a similar problem. I got a set of those stick-on pads from CVS. They're meant to go inside the heal cup. The work great. They should cover up your wrinkle too.

Name:  5042802036.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  10.1 KB

CVS Heel Liners For All Shoes - CVS pharmacy
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Sweater
    You could try heating it with a hair dryer to soften the material and work the crease out. Are they leather? If the hair dryer doesn't work you could try a cobbler or upholstery shop to see if you (or they) could try steam on them. Steam shrinks leather though...
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    You could try heating it with a hair dryer to soften the material and work the crease out. Are they leather? If the hair dryer doesn't work you could try a cobbler or upholstery shop to see if you (or they) could try steam on them. Steam shrinks leather though...
    I think that's what God invented cobblers for!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Instead of going through the trouble of fixing it yourself and then possibly finding out that you cannot return it since you've modified it. I would just return it as a defective shoe and get a new pair.

Best case: you get a new pair
    Worst case: You fail to repair it and you can't return them, because you did something with a hair dryer.

It's about showing up.
    Return them. If that doesn't work then finding someone to rework the fabric is the next task. Few repair folk want this sort of work as it is not straightforward; it would be hand work.

The original fabric was sewn a teensy bit torqued and this has shown as the interior pad has compressed with age and use. Simple smoothing won't take care of it.

This is how would do it. I would cut the fabric at the outside seam where it meets the top of the exterior of the heel. It would be about a 1-1.5 inch horizontal cut. Pull the fabric snug and smooth. Then I would stitch it back together with strong thread, stitches about 1/16 apart and 1/16 inch into the softer fabric and the same onto the exterior fabric. I would then follow it with a larger stitch covering the first pass.
    I don't rattle.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Once again, from the pic, those shoes look fairly new, ( unless you are unusually fastidious in the maintenance of your gear.....NTTAWWT) and being Spec Eds, they had to cost you. So, just like Berkeley Mike suggests, and I did too at the beginning of this thread, return them. the LAST thing a manufacturer of high-end mtb shoes would want are the explicit details of a defective product on a major mtb forum.