REDDING CA, Trails, Group Rides, and gear reviews for our area.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

REDDING CA, Trails, Group Rides, and gear reviews for our area.

Hey guys this is a tread for anyone that either lives or rips up some singletrack here in the Redding area. I want people to talk about trails and areas to ride in our area so we all can help each other expore more since its turning into a great place for Mountain Bikers! Lets talk about gear and bikes also so people up here can get real advise from great that works for OUR trails since they do differ from other Singletrack nationwide. And maybe if there are enough members on this fourm from the true Nor Cal we can get some group rides going....... now Post Away!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Well here is my contribution.

If they continue building trails the way they are building them now, just get a cross bike. If you think I'm joking, I'm not.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    If they continue building trails the way they are building them now, just get a cross bike. If you think I'm joking, I'm not.
    I can totally see that for all of the Keswick trails going to the dam, but for everything else im sure every isnt as hardcore as you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wuzz up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'm not hardcore..

Quote Originally Posted by RH2868 View Post
    I can totally see that for all of the Keswick trails going to the dam, but for everything else im sure every isnt as hardcore as you.
    Lets see.. You have upper salt creek. All the clear creek trails. 90% of the Swasey BLM trails including the new ones they are putting in on the back side of mule mountain. All of those would be just fine if not best suited for a cross bike.

mtbr member
    I'm from Chico, but I'd love to check out some trails in the Redding area. What's the best place to hit for some good singletrack?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

best.. would be

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I'm from Chico, but I'd love to check out some trails in the Redding area. What's the best place to hit for some good singletrack?
    Park at the brandy creek parking lot in Whiskeytown and ride the Chimney then throw in a up and back on the Papoose. If give me a heads up before you come to town, I would gladly show you around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Any guys here ever go down to Donneville?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Park at the brandy creek parking lot in Whiskeytown and ride the Chimney then throw in a up and back on the Papoose. If give me a heads up before you come to town, I would gladly show you around.
    Are the Trails at the brandy creek parking lot marked well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

No

Are the Trails at the brandy creek parking lot marked well?
    They are not marked that well. But they are findable. Most of them are on the map that you can get at the visitor center. It would be best though to have a guide. I'm available on Saturdays and Mondays. Although I am going to be out of town this weekend.

And to answer your question about Downieville. Yes, there are plenty of people from around here that go to Downieville. It is well worth the trip. I think Redding Mountain Biking club usually does a road trip there in the summer.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer, I'll do that. And of course if you're ever in Chico and need a trail guide, I'll return the favor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

agree...

While I'm grateful that there are new trails being built nearby, I definately agree with this. I'm hoping that some of these get rougher with age, but we'll see. Fast but not technical at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Totally agree with the new ones. Im trying to find a little tougher/fun so I hear there are more in the whiskeytown area.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna have to agree with Loki on this one, it seems all these trails that are being built are designed for cross bikes and dog walkers. Its hard to find anything worthy of riding with a FS rig. Aside from some of the stuff out at Whiskeytown, you could ride a cross bike on everything around here with ease. With this said, I do like the fact trails are being built around here, it wasn't but a few years back where it seemed like mountain biking died around here. Its very cool to see it alive again. When I feel the need to ride through some rocks I head to D-ville, which isn't to far away for a quick trip

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is there anywhere online where I can find some information on donniville about the trails and places to stay?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will be on camber comp fo all trail ride, cant wait ,got a great deal tubless and SLX crankset 175mm. soo cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp2315 View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with Loki on this one, it seems all these trails that are being built are designed for cross bikes and dog walkers. Its hard to find anything worthy of riding with a FS rig. Aside from some of the stuff out at Whiskeytown, you could ride a cross bike on everything around here with ease. With this said, I do like the fact trails are being built around here, it wasn't but a few years back where it seemed like mountain biking died around here. Its very cool to see it alive again. When I feel the need to ride through some rocks I head to D-ville, which isn't to far away for a quick trip
    Hey, you're riding about twice as far as you need to! If you really want some rocks, we've got plenty here in Chico. Of course, nothing around here compares to the Downieville downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is the a website for the trails in Chico?

2012 Race: April 28th!
    The new trails being built are designed to be maintenance free for many years. They've got relatively gentle grades and are out sloped to prevent erosion for this reason. I'm excited to have such a large network of new trails open to mtn bikes. I don't understand the complaining about the new trails being too "easy". Consider the conflicts between trail users in urban areas and all the trails where mtn bikes are banned before you complain. We should be thrilled to be getting new trails not complaining. And if you want more technical trails maybe you should put your muscle where your mouth is and help build said trails. There is a designated technical loop at Clikapudi that is in disrepair and could use some work. Ditto for Dry Cr Trail near Shasta Dam. Just saying. What do you guys have against cross bikes anyways?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

You need to go ride at the Shasta Dam OHV area.You'll want to ride Easy Street, Foundation Trail and the Lemurian Chute, all are worthy of your FS rig. Loki can show you these routes.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Hey, you're riding about twice as far as you need to! If you really want some rocks, we've got plenty here in Chico. Of course, nothing around here compares to the Downieville downhill.
    We have a couple of rocks in Red Bluff too...

~Disc~Golf~
    I want to shuttle - thanks.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    While I agree that many of the new trails aren't technically challenging, I can't believe that anyone would complain about them. Seriously? Do you not have fun when you ride them?

We are extremely fortunate to be gaining miles of quality singletrack. These trails don't just show up on their own. A lot of people have dedicated countless hours of work to make these a reality. I find it disheartening to hear such widespread disdain for their work. Unfortunately I hear it regularly.

If technical riding is the goal there are plenty of local trails to choose from. They just aren't as convenient as the new stuff. As a result many of them receive less and less use and are falling into disrepair.

Many places are losing trail access; we're gaining it. Don't take it for granted.

And THANK YOU to everyone who's helped make all of our trails, new & old, a reality! I enjoy them regularly.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ agreed, truth be told, most other areas are complaining about loss of access, yet we gain more..
    ALSO, we are anomaly... a National Park that not only allows, but encourages MTB? shoot, you aren't even supposed to go off pavement on a bicycle in Lassen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

not anonymous

Ok. So I've had a few drinks so I have the courage to post what I wouldn't before. Also, please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I am glad they are putting in the trails... period. But that doesn't mean I think they are doing a good job. Just because they have the money and someone pushing for them to build these trails doesn't mean they are doing a quality job. I can go to Ashland, Bend, Snoqalamie, Fruita, and all these places have trails being built that are sustainable, fun, and good for different abilities. Just because a trail is sustainable doesn't mean it needs to not have flow. Go to Downieville or Bend and they build fun trails with the same machines.

Like I said, just because someone has the will, power, or resources to build a trial doesn't mean I have to think they are doing a good job.

Now on another note, I think the guys out at Whiskeytown did a great job with the new Kanaka trail.

Oh, and this is Nathan. You all know who I am. And I would tell this straight to anyone at chaingang, to Brian, to Ron. Anyone. I'm not against new trails, I just don't think its great that "BLM" in this area has standards that other BLM in other areas don't have.

And to those who said put your muscle where your mouth is... I Do. Hours and hours trimming salt creek, Clair De Lume, and other local trails. Even building and improving problem areas on similar local trails.

Ok, flame on. And if anyone wants to discuss this over a beer at any local pub, I am willing to buy.

mtbr member
    Is the a website for the trails in Chico?
    Yep: Park Maps | Chico Creek Nature Center - Information Gateway for Bidwell Park

"Upper Park" is the most interesting for mountain biking, although there are some pretty cool flat trails in "Lower Park" as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    Looks chunk-tastic, where is this?

mtbr member
    The real gripe for me with the new trails in the Redding area is not that they are building them. I like them, and my wife and son think they are awesome. My gripe is that they are sanitizing some stuff. For example, there was always a way thru upper salt creak, but now it's gone because they went right over the top with a four foot wide dirt road. They also go out of their way to block off older routes. The good news is they don't defend the barricades, so a little adjustment and the routes are still there. All in all I'm not complaining.

It seems a lil unfair to gripe without saying some positive stuff. So here goes, I have been able to talk directly to the folks in charge of all this (and there are several). They have been very open to talking, and in detail too. I consistently get the impression that these folks are listening to what all the different users have to say...and that's an especially good thing because only a small few (and only one comes to mind at the moment) are MTBrs.
    Last edited by Fiskare; 01-29-2012 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks chunk-tastic, where is this?
    Bend BLM land. This is on the hwy 36 side, Hog lake trailhead. There are about 20 miles of trails that are not on the BLM maps of the area. We share the area with cattle and the rare hiker but thats it. No horse people on this side, they stick to the Bend side north of Paynes creek.

Are those guys on a bike ride or a rattlesnake hunt?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy View Post
    Are those guys on a bike ride or a rattlesnake hunt?
    No need to hunt them, they come looking for you!

That was one of the first reconnoiters of a new trail we put in last summer.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Bend BLM land. This is on the hwy 36 side, Hog lake trailhead. There are about 20 miles of trails that are not on the BLM maps of the area. We share the area with cattle and the rare hiker but thats it. No horse people on this side, they stick to the Bend side north of Paynes creek.
    Do any of these Red Bluff trails exist on Garmin Connect or Strava?

I rode in Redding yesterday. Turtle Bay to Lake Shasta and back. 46.5 miles and 2,100 feet of climbing. That is what I call flat. It was deceptively tiring though. Those trails are fun, especially all the jumps in them. I did see a number of older people, children and cross bikes on the trails. That tells you something about their difficulty level. However, if you ride them fast they are very fun. I'd love to add some more climbing to my ride. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | to Lake Shasta & back near Redding | Times and Records | Strava

It was definitely worth the drive up from Chico.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn View Post

I rode in Redding yesterday. Turtle Bay to Lake Shasta and back. 46.5 miles and 2,100 feet of climbing. That is what I call flat. It was deceptively tiring though. Those trails are fun, especially all the jumps in them. I did see a number of older people, children and cross bikes on the trails. That tells you something about their difficulty level. However, if you ride them fast they are very fun. I'd love to add some more climbing to my ride. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | to Lake Shasta & back near Redding | Times and Records | Strava

None posted on any of those sites (I don't think) Let me scrounge around and see if I can get a gpx or kml file with at least the unmarked ones, I'll pm you if you prefer.

If you wanted a little more climbing on your Redding ride, you should have taken the Chamise Peak trail about half way between Walker Mine Rd and the dam. Its a nice little 2 or 3 mile up and back detour

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Not a good representation of what we have.

You rode the most boring trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

If you wanted a little more climbing on your Redding ride, you should have taken the Chamise Peak trail about half way between Walker Mine Rd and the dam. Its a nice little 2 or 3 mile up and back detour
    once again. Please don't judge Redding riding on anything over by the hornbeck trail.

mtbr member
    Gee, I hope that it didn't sound that I was judging at all, I'm sorry if it did.

I just wanted to point out that on that particular ride, the Chamise Peak spur is a nice opportunity to get out of the saddle and mash a little.

I am jealous of the wide variety and mileage of trails you guys have for all fitness and skill levels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way.

Gee, I hope that it didn't sound that I was judging at all, I'm sorry if it did.

I just wanted to point out that on that particular ride, the Chamise Peak spur is a nice opportunity to get out of the saddle and mash a little.

I am jealous of the wide variety and mileage of trails you guys have for all fitness and skill levels.
    It just bums me out that someone looking for good mountain biking, such as yourself, and the other guy from chico would be directed to those trails. Don't get me wrong, they are great trails for beginners, or maybe someone who just want to put in a lot of fast miles on the dirt.

mtbr member
    I have a handful of them as KML files from Google earth. I can't find the original gpx files. anybody interested can PM me with an email address and I will send them along. I think that I also have a link to a Google map i made that has the various trail heads listed.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    It just bums me out that someone looking for good mountain biking, such as yourself, and the other guy from chico would be directed to those trails. Don't get me wrong, they are great trails for beginners, or maybe someone who just want to put in a lot of fast miles on the dirt.
    It was either Redding or Oroville. Bidwell Park was closed to bikes so if I was going to ride local it would have been pavement and gravel roads. Those trails were much better. It was a good 4 hour ride. I would be interested in adding some more difficult trails.
    A couple people had suggested the Lemurian course but i've done that quite a few times and was looking for something new.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The Trails around here are great and I love and appericiate the work put into them. Thank you to all who have helped on the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Anyone have some good maps on Strava or Garmin for quality Redding area singletrack?

A riding buddy and I are coming up tomorrow and want to hit the trails. We'd rather hit singletrack instead of doubletrack or fire roads.

EDIT: I'm thinking Whiskeytown would be a good area as it's received some good reviews. Would really like to get some directions/maps of that area.
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 02-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What time are you riding?

Anyone have some good maps on Strava or Garmin for quality Redding area singletrack?

A riding buddy and I are coming up tomorrow and want to hit the trails. We'd rather hit singletrack instead of doubletrack or fire roads.

EDIT: I'm thinking Whiskeytown would be a good area as it's received some good reviews. Would really like to get some directions/maps of that area.
    When are you heading out?

mtbr member
    We'll be leaving Chico around 9am, so up in Redding around 10:30am.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My suggestion.

Park at the brandy creek trail head. To get to this, turn left at the visitor center (pick up a day pass and a map here if you don't have one), cross the damn, continue a couple miles and at the bottom of a long hill the trail head will be on your left, there is a kiosk at the trail head. Ride up the road all the way to the trail head for the Brandy Creek Falls trail head.

Go all the way up to the falls if you feel like checking them out (nothing to impressive, but pretty none the less)

Go down Rich Gulch Trail. Once back on the road, pedal back up maybe half a mile and you will turn right on a trail shortly before getting back to the falls parking lot.

At the bottom of this short trail you will hike across a creek to get to a road. Once on this road turn left and cross the bridge. Shortly after the bridge there will be a camp ground on your right.

Directly past this campground, on your right, there will be a trail head for the Papoose Pass Trail head. Follow this trail the 2.5 miles to the top. Continue down the back side to check out boulder creek falls if you have the legs (its straight down, and straight back up) and the time.

Turn around and head back down Papoose (probably one of my favorite downhills in the area)

Once you are back down at camp ground, continue back over the bridge and up a short half mile climb. At the top of this climb, look to your left and you will find the entrance to the Brandy Creek Trail, follow this all the way back down to the car. You will pop back out on the road once, just head down it a short distance and look for the trail entrance on your left.

The attached map should help make sense of what I just said

If I didn't have a pressing project at work, I would call in and join you guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails REDDING CA, Trails, Group Rides, and gear reviews for our area.-map.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very cool, thanks for the map! What's the total mileage of this loop? And is this a better are to MTB than the Swasey Rec Area?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

ummmm

Very cool, thanks for the map! What's the total mileage of this loop? And is this a better are to MTB than the Swasey Rec Area?
    Mileage isn't huge, but there is a lot of climbing, so your looking at about 2.5 hours, maybe a bit more. Especially if you go off the backside of Papoose Pass down to Boulder Creek Falls (you can't see it on the map I sent you, but it will be on the map you pick up at the Visitor Center)

Yes, I believe the trails are better than the Swasey Rec Area. The thing the Swasey area has going for it, is its a bit closer to town and lots of options in one area. I would recommend doing a loop out at Swasey on one of your visits, especially if you drop off the back side of Mule Mt. saddle into Whiskeytown.

Its a bummer you aren't coming up on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Thanks again Loki! I would come up on Saturday, but I've already got a ride group happening then in Bidwell. Life is rough!

If you're ever down in the Chico area I'd be happy to help show you some trails and/or shuttle some stuff.

New Trails Info!

A portion of the Mule Ridge system officially opened yesterday! Here's a link to the map http://reddingmountainbiking.com/doc.../MuleRidge.pdf

And yes, you can ride 'em on a cross bike!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    just starting to ride real trails in whiskeytown. im kind of a baby still. I'd like ride that new system and review that

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you for the update on the new trail system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just went on a ride on new system. It's quie a drive to get there, but worth it. The new trails are sweet 20.5 miles and pretty fast. Only had time to ride about 7 miles but a solid ride. Found two guys out there still finishing up on a bridge build. Fun flowy singletrack I really suggest it if your looking for a new place to ride. The trailhead is this loop about four or five miles in and can be easy to miss. Going to see if I can put a few more miles in out there tomorrow maybe snap some pictures

Quote Originally Posted by GnarGnarnia View Post
    Just went on a ride on new system. It's quie a drive to get there, but worth it. The new trails are sweet 20.5 miles and pretty fast. Only had time to ride about 7 miles but a solid ride. Found two guys out there still finishing up on a bridge build. Fun flowy singletrack I really suggest it if your looking for a new place to ride. The trailhead is this loop about four or five miles in and can be easy to miss. Going to see if I can put a few more miles in out there tomorrow maybe snap some pictures
    There is a trailhead less than .25 miles off Placer, maybe you missed it. There is a small dirt turnout on your left, the trail is across the pavement. I saw some Strava data which indicated that loop has around 1700 ft of climbing. Bike Ride Profile | 10 miles near Redding | Times and Records | Strava Those 2 guys you saw working on the bridge have been putting in a lot of hours on the trail system, they deserve free beer for the rest of their lives
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Figured you might know.

There is a trailhead less than .25 miles off Placer, maybe you missed it. There is a small dirt turnout on your left, the trail is across the pavement. I saw some Strava data which indicated that loop has around 1700 ft of climbing. Bike Ride Profile | 10 miles near Redding | Times and Records | Strava Those 2 guys you saw working on the bridge have been putting in a lot of hours on the trail system, they deserve free beer for the rest of their lives
    Hey Ron. Do you have any idea if they are still planning on connecting the trail from the top of cosmos or what ever its called, to the trail around mule mt. Welby sent me a kml file awhile back, that shows the new trail pretty much perfectly and it shows it cutting across that rocky hill side. But it didn't show the Cosmos downhill. Are they waiting till the last to put that through, or did they run into a right-of-way away issue?

Hey Ron. Do you have any idea if they are still planning on connecting the trail from the top of cosmos or what ever its called, to the trail around mule mt. Welby sent me a kml file awhile back, that shows the new trail pretty much perfectly and it shows it cutting across that rocky hill side. But it didn't show the Cosmos downhill. Are they waiting till the last to put that through, or did they run into a right-of-way away issue?
    They are working on connecting with Swasey Area trails as we speak. The limiting factor at this point is getting the brush burned from the trail cut. Hopefully we'll get some rain Wednesday and perhaps they can get started. The map I saw shows a trail on both the west and east side of Mule Mtn with a spur trail going to the peak. You can see the flagging for both trails at the picnic table at Mule Mtn pass.

BLM also plans to push the Princess Ditch trail further north along Muletown Rd towards Whiskeytown. BLM plans to put in an access trail to Muletown Rd at the Whiskeytown border. Whiskeytown is supposed to build the Princess Ditch north to connect with the Mule Mtn Pass trail, but who know how long their process will take. Again, burning the huge brush piles is the major obstacle. Once that gets done expect to see RMB putting on some trail work days.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

yup

They are working on connecting with Swasey Area trails as we speak. The limiting factor at this point is getting the brush burned from the trail cut. Hopefully we'll get some rain Wednesday and perhaps they can get started. The map I saw shows a trail on both the west and east side of Mule Mtn with a spur trail going to the peak. You can see the flagging for both trails at the picnic table at Mule Mtn pass.
    I was aware of the trails circling mule mountain, i've hiked and biked both ways, just last week actually. I love how they are keeping the trail going up and down, not just a level trail around the hill.

I just didn't know if they ran into issues connecting that with the mule mt ridge trail.

Thats awesome that they are planning on building a trail to the peak! I did not know about that.

mtbnorcal.com
    Feb 2012
    Hey! thank you Loki for posting the Brandy Creek area map. I wasn't even aware of the Papoose part of the area. I'll have to loop it in.

And thanks to LemurianGuy for posting the info on the new trails up Placer. I'm stoked to try some new trails.

Thanks again!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I hope it is going to be clear next weekend to get back out on the saddle....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was aware of the trails circling mule mountain, i've hiked and biked both ways, just last week actually. I love how they are keeping the trail going up and down, not just a level trail around the hill.

I just didn't know if they ran into issues connecting that with the mule mt ridge trail.

Thats awesome that they are planning on building a trail to the peak! I did not know about that.
    Hey Loki can you name the best trails/rides in redding area?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    Ya what are you go to trails Loki?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    bump

mtbr member
    How is the Lemurian course now compared to when the original one? I miss the Chute, can we still ride on that side of the dam? I heard it was off-limits for awhile.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

The current Lemurian course, in my opinion, is way more enjoyable than the Shasta Dam area course. There is more single track and while the terrain is rugged at Whiskeytown it's not as gnarly as the old course. I agree that the chute was a unique experience. You can still ride there, but really only portions of the old 20 mile short course. The top of the long course is behind locked gates. In my opinion there are plenty of other places near Redding that offer better riding.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Bump

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bump
    bump for what?

~Disc~Golf~
    bump for what?
    maybe it was sent from his iPhone (or similar) with a motion sensor automagically

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thats pretty easy.

The new papoose trail, and the chimney out at whiskeytown. Then any of the more primative, i.e. not 4 feet wide, local trails. I love lower salt creek, twister, clair-de-lune, porn trail, fishermans loop, and the newly opened up french fry (don't think thats the real name, but its what I call it). The biggest bummer is some of these don't get ridden much and in the summer months they become covered in stickers and burrs.

Then if you head north a bit, you can escape the summer heat and hit some of the best single track ever......

Are you still in Chico? If so, you should come up sometime and we can ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The new papoose trail, and the chimney out at whiskeytown. Then any of the more primative, i.e. not 4 feet wide, local trails. I love lower salt creek, twister, clair-de-lune, porn trail, fishermans loop, and the newly opened up french fry (don't think thats the real name, but its what I call it). The biggest bummer is some of these don't get ridden much and in the summer months they become covered in stickers and burrs.

Then if you head north a bit, you can escape the summer heat and hit some of the best single track ever......

Are you still in Chico? If so, you should come up sometime and we can ride.
    I live in Redding now. Pretty sure I saw you riding up Valparaiso when I was taking a break at Lower Springs road water fountain with my girlfriend. I'm pretty sure it was you if you still ride a really wide bar rigid.

Unfortunately I've let myself go a bit and have to get back into singlespeed shape. I think a few more weeks and I'll be a bit better. Right now we're just starting from topps to buena>lower salt>connector>twister>jump>back up buena. I've ridden Clair de lune before but can't remember where it starts (middle creek road or by rock creek?), never heard of Porn trail or french fry. Up north? are we talking the entertainer?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sweet!

I live in Redding now. Pretty sure I saw you riding up Valparaiso when I was taking a break at Lower Springs road water fountain with my girlfriend. I'm pretty sure it was you if you still ride a really wide bar rigid.

Unfortunately I've let myself go a bit and have to get back into singlespeed shape. I think a few more weeks and I'll be a bit better. Right now we're just starting from topps to buena>lower salt>connector>twister>jump>back up buena. I've ridden Clair de lune before but can't remember where it starts (middle creek road or by rock creek?), never heard of Porn trail or french fry. Up north? are we talking the entertainer?
    Yeah, for one reason or another I haven't been on the bike much lately myself. There are a number of single speed 29ers around these parts now. You will know its me as I have the jones H-Bar, and I think I'm the only one running those.

Well, if you ever want to ride, just let me know. The porn trail is just off the river trail, and the french fry goes along rock creek between old shasta and keswick. As for the ones up north, no I'm not talking about the entertainer. Just other remote single track.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, for one reason or another I haven't been on the bike much lately myself. There are a number of single speed 29ers around these parts now. You will know its me as I have the jones H-Bar, and I think I'm the only one running those.

Well, if you ever want to ride, just let me know. The porn trail is just off the river trail, and the french fry goes along rock creek between old shasta and keswick. As for the ones up north, no I'm not talking about the entertainer. Just other remote single track.
    Fellow swept bar rider!

We are trying to ride in the morning more. Trying to get to topps or whereever the staging area is by 8am or earlier everyday. A cooler day may coax me into riding later.

I'd love to see stuff I haven't been on by the river. The by the river and westside will be our stomping grounds since its closest to our house. Cool trails up north sound interesting too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What trails are people riding at dusk/night up here in Redding? I have been trying to get on the bike at least three days a week and going after work is the only option for two of the days. Ive done Wintu/Miners/Escalator and the westside trails a few times but was wondering if anyone else up here is riding at night because its nice to see someone else in the dark once in a while...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Im finally back in the saddle again and loving it. I like the trail conditions on the trails now that go along the sac since they aren't looking so man made and groomed like they were a few years ago. Where are you guys in redding riding these days?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A lot of Swasey, I like the jump line out there, Mary Lake area, area 51, Whiskeytown. Nice thing about all the "new" trails that have been cut over the last few years, you can link a lot of them together and have a great day of riding.
    Welcome back to the scene RH2868.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wheel View Post
    A lot of Swasey, I like the jump line out there, Mary Lake area, area 51, Whiskeytown. Nice thing about all the "new" trails that have been cut over the last few years, you can link a lot of them together and have a great day of riding.
    Welcome back to the scene RH2868.
    Thanks man, I plan on hitting out swasey up this weekend and still deciding on what loop I am planning on doing since I don't have my legs fully back up to climbing long grades yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks man, I plan on hitting out swasey up this weekend and still deciding on what loop I am planning on doing since I don't have my legs fully back up to climbing long grades yet.
    Escalator to Mule Mtn pass and back is always a good pull.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Do you do Wintu, Escalator, and the whole mule mountain loop and back?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't care for the Wintu part so much, but we ride up Escalator to the picnic table and from there you can ride to Black bear pass and then ride the new Snail trail back to the bottom of Terminator and then pick your poison back to the parking lot, that's a good ride. A lot of options out there these days.

NedwannaB
    I don't care for the Wintu part so much, but we ride up Escalator to the picnic table and from there you can ride to Black bear pass and then ride the new Snail trail back to the bottom of Terminator and then pick your poison back to the parking lot, that's a good ride. A lot of options out there these days.
    Good to see this bump for a 3 year old thread. A buddy and I rode up there a few weeks ago. Great trails. The ones we did anyway. I was impressed considering comparing them to the trail use dilemmas we have in the Bay Area....

https://www.strava.com/activities/299503897

I have a question, we noticed a trail that comes up from on your right as you get to the bench intersection after finishing coming up on Escalator? (Not Terminator/Mule Mtn or the one that takes you up to the Black Bear Pass Table). Looks on map to head over near Falcon View. Curious to what kind of routes are out that way? Want to hit some other areas next time we're up.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-14-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: more info
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Good to see this bump for a 3 year old thread. A buddy and I rode up there a few weeks ago. Great trails. The ones we did anyway. I was impressed considering comparing them to the trail use dilemmas we have in the Bay Area....

https://www.strava.com/activities/299503897

I have a question, we noticed a trail that comes up from on your right as you get to the bench intersection after finishing coming up on Escalator? (Not Terminator/Mule Mtn or the one that takes you up to the Black Bear Pass Table). Looks on map to head over near Falcon View. Curious to what kind of routes are out that way? Want to hit some other areas next time we're up.

Thanks in advance.
    I think you're talking about the salt creek (loop) trail head that heads to Whiskeytown. It's the first right at mule mountain pass after you finish escalator. Whiskeytown has awesome riding with tons of options.

Edit - Here's a pic:

REDDING CA, Trails, Group Rides, and gear reviews for our area.-mm1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This thread is an interesting read. All of the proposed trails spoken of are now finished. We have so many options its crazy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Some of those trails while climbing Escalator, they would be on your right, either are private or turn into private property.
    Once you reach the picnic table at the pass, the furthest trail to the right goes down into Whiskeytown.
    I agree with derekbob, there are so many options to ride all over this area.

mtbr member
    Some of those trails while climbing Escalator, they would be on your right, either are private or turn into private property.
    Once you reach the picnic table at the pass, the furthest trail to the right goes down into Whiskeytown.
    Park at Oak Knoll trailhead off muletown road, take The Mule ridge counter-clockwise up past bear mountain pass and then on to the top of escalator, down into Whiskeytown Salt Creek Loop which now connects directly to Princess Ditch back to trailhead. Nice 15 mi loop with about 2000ft climbing. (its harder clockwise!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Park at Oak Knoll trailhead off muletown road, take The Mule ridge counter-clockwise up past bear mountain pass and then on to the top of escalator, down into Whiskeytown Salt Creek Loop which now connects directly to Princess Ditch back to trailhead. Nice 15 mi loop with about 2000ft climbing. (its harder clockwise!)
    I seen where that trail intersects with Salt creek loop, but I had a few miles already on the bike and a few to go, so I opted out until next time.

mtbr member
    the PDF maps on the BLM website still don't have it (or snail) shown, but i have a pre-production copy that shows them. I can send you a track or the map if you would like...

NedwannaB
    Yeah, talking about the one to the right when you get to the bench. How far is it to Whiskeytown via that way?
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah, talking about the one to the right when you get to the bench. How far is it to Whiskeytown via that way?
    You're in the park almost right away. It's probably a mile or so to Mule town rd, then you have the option to decide what you want to ride, Buck hollow, Clear creek canal trail, Mt. Shasta mine, and that is just in the vacinity. There is plenty more to Whiskeytown nra.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the PDF maps on the BLM website still don't have it (or snail) shown, but i have a pre-production copy that shows them. I can send you a track or the map if you would like...
    Thanks, no worries, I like to explore.

mtbr member
    #respectthat

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Can I get the new map?

mtbr member
    Can I get the new map?
    Sure thing, just PM me with your contact info

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    @ arphaxhad Going to ride that loop you mentioned, my buddy wants to ride it clock-wise, what do ya think?

mtbr member
    Clockwise is fine, nice steady along princess ditch up to salt creek. The section up salt creek to the bench at the top of escalator is a little steep in a couple of sections where i wish i would have had a granny gear for (I ride a 1x8 setup) then a longer flowy downhill from just south of bear mt pass down mule ridge to oak knoll.

its nice now that the princess ditch trail connects directly with salt creek. You used to get dumped out onto muletown rd. and had to ride it to connect to salt creek. But both directions are a great ride. Im coming up to ride it Monday morning.

I would like to add a loop that drops down Snail into Swasey and then back up Escalator.

Have a great ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    @ arphaxhad: we rode it counter-clockwise today, the climbing wasn't bad at all. I really liked that last section just before you get back to Oak Knoll parking, nice and flowy. We played around on a jump at the bottom of Salt creek trail then rode Princess ditch, it's a lot further across there than I thought, but a great ride all n all.
    We considered that loop down Snail but opted out, next time. Thanx for your input, appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What are you guys running for lube in our area right now. Im using Dumonde right now but I am thinking of trying something new any ideas? Also Im looking to getting a dropper post for my stumpy fsr 29er, any recomendations?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What are you guys running for lube in our area right now. Im using Dumonde right now but I am thinking of trying something new any ideas? Also Im looking to getting a dropper post for my stumpy fsr 29er, any recomendations?
    I run Triflow, typically works well, but after a 4hr ride today, I noticed my chain was pretty dry. My buddy uses ProGold, he swears by it. LBS's recommend Dumonde green or yellow however you look at it. Do you like Dumonde or just looking to try something else?

mtbr member
    I run Triflow, typically works well, but after a 4hr ride today, I noticed my chain was pretty dry. My buddy uses ProGold, he swears by it. LBS's recommend Dumonde green or yellow however you look at it. Do you like Dumonde or just looking to try something else?
    Bar oil. the voodoo sluffs if you use enough. I be local too.
    "It's not that bicycling is so important, it is that everything else is equally unimportant."-Bruce Ohlson.

mtbr member
    I prefer White Lightning, a wax based lube in our dry, dusty conditions. Drivetrain stays ninja silent, doesn't attract dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like the dumonde but it's a wet lube and I usually have to wash my bike and use my park tools chain cleaner every three rides. I'm just thinking of using a dry lube for now because it's already dusty on the trails and it's just going to get worse. I've tried the white lightning and didn't like it at all and had trouble with the bottle as it made a big mess. Anyone try the new Wd40 dry chain lube? Any of you guys using either he specialized dropper post or the fox one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've tried the Spec. post, the RockShox Reverb and now I have the KS LEV, which I really like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bump, now that rmb is only doing two rides a week are there any Redding beginner/intermediate riders doing weeknight rides?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So excited. Live in the Bay Area currently, but want to move to Redding (I own a house, which is now a rental w/tenants, but I rent in Sunnyvale). I need a different job in Redding first, then I can move into my house. I love DH, all-mountain and cx. I hear Redding is great riding, and there's even some news about Mt Shasta area, plus, Ashland isn't thaaaaat far, and that place, I hear is great too. Thoughts? Need to work for non-profit. Tired of Silicon Valley BS. Oh my god I'm so tired.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There are multiple groups that do intermediate rides. Talk to the joe at sports ltd, they do one on tuesday or thursday in the evening. And there is one on wednesday that I know of. If you are interested private message me, I will give you the guys email that organizes them.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonsmog View Post
    Bump, now that rmb is only doing two rides a week are there any Redding beginner/intermediate riders doing weeknight rides?

Members who have read this thread: 0