Recommendation for a mountain lion knife- Mtbr.com
    (no longer) The Jeans Guy
    Sep 2007

Recommendation for a mountain lion knife

I like to ride a few times a week in certain mountainous areas to keep in shape. Most of these rides tend to be solo and in the darkness while the rest of the family is asleep. My wife does not like this at all, because she is sure I will one day be eaten by a mountain lion. She says the only way she can be at all comfortable with these solo rides is if I carry a big knife to fend off the mountain lions.

Now stop snickering and help me out. Any suggestions for a suitable knife? Here are some criteria:

1. Big and scary and impressive looking.
    2. Not too heavy since I have to carry this thing.
    3. Would be nice to have some extra usefulness like cutting away brush that has fallen across the trail.
    4. Very nice if I can get Amazon Prime shipping.

Thanks,

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Odds are you would probably never get the chance to use it since they stalk prey and attack from behind.

organically fed
    I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing at the thought of somebody bringing a knife to a lion fight.

Yelling, flailing arms, holding your bike overhead (throwing that shizo?) and pepper spray...those are your only hopes for survival in the unlikely event of a hostile mountain lion encounter.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    a big cat will kill you way before you can get a knife out.......

try pepper spray attached to your camelbak.....if attacked just grab and spray everywhere....including yourself.....then kitty may not eat you....'cause you taste *extra horrible* instead of *kinda horrible*....

side note - you prolly have a better chance of being taken out by a suicide-squirrel than a mtn lion....FWIW
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mmm
    "You call that a knife? This is a knife!"

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

my body breaks the falls
    Coincidentally my wife is afraid of the cougars when I go out drinking.

As for the knife - if it's really just to placate your wife just let her pick it out. I carry a small folding knife for the same reason, but realize the only time I'd ever be able to use it is when I'm slicing an apple on the trail or cutting a nasty hang nail.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

aka baycat
    how much are Machetes?

Not sure if you need more of a stabbing or hacking knife.

For cougars I recommend stabbing them

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

Pedaler of dirt
    In Trinidad I used to carry a cutlass (machete) for wild dogs, clearing brush and bandits (hash farmers back in the forest), but only used it for clearing brush. Cost me about $6 and it's lasted me 4 years so far.

Not much use against a lion 'cos you're not going to have any time to draw it and defend yourself. Your best defence may be to find a slower riding buddy.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

Master of '80s BMX tricks
    As far as wildlife risks go, If i were you I'd worry more about the rattlesnakes than the Lions. There's been only a handful of reported (and verified) mountain lion attacks in California during the last century (maybe 20, somebody fact check me on that) meanwhile Rattle snake bites happen all the time.

If you really want a knife, knock yourself out, but if i were you, i'd invest the time and money into getting a cell phone and a service that gets reception in the area you're riding in and take the time to test it.
    I'd also plan my route (including any areas where i might fall off a cliff) and make sure my wife knew the route i took and how long it would normally take me to ride it and how long to wait before calling search and rescue.

I'd also put the time into finding a riding buddy too. no matter when you ride, there's bound to be someone nearby that would like to join you, it's just a matter of finding them. Riding with someone isn't just astronomically safer but it helps keep you motivated and helps maintain a pace.

mtbr member

A knife? Why not play it safe . . .

Here's what you need:

Perfect_pistol" width="549">
    Last edited by Fairfaxian; 09-22-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Chariot-style could be the way to go, it would also keep others from crowding you on the trails...
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTD
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Funny, I have had similar thoughts and my wife doesn't like me going out at the wrong times. And yes, I know that in the rare scenario where one was attacked by a lion, that it would most likely hit from behind without warning making it difficult to defend even if you had a knife/gun/whatever....but that said, carrying a knife that's over 3.5 in I think is illegal and will get you in more trouble. My "solution" is to carry bear spray, which I mount into my waterbottle cage and fix with velcro for a quickrelease. The one they sell at REI has a holster/carrying strap and the bear spray canister fits in relatively well. I think it's a better potential defense than a knife also b/c you could deploy it from 30 feet away if necessary. I know I know I know that this is a false sense of security. But at least the sheriff's guys on motos that I saw on the trails last week didn't arrest me and only said "hi" Also the person that was 'stalked' on Windy Hill last week by a mt lion (per KTVUs website) could have been in a position to use this if necessary...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by 13pumps
    Odds are you would probably never get the chance to use it since they stalk prey and attack from behind.
    That's right, you would be better of painting eyes on the back of your helmet or water pack.

Ride Responsibly
    The knife would only be illegal if it was concealed. Hate to crash and impale myself with it though. The eyes on the back idea has a lot of merit as does the pepper spray holstered to be accessible. Maybe a leather shield for the back of your neck? A good life insurance policy? A dog?

mtbr member
    Predators will always single out the weakest/youngest from the group. So, the best protection against a Mnt Lion is to always have someone weaker/younger than you come along. It's what I do.
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker

New riding attire?

Proper riding gear for your environment is very important.

Might be a little warm in the summer though!

Sep 2007
    Thanks for all the ideas. My wife would be completely placated if I found a riding partner for these 4am rides (any takers??). Having her pick out the knife is intriguing, but then she might think too much about the chances of winning a knife fight with a mountain lion. I like the idea of bear spray in the water bottle cage -- impressive sounding and unobtrusive.

BTW, I realize that I'm far more likely to die from, say, a crash than from a mountain lion.

Jim

Alien Surf Team
    I always carry a knife with me, but it's for serious work like cutting kite string from my wheels, getting Cheetos out of my teeth, etc.

But LOL @ this question in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by stichnot
    Thanks for all the ideas. My wife would be completely placated if I found a riding partner for these 4am rides (any takers??). Having her pick out the knife is intriguing, but then she might think too much about the chances of winning a knife fight with a mountain lion. I like the idea of bear spray in the water bottle cage -- impressive sounding and unobtrusive.

BTW, I realize that I'm far more likely to die from, say, a crash than from a mountain lion.

Jim
    oh......just tell your wife that all the mtn lions are hibernating now....and she need not worry until spring......

Alien Surf Team
    Chance of falling on your knife and killing yourself > Encountering a mountain lion and then successfully fending off said creature with your knife.

Chance to the OP saying this is a joke post > Anything.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Having encountered a (apparently contented) mountain lion, I can tell you that if she had wanted me for breakfast, I would never have known what hit me.

Here's what happened:

It was an early April morning in 2005 and I was on a paricularly rocky section of Oat Hill Mine Rd. just outside of Calistoga. I had accidently unclipped after hitting a rock with my heel. Since I had lost momentum, I decided to take a breather. Now that all was quiet, I heard a sound like something out of the nature channel... This loud rythmic rattle was coming from a bush about 15 feet from me. It sounded like a VERY loud version of my house cat purring, which is exactly what it was, but it wasn't a house cat. I immediately jumped to the other side of my bike and held my bike up between the cat and me. By this time she (for some reason, I think it was a she) had quit purring and I could see her behind the bush, she was eyeballing me. I yelled as loud as I could and acted like I was throwing my bike at her and she ran off. Since she ran slightly down the hill in the direction I had come from, I jumped back on my bike and went up the hill as fast as I could. I swear, I was Lance Armstrong for the next half mile or so. I was constantly checking over my shoulder and soon got to a clearing where I could see pretty clearly back in the direction I had come and she wasn't anywhere to be seen. The worst part was that Oat Hill Mine Rd is an up and back (or at least I didn't know how/where to find the loop), so I had to back down through the same place where I had seen the cat.

I'm convinced that if that cat hadn't already had breakfast (possibly the mountain biker just before me), she could have stalked me and taken me out before I ever knew what hit me. A knife (or any other weapon) would have been absolutely useless.

It's an odd feeling to suddenly realize that you're not quite at the top of the food chain, like you may have thought.

Cheers All!

Chuck
    Last edited by chuckha62; 09-22-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    Chance to the OP saying this is a joke post > Anything.
    The whole idea that I could do something in the exceptionally unlikely event of a mountain lion attack is certainly a joke. Unfortunately, it's no joke that my wife has put the kibosh on these rides until I have "protection". It's best to just go along, or I might lose these rides permanently!

Jim

Surly OG
    http://www.emersonknives.com/ekUTCOM.php

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=151

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=551

Since I go on "night patrols" on my bike in santa cruz sometimes on my $5k bike- I carry the blade for potential strong arm thug defense. Subdued blades are Invisible in the dark. You just have to remember that stabbing living flesh takes a LOT OF OOMPH, and resolve of character... embrace your primal beast / murderer. You can practice on Pork bellys - skin and flesh texture is similar to human flesh.

I carry the 551 - utility blade that can shave, and shred /slash through a full grain leather M-65.

Opens fast as an automatic too.....

Appease the wife - get the steel. But in all actuality it will be moot except as a utility tool.
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member
    Just tell your wife the knife is a waste so your going to buy a ton of life insurance so she can replace with you a new and improved model
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    On average there is less than one mountain lion fatality per year in the US.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    Maybe a leather shield for the back of your neck?

Yeh, because lions can't bite through leather. Why do you think they never go after cows

To the OP - thought about a stun gun mounted to the front strap of a back pack? It would be a useless as the knife if attacked by might make the wife happy. And it won't hurt the poor kitty.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

Alien Surf Team
    Jim, I don't want you to take this the wrong way because I was in a similar relationship, but I finally grew some balls. Now I don't suggest you abuse or disregard everything your wife says or for you to be a bully, but there's a line in the middle where you need to be "the man". I bet she respects you more for it too. You don't need to buy a knife. You need to pick your fights carefully (what's really important to you) and ride your damn bike if you want.

The whole idea that I could do something in the exceptionally unlikely event of a mountain lion attack is certainly a joke. Unfortunately, it's no joke that my wife has put the kibosh on these rides until I have "protection". It's best to just go along, or I might lose these rides permanently!

Jim

organically fed
    Back in the day, when I was a Jarhead, my homies and I used to like the Gerber folding knives because with some oiling and some practice, they can be opened with a flick of the wrist, almost switchblade-like.

Still not for mountain lions, but I pity the foo' who might need to be regulated.

mtbr member
    What ever knife you choose, be sure to store it in your Bacon Briefcase

Alien Surf Team
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    Back in the day, when I was a Jarhead, my homies and I used to like the Gerber folding knives because with some oiling and some practice, they can be opened with a flick of the wrist, almost switchblade-like.

Still not for mountain lions, but I pity the foo' who might need to be regulated.
    Or maybe a completely legal assisted opening knife and skip the oil and practice. But like I said on a previous page, good for taking kite string from my wheels (aka not killing mountain lions). haha

Sep 2008
    I heard bike reflectors make good deterrent against mtn lion attacks

Ride Responsibly
    I though about the leather as giving you that extra few seconds to realize you were about to become dinner, maybe a spiked collar?
    about as effective as other suggestions.
    Be like a predator, not prey.

May 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs
    this should get the job done

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Since mountain lions dont like loud noises, how about one of those canned air horns you use at college football games. They are rather loud. Of course, if attached from behind, you may not have a chance to use it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Jim

Print this thread and have her read it. Get a few other sources that back it up. Or, say, "Honey your right, I shouldn't ride in the mountains so early. I guess I will have to get a nice carbon road bike to train on those days." You get some training and a nice road bike out of it. If you have a road bike, already, this may not work.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker

Made for bikes

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Since mountain lions dont like loud noises, how about one of those canned air horns you use at college football games.
    Here is an air horn made for bikes...also works well on places like Los Gatos Creek Trail where groups walk 8 or more across blocking the path.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ride road dude.

I used to live very close to Waterdog and would ride as soon as the sun comes out, sometimes just before.

But during the winter, I stick to the road b/c there is just too much going on in the forest at that time, lion, an angry deer, wild pig, rattle snake...stuffs taht you prob. can't see until you come too close.

mtbr member
    Jim, quit your whining and let's meet for our ride tonight at 6 p.m. at my place.

We're going to Aldercroft Heights and beyond. Hopefully, we won't find their den in the train tunnels.

My spoon is too big!
    The Kershaw Leek is my knife of choice, though I have no delusions of self defense against anything. It's just for utility.

If you're really concerned about lions, might I suggest getting something like this?
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyard
    The Kershaw Leek is my knife of choice, though I have no delusions of self defense against anything. It's just for utility.
    x2 Best knife evah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I vote ice pick

Given the situation where a 100+ pound cat has me by the head or helmet, before I give up, I think I'd want a handy ice pick or a dagger to jam into the cat. It would be all about keeping it from slashing your neck open and hopefully fending it off until it goes away.

If it makes your wife feel safer, so much the better.

That one guy was saved last year when a friend beat on the lion with a tree branch or rock, so it isn't so clear what everyone here says - that you have no chance and attacks can't happen (in the middle of the night particularly).

Paper or plastic?
    Solution is easy: take your wife riding with you. She likely is slower than you and therefore will be recognized by the big cat as the weaker of the two. You'll be safe that way.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I know that cats hate water, so strap a bunch of water ballons to your back and when kitty hits them it will run as fast as it can from the water thats now all over it.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Jim
    Wow, your wife lets you ride a 4am. She sounds very flexible.

Aug 2008
    I ride near the ocean, and carry an oyster fork for a very similar reason.

Slowest Rider

Knife is useful - Attacks are drawn out

I got a little 4" fold out knife from Tool Logic with light and whistle, suggested by another biker. It can be opened quickly with one hand. On my early morning rides, I only carry this knife, a water bottle and cell phone.

Carrying a knife isn't so silly, although a lion attack is a very low probability. After the SoCal attack made famous by Anne Hjelle and her amazingly heroic friend, Debi Nicholls, I read through a lot of accounts about lion attacks, about those who survived and those who didn't. The thing that surprised me is that the attacks were almost never over in an instant like everyone says. Yes, the initial attack is a sudden surprise. But in all cases, the victims were in a vicious fight for their life for several minutes as they're slowly being ripped open, just like the SoCal attack on Mark Reynolds and then Anne Hjelle, who successfully escaped by fighting back with her friend. And in many other cases besides Anne, the "prey" was also able to fight back and escape. See this list, especially the encounter in 1998 where the guy (picture included) fought off a lion by using a pocket knife in the lion's eye.

And there's a lot of other creatures out there too, some on two legs, that you may want defense against and much more probable. So carrying a quick opening knife isn't such a bad idea, IMO.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

probably won't get to use it but ....

I agree with most observers that you probably would not have a chance to use it but one never knows. You hear about people fighting off a mountain lions and it does seem to me that knife would make the task allot easier. The bear spray does sound like a nice option.

I bought a knife for a similar purpose. I went with a folding one and keep it in a pouch on the belly strap of my camel back. I did see another guy who had a fixed blade mounted on his seat post behind his seat. It didn't seem easy to get to. If you get folding knife which is probably the best idea if you plan on wearing it(for reasons that others pointed out such as stabbing yourself if you crash) I recommend an assisted opener. They have a thumb knob that allows for easy opening. I would also get a pouch, it keeps the knife clean and there is almost now way you will stab yourself in a crash. For it to be of any use you would need to be able to get to it quickly and get it open. Here is one I got:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=SOG8FSA

While I have never used it on a mountain lion it does cut a mean lime for margarita's on camping trips. Allot of companies have assisted opening lock blades so you don't need to buy a SOG.

FUBAR
    Nothing less than this
    The older I get the faster I was!

I win.
    Reading this thread, while pretty funny, got me to thinking.

The problem doesn't seem to be the weapon, but more having quick access to it.

So I had some spare velcro strapping and was just tinkering around, but something like the picture below could be quite effective. You'd have to figure out a way to really strap it to the rails so it's not swinging around all the time. But at least this way you can just leave it attached to the bike and it'll always be there for when you need it.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Trying a little
    Picture a creature about 2/3 your weight that spends every day stalking and killing other creatures that themselves have keener senses and faster reactions than you, and if it doesn't succeed, it starves to death, and that for some reason, wants to kill and devour you.
    Now picture you with the biggest, sharpest buck knife facing off against it. Good luck!

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    Picture a creature about 2/3 your weight that spends every day stalking and killing other creatures that themselves have keener senses and faster reactions than you, and if it doesn't succeed, it starves to death, and that for some reason, wants to kill and devour you.
    Now picture you with the biggest, sharpest buck knife facing off against it. Good luck!
    Didn't the Romans have something like that? Better than Sunday Football.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Fireball in the Night

Not wild about that knife

The knife under the saddle is great, until you're thrown from your bike and wished that knife were on your Camelbak.

(stupid image hosting site failed me earlier...)
    Last edited by Rex_Skidmore; 09-23-2008 at 09:10 AM.
    everyone drives a Used Car

No really, I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu
    He thinks it is one of his favorite models? He doesn't know?

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker

Funny pic

If approached by a mountain lion......offer up the smallest of your children. You have more of an investment in the older one and the mountain lion would have gone for the little one anyway.

Hahahahahahah

No really, I am that slow
    I find this is the best choice for deterring cougars.

Thirsty
    A good knife is always useful to have. I agree that it won't save you from a mountain lion, but a good fixed blade knife in a quality sheath is useful to have on your pack strap.

My choice is the CRKT 2605. It can be had for less than $50 including the adjustable sheath.

mtbr member
    I watched a documentary about mountain lion attacks. One attack happened to an older guy hiking by himself. A lion attacked him from behind, and knocked him to the ground. He was able to get his folding knife from his pocket and cut the lions throat.
    The lion immediately stopped, walked a few yards and died. The guy survived the attack, because of his pocket knife. Since watching that, I attached a "neck" knife to my camelback strap. Just a slight tug and its in my hand.

Surly OG

Let's not forget the cognitive intelligence as a **** Sapien, that,... padawan is what gives the advantage.....

I'd not hesitate to assert my superior position on the food chain, especially against a 100lb cat.

Give me a blade and my brain and I'll take on a pack of attack dogs..... That would be a challenge requiring a bit of providence.

Take the blade and I'll take on a single trained attack dog...... Easy to kill a single dog, you just gotta sacrifice some flesh.

I would win.

Animals are just that..... animals, non reasoning, non thinking.

I am a human of the genus that has been at the top of the heap for eons...... no contest.
    Earn your turns. )'(

Ride Responsibly

Damn Political Correct Censor Crap

**** Sapien, pretty bad when you get Censored for a little Latin!
    On the Velcro to the seat pic, Dude, that knife will do you no good as it will be laying ten miles back where it fell off after the first bump!

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeegeek2112
    I watched a documentary about mountain lion attacks. One attack happened to an older guy hiking by himself. A lion attacked him from behind, and knocked him to the ground. He was able to get his folding knife from his pocket and cut the lions throat.
    The lion immediately stopped, walked a few yards and died. The guy survived the attack, because of his pocket knife. Since watching that, I attached a "neck" knife to my camelback strap. Just a slight tug and its in my hand.

That sounds like a load of horse pucky.
    What I will tell you is, in upper Londsdale where I used to live in Vancouver, a mom and her 11 year old son were out for a ride (horse ride) on the (Baden Powell) trail. A lion lept from the side of the trail, and took the kid off the horse. Killed the mom, too.

Here's the fun list of attacks, I think this is pretty accurate. I know this is repeat of at least one other identical mtbr thread but, hey so sue me http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_nonca.html. I like the one description about the lion losing interest after being stabbed, not because it got stabbed, but because it literally lost interest.

organically fed
    You'd have to be straight retarded to choose a knife over pepper spray.

mtbr member
    I try and start every day by killing a mountain lion. It goes right up there after my morning wheaties. Best advice I can give you is to start out fighting neighborhood cats and then jump right into bears.

I should mention that I only do this when they're asleep at the zoo, but who are you to judge?

Seriously though, just carry a $20 Huffy on your back and launch that at em.

Surly OG

Right, so it's going to be SO EASY to spray a rapidly bounding cat and hit it in the face / snout, and of course then it'll be on you doing the things animals like this do... trying to get a death bite on the neck. Oh yeah, and now the cat's all covered with pepper spray, so you might as well spray yourself first... that pain will take your mind of the other pain of being slashed and bitten, wrestled and thrashed while the cat gets into position to dispatch it's prey.

and let's hope you're upwind when you pull the trigger on that pepper spray.....

Yah, I'll take the blade and stand my ground. I must be a 'tard.
    Earn your turns. )'(

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerDan
    Right, so it's going to be SO EASY to spray a rapidly bounding cat and hit it in the face / snout, and of course then it'll be on you doing the things animals like this do... trying to get a death bite on the neck. Oh yeah, and now the cat's all covered with pepper spray, so you might as well spray yourself first... that pain will take your mind of the other pain of being slashed and bitten, wrestled and thrashed while the cat gets into position to dispatch it's prey.

and let's hope you're upwind when you pull the trigger on that pepper spray.....

Yah, I'll take the blade and stand my ground. I must be a 'tard.
    yes....just spray yourself....cat will sneeze.....say "bleck"!....give you the *stank-eye*...then leave all disgruntled and hungry.......

and i agree.....you must be a 'tard.....

ballbuster

Heh...

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing at the thought of somebody bringing a knife to a lion fight.

Yelling, flailing arms, holding your bike overhead (throwing that shizo?) and pepper spray...those are your only hopes for survival in the unlikely event of a hostile mountain lion encounter.
    ... or in the event that you actually survive the surprise attack from behind intact enough to do anything about it.

I would approach this from the other angle. Get the biggest nastiest looking knife you can to make your wife feel better, but don't tell her it won't do a dang thing for you in an actual cougar attack.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    I try and start every day by killing a mountain lion. It goes right up there after my morning wheaties. Best advice I can give you is to start out fighting neighborhood cats and then jump right into bears.

I should mention that I only do this when they're asleep at the zoo, but who are you to judge?

Seriously though, just carry a $20 Huffy on your back and launch that at em.

That's so All Mountain! Have a Mountain Dew afterward.

In Search of Singletrack
    This is the funniest and , at the same time, most utterly ridiculous thread I have seen in some time! thanks! Time to tell the wife to be LOGICAL.

Ride Responsibly
    Oh come on now! you stand a better chance defeating the lion than reasoning with the wife

aka baycat
    What does Chuck Norris charge per the hour?

Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    What does Chuck Norris charge per the hour?
    whatever the F&@$ he wants?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    I hear Bic is releasing a special Mountain Lion Pen. You need to bring your wife along to use it properly though.

Pedaler of dirt
    Oh come on now! you stand a better chance defeating the lion than reasoning with the wife
    I win every argument I have with my wife.

(Where 'win' is defined by the result of

if argument is over AND #balls == 2
    then argument{win}="won"
    endif;
    )
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Go pick out a nice knife, show it to your wife, and make sure she sees you leaving and coming home with it from all your rides.

Then, when you leave for your ride just stash it somewhere and then pick it up on your way home.

Makes you wife happy and prevents you from having to carry a knife with you riding.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by kuuk
    Wow, your wife lets you ride a 4am. She sounds very flexible.
    Yeah, sounds good, eh? I'll be at their house around 4:30.

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Fireball in the Night

Don't know why it hasnt been mentioned before...

I like to ride a few times a week in certain mountainous areas to keep in shape. Most of these rides tend to be solo and in the darkness while the rest of the family is asleep. My wife does not like this at all, because she is sure I will one day be eaten by a mountain lion. She says the only way she can be at all comfortable with these solo rides is if I carry a big knife to fend off the mountain lions.
    You really should do some research on this from a UK perspective.
    It seems that 30 years ago their TV stars learned how to protect from lion / tiger attacks. And raspberries.
    Rexxx
    everyone drives a Used Car

Sep 2007
    Thanks everyone for both the semi-serious and entertaining suggestions.

I went for the SOG Flash II. It serves its purpose -- scary enough looking that my wife doesn't even want to come near it. Hopefully the mountain lions will feel the same.

Jim

Thirsty

That made my day!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Thanks everyone for both the semi-serious and entertaining suggestions.

I went for the SOG Flash II. It serves its purpose -- scary enough looking that my wife doesn't even want to come near it. Hopefully the mountain lions will feel the same.

Jim
    I really feel you need to educate yourself and your wife about mountain lions. Both of you will be paranoid every time you ride about a threat that does not exist.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Don't listen to the people who say that you would never have time to defend yourself. If a 73 year old woman can save her husbands' life with a ball point pen, (it happened at Prarie Creek State Park two years ago) you can improve your odds with a knife, if it is accessible-not so much if you are jumped from behind, but if you get in a stalking type confrontation.

I have carried a machete, in a sheath, ny-tied to the back of my camelback. Primarily, it is for quick access in doing trail work, but I could get it out in a second, if I needed to and it doesn't weigh that much. Usually though, I just run with my very sharp folding pruning saw, which sounds ridiculous, but has proven effective over the years inflicting numerous small slashing cuts on myself.

I'm convinced that the most likely mountain lion attack will come from an adolescent, marginally competent hunter, as we are not their primary food source. Although I could not fight off a determined mountain lion, I might be able to make myself more trouble than I'm worth, as I don't think they are used to creatures that fight back.

All that said, riding alone in the dark has so many other hazards...do you leave your wife a note as to what loop you are riding and does she have a phone number of a friend who knows the area that can come look for you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [QUOTE=twindaddy]Coincidentally my wife is afraid of the cougars when I go out drinking.

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by codypup
    Don't listen to the people who say that you would never have time to defend yourself. If a 73 year old woman can save her husbands' life with a ball point pen,
    So what you're saying is that i should bring a 73 year old women with a bic pen with me?

[QUOTE=codypup]...you can improve your odds with a knife...[QUOTE]

Speaking of odds, I did some research and found that there has been only 14 mountain lion attacks in California in 120 years (mind you my research skills are weak so please prove me wrong if you can)
    Odd's are that if you get attacked it's going to be a surprise attack. The lion is gonna knock you off your bike and go for your jugular. At that moment, after you get over the initial shock of what just happened your instinct will be to pry the jaws open before it kills you and your not gonna have time to reach for your knife (god forbid it's on your bike that is now laying 5 feet away) but i feel like the point is moot.
    Odd's are better that you will be shot by pot farmers or clubbed by meth heads or bitten by a snake or simply just crash bad enough to stop you from getting home than attacked by a mountain lion. Wouldn't it be better to worry about the dangers that are more likely to happen than the ones that are less likely but more horrific?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

What, me worry?

Dear Sara,

Who said I was worried?

Also, even though there have only been 14 mountain lion attacks recorded, as you say, if you mountain bike alone, at 4 am, as the original poster has said he does, you have just enrolled in a subset of people with considerably higher odds, even if they are still relatively low.

Also, things are different. Five or six years ago, I didn't know anyone who had ever seen a mountain lion near where I live. Since that time, I have had two sightings within 100 feet of my house and it is becoming more uncommon to find someone who has not seen one, than one who has.

[QUOTE=Biker_Scout_Sparky]So what you're saying is that i should bring a 73 year old women with a bic pen with me?

[QUOTE=codypup]...you can improve your odds with a knife...

Speaking of odds, I did some research and found that there has been only 14 mountain lion attacks in California in 120 years (mind you my research skills are weak so please prove me wrong if you can)
    Odd's are that if you get attacked it's going to be a surprise attack. The lion is gonna knock you off your bike and go for your jugular. At that moment, after you get over the initial shock of what just happened your instinct will be to pry the jaws open before it kills you and your not gonna have time to reach for your knife (god forbid it's on your bike that is now laying 5 feet away) but i feel like the point is moot.
    Odd's are better that you will be shot by pot farmers or clubbed by meth heads or bitten by a snake or simply just crash bad enough to stop you from getting home than attacked by a mountain lion. Wouldn't it be better to worry about the dangers that are more likely to happen than the ones that are less likely but more horrific?

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Scout_Sparky
    Please don't talk to my wife, or I may never be "allowed" to ride again!

Jim

mtbr member

No, its not rediculous

Hey, I have seen two in broad daylight in Marin County. All cats like to hunt just after dark- ever see a house cat get "the 8 O'Clock crazies"? Its an instinct common to all cats. Cougars have killed mountain bikers, well one that I know of. I think they are beautiful animals and I would never want to hurt one. but then again Im not ready to be cat food. Here is the perfect knife: http://www.coldsteel.com/spike.html , attaches to your shoulder strap for quick access, hard plastic sheath so you dont stab yourself when you crash, small and light weight. It would also be handy for cutting off your freshly shat upon underwear afterward.

mtbr member
    Please don't talk to my wife, or I may never be "allowed" to ride again!

Jim
    Jim, just ride on this trail from now on to save your wife the worries. It's not very technical and doesn't have many climbs, but the views are great. And that's a dog chasing the biker.

{Insert ten millionth cougar joke here}

mtbr member
    Next time your in Nevada or Arizona drop by a nice Gun shop or Cutlery store and ask about Automatic Knives NOT Switchblades (since they are not legal ) and see what they have.

I don't think they will ship a automatic knife to California.

http://www.888knivesrus.com/category/automaticknives/

Good knives are not cheap
    Last edited by jeffh; 10-06-2008 at 08:22 PM.

annadel lives in my blood
    get pepper spray
    annadel is where its at

CHECK OUT MY FLICKR http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Aquaman

Come on really?

Even pepper spray is a little paranoid.

mtbr member

Heres your knife

VeloNerd
    Dec 2005
    I agree with the consensus here that a knife (or anything) is likely to help.

but I would recommend a good saw. It looks scary so your wife should be placated. and now you have a nice saw on your rides so you can clear a small downed tree if you find one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That's what I carry. In addition to whatever limited personal protection it provides, it is vastly superior to any other tool I have found for cutting pampas grass, thr true scourge of all plant life.

fc
    The consensus in the office is you need to carry a gatling gun to have adequate protection while clearing brush.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...un-357235.html

Any other mountain lion protection is a joke.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

hmmm

Key word here is "office", where I suspect you get all your information about the wild.

Caca pasa
    Why am I still subscribed to this dumbass thread???

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Quote Originally Posted by codypup
    Key word here is "office", where I suspect you get all your information about the wild.
    Francois, got any pictures of your "office" for Codypup?
    you may also want to share with him some of your "field work".

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Why am I still subscribed to this dumbass thread???

fp

+1, couldn't agree more

mtbr member
    On what facts do you base this statement? I've never seen any of the pepper spray ads or anything else say sprays work on lions. Bears have a much more sensitive nose than lions so just because sprays work on bears does not mean that a spray would work on a lion. Lions have been driven off by rocks and sticks what makes you think a knife wouldn't work?
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    The consensus in the office is you need to carry a gatling gun to have adequate protection while clearing brush.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...un-357235.html

Any other mountain lion protection is a joke.

fc
    Is that our fearless govenator making the trails safe from lions?

organically fed
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyB
    On what facts do you base this statement? I've never seen any of the pepper spray ads or anything else say sprays work on lions. Bears have a much more sensitive nose than lions so just because sprays work on bears does not mean that a spray would work on a lion. Lions have been driven off by rocks and sticks what makes you think a knife wouldn't work?

Here is the basis of my statement:

1. Pepper spray is from Cayenne Pepper. It's not about the nose so much as it is about the eyes. Do you think mountain lions' eyes are somehow impervious to the irritation and sheer pain induced by Cayenne Pepper?

2. As a former MP, I had to be sprayed with it in order to be certified to carry it. 80 jarheads at a time were absolutely lick-stuck and unable to do anything but wander around in sheer agony, with our eyes closed. I tried to open my eyes and it was simply not possible for more than a split-second. I actually closed my eyes before the stream hit me, but as soon as I opened them, BAM! the fumes got me good.

3. As an MP, I once sprayed a guy who was getting squirrelly (sp?) with me and the fool was just about convulsing as he was carted off in an ambulance, frothing at the mouth and screaming that he was dying.

4. Pepper spray is like horseshoes and hand grenades in that "close enough" is close enough, as opposed to a knife.

Further reading for any interested parties:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mount...rch&hl=en&sa=2

ps, where did I say a knife wouldn't work? I didn't. I just think pepper spray would be much more effective and quick. Your mileage may vary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ^ lol ^

Feeling a little taller
    What I will tell you is, in upper Londsdale where I used to live in Vancouver, a mom and her 11 year old son were out for a ride (horse ride) on the (Baden Powell) trail. A lion lept from the side of the trail, and took the kid off the horse. Killed the mom, too.

Here's the fun list of attacks, I think this is pretty accurate. I know this is repeat of at least one other identical mtbr thread but, hey so sue me http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_nonca.html. I like the one description about the lion losing interest after being stabbed, not because it got stabbed, but because it literally lost interest.
    After reading the article, it seems that riding with at least one 4-6 year old might prove more valuable than a knife. Mountain lions can be baited by the child, then poked until loosing interest.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    After reading the article, it seems that riding with at least one 4-6 year old might prove more valuable than a knife. Mountain lions can be baited by the child, then poked until loosing interest.
    It's like surfing. You don't need to outswim the shark, just one other surfer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

"It’s good for the occasional moose you run into"

I learned something useful reading this thread.
    Who woulda thunk it?
    Moose spray!

-eddie.
    /Users/Ashley/Desktop/20080721-VoipSurvivor-Swiss-army-knife-for-protocols.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Benchmade 141 serrated D2

mtbr member
    Have your wife read this thread,
    see the danger isn't with the fur bearing.

Oh yea.

Monterey Rider

Now stop snickering and help me out. Any suggestions for a suitable knife? Here are some criteria:

1. Big and scary and impressive looking.
    2. Not too heavy since I have to carry this thing.
    3. Would be nice to have some extra usefulness like cutting away brush that has fallen across the trail.
    4. Very nice if I can get Amazon Prime shipping.

Thanks,

Jim

I had a Mt. Lion incident last April on Fort Ord. Now I carry a Gerber LMF II. It's great! It comes with an awesome sheath that fits perfectly on my Camelbak.

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

It's the axle
    A mountain lion knife is like a lightening umbrella.

mtbr member

Here is your load of horse pucky.

In August 2002, 61-year-old retired mill worker Dave Parker was out for his nightly walk when a 100-pound phantom ambushed him from an overhanging cliff. Man and cougar went to the ground as the cat stripped the flesh from Parker's face and prepared to sink its teeth into his neck. Parker had the presence of mind to reach into his pocket and pull out his knife, a three-inch blade. He managed to stab the cat twice before it pulled away, cutting its own throat on the upheld knife. Parker watched it crawl a few feet and then bleed out. He staggered nearly a mile to a pulp mill, where workers recall him looking like something out of a horror movie. Severely injured and in need of reconstructive surgery, he survived.
    This story can be found at :
    http://outside.away.com/outside/feat...stalker_3.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I used to hike/train in an area that multiple mountain lions (they are siblings, apparently) called home. After finding unmistakable paw prints inside my boot prints after a snowfall (the cat's prints went all the way the mountain, and all the way down the mountain) I realized I had been stalked without even knowing it. Then I started carrying pepper spray, a freon horn, a knife, and trekking poles. In hindsight a gun would have been a better choice. I've solved the problem by not hiking in that area anymore.

JJ

How about a Mtn Bike Camail? .

Mtn Lions go for the neck first.... this nice contraption could buy you some time while you fumble around for your weapon of choice.
    Pulling the baby trailer is probably far more effective in 'buying time'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camail
    Last edited by j3blur; 10-24-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Weird huh?
    HOW'D I miss this thread? Load up on guns and bring your friends! I personally carry an assortment of firearms and knives whenever I hit Demo. Burley trailers work great for pony kegs and extra ammo too!

Happy Hunting

Mike

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Solo42

Do bring a knife to M-lion fight!!

First off, I've never been attacked by a mountain lion. I do carry a knife, well sheathed , but highly accessible on my camel back chest strap for a potential encounter. Anyone who advises against this practice, is foolish. There are well documented cases of mountain lion attack victims who have survived by killing the lion with a simple pocket knife...you don't believe it? Research it before you advise others against it.

Mace, and screaming at the lion presumes you see it stalking you on the trail. YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT COMING. It will blind side you as you ride past it, or leap on your back. In this situation your only hope is that you have a knife and are able to remain conscious long enough to deliver a stab wound to its neck, and hopefully kill it. It has happenned. Common sense dictates that without a knife, your odds of surviving a physical encounter with a lion are less probable, than if you have a knife and are able to inflict damage to the animal.

mtbr member
    Purrrrr...
    Leap!!!

Devo
    i just got back from a month long tour of Humboldt County.
    i was talking to a Ranger at Elk Prairie Campgrounds,
    and he recommends an air horn.

just the sudden blast of the air horn.

i thought that was a solid option.

i often carry a slingshot, simply as a deterrent and another way of letting things know that i'm around.

but i think a small air horn would work great.
    bears would respond to that too.

and it would probably be pretty good for chasing dogs.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon318
    I had a Mt. Lion incident last April on Fort Ord. Now I carry a Gerber LMF II. It's great! It comes with an awesome sheath that fits perfectly on my Camelbak.

the first time i ever saw a Mt. Lion
    was when i was stationed there 88-91

i think it was 89'
    i was riding a then new Cdale off of Henekin Ranch rd.
    up hill, in the fog, at a flat spot, there it was...
    it had caught something, it was pinned under one paw

it picked up its prey, and disappeared into the under brush.
    www.AsanaCycles.com

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by manny40
    rawr!

mtbr member
    I saw one at Ft Ord a few weeks ago. It was just inside the gate at 8th and Gigling. It looked at me and crossed the road and disappeared.

A while back I saw two at the same time chasing each other at Garland Ranch. They ran from bush to bush in and out of cover and finally crossed a ridge. A minute after they were gone a huge buck broke cover and followed the lions across the same ridge!

Resident Curmudgeon
    you need a Holy Hand Grenade to really be safe from Mt Lions

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7b4_1188902156
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo

Probably work great for letting horsies know of your presence too

Devo
    ya, there are plenty lions around Mtry.
    i think its simply bcz there is a bunch of food, and now the water is a bit more, i guess...

i've lived here in Monterey for 20yrs now.

i lived in Pacific Grove for sometime...

used to ride home from work after 11pm, etc...

the water on the golf courses, the deer...

lots of turkey out these days too...

lions everywhere...

a couple of years ago, Pacific Grove High School had a deer kill under the bleachers.

its not uncommon, no doubt, and i've more than lost tract of the times I've seen a Puma around here.

I just got back from Humboldt, and i guess there are even more lions up there.
    stories of seeing them stalking deer right in the lumber yards!

all you can really do, is try to take all those precautionary measures...
    and hope luck is on your side.

in humboldt i had a flat, around dusk, along a dbl track in a canyon...
    ya... didn't feel so easy about bending over to remove a wheel...
    but what can you do right?
    get into the open...
    stand up... and try not to crouch down, turn on a helmet light?
    make noise?

uhh... just hope, right?

right...
    www.AsanaCycles.com

Solo42
    ya, there are plenty lions around Mtry.
    i think its simply bcz there is a bunch of food, and now the water is a bit more, i guess...

i've lived here in Monterey for 20yrs now.

i lived in Pacific Grove for sometime...

used to ride home from work after 11pm, etc...

the water on the golf courses, the deer...

lots of turkey out these days too...

lions everywhere...

a couple of years ago, Pacific Grove High School had a deer kill under the bleachers.

its not uncommon, no doubt, and i've more than lost tract of the times I've seen a Puma around here.

I just got back from Humboldt, and i guess there are even more lions up there.
    stories of seeing them stalking deer right in the lumber yards!

all you can really do, is try to take all those precautionary measures...
    and hope luck is on your side.

in humboldt i had a flat, around dusk, along a dbl track in a canyon...
    ya... didn't feel so easy about bending over to remove a wheel...
    but what can you do right?
    get into the open...
    stand up... and try not to crouch down, turn on a helmet light?
    make noise?

uhh... just hope, right?

right...
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned donning a dog costume...and barking quite loudly as you manual along the trails...

Weird huh?

Thanks!

For the insight Marlin Perkins.

I personally recommend large caliber handguns......bigger the better.

mmmmmboy!

Cheers

Weird huh?

almost forgot...

don't wait for them to blindside you....hunt them down!

Wilder and Demo are both excellent places to go blasting for large cats....

Here kitty kitty

Feeling a little taller
    i just got back from a month long tour of Humboldt County.
    i was talking to a Ranger at Elk Prairie Campgrounds,
    and he recommends an air horn.

just the sudden blast of the air horn.

i thought that was a solid option.

i often carry a slingshot, simply as a deterrent and another way of letting things know that i'm around.

bears would respond to that too.

and it would probably be pretty good for chasing dogs.
    Bringing back an old picture and story:

And the SPOOF
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

It's about showing up.

one word...

machete.

Solo42

Upset Hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    don't wait for them to blindside you....hunt them down!

Wilder and Demo are both excellent places to go blasting for large cats....

Here kitty kitty
    Dude...you're joking right? I'm no freakin' tree hugger or save the whales type of guy, but why in the hell would you want to post something so ridiculous as the advocation of killing an animal for spite? As a mountain biker, a SCUBA diver, etc., I accept the risks of the environments I play in. I would not hesitate to kill an animal in self defense, but I have way too much respect for nature and its wild life, to arbitrarily hunt and kill animals for the hell of it. Your way off line, Mr. Crocodile Dundee...

Silence! I kill you!
    Dude...you're joking right? I'm no freakin' tree hugger or save the whales type of guy, but why in the hell would you want to post something so ridiculous as the advocation of killing an animal for spite? As a mountain biker, a SCUBA diver, etc., I accept the risks of the environments I play in. I would not hesitate to kill an animal in self defense, but I have way too much respect for nature and its wild life, to arbitrarily hunt and kill animals for the hell of it. Your way off line, Mr. Crocodile Dundee...
    Its ok, he's joking.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Weird huh?

sorry...

Dude...you're joking right? I'm no freakin' tree hugger or save the whales type of guy, but why in the hell would you want to post something so ridiculous as the advocation of killing an animal for spite? As a mountain biker, a SCUBA diver, etc., I accept the risks of the environments I play in. I would not hesitate to kill an animal in self defense, but I have way too much respect for nature a its wild life, to arbitrarily hunt and kill animals for the hell of it. Your way off line, Mr. Crocodile Dundee...
    Didn't mean to imply that I'm doing it in an arbitrary fashion...I'm not. It's purely Intentional. Killing mountain lions, gophers, and other assorted riff-raff in the woods is what it's all about!

Larger the caliber weapon...the better...

I says.

Cheers

Silence! I kill you!
    Oops, maybe he's not joking after all.

Do you ever go hand to hand in your kills, or do you prefer a rifle, sniper style?
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Weird huh?

Blammo!

Meow!

Solo42

... and if we just ... Blam-POW

Meow!
    Oh yes, I get it now. A regular Jerry Lewis. Well, gotta admit you sure joshed me good, Mr. Dundee. An' ya keep pokin' at me. That's ok, if it's just in jest , It's all good. Now...when you get tackled by a 150 pounder, as you ride by in your little tight spandex humming Madonna's "Like A Virgin", I hope you have it in you to let out a loud and motivated cackle, and remember our little discussion. Good luck to you, buddy.

Solo42
    I see...I see.

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeegeek2112
    Here is your load of horse pucky.

In August 2002, 61-year-old retired mill worker Dave Parker was out for his nightly walk when a 100-pound phantom ambushed him from an overhanging cliff. Man and cougar went to the ground as the cat stripped the flesh from Parker's face and prepared to sink its teeth into his neck. Parker had the presence of mind to reach into his pocket and pull out his knife, a three-inch blade. He managed to stab the cat twice before it pulled away, cutting its own throat on the upheld knife. Parker watched it crawl a few feet and then bleed out. He staggered nearly a mile to a pulp mill, where workers recall him looking like something out of a horror movie. Severely injured and in need of reconstructive surgery, he survived.
    This story can be found at :
    http://outside.away.com/outside/feat...stalker_3.html
    You're very easily fooled to believe that.
    That would have been national news all over CNN and on the many websites that track mountain lion attacks, and of course it wasn't / isn't. That is all.

Trying a little
    HOW'D I miss this thread? Load up on guns and bring your friends! I personally carry an assortment of firearms and knives whenever I hit Demo. Burley trailers work great for pony kegs and extra ammo too!

Happy Hunting

Mike
    ******** what you really need is one of these way more fun. I carry one in my camelback at all times. If the cops stop me I just tell them I'm on my way to a softball game.

Solo42

Cool-blue Rhythm Fooled??

That would have been national news all over CNN and on the many websites that track mountain lion attacks, and of course it wasn't / isn't. That is all.
    WOW...the mind reels at your cynicism...Let's see, where should I begin...? IT WAS ON THE NEWS! In fact, I saw a segment of this man's ordeal on the Discovery channel...wounds and all. It does happen/did happen. Do you monitor the news 24/7 to make such an assertion??

mtbr member

It also made it on a discovery channel documentary on mountain lions. I guess you are right, if it doesn't make national news, it didn't really happen.

Silence! I kill you!
    It was on TV & the internet, it must be true! Think of what would happen if there were un truths on the internet. How would we decipher what is true and what is false? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    It was on TV & the internet, it must be true! Think of what would happen if there were un truths on the internet. How would we decipher what is true and what is false? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Thanks for opening my eyes jorgemonkey(if indeed you are real). I will never believe another mountain lion story I see on TV or read on the net. All mountain lion encounters are fake until I see one for myself. If I do see one and posted it online, no one will believe it because they will read it online. Since I read you're post on the net, I can only assume there is a small chance a real person typed it. Tool.

mtbr member
    Complete with photographs

Confirmed Cougar Attacks

Somebody owes somebody an apology.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bear spray. People have successfully fought off attacks using pens, sticks, swiss army knifes, little cartridges of pepper spray, etc -- so I figure carrying the bear spray gives an extra measure of defense (compared to not carrying anything at all).

Have never had occasion to use it (nor have I had occasion to get struck by lightning, which is more likely), but I understand it will pretty much take down anything with eyes and lungs at a distance of 15 feet.

Biking partner carries a can too -- so if either of us gets attacked, the other can do the sprayin' and prayin'.

Solo42

... and if we just ... Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    LOL...coffeegeek is right; You ARE a tool!!

Solo42
    Tell 'em, Jimbo! Bunch of cynics. If they don't believe tv, internet, so on and so forth, how do they keep up with current events????????? I am befuddled...BEFUDDLED.

Silence! I kill you!
    It seems I forgot to add the < sarcasm> tag to my last post. Oh well.

< sarcasm> Oh, and BTW I am a hand puppet. Please see avatar. < /sarcasm>
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

banned
    Nov 2007

Bump

Day Ago #1
    K-max
    Totally, and to the max.

Posts: 2,098 I just want to republish this graph I made back in 2005. Yay.

I dare someone to bump this thread back to the top...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...in+lion+attack

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swell Guy
    Here are the stats:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/attacks.html

mtbr member
    loud air horn
    bear pepper spray
    big knife

this might help

Totally, and to the max.
    Yay!

mtbr member
    i suggest nunchucks and throwing stars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

The best way is to ride with someone solower and juicier than yourself.

SS Clyde 29er

DAng, ya'll got any other ideas?! HA!!

such a resourceful crowd!

Weird huh?

rustle rustle....

Here kitty kitty....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah, pepperspray/bearspray If you read up on law enforcement forums, it's considered the best thing a consumer can get. consumer tasers are a joke, mace sucks. peperspray is where it's at. that thing shoots like 6 ft.

unlike a knife you don't need to sheath it, just have it on your strap.

if you spraying upwind, u probably gonna get both of you, but better than fightin gyour knife against a lions claws.

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Who knew that the zombie apocalypse would start with threads on forums.

Way to bring it back from the dead, dude!!

Weird huh?
    Thank you God ! Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    yeah, pepperspray/bearspray If you read up on law enforcement forums, it's considered the best thing a consumer can get. consumer tasers are a joke, mace sucks. peperspray is where it's at. that thing shoots like 6 ft.

unlike a knife you don't need to sheath it, just have it on your strap.

if you spraying upwind, u probably gonna get both of you, but better than fightin gyour knife against a lions claws.
    Not exactly true. Depends on the knife. I'd give Kitteh a quick manicure on those claws then see if he wanted more.

banned
    Sep 2010
    A knife might not do it, but one of them Jihadi Suicide Vests would get Big Kitty off yer back.
    Just don't crash!

I like mtn biking, too
    Oh goody! I love this thread! Perfect for beer:30 on a Friday night. Now all we need is to give huckin' kitty a mountain lion knife.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just got a new mountain lion knife, Gerber EZ-OUT, it rules!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Skamania Mines Road Cat Sighting

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Just tell your wife the knife is a waste so your going to buy a ton of life insurance so she can replace with you a new and improved model
    I run and bike in the SW Washington Cascades. Two years ago, I saw a mature mountain lion, probably a female, on the logging road above me about 50 yards. It lingered for a minute then jumped down into the forest. A moment later, what looked like a 6-mo-old cat jumped down from the forest to the road, lingered, and then jumped down apparently following its mother. I had a mountain lion encounter outside Colton, CA, in 1979 (a long story) and know I can handle myself. I always carry a KAYBAR 8-in Marine Corps fighting knife & a Gerber Applegate Fairbairn 3-in folding knife, the latter for piercing an eye if necessary, the way Andy Peterson did in Colorado back in the '90s with only a pocket knife. It caused the lion to release its jaws, wrapped around his head, enabling him to get away.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Holy first post zombie thread!!!

I always pack for big kitties.

(my camera)
    Last edited by dirtvert; 10-02-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerDan View Post

Since I go on "night patrols" on my bike in santa cruz sometimes on my $5k bike- I carry the blade for potential strong arm thug defense.
    Yeah, on night rides in SC, I'm more concerned about being attacked by tweaker homeless people than by wildlife.

Pepper spray FTW, I think.

I dig trails!
    Pepper spray your friend in the face, then split! (I've heard Sriracha sauce is more effective tho... or milk. Cats love milk.)

P

Weird huh?
    In !

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had an encounter with a mountain lion last weekend. At least, I think it was a mountain lion.

I was hiking in Malakoff Diggins (north of Nevada City, CA) and heart a big rustling in the bushes followed by a deep LOUD growl. I don't know what else it could be but we backed out of there.

What's the consensus of this thread? I don't want to read 7 pages of arguing

mtbr member
    This whole knife thing got going from a success story or two of knives actually saving a few folks. One hiker was in the jaws and got to his folding knife and cut kitty's neck and saved himself. Kitty pronounced dead at the scene. Happened in Canada? and I think there was another similar story. IMO ... A folding knife with 3 inch blade will be fine if opened and locked in time! Good for self defense also if needed.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    From my experience chasing a mountain lion during a ride this summer, I'd say a loud freehub is what does the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    This whole knife thing got going from a success story or two of knives actually saving a few folks. One hiker was in the jaws and got to his folding knife and cut kitty's neck and saved himself. Kitty pronounced dead at the scene. Happened in Canada? and I think there was another similar story. IMO ... A folding knife with 3 inch blade will be fine if opened and locked in time! Good for self defense also if needed.
    I was thinking something like a 6-8" fixed blade on a thigh sheath would be better. No fumbling with opening a knife from your pocket... bear mace or a gun on a hip holster would probably be better though. I'm a competition-level good shot but don't have a permit to carry in public...

mtbr member

I ride with a 3.5" fixed blade permanently strapped to the front of my pack strap. Centerline carry, easy fast access with either hand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist View Post
    I ride with a 3.5" fixed blade permanently strapped to the front of my pack strap. Centerline carry, easy fast access with either hand.
    How exactly is it strapped? Looking for ideas.

mtbr member

With zip ties on the Kydex sheath

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Coincidentally my wife is afraid of the cougars when I go out drinking.

As for the knife - if it's really just to placate your wife just let her pick it out. I carry a small folding knife for the same reason, but realize the only time I'd ever be able to use it is when I'm slicing an apple on the trail or cutting a nasty hang nail.
    ^THIS^, best response to this whole thread!!

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Recommendation for a mountain lion knife

Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist View Post

With zip ties on the Kydex sheath
    Are you sure your beacon is accessible enough? I mean, what if you were paralyzed everywhere except for your tongue? That's why I use a chin mount for mine. It holds it 1 inch from my face at all times.

mtbr member

Nvm

Snowjnky McDreamy
    are the mountain lion knifes also good for pit bulls?
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I really feel you need to educate yourself and your wife about mountain lions. Both of you will be paranoid every time you ride about a threat that does not exist.

fc
    i don't agree. Mountain Lions are a risk. but profoundly lower than the risk you take each time you drive your car. and each time you ride your bike on a road with cars, forget it. in fact, keep spending time on the rode and you will certainly be hit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Last edited by Minimaltread; 10-17-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Weird huh?
    he he he...Name:  Preview.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  19.9 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Eight pages and it seems almost inconceivable that the best most obvious protection solution has not been mentioned?!? So better late than never I will chime in to say that a TASER is the way to go for mountain lion protection! (Plus with a taser you don't have to worry about a ride buddy stealing your PowerBar.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Im sorry you've incurred so much abuse for this question. If you're a strong man . You might be able to live and stop a cougar attack. There is a true story on the net of a man killing a lion with a knife while being attacked. You need a sub hilt fighter or something that you can handle comfortably with a 6 to 10 inch blade . And keep it razor sharp. Also do things to improve your knife skills. And butcher a pig or something.

mtbr member
    Nice necro-post.

I solved this problem simply by marrying the cougar that was stalking me.

Win/win.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Holy zombie thread, Fish Man.

As for the topic, there was a 65-year old woman that saved her husband from an attack with the help of a pen, so that's all I carry now (I carry a pen, not an older woman).
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    I had an encounter with a lion on the Cache Creek ridge trail. I surprised both of us speeding around a corner. He stalked from 100 feet away to about 30 while I made myself big, yelled, and tossed rocks at it. It finally ran when I picked up the bike and charged it yelling like a terrified maniac.

Now, I always have a cow bell ringing in cat and bear country and I carry counterassault bear spray in a pocket. I hope to never need it.

In a typical lion attack, I would hope that biting into that can of bear spray would ruin his pleasure at such a rich fatty meal!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I wouldn't bother to have a mtn lion knife if I couldn't wear so it could be drawn in a fraction of a second, and I had good skills for slashing and stabbing. Otherwise it would be a liability.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I knew I remembered a thread like this. I looked for it a week or so ago. I’ve been trying to get a patent on a mountain lion knife but have hit a snag in the patent. Apparently there’s already one with a...well I can’t say. I was hoping this thread would reveal the similarities. Haven’t seen it in here though as I had hoped, back to the drawing board.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I knew I remembered a thread like this. I looked for it a week or so ago. I’ve been trying to get a patent on a mountain lion knife but have hit a snag in the patent. Apparently there’s already one with a...well I can’t say. I was hoping this thread would reveal the similarities. Haven’t seen it in here though as I had hoped, back to the drawing board.
    If you need a beta-tester, DJ, you know where you can find me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i love knives. calling it a lion knife or whatever is secondary. whatever happens, if an lion attacks, it would be true statement that "fighting a lion has got to be better with a knife" whatever, i bet i could imaging buying a knife i wanted for an even less logical reason. for example: "hey, i could definately get caught up in kelp!" and now i own a pretty bad ass corrosion impossible knife

mtn biking, i think you have one option. a fixed blade with a tight fitting kydex sheath. i would get a Survive Knives GSO 3.5. because you never know.. LIONS! (its a great knife)
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Just carry a can opener and a can of tuna.

Members who have read this thread: 124