RCDO Night Rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RCDO Night Rides

So far we have three night bike rides in 2010 the dates are August 27th (1/2 moon), Sept 9th (new moon), and Sept 27th (full moon).

The first one, scheduled for Aug 27th is to run from 6:45pm to 10:30pm.

I will add more info the closer the dates get. DT

http://www.openspaceauthority.org/

pro leisure tour

Been waitin'...

....all summer for the RCDO Night Rides to start. Going to check the calendar right now. Oh cool, the full moon ride on 9/27 is really on the full moon, a Monday. Nice changeup! Thank you Plantguy.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

my body breaks the falls
    I was beginning to wonder if we'd overstayed our welcome last year
    Glad these are on the calendar!
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Thanks!

TANSTAAFL
    looking forward to it, I ride there a few times a week, and it remains a fun ride, great for getting some exercise in
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

mtbr member
    The official word. DT

This fall Rancho Cañada del Oro’s more than 8 miles of trails will be open after dark just for bikes as these popular cycling events return. Three Friday evening rides are currently scheduled: August 27, September 10 and September 24.

Nature at night is a totally different experience. These special-access activities offer mountain bikers a chance to explore the preserve by moonlight. And bike light. Safety equipment, including bike lights, headlamps and helmets, is required. The night rides are also restricted to adults, age 18 and over.

Cyclists start from the Casa Loma Road staging area and ride their own route at their own pace. However, trails on the adjacent Calero County Park are closed to bikes, so riders must stay on the OSA preserve.

Start times move up as the days get shorter. The August 27 ride is from 6:45 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. September 10 runs from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. and September 24 starts at 6 p.m. and concludes at 10 p.m.

There is no water on the preserve so participants are reminded to bring their own. Parking for the event will be limited to the first 50 cars.

Two Tired
    Did the dates change after your first posting? It was 8/27, 9/9 and 9/27 and now (#6) is 8/27, 9/10 and 9/24. Are these replacement or additional dates to cover both moon phases and Friday nights?
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine
    Did the dates change after your first posting? It was 8/27, 9/9 and 9/27 and now (#6) is 8/27, 9/10 and 9/24. Are these replacement or additional dates to cover both moon phases and Friday nights?

My schedule says “September 10th" this is what happens when you assume. I will check but I won’t know for sure until next week.DT

Puro Vida!
    Hi...are these here in the Santa Clara?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine

Thanks for bring that up. These are the dates and times, hope to see you all there. DT

The August 27 ride is from 6:45 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. September 10 runs from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. and September 24 starts at 6 p.m. and concludes at 10 p.m.

my body breaks the falls

Reminder

Friday night is the first of these rides. The weather will be cooler and we should really take advantage of the OSA's willingness to support the MTB community like this.

As usual, I have space available for a car pool from south Fremont. PM for details.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Puro Vida!
    What kind of riding/trails? Is it flat or climbs and downhills? Single trail or fire roads? Sorry never been and hoping to make it friday night. Not sure what to expect other than its going to be dark!

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34
    What kind of riding/trails? Is it flat or climbs and downhills? Single trail or fire roads? Sorry never been and hoping to make it friday night. Not sure what to expect other than its going to be dark!
    All fire roads, no singletrack. Bring your climbing legs/lungs 'cause there is a bunch. Rather spectacular view from the top then bomb down Catamount. Climb back over the hill and enjoy a cold one. A well organized ride and a fun way to beat the heat.

What if a park puts on a party and nobody shows up? Do you think EBRPD would ever allow something like this? Hah, not in my lifetime!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34
    I haven't been this year, but last fall the trails were double-track - a nice improvement over when they were first cut. It is not flat, but isn't a killer either. Here is a GPS track from 9-11 of last year:

www.noonmeasureww.org

TANSTAAFL
    last bump before the night......ride.......

I am heading out early, around 6;30-6:45 start...
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

middle ring single track
    Hey!!! That was fun---over too fast though, got back to the parking lot before the moon had come up. I should have stopped and taken some pictures but my riding buddies were complaining about being cold so we kept moving. Next time, I'll try some time lapse photos if I can get set up.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Two Tired
    It was a good ride. We started a bit after sunset and had a great time. The moon was red and low in the sky. I didn't think it was cold even when we got back at about 10:00 and I was wearing shorts and a jersey.

The OSA staff did a great job again. Checked us in, let us ride and checked us out. Well done!
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

my body breaks the falls
    It was a great night and it looks like 25 people made it out. That was good to see!

Already looking forward to the next one.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Aussie Bob

The eyes !!!!

Yes it was a great night ride but the glowing yellow eyes in the trees were creeping me out a little lol and I had a close incounter with a little skunk was in the middle of the trail had to skid to stop or get sprayed , thanks SCOP these night rides rock

mtbr member
    I had an excellent time last night. Thanks to the SCCOSA staff for making these rides possible. The moon rising over the ridge on the way back, about 9:15 p.m., was a lovely haunted-looking yellow-orange. I felt like I was immersed in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."

mtbr member
    Also, the chorus of the crickets or whatever they were was incredibly soothing and therapeutic.

TANSTAAFL
    Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke
    I had an excellent time last night. Thanks to the SCCOSA staff for making these rides possible.
    Ditto,

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just like our neighbors to the north, Cañad(a)- We faced freezing cold conditions and camera wielding paparazzi. Please ask before taking pictures- U, u, Canadian soul catchers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nice licence plate!
    Last edited by notflippant; 09-05-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0