RattleSnakes?- Mtbr.com

Thread: RattleSnakes?

Tso
    mtbr member
    May 2012

RattleSnakes?

What do you guys do when you see or hear rattle snakes or if you get bitten by one. Sometime you're going fast down a singletrac and they're laying across the whole thing! Also how often do you spot them / photos!

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    99% chance you don't get bitten if you stay in your saddle...

aka baycat
    More concern for the mountain lions. What with five people a year getting eaten while riding mountain bikes. Or was that poison oak?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    More concern for the mountain lions. What with five people a year getting eaten while riding mountain bikes. Or was that poison oak?

Mountain lions eat poison oak?
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Poison oak eats mountain lions.

mtbr member
    I just carry a honey badger with me when I ride. When I see a snake, I throw the honey badger at it. Badger eats the snake and no problems for me.
    I strap the badger on right next to my mountain lion knife.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Domestic DOGS kill more people per year by far (about 300).... Mountain Lions and poison snakes are just barely a blip on the screen (about 6 deaths per year from snakes and barely one death a year in all US from mountain lions...)

I just bunny hop them! (snakes).... Mountain lions I stop and take a picture :-)
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    +1 on bunny hoppin the snakes!

I did see a baby mountain lion today in auburn. Looked like a newborn off of old connector. Did NOT see the mother. Scary as hell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Snakes, Shoot first, skin second, start fire third, cook to medium well and enjoy the meal. It may be your last if you let the snake bite first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    +1 on bunny hoppin the snakes!

I did see a baby mountain lion today in auburn. Looked like a newborn off of old connector. Did NOT see the mother. Scary as hell.
    Scary. I had a bear cross Clementine 20 feet in front of me on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just bunnyhop them. They're all over the place at STCP, and I average 5-8 bunnyhop'able snake situations a year. No biggie.

The one time I didn't see one in time I hit the brakes, skidded, and the thing coiled up and struck. Didn't get me, but still... just relax and get around or over them.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011

I shoo'd this one of Stagecoach Trail (about 20 yard uphill from the picnic table) yesterday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and don't forget to take a picture!

mtbr member
    I just run them over, didn't they read the sign.

mtbr member

I carry...

A rattlesnake knife
    :p

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    My 12 year old suggested that he could take off his front wheel and beat the snake with it. LOL.

It would almost be worth it if I could get it on camera, but my wife would certainly kill me.

mtbr member
    Stick to hold them down and a rock to the head. Don't leave them on the trail someone riding after you might get bit.

Sent from my MiPhone !

General Motor(less)head
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I've always wondered whether what appear to be young mountain lions are actually adult bobcats? I've seen a couple like that and never got a good enough look to really determine. I guess the tail length would give it away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Show a little respect for the wildlife. There is no reason to kill a snake. They just wish to be left alone, and sometimes our paths meet. They are an important part of the ecosystem that we love. I don't understand the need to kill wildlife.

mtbr member

Kennedy today

Don't jump on this big 10 inch. RattleSnakes?-0531121152.jpg
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by T Woo View Post
    Show a little respect for the wildlife. There is no reason to kill a snake. They just wish to be left alone, and sometimes our paths meet. They are an important part of the ecosystem that we love. I don't understand the need to kill wildlife.
    I wouldn't kill them just for fun. But when they're in an area where they are a potential danger its another story. When I've been working on drilling rigs in areas where there were rattlers I used to kill them because my crew could not spare the attention from all the other dangerous things going on to watch as well as they should. Also, its something to consider on a trail like Stagecoach where there are plenty of kids, and assorted clueless sorts that dont have the ability to spot dangers like this automatically.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just jump em. The snakes you really need to watch out for are the two legged kind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    I wouldn't kill them just for fun. But when they're in an area where they are a potential danger its another story. When I've been working on drilling rigs in areas where there were rattlers I used to kill them because my crew could not spare the attention from all the other dangerous things going on to watch as well as they should. Also, its something to consider on a trail like Stagecoach where there are plenty of kids, and assorted clueless sorts that dont have the ability to spot dangers like this automatically.
    Maybe no definitive right or wrong answer? People with dogs and kids in the mountains are mixed on what to do about them also. Live and let live for the most part I say.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Dude they are rattlesnake they rattle when you get close there is really no excuse to get bitt'en by one unless you fall or your asking for it as for the kids its the parents duty to teach their children outdoor safety and for the clueless sorts can you say Darwinism.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    X2 No need to kill them for the sake of killing...

Tso
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I had to run one over but how high up can they strike if you lift up your legs

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    See them alot here on the sierras. Its the little ones you need be careful with. They can't control venom the same and are worse. Usually just hop or pass by the biggies and they move along.

mtbr member
    So do I! Really put down the environmental wacko mantra, most are talking in jest. Don’t kill them for fun but I’m not crashing to avoid them either. I’ve killed a few in my backyard….but the King snake we have can stay, in fact I feed and water it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek Poacher View Post
    Dude they are rattlesnake they rattle when you get close there is really no excuse to get bitt'en by one unless you fall or your asking for it as for the kids its the parents duty to teach their children outdoor safety and for the clueless sorts can you say Darwinism.
    That s a complete misconception that they all rattle before they strike, had one in my wood pile that struck w/o warning and wasn’t even bothering it since I didn’t know it was even there. Darwinism works the other way. Ever taking a group of kids on a trail? if you have kids then they always listen without question…..lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tso View Post
    I had to run one over but how high up can they strike if you lift up your legs
    As a rule of thumb, rattlesnakes can, at best, strike a distance of two-thirds their total body length.

mtbr member
    Don't kill one on the trail then find out someone got bit that road the trail behind you and see how you feel. If they are on a public trail that probably means there are plenty of them out there taking one out isn't going to hurt their ecosystem.

Sent from my MiPhone !

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Poacher View Post

I specifically tried to get that one in the picture to rattle so that my son could learn what it sounds like, but I could not get him to do it. I'm guessing their readiness to rattle has something to do with the temperature. That guy appeared to be hanging on the trail to soak up some of the remaining heat on the rocks as the sun was getting low, and was a little sluggish. Every time I've heard one really go to town with the rattling it seems like its been warmer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
    See them alot here on the sierras. Its the little ones you need be careful with. They can't control venom the same and are worse.
    Not true. That was debunked years ago. I remember learning that as a kid in Scouts, but check recent wilderness medical textbooks like the WMI Wilderness First Responder text. They've changed.

Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    So do I! Really put down the environmental wacko mantra, most are talking in jest. Don’t kill them for fun but I’m not crashing to avoid them either. I’ve killed a few in my backyard….but the King snake we have can stay, in fact I feed and water it regularly.

That s a complete misconception that they all rattle before they strike, had one in my wood pile that struck w/o warning and wasn’t even bothering it since I didn’t know it was even there. Darwinism works the other way. Ever taking a group of kids on a trail? if you have kids then they always listen without question…..lol
    I'm with this. If there's one on the trail, I'll try to shoo it off so nobody gets bit. I'd also try to avoid it, but I'd sooner run over one than crash off the trail or fall within striking distance. But if there was one around my condo (like the one somebody killed two weeks ago), it'd be dead. Too many children and dogs around. Depends on the situation. I wouldn't kill one unless I really had to, but I wouldn't hesitate if necessary.

And I agree on the rattling too... I was riding into Morgan Territory (SE of Diablo) with a buddy and there was one on the trail. Rode right by it and only realized what it was until I was mostly by. Stopped ahead and went back to try to get it to move. It was still sprawled across the trail even after I rode within a foot or two. Lightly rolled a fist-sized rock toward it. The rock rolled up and touched the body. No reaction. And then like five seconds later it coiled into striking posture and started rattling like crazy. So, yeah, could have gotten bitten before it started rattling and *was* in striking distance without rattling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

rattlesakes

I agree that rattlesnakes are important to the whole ecosystem. They just don't rank as high as a human life. Mosquitoes are important as well. But I kill mosquitoes when they get near me as well. I wouldn't go out of my way to kill a snake but you should keep the area safe for yourself and others. We only use a small percentage of the wilderness. They get the rest to themselves.

mtbr member
    Where does this irrational fear of snakes in our society come from? Is it from TV and movies such as Anaconda, Indiana Jones, or even Snakes On a Plane? Maybe the derivation is biblical in nature (A snake being the corrupter of Eve) Maybe it's because they don't have arms or legs like the other "traditional" animals. Whatever the reason, this irrational fear is just that. Irrational. Less than one person a year dies from rattlesnake bites. Think about that for a moment.

How many people die each year from automobiles? Alcohol? Bee stings? Autoerotic asphyxiation? A lot more than that, yet you have no problems driving home from work, having a beer, coating yourself in honey, and wrapping a bag around your head while you get your rocks off. So why are rattlesnakes higher on your list of worries than accidentally falling into an active volcano? Think about that too.

Yes, rattlesnakes are dangerous and should not be taken lightly, but to arbitrarily kill these creatures for no other reason than an irrational fear is a great travesty. They are merely living in their natural habitat (one that we encroach on more and more as time goes by). If anything, it is YOU who doesn't belong there so show some respect when you're on their turf.

Don't be a hero and try to move the thing off the trail. Only two things can come of that.
    1.You open yourself up for the chance to get bitten.
    2. You waste 2 minutes of the snakes day when he moves back onto the trail after you leave.

And you certainly shouldn't try to kill the thing. That's just exponentially increasing your chance of getting bitten while simultaneously damaging the ecosystem you're already exploiting for your own selfish benefit.

Please have the decency to respect nature and all it's creatures so that it will always be here for us to enjoy. If you treat the snakes with caution and respect then they will do the same to you and no one will be bitten. Be an idiot and mess with the snake and I won't feel bad when I read about your amputation in the paper. Think about how fun mountain biking will be with one leg.
    Last edited by Beancrew49; 06-02-2012 at 12:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Not everyone riding bikes can bunny hop, especially when they freak out seeing a rattler for the first time.

mtbr member
    Bunny hop this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RattleSnakes?-snake-pit.jpg  

功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    Bunny hop this:
    Nope. I can't bunny hop that ditch full of rattlers. Can I video you killing off all of those rattlers with a stick? It will make a great YouTube video.

Edit: That was sarcasm as I think he would meet Darwin.
    Last edited by KevXR; 06-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Luckily, I don't ride in Rattlesnake country. The type of snake you have to watch out for and a true danger is the Cornback. Once you have been hit, you first smell something really foul and then realize your tires have a brown goo stuck between the tread that not even a mud tire will shed.

As for lions and bears, the majority of mtb's who live in the city are in more danger getting up in the morning and just going to work. Blame the hysteria on the media, lame gov't control and the spread of man into their domain. If you come across either, keep a cool head and enjoy the experience.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Beancrew49 View Post
    Where does this irrational fear of snakes in our society come from? Is it from TV and movies such as Anaconda, Indiana Jones, or even Snakes On a Plane? Maybe the derivation is biblical in nature (A snake being the corrupter of Eve) Maybe it's because they don't have arms or legs like the other "traditional" animals. Whatever the reason, this irrational fear is just that. Irrational. Less than one person a year dies from rattlesnake bites. Think about that for a moment.

How many people die each year from automobiles? Alcohol? Bee stings? Autoerotic asphyxiation? A lot more than that, yet you have no problems driving home from work, having a beer, coating yourself in honey, and wrapping a bag around your head while you get your rocks off. So why are rattlesnakes higher on your list of worries than accidentally falling into an active volcano? Think about that too.

Yes, rattlesnakes are dangerous and should not be taken lightly, but to arbitrarily kill these creatures for no other reason than an irrational fear is a great travesty. They are merely living in their natural habitat (one that we encroach on more and more as time goes by). If anything, it is YOU who doesn't belong there so show some respect when you're on their turf.

Don't be a hero and try to move the thing off the trail. Only two things can come of that.
    1.You open yourself up for the chance to get bitten.
    2. You waste 2 minutes of the snakes day when he moves back onto the trail after you leave.

And you certainly shouldn't try to kill the thing. That's just exponentially increasing your chance of getting bitten while simultaneously damaging the ecosystem you're already exploiting for your own selfish benefit.

Please have the decency to respect nature and all it's creatures so that it will always be here for us to enjoy. If you treat the snakes with caution and respect then they will do the same to you and no one will be bitten. Be an idiot and mess with the snake and I won't feel bad when I read about your amputation in the paper. Think about how fun mountain biking will be with one leg.
    Thumbs up brother man!

fc

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I just carry a honey badger with me when I ride. When I see a snake, I throw the honey badger at it. Badger eats the snake and no problems for me.
    I strap the badger on right next to my mountain lion knife.
    Damn, Mountain Lion Knife reference, and it says I must spread some 'rep' around before taggin' Brewtality again. Shame

Oh, yeah and snake something or other and poison oak eating mountain ticks...and such

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Couple things.

1. If you just simply lift your leg on the side the snake is one you will be fine. Probably fine even if you don't.

2. Snakes can only strike at you if coiled...so if it isn't coiled just roll on by.

3. Baby snakes do NOT inject more venom. If you get bit by a baby snake chances are you will have some swelling and pain but nothing more. You get bit by a 5 foot diamond back and you are going to have a surgeon filet open your arm/leg due to compartment surgeon and things might be a lot worse.

4. To answer the question the original poster asked...if you get bit stay calm and go to the hospital. I will leave it up to you about calling an ambulance or not. 1/3 of all bites are dry bites where little to no venom is injected. Hope that you have one of those. The anti venom cost a fortune...I saw one girl who got bit in the little toe...and with was something like 23k for the anti venom (that might have per vial..usually get 4-5 vials). I remember thinking if it had been me I would have asked that my toe be cut off and I get half the money in cash.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    Nope. I can't bunny hop that ditch full of rattlers. Can I video you killing off all of those rattlers with a stick? It will make a great YouTube video.
    Why would you kill them?

Would you rather have rodents EVERYWHERE? Snakes are a HUGE reason rodents don't completely overpopulate areas. (Maybe snakes should be introduced to the New York sewer system?.... )

Snakes don't want anything to do with humans... just ignore them and they will ignore you.... just don't accidentally step on them an you won't have a problem.
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have had to deal with too many rattlesnakes in my time, let nature take its course and play your part in the ecosystem KILL THEM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    Why would you kill them?

Would you rather have rodents EVERYWHERE? Snakes are a HUGE reason rodents don't completely overpopulate areas. (Maybe snakes should be introduced to the New York sewer system?.... )

Snakes don't want anything to do with humans... just ignore them and they will ignore you.... just don't accidentally step on them an you won't have a problem.
    re: Bunny hopping over that ditch filled with rattle snakes. (See photo above)
    Sorry that was SARCASM as I think the guy would be dead jumping into that ditch filled with rattlesnakes and trying to kill the snakes with a stick. But his death would have made a good Youtube video. (Is there a Darwin section?)

I previously posted that rattlers should be left alone, if they are not in an area that poses an imminent danger to children or pets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Cat View Post
    I have had to deal with too many rattlesnakes in my time, let nature take its course and play your part in the ecosystem KILL THEM.
    I have been around and delt with/lived around rattlesnakes my whole life, ranching, mountain biking, hiking, trail running and even some horseback riding. I USED to kill them (when I was young).... but then I learned I did not need to.

I find that people who what to kill rattle snakes are typically afraid of them and think it will make them a hero if they do. If you are afraid of it and don't understand it the "kill it" attitude is poor. Sometimes it's a macho thing.

Look at the national stats: Over 300 people a year DIE from dog attacks, 6 people a year from snakes. Why not KILL every dog that rattles at you (growls)??! You would be saving a lot of HUMANS.

You are more of a hero to everyone if you just shoo it off the trail with a stick.

Here is a video of an encounter with a couple snakes (rattlesnake is at :35)

Brian
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    hard to see the dark mass. Friend snapped this today, after it nearly got me. Scared the crap outta me!

Another friend rode right by it, thinking it was my I-9 hub. Ha.

mtbr member

Feral Roadie
    I specifically tried to get that one in the picture to rattle so that my son could learn what it sounds like, but I could not get him to do it.
    Evolution in Action: Rattlesnakes that live near humans and rattle get killed. We are selectively breeding rattlesnakes NOT to warn us.

Rattlesnakes evolved rattles to warn off bigger animals specifically so they wouldn't have to bite them and risk injury.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Living in Utah I have 2 friends who have been bitten by Rattlesnakes (confirmed). One guy, Ron was bitten in Millcreek Pipeline area and in the hospital in less than half an hour. He went through quite a long recovery for his bitten leg. It got very painful very quickly (I think he said 10-15 mins he was doubled over in pain, puking?) The other guy hardly suffered and a bit of swelling that went down quickly, no hospital available within days should this chap have been worse off.
    Anyway, the likelihood of getting bit is a function of where you ride in addition to many other variables. Where I ride, rattlers are fairly common. I see at least 5 or 6 per year on trails close to Salt Lake City and these trails are seeing more and more people so it's good to know what to do.
    A good video on the way to deal with snakebite is presented by NOLS at this link:
    NOLS MythCrushers Episode 2: North American Snake Bites - YouTube
    Even a couple of gory photo's to whet your whistle.
    If it doesn't include a hike a bike, it isn't a ride.

mtbr member
    I think its illegal to kill them in most parks and state or government property. But the Rattler has basically no protection on private property and can be dispatched any time without permits etc. Follow the law and this survey is over ?

Members who have read this thread: 0