Rangers ticketing at ECDM / Skeggs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rangers ticketing at ECDM / Skeggs

Two rangers who were hiding behind a tree on Sierra Morena (b/w CM02 and CM03) jumped out with Radar Gun. They wrote me up for going 26mph and jumping off of a forbidden feature (eyebrow) off of the trail. They asked that I pass along that they are taking speed/safety very seriously, and that we need to slow down and stay on the trails.

mtbr member
    Nothing new here. They have been up there with radar guns ever since I started riding about 5 years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Appreciate the heads-up. I was thinking of riding Skeggs this morning, but stayed home and did work instead. I've never heard of tickets for riding on the side of an existing trail. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Neela View Post
    Two rangers who were hiding behind a tree on Sierra Morena (b/w CM02 and CM03) jumped out with Radar Gun. They wrote me up for going 26mph and jumping off of a forbidden feature (eyebrow) off of the trail. They asked that I pass along that they are taking speed/safety very seriously, and that we need to slow down and stay on the trails.

Hella Olde
    Rangers: "don't ride here" FU, I won't ever again.

Moderator Moderator
    They do it for a couple days to make a statement. Nothing to worry about.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    So they actually wrote you a ticket huh? I know quite a few who got warnings at Skeggs lately. That seems to be the epicenter of enforcement these days.

$400+ unfortunately. Doesn't affect license/insurance or anything of the sort.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Rangers: "don't ride here" FU, I won't ever again.
    That's my approach, too. If I'm going to have to worry about rangers, I'm at least going to ride some decent trails--that don't have herds of hikers.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    They do it for a couple days to make a statement. Nothing to worry about.
    That place isn't worth it......can't even sprack off a root or whatnot?

Moderator Moderator
    That place isn't worth it......can't even sprack off a root or whatnot?
    Well, I ride there at lunch time a few days a week. I'll be spracking off roots and doing whatnot! On the weekdays at lunch, there's not a soul there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They put a couple of those "stay on trails" signs or whatnot on the brow jumps on SM, but they seem to have disappeared.

On the plus side, the new Oljon extension is much better than 35/Bear Gulch Rd. I'm betting they'll be hanging out on the bottom of Bear Gulch soon, radar gun in hand.

Hella Olde
    Well, I ride there at lunch time a few days a week. I'll be spracking off roots and doing whatnot! On the weekdays at lunch, there's not a soul there.

That's cool - sprack on! I barely have time to walk to the deli on a 30min lunch. I'm finding myself having less and less tolerance for our local style of 'multi-use' trail systems. Other, more progressive land-managers are adopting trail-schemes with DH-only trails that are bike-only. This greatly reduces unexpected interactions and makes for a better experience for all users.

I probably should have said directional rather than 'DH' but most times the direction in down. United, we climb.

mtbr member
    I got radared and stopped in that same spot on Sunday, I got off with a warning though. I rode the brow but he only got me going 20, maybe that made a difference. As the ranger was man-splaining that the brow is a non-designated trail and it causes erosion, I thought, "does it cause as much erosion as widening trails to 4 feet with heavy equipment and semi-paving them with crushed gravel?" But I just kept my mouth shut.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Are brow jumps the same as hip jumps? I hate it when I use outdated terms and it sounds like I'm speaking kook-Latin.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Are brow jumps the same as hip jumps? I hate it when I use outdated terms and it sounds like I'm speaking kook-Latin.
    bro jumps?
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Bromps

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I was initially annoyed that a lot of skeggs trails closed for maintenance but then I realized that the places I started riding instead of there were better anyways, I mean a lot of people (depending on what part of the bay you are from) can just go ride at Demo instead and get better trails with no speed limits with a similar view and not much change in/ or even shorter commute time. I am a "follow the rules" guy for sure but after hearing about people getting busted for going 17 in 15 zone before at skeggs it seems a bit overkill.

I can see if there are hikers everywhere and the park is busy but I've never ridden anywhere that busy there that made the 15mph speed limit necessary.

Paper or plastic?
    Midpen sucks. Nothing new

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    How can you truly enforce a speed limit on a vehicle that does not come equipped with a speedometer?
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If I could move to Los Gatos, I would probably never ride Skeggs again. But currently I live 30 minutes from Skeggs and 60 minutes from Demo/SC, so the best place to ride within 30 minutes drive for me is Skeggs. 30 minutes for Waterdog, but it isn't quite worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by agreenbike View Post
    I was initially annoyed that a lot of skeggs trails closed for maintenance but then I realized that the places I started riding instead of there were better anyways, I mean a lot of people (depending on what part of the bay you are from) can just go ride at Demo instead and get better trails with no speed limits with a similar view and not much change in/ or even shorter commute time. I am a "follow the rules" guy for sure but after hearing about people getting busted for going 17 in 15 zone before at skeggs it seems a bit overkill.

I can see if there are hikers everywhere and the park is busy but I've never ridden anywhere that busy there that made the 15mph speed limit necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stopped at the same location on Sunday for speeding and jumping, was lucky to get away with a warning. I’m not sure what 15mph actually feels like on dirt so I guess eventually I’m just going to have to pay up or suck it up and add 2hrs of drive time to my ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    How can you truly enforce a speed limit on a vehicle that does not come equipped with a speedometer?
    Right? I gotta assume this has been challenged/asked in court, no?
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Moderator Moderator
    Exactly, how is it possible to get a DUI when I obviously don’t have a breathalyzer in my car? How am I supposed to know I'm drunk? I don't feel drunk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Exactly, how is it possible to get a DUI when I obviously don’t have a breathalyzer in my car? How am I supposed to know I'm drunk? I don't feel drunk.
    Touché!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Neela View Post
    You should really find somewhere else to ride...Skeggs sucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Worst analogy... ever. As soon as you take a drink and drive you know you're assuming a risk. But good job taking the side of Midpenis--the only park system that enforces a speed limit on bikes. If everybody that rides there would just lay down, show your belly, and pee yourself a little every time you see a ranger we'd have no problems.

Moderator Moderator
    Worst analogy... ever. As soon as you take a drink and drive you know you're assuming a risk. But good job taking the side of Midpenis--the only park system that enforces a speed limit on bikes. If everybody that rides there would just lay down, show your belly, and pee yourself a little every time you see a ranger we'd have no problems.
    Would you like some cheese with your whine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Callender is an analogy pundit. He negative-repped me last month with the accompanying comment "You are really bad at analogies."

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Sorry about that, honest mistake. I was trying to give you positive rep for it because it made me laugh: I've heard "You've got to try it, it will change your mind." Most people who try heroin love it. ~ Dop

Is that the best you can do?! You deserve to ride crappy trails. You make me miss Griz!

Edit- It's not about being interesting (or else you wouldn't be here); it's about having endurance. I've outlasted better mods than you. You're not interesting or humorous, your ride reports are tedious, your other posts are click-bait, and you seem to struggle with acting "normal". Thank you, next!
    Last edited by Callender; 10-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Moderator Moderator

Rangers ticketing at ECDM / Skeggs

Is that the best you can do?!
    No, but that’s all I have time for, you’re not that interesting.

Congratulations on your great bicycle forum internet victories, you deserve them.
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 10-01-2019 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Was there last week and saw a ranger on Oljon extension with a radar gun in hand. I was climbing so no big deal. I asked him “Did you catch anyone”? He said no. I said “awwweeee to bad.” Jerks with nothing better to do

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    Was there last week and saw a ranger on Oljon extension with a radar gun in hand. I was climbing so no big deal. I asked him “Did you catch anyone”? He said no. I said “awwweeee to bad.” Jerks with nothing better to do
    “Did you give anyone a $400 ticket yet???”

That’s my line.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    This really is a terrible analogy though.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Moderator Moderator
    It is actually just a joke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yes; it deserved to be mocked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    “Did you give anyone a $400 ticket yet???”

That’s my line.
    When they wrote me up, I asked how much is the ticket? They told me they are unsure of the ticket prices because they don't set the prices, but it will be probably around $100 bucks. Lol. Then I got the ticket and it was $300+ and that was a few years ago. Ouch.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    When they wrote me up, I asked how much is the ticket? They told me they are unsure of the ticket prices because they don't set the prices, but it will be probably around $100 bucks. Lol. Then I got the ticket and it was $300+ and that was a few years ago. Ouch.
    The ticket is probably $100 but court fees are another $200

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Trail Gnome
    ^ Sorry about that, honest mistake. I was trying to give you positive rep for it because it made me laugh: I've heard "You've got to try it, it will change your mind." Most people who try heroin love it. ~ Dop

Is that the best you can do?! You deserve to ride crappy trails. You make me miss Griz!

Edit- It's not about being interesting (or else you wouldn't be here); it's about having endurance. I've outlasted better mods than you. You're not interesting or humorous, your ride reports are tedious, your other posts are click-bait, and you seem to struggle with acting "normal". Thank you, next!
    Do you really miss me I bet if we met, did a ride and had a few beers...we still wouldn’t get along

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Nothing new here. They have been up there with radar guns ever since I started riding about 5 years ago.
    25 years ago ECDM was wild AF and we used underground trail maps made by FractalBoy here on MTBR. Of course we had horrible hardtails with 2" travel forks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    25 years ago ECDM was wild AF and we used underground trail maps made by FractalBoy here on MTBR. Of course we had horrible hardtails with 2" travel forks.
    I think I still have one of those maps. ............ somewhere.. I remember seeing it recently. I should have scanned it and tried to follow it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Moderator Moderator
    Pipeline to 914....37.40252,-122.33276 (where that old Porsche used to be). I came to the Bay Area just about the time they moved the Porsche and started tearing up the trails. I remember thinking at the time that Skeggs reminded me of a mini Pisgah.