Rangers with radar on Kennedy FR- Mtbr.com
    Let's ride

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Rangers with radar on Kennedy FR

On my way up today at 7:30pm, some poor suck on a Spec Enduro? looked like he was just written up for speeding. The rangers were about 1mi from the bottom gate.

I hadn't seen rangers with radar on that trail before. It seems like most of the southbay faster descents are being radared. I'm all for being in controlled and not endangering others while riding, but this is getting a little out of hand. I happen to know a 25mph ticket is about $186.

Slowest Rider

Yep, that's Los Gatos

I've never seen so many radar toting rangers as in Los Gatos.

Thanks for the heads up. I often come down from El Sombroso that way, but have yet to see rangers on Kennedy as they usually spend their time over your way at St. Josephs.

Uh..., doesn't sunset come around 7:40? Boy you're fast to get up Kennedy and back in 10 minutes. OK, even another 20 minutes to dark is still real fast.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Let's ride
    I'm anything but fast. Some old ladies were walking past me on the way up asking, 'are you ok son?'

I think you're right Larry. It must have been more like 7pm. it took me 45min to get up and i got home about 8:10pm

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    On my way up today at 7:30pm, some poor suck on a Spec Enduro? looked like he was just written up for speeding. The rangers were about 1mi from the bottom gate.

I hadn't seen rangers with radar on that trail before. It seems like most of the southbay faster descents are being radared. I'm all for being in controlled and not endangering others while riding, but this is getting a little out of hand. I happen to know a 25mph ticket is about $186.
    Un-believable! I was actually going to head out there today and bomb down on the freeride bike.

It's raining today. I got oak on my calves from the Wilder ride. Demo and Wilder are a mess. Tahoe/Downy is not going to be available til the fall. Poison oak, hay fever.....

YOU KNOW IT'S HARD OUT THERE FOR A PIMP!!

francois
    Last edited by fc; 04-14-2006 at 10:37 AM.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Un-believable! I was acutally going to head out there today and bomb down on the freeride bike.

It's raining today. I got oak on my calves from the Wilder ride. Demo and Wilder are a mess. Tahoe/Downy is not going to be available til the fall. Poison oak, hay fever.....

YOU KNOW IT'S HARD OUT THERE FOR A PIMP!!

francois

Throw that new squishy bike on top of the Mini and head
    for SLO or Santa Barbara Mr Pimp.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Throw that new squishy bike on top of the Mini and head
    for SLO or Santa Barbara Mr Pimp.

Sean
    Mr. Pimp and Mrs. Bike Whore. Sounds like a good match to me.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

VRC Illuminati
    Yeah, most often they're on the St Joe's side, which makes sense with so many hikers.

But I guess with all the wet, Kenney is a big default place to ride. At least they weren't radaring up any further...there are some fast sections. Even the slowest of riders can double the speedlimit of 15mph.

We'll hit nearly 50mph going down dogmeat though. :|

There's also another post about overgrown/limekin having a wash out FYI.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Let's ride
    That has to be tough when bike companies ask you to take bikes home for them and ride it. I don't know how you handle all that pressure fc. I think i would cave under such pressure.

That FR ride can also bomb down the backside of Kennedy, no?

btw, i'm playing hookie today, so if you're up for a ride in the afternoon, call or email me.

banned

if you know your

gonna get a ticket, then I like to pretend the Rangers scared me, lose control and slide into them, taking down the Ranger like a bowling pin....yell that they were obstructing the trail, yell for a lawyer, and yell that they were negligent, that they casued you to loose focus, you wouldn't have crashed into them if they weren't there......They caused your wheels to go out of true, a couple knobbies came off the tires, the discs are now bent, mental anguish, nightmares, afraid of the dark, can't go out in public anymore, life is ruined and IT IS ALL THE RANGERS FAULT!!!!

Oh, wait, that was just a dream.....

Rangers should be doing other things, not setting speed traps for trail users....Like getting rid of the P. OAk along the trails......OR, opening more singletrack to bikers....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Maybe they thought..

Quote Originally Posted by rensho

there was pre easter beer run like Thanksgiving.

PULL
    Does this ticket go on your driving record?

I remember 10 years ago, logging 45 mph down that last stretch, when there was no one ever on it. Must be the new health fad these days.

Let's ride
    i believe it does not, but if you don't pay, they put a warrant out for your arrest, so that might be bad.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz

I remember 10 years ago, logging 45 mph down that last stretch, when there was no one ever on it. Must be the new health fad these days.

I wondered that myself. What if you were a 13 year old speeding on your bike?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    The answer is no!

If you get a traffic violation ticket on your bike (roads) it doesn't go on your driving record either. Amen to that!

francois

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    The answer is no!

If you get a traffic violation ticket on your bike (roads) it doesn't go on your driving record either. Amen to that!

francois
    I was just wondering about that the other day. Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking this up.

Dave

Snowjnky McDreamy

Yes it does only if you have class A or B license. DOT new rules. I took a class a few months ago. dumb but true
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

PULL
    If it did go on your record, just picture your car insurance going up. Yuck!

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    I really don't understand this non-sense of setting a "speedlimit" on cycling, until speedometers (computers) become standard equipment, how the hell is it going to be justified. the speedlimit should be common sense - abeit there are a few of us who lack it, but hey, if everyone had common sense then we wouldn't need lawyers.

mtbr member
    Got a ticket up there 3 years ago bombing down from the top of Kennedy towards Lexington at 44 mph. Think it cost me $125 back then and it did not go on my drivers record. A buddy of mine took time to go to court and it got reduced to something like $25, so if your broke and have the time to fight it, might be worth it.

Flyin Canine
    It does not go on your driving record. It is not a "moving violation" it is an "infraction" just like a parking ticket cept a lot more expensive. Mine cost me $180 for 26mph. Friggin Bullsh1t. I tried to fight in court based on power lines affecting the radar gun and the judge ignored existing case law and made me pay anyway. What a scam.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    It does not go on your driving record. It is not a "moving violation" it is an "infraction" just like a parking ticket cept a lot more expensive. Mine cost me $180 for 26mph. Friggin Bullsh1t. I tried to fight in court based on power lines affecting the radar gun and the judge ignored existing case law and made me pay anyway. What a scam.
    Let me be MORE clear.
    Riding on a trail with a speed limit i.e. Mid Pen’s 15 mph limit, is subject to a infraction. Mid Pen has the right to make its “Land Use Regulations” http://www.openspace.org/activities/..._8sept2004.pdf
    DMV is not involved because the preserves are not under the jurisdiction of DMV’s Vehicle Code. But any infraction of the Land Use Regulations will result in a fine.
    But a speeding ticket given to a rider flying down Woodside Road DMV is involved.

Bikes= http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc231.htm
    Laws Applicable= http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21200.htm
    Speed= http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22348.htm

Not only speed law but most of the traffic laws that cars have to abide by, bike do also.
    And as of Sep 2005 anybody who possess a commercial class A or B licenses is not eligible for traffic school. So that would conclude that a ticket for running a red light or stop sign, drunk driving or SPEEDING on your bicycle would and will go on your record. Not only that you Commercial license would most likely suspended.
    Now hopefully this is more clear.
    Since most of us here on MTBR are mountain bikers we do not have to worry about speeding tickets affecting our record.

On another note dealing any speeding ticket on a bike within Mid Pen or any MTB trail . You should never be suckered into paying for a speeding ticket. It is very simple to dispute and win. There is no such law or regulation that requires you to know how fast you are going on a bike. You simply argue that you are not required to have a speedometer and have no way to gauge your speed. The only thing it will cost you is your time.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Members who have read this thread: 0