Rain and riding this weekend- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Rain and riding this weekend

There's no sense in starting a 'trail conditions thread' yet since it is all crappy.

Looks like tomorrow, Sunday is better than today in terms of rainfall and debris clean up.

Here's a 48 hour rainfall map below.
    CNRFC - Google Maps - Precipitation Summaries

What are you doing? I would seriously recommend staying away from trails. Take a hike or drive and watch the ocean or some creeks and waterfalls. If you have to trail ride, go to Kennedy tomorrow or Fort Ord. (san jose folks).

And that road bike you have in the garage... it is time to take it out.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain and riding this weekend-screen-shot-2012-03-17-8.14.28-am.jpg  

mtbr member
    Since I don't road ride, gonna hang with kids today. Tomorrow, heading to the local dirt I know is always good after the rain. No, I will not damage any trails or cause excessive erosion. Just gotta ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    And that CYCLOCROSS BIKE you have in the garage... it is time to take it out.

fc
    Fixed it for you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Fixed it for you!
    Like.

NedwannaB
    Hope it's good conditions for the NICA highschool races tomorrow at Ford Ord!!
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Hope it's good conditions for the NICA highschool races tomorrow at Ford Ord!!
    They have the ideal location for an mtb race tomorrow.

fc

fc
    Fixed it for you!
    That's my road bike!

Fat tired road bike will inherit the asphalt.

fc

mtbr member

Kennedy today

It takes and act of God to close Kennedy. Rain for 20-40 days and 20-40 nights !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

the half breed devil
    Fixed it for you!
    cyclocross is good idea, dion...i can see the tippy tip top of mt tam from my living room window...that's where i was going to go today...but as i type, the sky is gray and ugly.

SOOOO...

golden gate park is mostly hard pack clay and sand and it's less than three minutes from my front door...looks like another single speed day in the park...

NedwannaB

That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    It takes and act of God to close Kennedy. Rain for 20-40 days and 20-40 nights !
    Then keep that rain with you down in SoCal so us here up in NorCal can ride Tamarancho, CC and Annadel when it dries up!

(fc knows how my local geography mind works ....)

Wēk Ss
    I would seriously recommend staying away from trails. Take a hike or drive and watch the ocean or some creeks and waterfalls.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend is in town visiting me. I'll take her for a ride, but I don't know if she can keep up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    My friend is in town visiting me. I'll take her for a ride, but I don't know if she can keep up.
    In all seriousness, I dunno. Most likely hill repeats and attacks.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I think I just fell asleep thinking about it.

Maybe Ft. Ord, but we'll see.

mtbr member
    I will sacrifice part of my Saturday and Sunday by riding Kennedy so as to keep my Nor Cal friends informed on the trail conditions there.

mtbr member
    Road bike...F**k No...seen way too many road bike vs MVA in the last few days for that!!!
    Since its pouring rain in SLO today and no cccx race tomorrow, I'm gonna have to settle with riding the trainer. If we're lucky maybe MDO will still be ridable tomorrow

Play safe
    If you ain't first, your last - Ricky Bobby
    Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever - Lance Armstrong

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    cyclocross is good idea, dion...i can see the tippy tip top of mt tam from my living room window...that's where i was going to go today...but as i type, the sky is gray and ugly.

SOOOO...

golden gate park is mostly hard pack clay and sand and it's less than three minutes from my front door...looks like another single speed day in the park...
    I was wondering if GGP would be appropriate with the rain... I guess I'll head out there Sunday for some SS action myself

Natty Dread
    Did a back road stroll in between San Rafael and Fairfax on my haro cruiser and my GF's hardtail super entry level ladies' mtb that could nearly be a hybrid. Looked like a few peeps were riding Tamaracho which I can't imagine was ready for riding. We manged to hit a few hills and on the single speed it made for some decent out of the saddle climbs. Nice lunch at the new Good Earth and picked up at 22oz of the Iron Springs/Good Earth Pale Ale which I am about about to crack. Hope to be riding tomorrow on dirt some where!!!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

Does your wife know about this friend of yours?
    Dont frail and blow if youre going to Braille and Flow.

jms
    mtbr member

You have some options

Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelinChipmunk View Post
    If we're lucky maybe MDO will still be ridable tomorrow
    One day of rain and you turn in to quite the rabid little chipmunk.

You'll have some options @ MDO. Horsecamp, Ridge, Manzanita and Barranca/Islay will be better than earlier this week, the trails were a dust bowl. East Cuesta/Stagecoach will be good and a Hi Mountain/Rinconada ride would be doable too

Long range weather has it in the 70's by mid-week @ SLO.

Be brave.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Lightly salted
    Rockville was nice! Small puddles, but hardly no mud!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by stubecontinued View Post
    I was wondering if GGP would be appropriate with the rain... I guess I'll head out there Sunday for some SS action myself
    the park is fine. the eastern end is rock and clay mixed with sand, the western end is clay mixed with sand. a lot of the trails are coated with multiple layers of eucalyptus leaves, too. it only gets REALLY soggy in the park while it's actually raining. trust me, i've been living next to and riding in the park for more than twenty years.

i'd like to add that the sections of the headlands i rode in (standard bobcat/old springs/marincello/coastal loop) are in very good shape today except for the fire road leading to haypress camp. there just hasn't been enough rain this year to cause mega saturation and rutting and this probably won't happen unless we receive a record breaking amount of rain during the rest of march and part of april, which to me seems unlikely.

the park service 'dozers over most of the headlands every spring and summer, anyway.

since it's not raining or going to rain today, you'll be fine on the SS in the park on sunday!!!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Does your wife know about this friend of yours?
    shhh, it's an internet secret.

mtbr member
    shhh, it's an internet secret.
    She's hot and I am jealous you lucky b!zztard !

mtbr member
    The rain let up and I got a short (very short) ride in at a sandy spot that gets better in the rain. Rode the SS to keep the cleanup simple and no sticky sand in derailleurs.

Urban Ninja
    Gonna be at Ft. Ord tomorrow coaching our team. I'll be looking to get a ride in after our team pre-ride and inspection of the course (weather permitting) then hammer out something before our racers start. Any suggestions on trails? Anybody gonna be out there to join? Probably around 10am. Ft. Ord is one of the places I have yet to explore.

bike buster
    I saw her on PinkBike earlier. Take note of braking technique.

Watched the whole UCI MTB World Cup Women's XC today - MAN, talk about a killer battle at the end. She went for the gnarly line coming up to the finish, but held back a little too much to take the win and got passed on the rock garden. I wish local XC races were that good. link if you feel like watching (Race is decided at 1h40m)

mtbr member
    Just finished a wet Trail Work day today at Fort Ord recommend staying away for a couple of days after the last rains storm passes.

mtbr member
    Road bike on a road ride today in Folsom. It was nice...Can't wait until the trails dry out a bit to get back on the dirt!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubsl2 View Post
    I saw her on PinkBike earlier. Take note of braking technique.

Watched the whole UCI MTB World Cup Women's XC today - MAN, talk about a killer battle at the end. She went for the gnarly line coming up to the finish, but held back a little too much to take the win and got passed on the rock garden. I wish local XC races were that good. link if you feel like watching (Race is decided at 1h40m)
    Yep, Emily Batty is one of the few people I have seen that uses the middle finger. I tried it a few times, I find my index gets in the way, but I like my brakes closer to the grip for engagement.

I saw the race too earlier today. She was a bit too slow on the rock garden, it reminded me of myself on Rocky Ridge or Stiles, and fell back 3-4 bike lengths at the exit and more due to lost speed out of the rock garden. It was hard to watch. I like how she defended a pass attempt before that.

I can only dream of that type of endurance. The pace at the end was insane. You could tell Catherine Pendral was struggling to stay in the #3 spot in the earlier lap, and she got dumped extremely fast and was out by 20+ seconds on the last lap.

But....that sunshine, oh man I was so jealous, given our rainy conditions.

That Polish lady (Maja something), she is fierce.

I dig trails!
    Alternative to riding Sunday morning:
    World Cup DH 7AM
    Grab a cupper and watch em get it on!
    Red Bull TV Live

Or ride fireroads, or road.

Good draining areas may not have puddles but they are super saturated right now. Good time for some work

I don't care if you like ruts. The rest of us don't. Find an alternative this weekend. Or build an alternative.

P

I dig trails!
    The dirt is terrible right now...

P

(sorry for the sideways pics, 3 IPAs deep and feeling honey badger-like)

Non-public trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain and riding this weekend-image03162012170111.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-image03162012165656.jpg  

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Alternative to riding Sunday morning:
    World Cup DH 7AM
    Grab a cupper and watch em get it on!
    Red Bull TV Live
    I don't know about you, but whenever I watch these world cup races (XC or DH), I feel completely inadequate. It's hard to gauge the track from runs, but when they walked it, you get a really good feel for the course.

I also hate Red Bull, it tastes like cough medicine.

Is this thing on?
    Newton, in motorcycle racing they are called aliens. The top 1% of all racers that possess skills far beyond us mortals. So don't bother trying to measure your ability with thiers.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I got out Friday when there was a little break in the rain.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

fc
    We got 6000 feet in the hills of Milpitas. Straight into the wind!

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain and riding this weekend-img_2103.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-img_2110.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-img_2116.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-img_2125.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-img_2128.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-img_2134.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-img_2142.jpg  

mtbr member
    Riding up in Tahoe taint so bad right now, climbed Tallac 3 times today, it was fun

mtbr member
    We hit fresh pow on the way to colfax today. Climbing in snow isn't that bad...its the coming down in near whiteout conditions where you can't feel the brakes...thats the part that sucks.

We got to warm up in meadow vista though:

Where the snow wasn't bad, the ice was. These people were trapped in their car with a 20+ft drop on the other side into a creek. Fire dept was on scene in no time.

singletrack bound
    got just over two hours in @ the Fort today. It was raining on the way down and on the way back home but somehow I got lucky again.
    Twice in a couple of days. It was a little wet in spots but certainly no problem for the trails. The wind was gusting pretty good on the exposed ridgelines and the temps had to be in the upper 40's so it was cold unless you were in the sun.

snow capped Mt Toro.....

saw a few familiar faces in passing today.

Good ride with a good friend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain and riding this weekend-fort-sunday-i.png  

Last edited by Tone No Balone; 03-18-2012 at 09:27 PM.

jms
    mtbr member

It was great out at Fort Ord

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    got just over two hours in @ the Fort today. It was raining on the way down and on the way back home but somehow I got lucky again.
    Twice in a couple of days. It was a little wet in spots but certainly no problem for the trails. The wind was gusting pretty good on the exposed ridgelines and the temps had to be in the upper 40's so it was cold unless you were in the sun.

snow capped Mt Toro.....

saw a few familiar faces in passing today.

Good ride with a good friend!
    I Couldn't have asked for a better ride. Thanks for the fun Tone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain and riding this weekend-img_1315.jpg  

My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Riding up in Tahoe taint so bad right now, climbed Tallac 3 times today, it was fun
    nice, that looks like a much better day than I had. And I had a pretty damn good day!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

china camp pretty good

I rode at China camp this evening, and was surprised to find what I rode in pretty good shape.

I couldn't resist heading out seeing as it was so sunny and gorgeous. Was prepared to turn around if I encountered too much sloppyness, but it was a mix of bone dry and a few dozen puddles, many avoidable, with a few sections of tacky mixed in. A few short sections of mud, but can avoid making ruts with careful line choice. I don't have much experience with CC post-rain, but it appears it will take more time for the puddles to dry completely.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    I Couldn't have asked for a better ride. Thanks for the fun Tone.

Ahhhh.....

top "O" 49 if my memory serves me well.....

mtbr dismember

New Melones

It was cold and wet (sleet and hail) at New Melones, but the trails were great.

I dig trails!
    Great Sunday! Outside of Colfax... (dunno how you rode that redmr2_man! )

I was cutting burms into the sledding run

P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain and riding this weekend-colfax1.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-colfax2.jpg  

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

I almost weeped. Been a while...
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

fc
    I was never cold in our ride even with the gale force winds. But at the house last night, it was 1 hour + on the massage chair and layers and layers of clothing just to stay warm.

Riding with Isaias, Marco Soldano and Rox is a true eye opener. Look at Issaias stats!!
    Bike Ride Profile | Aaron's tour of the east foothills near Milpitas | Times and Records | Strava

Marco is just a new player having put in thousands of miles already this year and losing something like 18 lbs.

edt: found my garmin. Let's just say we deserved all that free beer Aaron gave us. He led the whole ride and opened up his beer cache. That's what its all about.

fc
    Last edited by fc; 03-19-2012 at 08:10 AM.

orthonormal
    Did my local out the door ride yesterday, a few puddles but no mud. I had only planned on a 45-60 minute quicky but was having so much fun it turned into 2 hours.

Coming over the hill from Monterey on 68 this morning took me by surprise. I didn't expect to see Toro covered in snow.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    The dirt is terrible right now...

P

(sorry for the sideways pics, 3 IPAs deep and feeling honey badger-like)

Non-public trail.
    Atta boy! You just earned a prop.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    We got 6000 feet in the hills of Milpitas. Straight into the wind!

fc
    I spy a Black Label. NICE!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    I spy a Black Label. NICE!
    We didn't open that. We're saving it for you.

fc

mtbr member
    A little pee might have just came out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    did my out the front door 2 hour road ride yesterday...deer hill, happy valley, the bears, pig farm hill, up reliez valley road to home...it wasn't that cold but it sure was windy, had to be careful not to get blown off the bike in a few spots. at least pig farm hill climb was with the wind...

NedwannaB

Annadel not too bad

There's no sense in starting a 'trail conditions thread' yet since it is all crappy.

Looks like tomorrow, Sunday is better than today in terms of rainfall and debris clean up.

fc
    18 mi spin. Got slight rain and some hail in upper areas. Stayed away from the vunerable trail areas, stopped to remove tree debri, drained some puddles etc. Illsanjo is full and overflow spillway running rather efficiently on way down to Spring Creek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain and riding this weekend-lake.jpg  

Rain and riding this weekend-lake-spillway.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0