GMM
    mtbr member

Rain Pant Suggestions

Well, rainy season is upon us, and I do not mind riding in the rain-- so long as I have good gear. I am looking for something that is waterproof (or darn close) but that will not be too hot for rides in 50 - 55 degree weather. My old Performance brand tights w/waterproofing held up admirably for almost 10 years, but they were very well insulated and comfortable into the high 30's, not so much into the 50's. I am ok using either waterproof tights or an outer-garment type pant. Looking for something breathable and comfortable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No worries, I will not be wrecking trails, this is for road riding.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    I gave up trying to stay dry years ago. Sweat is wet too. I use merino wool base layers for warm and comfortable soggy.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Funny you mention this as I was thinking that would be my back-up option if no one had any decent alternatives. The reviews for even the high-priced rain pants seem mixed. What would you use over the merino base?

mtbr member
    no pants

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    Funny you mention this as I was thinking that would be my back-up option if no one had any decent alternatives. The reviews for even the high-priced rain pants seem mixed. What would you use over the merino base?
    I wear a baggy padded bike short or what ever the clothing mood is for the day. My go-to wet winter trail system is thick with buckthorn brush. After snagging and ripping lyca tights or exposed merino base I now wear the snug leg stretchy type jeans.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    so so good!!! Vents, pedals, seals.

Bontrager gave it to me and it's my goto. Except i checked the price. Oh damn.

softshell so all comfort: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-pant/p/13457/Rain Pant Suggestions-13457_b_1_omw_softshell_pant.jpeg

For shorts, i use Leatt DBX 5.0 for more waterproofing. 4.0 for more stretchy material and less plastic feel.
    https://www.leatt.com/shop/bike/ridi...rts-pants.html
    IPA will save America

GMM
    mtbr member
    FC, of course you drop the $175 pant suggestion. They do look good, although ppl using them in snow suggests they might overheat in bay area. I tend to warm up quickly.

Moderator Moderator
    Feet and hands are the only thing that bother me in wet spring/fall coldish weather. I just spray water repellant on my gloves, socks, and shoes. If I'm riding in the rain a lot of times I just go shirtless in the summer, my neon white farmers tan help with visibility. In the winter I have a RaceFace Agent jacket paired with shorts with water repellant on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I sweat so much at any temp over about 25į that marino wool is best I've found. Light and stays warm when wet. Think wool socks and I pack extra gloves in a plastic bag. I use gloves with neoprene.

mtbr member
    I picked up a pair of Showers Pass Refuge pants for commuting and they're definitely rugged, high quality, and well vented. Expensive, but well designed. I'm not sure I'd wear them on a full on guhnarly single track epic, but for city commuting, and probably gravel grinding/fire road tours I think they're just the thing.

GMM
    mtbr member
    This won't be for commuting. It will be for training rides 1 - 3 hours. I do own a Showers Pass jacket, which is very waterproof, albeit a little toasty (I have to remember to use the vents). So I know Showers Pass is good quality. I have a lighter soft-shell Castelli Jacket which works in most conditions I ever encounter in the Bay Area. It would be great to have a compliment to that. Very breathable. So maybe I'll just focus on something that wicks water away rather than acts as a barrier. Merino wool I guess, but I need an outer layer I think, unless there are merino wool tights-- haven't seen them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I've worn Marmot Precip pants for commuting, tours, and gravel rides -- fairly comfortable, especially if you can cuff your driveside pant leg with one of those reflective things to the pants from rubbing on your drivetrain (I'm not sure if there is any real issue with this, but it annoys me so I always cuff my leg when I wear them, never do it otherwise).

Have you thought about embrocation? It'll make most of the moisture just slide off your legs, with that you could probably just wear a normal bib

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    My favorite was a pair of Smartwool merino bib knickers (calf length) but I shrank out of them and I think Smartwool doesnít make them any more. So now I wear a Roubaix fabric bib short with same fabric leg or knee warmers. Takes a long time to soak through and stays reasonably warm. Iíve tried a few different rain pants and itís better to just get wet.

The most important part for me is shoe covers or on the worst days my big Shimano rain shoe/boots.

I also have a silly looking helmet cover that actually works to keep my head from getting sopping wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimme friction
    Love Showers Pass pants and Caradice rain cape for commuting, but of course ridiculous for spirited rides. For those rides, I echo Fred, just agree to get wet. Merino wool and HTFU.

Formerly dvo
    I combine wool base layers, a Showers Pass jacket and a pair of Specialized Deflect shorts. A dry ass makes all the difference 2 hours into a wet ride.
    I'm the problem....

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I reign in my ride times. Summer big days may be 3-4 hours. On rain days, I may ride only 45min to an hour if I am soaked. My friend in Seattle told me this, when I asked them how they ride in winter. He said, "31 degrees and wet and drizzly on night rides, you just cant roll for 2-3 hours".

rho
    Life is strange
    Wool base layers/socks, Endura humvee 3/4 shorts, kneewarmers, Marmot Precip rain jacket and a good beanie have gotten me through many cold, wet ride around the Bay Area.

mtbr member
    I don't so much need rain protection but am looking for a comfortable pant for sessioning, and maybe 10-15 mile rides. The TLD Sprint looks good.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Wool base layers/socks, Endura humvee 3/4 shorts, kneewarmers, Marmot Precip rain jacket and a good beanie have gotten me through many cold, wet ride around the Bay Area.
    How do those Endura's run size wise? Typical Euro where a L is a S? Or true to size?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    So if you can't keep your bike chamois completely dry or don't like the plastic feeling shorts that are water sealed, one idea is to not war chamois.

Use a very comfortable saddle and merino wool (or good wicking material) underwear, Fairly tight and no seam on the rear is good. Try it and see if you can get roll with it.

Because there is nothing worse than a soaking wet chamois, diaper.

I used lululemon but trying some amazon stuff now.
    IPA will save America

GMM
    mtbr member
    I think I'll try ditching the chamois on Saturday and riding with waterproof shorts. I get 3 hours not being doable in 30 degree weather but it doesn't seem unreasonable in bay area where it usually is high 40's to mid 50's when raining.

To QA: I do need to HTFU, but I want to OMC (optimize my clothes) first.

mtbr member
    I like the looks of Fox mtb pants. A little more DH bro oriented vs winter backcountry epic, but I prefer that anyways. Just a little pricy. Donít own any, but considering a pair.

Air Pirate
    I use a pair of Showers Pass Skyline pants. If it is really cold I add some Terramar Thermawool merino baselayer pants.

I chose the Skyline over the Refuge as it was a closer fit, more like a looser-fitting pair of tights as opposed to a rain-cover type pant meant for wearing over your street clothes to commute to the office. I commute but change into work clothes when I arrive at my office, so with these I was able to get something that worked well out on the dirt (not too much bagginess) that also served my paved commute needs.

The Skylines have "waterproof" panels and some breathable stretch panels, so it is a little bit of a compromise if you are looking for something absolutely waterproof. I wanted the breathability and stretch. I still stay pretty dry overall, especially since I utilize good coverage fenders on my bikes.

These pants also allow you to utilize the 4-point suspenders that Showers Pass sells to go with their rain pants. I cant stand rear-of-pants droop in the cold and the suspenders keep things where they need to be comfortably, which is also really nice that the pants stay put and don't develop any sag to catch on my saddle.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Waiting for Godot
    Frogg toggs are by far the best rain/wind pants/jacket ever invented. 100% waterproof and winproof with no condensation issues. As an added bonus you cannot feel the cold when the outside of material get wet and lays on your skin. Just do not get the ultra light versions, its just nylon. Get the normal tyvek one. And they are inexpensive, 50.00 for top/bottom

mtbr member
    Found them under $100 on the line

https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/spri...tity=1&color=7