Race Across America - need a little help- Mtbr.com
    site *****
    Mar 2008

Race Across America - need a little help

In a quest for the Downieville World Championship expert podium, I signed up for RAAM. Not exactly the most logical cross training event, but whatever. I don't have a road bike either. I figure I will be the only guy to race across the country on a cyclocross bike with hairy legs.

Fortunately, I was smart enough to join a 4 man relay team, so I won't be doing the 3,000 miles and 130,000 ft of climbing solo. My teammates and I will race non stop day and night, from California to Maryland, hoping to go coast to coast in less than 7 days. The race is one of the world’s most difficult endurance events. We pedal across Death Valley, Colorado Rockies, Great Plains, Appalachians, and more.

I'm aware this is a MTB forum. I'm a Mt. Biker and I don't have a username on any road bike forums. So here I am, asking for your help.

The real grown up reason for racing this monster event is to raise money and awareness for organ donation and transplantation. Riding a bicycle across the country seems easier than asking people to donate their hard earned money but over 21,000 people in California are waiting for an organ donation right now. Please partner with me on this adventure by making a donation to my team's non profit organization so we can honor our goal of organ donation and transplant awareness. If you are not able to contribute, perhaps you can pass this along to somebody who has been affected by organ donation or long endurance cycling events and they can help my cause.

How I need help:

1. A tax deductible (TAX ID 20-1868171) donation of any amount can be made online at my fundraising page.

2. Vote for my $500 chocolate milk grant submission and click to vote for me daily until June 15th, most popular wins. (search for "obie")

3. Become an organ donor by signing up online

4. Looking for equipment loaners for the following or similar items (TT bike, aero wheels, aero bars, aero helmet, electronic stimulation device ie. MarcPro, EPO , etc.)

You can follow our team's progress when the race starts June 18th at the RAAM website.

Thank you,
    [email protected]
    Browse Living Outfitters for backyard living products.

mtbr member
    Good luck to you! I'll be out there shooting photos and providing reports for the RAAM website.

One thing though, check your route book. RAAM doesn't go through Death Valley.
    http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/use...28final%29.pdf

site *****
    Mar 2008
    good catch, my mistake. but it does sound so much more bad ass than Blythe

mtbr member
    Good luck to you. I knew a dude that used to do that solo. His weekend training ride was 300+ miles, left Sat morning and got home Sun night.

site *****
    Mar 2008
    Dont forget to click the chocolate milk thingiemabob daily!

http://www.refuelwithchocolatemilk.com/grants/vote/

site *****
    Mar 2008
    How do you get 13 people in 3 vehicles across the country without ever stopping the race pace? Each car needs to be fueled and restocked with food once a day, crew needs to get sleep and racers need pampering.

Anybody interested in a expense paid trip across the country while we conquer this mega endurance challenge? We have 7 crew members now, but would like to get up to 9 peeps to staff our 3 vehicles as we drive one way coast to coast. Then we fly you home.

June 16th-26th. CA to MD. RAAM. Join us. PM me.

mtbr member
    Will you pedal up Wolf Creek Pass, or take the chair-lift?

Quote Originally Posted by obie.miller
    How do you get 13 people in 3 vehicles across the country without ever stopping the race pace? Each car needs to be fueled and restocked with food once a day, crew needs to get sleep and racers need pampering.

Anybody interested in a expense paid trip across the country while we conquer this mega endurance challenge? We have 7 crew members now, but would like to get up to 9 peeps to staff our 3 vehicles as we drive one way coast to coast. Then we fly you home.

"Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

site *****
    Mar 2008
    I'm guessing Wolf Creek will suck, but from what I hear its West Virgina that really does the damage!

site *****
    Mar 2008
    Any RAAM veterans out there? Looking for a sounding board of advice

mtbr member
    WV is relentless...no recovery. Hill, slight descent, hill, slight descent....repeat as needed until will-to-live abates.

I'm guessing Wolf Creek will suck, but from what I hear its West Virgina that really does the damage!
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Damn.. that would be such a wicked way to end my Senior year in High School.. I will actually be down in Cali around that time.. and what a way to see the country!! I even work in a bike shop too.. not that a you would want a 18 year old as part of your crew

site *****
    Mar 2008
    If we get to 9 driver/navigators we could have additional crew members that are under 25.

mtb'er
    Bumpity bump.

Team Donate Life/Live Forever is almost 100 hours into RAAM and currently bouncing between 2nd and 3rd place (4 person relay). They say the race doesn't really start until you cross the Mississippi river.

Obie is pushing himself to the limit. His FB post this morning (from Missouri):
    "2 riders left the race for 15 hours so chris and I had to hammer overnight which popped him. I had to solo for a few hours thru dawn to keep our position moving forward."

This from yesterday:
    "I wish I had the time to explain how complex this race is, but here's a teaser: I estimate your finish time is 40% physical fitness. I'm having a fantastic time and surprisingly feel great with 6 hrs sleep since Saturday."

I like this site for tracking the teams and solos: http://www.myathletelive.com/storage...125/index.html

Channel your good thoughts to Obie and his team. And it's not to late to donate a few bucks! http://www.teamdonatelife.com/riders.asp?ifid=84

mtbr member
    http://www.teamjdrf.org/

My buddies team is doing better than they thought. The 4 tandem teams averaged 27.8mph for 176 miles through kansas.

That's fast!

Members who have read this thread: 0