fc
    head minion Administrator

Quincy and Mt. Hough

Who has been there? How did you get up? I'm not talking Grinduro either. Top to bottom.

How'd you like it? Photos?

It turns out I have a lot of photos. That place needs rain. And they got just got it.

Quincy and Mt. Hough-cmeagher_170823_0485-001.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I took the shuttle through Yuba. I can’t wait to go back. It would be fairly easy to self shuttle as well but it’s a pretty rough road on the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmxsteve View Post
    I took the shuttle through Yuba. I can’t wait to go back. It would be fairly easy to self shuttle as well but it’s a pretty rough road on the way up.

That road is/was easy. So long. The fine dust is brutal on vehicles but all this recent rain will keep the dust in check.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    That road is/was easy. So long. The fine dust is brutal on vehicles but all this recent rain will keep the dust in check.
    Maybe because we were in a raggedy old shuttle van but it seemed like it was in pretty rough.

fc
    oops, looks like I started a similar thread last year. But oh well... it just rained.

Here's the stats with some extra credit in the beginning.Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 8.04.06 AM.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  36.4 KB
    IPA will save America

NedwannaB
    Who has been there? How did you get up? I'm not talking Grinduro either. Top to bottom.

How'd you like it?

It turns out I have a lot of photos. That place needs rain. And they got just got it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMeagher_170823_0485-001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	1220148
    Do I spy an ebike or three? Not sure 😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

I dig trails!
    The highway between Susanville and Quincy was closed due to a vehicle spill this summer, so a lot of traffic was using the dirt road to get back and forth to and from towns, hammering the road up a bit.

We are also talking with our partner, Fox Shox, to see if there is a cost effective solution to have the van's suspension better match the road.

P

mtbr member
    I live in Quincy, so ride it regularly. It is a great backyard trail to have. Love doing a quick post-work berry creek loop.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Do I spy an ebike or three? Not sure 😎
    we all ebiked up. The fat dudes all ran out of battery.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yuba isn’t running shuttles to Mills or Hough the last weekend of October they just told me. If you can get enough heads together, he said he might be able to make one happen.

Hough isn’t technical, but it was really fun, flowy and long.

mtbr member
    We took the Feather River bike shop shuttle.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    May 2014
    We shuttled ourselves, on the way back down my bike was on a hitch rack and it was completely dirty. Hated to see my bike that bad. But the ride down was well worth it. Will ride it more now then mills peak. Mills seemed to have way more baby head rock sections then the last time I rode it though.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    We took the Feather River bike shop shuttle.
    That makes more sense. They're in Quincy right?
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by brncr6 View Post
    We shuttled ourselves, on the way back down my bike was on a hitch rack and it was completely dirty. Hated to see my bike that bad. But the ride down was well worth it. Will ride it more now then mills peak. Mills seemed to have way more baby head rock sections then the last time I rode it though.
    The rain cleaned off dust on the rocks. Only about million of em.
    IPA will save America

wretch
    Two laps last Saturday in perfect conditions. Feather River is shuttling through the end of October. $20 for one lap and $15 for the second (they pick you up for the second lap at the train tracks.

It's a fantastic trail for any level of rider. I have nothing nice to say about climbing up that road be it for Grinduro or just a lap.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    ... I have nothing nice to say about climbing up that road be it for Grinduro or just a lap.
    And this is coming from an elite rider!

I climbed it on an ebike and it left a mark. Had to do it in the lowest mode possible (because of the height) and we raced up.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    That makes more sense. They're in Quincy right?
    Yep!!
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I looped it today just For the hell of it. I actually like the climb up to Pauley from DVille better- it has better scenery, road surface and more of an even pitch. There were steep sections on the Hough climb with lots of washboard.

The downhill though was super fun! Speedy, narrow, twisty with some awesome bank turns. Glad I finally made it there to check it out!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've done it twice. Once up the road, which sucked, and once up the trail which was actually a lot more "fun" if you're into such things like I am. Started early both times and didn't see a soul either time. Both times were the day after a Lakes Basin loop which started with climbing Mills. Mills is another one where I don't see a reason not to climb the trail if you get an early enough start. I'm not into messing with peoples downhill flow, but I haven't seen anyone on either climb and it's a burly way to get up to the Lakes Basin techy goodness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    I've done it twice. Once up the road, which sucked, and once up the trail which was actually a lot more "fun" if you're into such things like I am. Started early both times and didn't see a soul either time. Both times were the day after a Lakes Basin loop which started with climbing Mills. Mills is another one where I don't see a reason not to climb the trail if you get an early enough start. I'm not into messing with peoples downhill flow, but I haven't seen anyone on either climb and it's a burly way to get up to the Lakes Basin techy goodness.
    I agree, climbing the singletrack on Hough would be the way to go but probably weekday only or you’d be surprising a lot of downhillers- pretty twisty there so not a lot of time for warning.
    My (58 year old!) wife and I climbed Mills earlier this year- I liked that. My wife- meh not as much BUT after post-ride beers at the Brewing Liar it was all good!

Played hooky on Friday and climbed Elwell- love this shot my buddy took. The Sierra are so sweet right now.
    Quincy and Mt. Hough-550161f3-686b-4eac-a4e2-324763ff39a1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    I agree, climbing the singletrack on Hough would be the way to go but probably weekday only or you’d be surprising a lot of downhillers- pretty twisty there so not a lot of time for warning.
    My (58 year old!) wife and I climbed Mills earlier this year- I liked that. My wife- meh not as much BUT after post-ride beers at the Brewing Liar it was all good!

Played hooky on Friday and climbed Elwell- love this shot my buddy took. The Sierra are so sweet right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	550161F3-686B-4EAC-A4E2-324763FF39A1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	1220623
    Glad to not only hear you climb to descend, but also enjoyed the area and rides!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Shril and yahoo I should introduce you fellas

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Whaaat’s up Svhan? Your neighborhood is blazing with Aspen colors right now. Webber Lake must be amazing. Going to Forest City for AppleFest Sun? The bar with the rubber dance floor will be open. Wish we could camp up there somewhere.

Schril- climb to descend! I assume you live in the Sierra? Quincy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    Whaaat’s up Svhan? Your neighborhood is blazing with Aspen colors right now. Webber Lake must be amazing. Going to Forest City for AppleFest Sun? The bar with the rubber dance floor will be open. Wish we could camp up there somewhere.

Schril- climb to descend! I assume you live in the Sierra? Quincy?
    Graeagle, right at the base of the smooth and silky trails of Lakes Basin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Did Hough right before 4th of July this year. Self shuttled to the top. Road up was super smooth (dusty) and the decent was super smooth as well. Great for people who like smooth and flowy but wish there was a little more chunk TBH. Agree that this would be great best after it rained.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
    Did Hough right before 4th of July this year. Self shuttled to the top. Road up was super smooth (dusty) and the decent was super smooth as well. Great for people who like smooth and flowy but wish there was a little more chunk TBH. Agree that this would be great best after it rained.
    There is steep chunk if you look for the Berry Creek Trail for the last 1/4 of the ride.

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Did Hough and Mills using feather river outdoors' shuttle yesterday (Wed). Only two of us on both shuttles, no other riders seen on the trails!

Hough was amazing! Almost like a 12 mile Flow trail. Fast and fun.

Mills was meh just like last time. Just rocky and shale-y most of the way, kind of slow. My rear hub broke half way down and I had to pump my way down the mountain

Should have done 2 (or 3) laps on Hough instead...

Beautiful fall colors in the Sierras right now!

The shuttle driver told us they had more than 100 people last weekend. I assume next (last) weekend will be pretty crazy too.