Question about Wilder Ranch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question about Wilder Ranch

Planning to ride there this weekend. First timer. Is it true the Ohlone Bluff trail is a one way trail going northbound? Meaning you cant ride Ohlone if you came from Balwin Loop. Also what is the ideal place to park if riding at Wilder? Thx

mtbr dismember

State Park

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    Planning to ride there this weekend. First timer. Is it true the Ohlone Bluff trail is a one way trail going northbound? Meaning you cant ride Ohlone if you came from Balwin Loop. Also what is the ideal place to park if riding at Wilder? Thx
    Last time I was there over two years ago I rode both directions on the Bluff Trail. Park in the State Park parking lot and you can get a map and your questions answered. Used to be a lot of car beak ins along Hwy 1. If we use the park we should pay for it.

middle ring single track

Links to maps

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Last time I was there over two years ago I rode both directions on the Bluff Trail. Park in the State Park parking lot and you can get a map and your questions answered. Used to be a lot of car beak ins along Hwy 1. If we use the park we should pay for it.
    Since I have an annual State Parks pass I usually use use the parking lot, if I'm meeting same "cheap" friends I might park along Highway One. I wouldn't leave my car there at night though!

Here's a link to a download page for a really nice map of Wilder:
    http://www.virtualparks.org/maps/wilder_ranch.html

This is a similar map with VR links by the same guy:
    http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/wilder-qtvr-map.html

I ride Wilder 5~6 times a year, I've never seen any mention of Ohlone Bluff being one-way---the prevailing wind favors riding it "down" the coast though.

Try to hit as much of the single track as possible, "Old Cabin" is very nice,"Enchanted Loop" if you like rooty technical, the southern portion of "Wilder Ridge Loop" (aka "Dairy") is pretty torn up so you may want to avoid it. Have fun!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't know of any one way trails in Wilder. Where did you hear that?
    Ride it like you stole it!

Fireball in the Night
    IMHO Ohlone Bluff is two way... it's a dirt road -wide and flat- for the farming tractors. Yes, ride it from Baldwin. Baldwin is not my first choice on the entire Wilder list of trails. I would consider riding Dairy once you reach the North boundary.
    Though I've ridden this both directions, I consider Old Cabin as a one way trail, approaching from Wild Boar and exiting onto Euc Loop.
    everyone drives a Used Car

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by 5H0CK3R
    I don't know of any one way trails in Wilder. Where did you hear that?
    Enchanted Loop is one way, yes?
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    Nope, though parts are probably unrideable in one direction.
    Ride it like you stole it!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore

i honestly cannot think of a single 1 way trail in the bay area....

though...climbing some of them is really not entirely cool...IMO....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member

Wilder Ranch

There are no one way only trails in Wilder Ranch. You can also park on the top of Wilder on Empire Grade road past the top entrance to UCSC.

mtbr member
    Middle Green Gulch in the Marin Headlands. Only one I know and way better up that down anyways.

middle ring single track

One-way

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    i honestly cannot think of a single 1 way trail in the bay area....

though...climbing some of them is really not entirely cool...IMO....
    Charcoal Road/Table Mountain @ Saratoga Gap one way UP for bikes.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg
    Charcoal Road/Table Mountain @ Saratoga Gap one way UP for bikes.

d'oh!....absolutely correct-a-mundo.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for clarifying. I vaguely recall reading somewhere (maybe a hiker's site...hehe) that said Ohlone Bluff was one-way. I plan on riding in the morning so I hope parking at the lot on Coast will not be a problem. Maybe the thieves are still asleep at those times. I heard its $10 parking fee. Small fee to enjoy Wilder.

I mapped out a trail that is mostly (if not all) single track. From what i read, Wilder is a great place to ride. Looking forward to the experience.

mtbr member
    Yes, the parking fee is $10, at least as of my last ride there in June...

I'm not sure how much you're set on the route you've already picked, but I thought my favorite route selection at Wilder might be of some help:

http://bayarearides.com/rides/wilderranch1/

I think I can safely say that this one ride traverses something like 90% of all singletrack in that park.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    The Wagon wheel trail at Wilder was one-way for a while when it was open.

mtbr member
    Halls Valley Trail at Grant Ranch near San Jose is another example of a one-way trail.

And, if we're getting into what used to be one-way as well, I remember reading that Eldridge Grade on Mount Tam was also once uphill-only for bikes.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks everyone for clarifying. I vaguely recall reading somewhere (maybe a hiker's site...hehe) that said Ohlone Bluff was one-way. I plan on riding in the morning so I hope parking at the lot on Coast will not be a problem. Maybe the thieves are still asleep at those times. I heard its $10 parking fee. Small fee to enjoy Wilder.

I mapped out a trail that is mostly (if not all) single track. From what i read, Wilder is a great place to ride. Looking forward to the experience.
    It's a fun place to ride. A benefit of parking in the lot is that you have running water and bathrooms, as well as the greatly reduced likelihood of a break-in.

In my opinion, Ohlone Bluff is best ridden from Baldwin at the end of a ride. You get this great scenic cruise along the ocean. In addition, when it is windy, the prevailing wind along there tends to blow down the coast, so going north on OB means you are riding into the wind.

There's one beach along the bluff trail that you have to hike a bike across, or cut way inland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erginguney
    Yes, the parking fee is $10, at least as of my last ride there in June...

I'm not sure how much you're set on the route you've already picked, but I thought my favorite route selection at Wilder might be of some help:

http://bayarearides.com/rides/wilderranch1/

I think I can safely say that this one ride traverses something like 90% of all singletrack in that park.
    How funny, that is the same route I mapped out. Read about it on another MTBR thread in 2008. Many said that is the best ride at Wilder. Looking forward to getting my tires dirty.

mtbr member
    @ Ergin: Great Site, Bookmarkin it now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AptosRider
    @ Ergin: Great Site, Bookmarkin it now!
    Hey, thanks! Tell your friends...

Members who have read this thread: 0