PSA: It's spelled Nisene- Mtbr.com
    I like mtn biking, too

PSA: It's spelled Nisene

I hope this comes off as helpful, not nit-picky. I too have typed it and it never looked right. Nicene? Niscene? Niseeen? Nysein? Nissen
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Nice try, but this is just like with Annadel!

#annadale

#losingbattle
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I can hardly spell it and am trying to tame it but I have been wondering why it is called Nisene Marks, from wiki:

The park was named after Nisene Marks, a passionate nature lover and the mother of a Salinas farming family that purchased the land from lumber companies (and others) in the hopes of finding oil. After drilling efforts failed to find any oil, Marks' children donated the original 9,700 acres (3,900 ha) of land in her memory to the state of California (with the help of the Nature Conservancy) in 1963.[1]

The California State Parks department, with additional help from the Save the Redwoods League, expanded the park to 10,036 acres (4,061 ha). The park is on land that was clearcut during a forty-year period of logging (1883–1923) by the Loma Prieta Lumber Company. Evidence of logging operations, mill sites and trestles is visible in the park. The park offers rugged semi-wilderness, rising from sea level to steep coastal mountains of more than 2,600 feet (790 m). The park is a popular spot for running, hiking and horseback riding. Mountain biking is restricted to the fire road as of 2004 because of deed restrictions regarding the state park.

The epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake on October 17, 1989 was in this park.[2] The quake's epicenter and Five Finger Falls are the two most popular attractions in the park.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm going to Nissan on Saturday to ride to the top of Ridge trail and hit Brail and then back out. That climb back to the top and dropping back into Niscenes is a pain, but its won of the best fire rodes a round. Your envited to join inn.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I'm going to Nissan on Saturday to ride to the top of Ridge trail and hit Brail and then back out. That climb back to the top and dropping back into Niscenes is a pain, but its won of the best fire rodes a round. Your envited to join inn.
    Stay in school, kids.
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Trespinero View Post
    I can hardly spell it and am trying to tame it but I have been wondering why it is called Nisene Marks, from wiki:

The park was named after Nisene Marks, a passionate nature lover and the mother of a Salinas farming family that purchased the land from lumber companies (and others) in the hopes of finding oil. After drilling efforts failed to find any oil, Marks' children donated the original 9,700 acres (3,900 ha) of land in her memory to the state of California (with the help of the Nature Conservancy) in 1963.[1]

The California State Parks department, with additional help from the Save the Redwoods League, expanded the park to 10,036 acres (4,061 ha). The park is on land that was clearcut during a forty-year period of logging (1883–1923) by the Loma Prieta Lumber Company. Evidence of logging operations, mill sites and trestles is visible in the park. The park offers rugged semi-wilderness, rising from sea level to steep coastal mountains of more than 2,600 feet (790 m). The park is a popular spot for running, hiking and horseback riding. Mountain biking is restricted to the fire road as of 2004 because of deed restrictions regarding the state park.

The epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake on October 17, 1989 was in this park.[2] The quake's epicenter and Five Finger Falls are the two most popular attractions in the park.
    It's worthy to note that equestrian use is even more restricted by deed restrictions than bicycle access:

"HORSES are only allowed and the four single-track trails below the steel bridge (named above). Horses are not allowed past the steel bridge."

Not even on the fire roads. Of course some horsey folks poach just like some bike folks.

It was in large part the deed restriction against horses that the biking community lost in court the bike access to all single track trails within the area of the original Marks property. It is not spelled out in the restrictions that bicycles are not allowed but in the context of not being mentioned as to what is allowed on the property the decision fell against bicycle access.

That the Property shall be a portion of a State Park to be known as “The
    Forest of Nisene Marks”;
    That adequate standards for public health and safety shall be maintained
    thereon;
    That there shall be no horseback riding thereon;
    That the use of the Property shall be limited to camping, nature study,
    hiking and associated activities;
    That any development of the Property in connection with said activities
    shall be in keeping with its natural surroundings;”

The 250 pages of the General Plan are a good read for those so inclined.

Also from the G.P.:

Old-timers who rode motorcycles still speak in loving terms of being able to ride through the
    Loma Prieta property in the 1940s, crossing perilous trestles and jumping streams. Many of
    these visitors picked up pieces of the logging history and took them home: beams, boards,
    hardware, spikes, rail, doors, and window frames.

Those would be my father and his friends. I still have a trophy he won at a moto enduro ride through the area. The "Loma Prieta" referred to isn't the mountain peak we know today but the Loma Prieta Lumber Company which owned the Hinckley Basin area, now part of the park.

Good times...
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    Whoa, pump the the breaks! Had to slow down and read this, very cool.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Good to know since I have to navigate there from Frisco. Oh sorry. San Frannnnnnn.
    IPA will save America

singletrack bound
    PSA: It's spelled Nisene-842d36c4-59d4-4014-8932-13ca4d9b4b1b.jpg

Love this!!
    My backyard. I have lived here since 1963 and I didn’t discover Nisene until I was in highschool. Used to run out to Maple Falls and back.
    In 82, the winter floods changed several places in the park including the main fire road going in.
    89 was the game changer after the Loma Prieta earthquake and the internet! That put Nisene on the map for all of the Bay Area.
    Here is a cut that Bud McCrary made during the 50th. Anniversary of Nisene celebration in 2013.
    Got this on my deck at home!
    (Don’t get the sideways photos....oh well....)

Probably be out there this afternoon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Very cool! What's the bottle?

Here's everything you ever/never wanted to know about the local logging operations and associated trains. There are remnants scattered around the park, including the bike rack at the bottom of the Incline climb made from a section of rail! I found a cool old etched-glass bleach bottle (Sani-Clor) in a stump near the Outhouse Tree last year.

https://www.santacruztrains.com/2014/12/
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

singletrack bound
    PSA: It's spelled Nisene-bead7b2d-182c-4146-84f1-c2180ee623d8.jpg

Seven years ago to the date! May 19th. 2013!

mtbr member
    It will always be Niscene to me (that's what my spell check likes as well).

Anyone find the fossil garden yet?

Also, I have a wild idea to hike up to the 5Finger waterfall taking the creek all the way up...it would be a massive scramble and perhaps not doable but I wonder what would be found along the way. Anyone try this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSA: It's spelled Nisene-fossil.jpg  

I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    It's worthy to note that equestrian use is even more restricted by deed restrictions than bicycle access:

"HORSES are only allowed and the four single-track trails below the steel bridge (named above). Horses are not allowed past the steel bridge."

Not even on the fire roads. Of course some horsey folks poach just like some bike folks.

It was in large part the deed restriction against horses that the biking community lost in court the bike access to all single track trails within the area of the original Marks property. It is not spelled out in the restrictions that bicycles are not allowed but in the context of not being mentioned as to what is allowed on the property the decision fell against bicycle access.

That the Property shall be a portion of a State Park to be known as “The
    Forest of Nisene Marks”;
    That adequate standards for public health and safety shall be maintained
    thereon;
    That there shall be no horseback riding thereon;
    That the use of the Property shall be limited to camping, nature study,
    hiking and associated activities;
    That any development of the Property in connection with said activities
    shall be in keeping with its natural surroundings;”

The 250 pages of the General Plan are a good read for those so inclined.

Also from the G.P.:

Old-timers who rode motorcycles still speak in loving terms of being able to ride through the
    Loma Prieta property in the 1940s, crossing perilous trestles and jumping streams. Many of
    these visitors picked up pieces of the logging history and took them home: beams, boards,
    hardware, spikes, rail, doors, and window frames.

Those would be my father and his friends. I still have a trophy he won at a moto enduro ride through the area. The "Loma Prieta" referred to isn't the mountain peak we know today but the Loma Prieta Lumber Company which owned the Hinckley Basin area, now part of the park.

Good times...
    Thanks for the color commentary. Good read.

singletrack bound
    I remember when Hoffman’s Historic site Wooden buildings were still standing.....

Lol.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post

Also, I have a wild idea to hike up to the 5Finger waterfall taking the creek all the way up...it would be a massive scramble and perhaps not doable but I wonder what would be found along the way. Anyone try this?
    Do you mean hike Aptos Creek up to the falls or do you mean hike the side canyon above the falls and come out by Buzzard Lagoon? Yes and no is my answer but I didn't hike Aptos Creek all in one shot. Maybe 3 different trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Do you mean hike Aptos Creek up to the falls or do you mean hike the side canyon above the falls and come out by Buzzard Lagoon? Yes and no is my answer but I didn't hike Aptos Creek all in one shot. Maybe 3 different trips.
    Aptos Creek up to the falls. I once hiked down to another waterfall from way up high on Bacon (there is a geo-cache there). Treacherous...almost died.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've thought about that one, too. Count me in! There's a pretty big section of rail in the creek right at the start. I'm also looking at another adventure-hike route to the falls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^ Very cool! What's the bottle?

Here's everything you ever/never wanted to know about the local logging operations and associated trains. There are remnants scattered around the park, including the bike rack at the bottom of the Incline climb made from a section of rail! I found a cool old etched-glass bleach bottle (Sani-Clor) in a stump near the Outhouse Tree last year.

https://www.santacruztrains.com/2014/12/
    Good Stuff - wish they left the train there on Hihn's for shuttling purposes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Stay in school, kids.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Good to know since I have to navigate there from Frisco. Oh sorry. San Frannnnnnn.
    You always know someone is not from around here when you hear one of those terms used for The City.

Up In Smoke
    I feel your pain, people screw up the spelling of Ord and Toro as well all the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ How could you possibly screw up Fort Oro?

(I just got an idea for an epic e-bike ride)
    Last edited by Callender; 05-20-2020 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That Finch is a rascal.
    Just call me Ray

I like mtn biking, too
    I knew you guys would adorn this thread with coffee spittin' hilarity. And some hidden history and other gems about the park! So cool.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

I like mtn biking, too
    Woah, from MoPed's general plan link for Nicseoeene,

During the summer and fall of 2001, a volunteer
    for the park planning effort conducted 79 two-hour sampling sessions at the entrance station
    (Kiosk), George’s and Porter Family Picnic Areas, Vienna Woods, Terrace Trails, and Sand
    Point Overlook. As per this survey, by far the most intense use originates in the lower part of
    the park: only 2 percent of the visits37, were recorded at Sand Point Overlook. Of the use
    occurring in the park below the Loma Prieta Mill Site, runners, hikers and bikers were 25, 52,
    and 23 percent of the total, respectively. The only other uses stated (swimming and horseback
    riding) were less than 1 percent of the total.
    Bikers use the park the most, yet are given disproportionately less surface area to roam. And here folks, is the root of every problem ever cited regarding MTB's.
    ~Fairfaxian

middle ring single track

Albretto Stoodley

If you guys and gals really want to get immersed in area history; here's a 1964 interview with a real old-timer:

The Loma Prieta Lumber Company & Santa Cruz in the Early Twentieth Century

PSA: It's spelled Nisene-split-stuff.jpg

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    OMFG you had to go there. I wish Carlos Ghosn would rot in hell.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^ How could you possibly screw up Fort Oro?
    If you are going to question, get the name right . It's Fort Oreo. Just be careful if you cross 168 and got to Toro. While there's no bulls there, I heard there's 1800 Oreos to see at the top of that one climb near the back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Woah, from MoPed's general plan link for Nicseoeene,

During the summer and fall of 2001, a volunteer
    for the park planning effort conducted 79 two-hour sampling sessions at the entrance station
    (Kiosk), George’s and Porter Family Picnic Areas, Vienna Woods, Terrace Trails, and Sand
    Point Overlook. As per this survey, by far the most intense use originates in the lower part of
    the park: only 2 percent of the visits37, were recorded at Sand Point Overlook. Of the use
    occurring in the park below the Loma Prieta Mill Site, runners, hikers and bikers were 25, 52,
    and 23 percent of the total, respectively. The only other uses stated (swimming and horseback
    riding) were less than 1 percent of the total.
    Bikers use the park the most, yet are given disproportionately less surface area to roam. And here folks, is the root of every problem ever cited regarding MTB's.
    Huh? You read that wrong. It's runners=25%, hikers=52%, bikers=23%. So technically bikers use the park the least of the 3 groups, according to those numbers. Damn mountain bikers always trying to present their Alternate Facts™!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Good catch!

Also, that was in 2001. Nowadays, not that many people ride there since there are so few real trails and a lot of people have transitioned to pickleball (which is pretty rad).

singletrack bound

Dirt was primo

We got this turn supported a bit today!
    The trail gnomes were at it as the dirt was perfect!

PSA: It's spelled Nisene-b021e179-f7e3-404f-9c95-22eb3dd0dddc.jpg

PSA: It's spelled Nisene-8fa41491-ddb5-4d42-a73a-5630b1fcfaa2.jpg

mtbr member
    How's the dirt now...sick or slick? Thinking about an afternoon jaunt.

singletrack bound
    should be good. It was only slick in a very few spots yesterday especially on the steeps but the rest is good....
    careful.....one med size tree down across the trail on a fast section on the nut! If it isn't taken out soon I will go in and get it!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    should be good. It was only slick in a very few spots yesterday especially on the steeps but the rest is good....
    careful.....one med size tree down across the trail on a fast section on the nut! If it isn't taken out soon I will go in and get it!
    Tree gone!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    We got this turn supported a bit today!
    The trail gnomes were at it as the dirt was perfect!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B021E179-F7E3-404F-9C95-22EB3DD0DDDC.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	1334769

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FA41491-DDB5-4D42-A73A-5630B1FCFAA2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	1334771
    Great photo T. That one guy looks familiar. I think I've seen him up there before.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    I hope this comes off as helpful, not nit-picky. I too have typed it and it never looked right. Nicene? Niscene? Niseeen? Nysein? Nissen
    my favorite, Nizeene

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by cave man View Post
    Great photo T. That one guy looks familiar. I think I've seen him up there before.
    Lol......right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In 1990 I was a shop mechanic here in Colorado Springs I was hired to be a ride along mechanic for a local church's annual bike tour (never attended one myself so I was a Heathen among them). It was a group of High Schoolers and we rode around the roads in Nisene one of the days.
    I remember it was beautiful and most of my pics were hardly visable under the dark canopy & the Epicenter sign that was freshly planted. Finished in Capitola before we continued down the coast - good times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ That's pretty cool! It is a beautiful park and there are WAY more trails there now. You must have gone to the Loma Prieta earthquake epicenter spot, which not many people do. Now there's the Epicenter bike shop at the entrance to the park. Hit me up if you're ever back in the area. We'll do a Heathen Tour! And if you run into Natalie on the trails in CS, she's a friend of mine.

middle ring single track

Michael Bergazzi

This week's reading assignment is Michael Bergazzi: Santa Cruz Lumbering

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ Good find, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    ^^ That's pretty cool! It is a beautiful park and there are WAY more trails there now. You must have gone to the Loma Prieta earthquake epicenter spot, which not many people do. Now there's the Epicenter bike shop at the entrance to the park. Hit me up if you're ever back in the area. We'll do a Heathen Tour! And if you run into Natalie on the trails in CS, she's a friend of mine.
    hoping to put together a heathen tour Saturday.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Yup! Geocacher "Mayela Mingi", who has moved out of the area, did it with me, and a few other Geo-crazies. Waaayyy past 5 Finger, then scrambled up a crumbling hillside when the creek petered out. I was just discussing his latest adventures with him today...sign me up!