PSA - Briones is cracking down- Mtbr.com
    Crazed Country Rebel

PSA - Briones is cracking down

They are using camera's, and doing more patrols to crack down on illegal trails being built.

Ride FAST, my friends!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Yep I got a talking to today on the Hank and Frank trail. They have been given a grant to have consultants do reports regarding the damage some bootlegged trails have done in the park system. The consultants are concerned about the natural foliage and lack of Trillium growing under the canopy....but may not like the explanation that the cows ate it all.
    But the trail builders for the trail I was tagged on had left their buckets for mixing mud and making berms laying around and the erosion is being recorded by photo.
    Sooo...cuttings and tree limbs are now being placed across the trails, at the base of H&F they have pulled the old fences and barbed wire into the trail!! Any stream dams are being destroyed, and traverses of gullies are being filled with debris. My usual 4 minute ride was turned into a 19 minute hike a bike and eye to eye with EBRP enforcement and consultants at task....
    Bummer in Briones!!
    "I would kill for a Nobel Peace Prize"

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by suvacrew View Post
    Yep I got a talking to today on the Hank and Frank trail. They have been given a grant to have consultants do reports regarding the damage some bootlegged trails have done in the park system. The consultants are concerned about the natural foliage and lack of Trillium growing under the canopy....but may not like the explanation that the cows ate it all.
    But the trail builders for the trail I was tagged on had left their buckets for mixing mud and making berms laying around and the erosion is being recorded by photo.
    Sooo...cuttings and tree limbs are now being placed across the trails, at the base of H&F they have pulled the old fences and barbed wire into the trail!! Any stream dams are being destroyed, and traverses of gullies are being filled with debris. My usual 4 minute ride was turned into a 19 minute hike a bike and eye to eye with EBRP enforcement and consultants at task....
    Bummer in Briones!!
    Yah. I almost posted what you wrote on strava, but circumscribed it instead.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Better than a double circumcision.
    Ah..Trillium.....
    "I would kill for a Nobel Peace Prize"

jrm
    mtbr member

Here's the thing

The programmable Environmental Impact Reports (EIR's) written for for many EBRPD parks are out of date and there for not compliance due to the changing CEQA/NEPA regarding grazing. The problem? Non formal trails created by animals grazing. They're trying to cover their tracks by increasing enforcement of trails that were created by building and not those that are non formal as a result of their approval of grazing.

mtbr member
    Perhaps they should use the money to build trails that people want to be on rather than cracking down on building trails.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Husband Stalker
    Jul 2012
    seriously? Trillium? Maybe the answer is less free-roaming fauna? Deer, cows, even the occasional equestrian will un-bit and let graze.I saw my dog eat some once. He was not happy after that, but he still ate it.

well, hopefully EBRPD can get back to the important things after this, like keeping high schoolers from conceiving children at The Point and keeping dogs on leash at Lime Ridge.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I miss H&F. really hope that they get tired of it and we can take it back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    All was fine till H&F got too popular which brought attention and then the newer work done to it with them keeping tabs on it didn't help- that was told to me by a park maintenance guy.
    I see so many new riders in the park and with only fire roads offered in such a large place.... EBRPD should really be looking at doing something, but honestly in the 25 plus yrs riding I've seen EBRPD do little. Makes me laugh when they get all over riders off the fire roads when on daily rides I see the rancher all over the hills on his Quad and the park guys doing the same in their rigs.
    The fire roads are the same ones that were there in the 70's with nothing new and many are pointless to ride with all the gravel they keep adding for vehicle traffic. Most of the non legal stuff was there back then as well.
    The Dist. will lose interest in it if people mellow on using for a few months be patient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't even know where that trail is...I guess I'm too busy looking for birds! Sux that they are cracking down on one built trail when cattle blaze new trails literally all over the place...and their big trail building season (wet winter) hasn't even begun. EBRPD really stinks at anything having to do with trails imo. Briones should be one of the go to places for all trail users since it is big and not all that well used, but instead they pull stuff like this. Feel free to post on their fb page.

There are so many bike riders in Briones that we probably outnumber the hikers. What most people don't realize is that sharing trails is fine for climbing but horrible for descending. We need a separation for the equestrians especially. I wish that they would support alternate paths down the mountain that are tailored to bike. It would resolve a lot of conflicts before they happen. Crockett hills is a good example of opening a trail and watching the people flood in. No one want to ride down a fireroad. Hank and Frank was one of the best trails in all of the surrounding area and I believe that it will rise again. Sucks that we have to be on the wrong side of the law when the majority of us want legal park maintained trail to ride. It's a big park and there are lots of users. Anyway I will continue to yield to horses and generally be the pleasant fun loving rider that promotes our awesome play ground.

mtbr memeber
    I see this thread started years ago, but I was there with a couple friends a few months ago and a couple un-uniformed (I think) guys on quads came riding up and felt the need to tell us that the only legal trails in the park are the fireroads, this when we were on a fireroad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Alex-I agree with you at certain times bikers are the biggest users. Unfortunately we are 3rd class citizens. Riding there every day I have met almost every local equestrian and most are nice people. Most agree the fire roads are poor by design with too many steep drops and numerous blind turns. Many of the equestrians won't traverse down many of the fire roads now due to the steepness and the fact there is some much loose powder. Trying to slow or stop in many areas is next to impossible.

I rarely ride weekends during the morning or day time due to the amount of park users.

Far and away the biggest issue I encounter there are the dog walkers. Many have multiple dogs off leash running in all directions, thankfully most don't walk far into the park

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    ..I was there with a couple friends a few months ago and a couple un-uniformed (I think) guys on quads...
    At that point I would've been back on the bike pedaling away. Unless you're in Uniform, even as Bike Patrol is, I got no reason to listen to you preach, especially given you were already on the fire road. All that screams is someone has too much free time on their hands and shouldn't have been on the quad out there when not in Uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Dad View Post
    ..Unfortunately we are 3rd class citizens. Riding there every day I have met almost every local equestrian and most are nice people. Most agree the fire roads are poor by design with too many steep drops and numerous blind turns...
    That. Solve that simple issue and setup a properly graded and maintainable fireroad and it'll solve most of their issues. Then let a couple bike specific access points open and you're golden.

We were golden and had a bike specific way down the mountain with almost no exposure to hikers/dogs/horses. They are spending tons of money shutting it down instead of improving it and making the park better for all users. I have been involved with several groups that tried to lobby the parks and also organized bike/horse rides so we could come together as park users. Even then we still have no voice. It's frustrating.
    Regarding the fire roads, that would require a huge investment given the steep terrain involved.
    The guys on quads were misinformed about legal single track there are several that we're allowed to ride and many more that they don't care about.

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921
    The guys on quads were misinformed about legal single track there are several that we're allowed to ride and many more that they don't care about.
    I had thought that from looking at a park map many years ago, but have not gotten around to re-researching it yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I noticed you guys re-posting to this thread so figured I'd ask. I've ridden cross in Briones on and off over the last few years (it's kind of terrible for it). I moved close to the park a year and a half ago and a few months ago, I got a mountain bike.

I've been exploring but have yet to find anything truly great. I know the bench drop and the routes that connect at the bottom of it, and down through Blue Oak. Of course I live on the opposite side of the park so it's a good workout getting there and back.

Sounds like a few of you spend a lot of time in the park -- where do you ride aside from the fire road? Is there anywhere else with decent single track in the park? Feel free to PM me if it's something you'd rather keep it quiet. I appreciate the help. I agree that there is a lot of potential in the park, but EBRPD are fun haters.

Anyone know of decent routes in Tilden/Wildcat? I've looked but found nothing so far. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good luck on getting responses as a first time poster. Any unnamed /mark trail in the EBPD is closed to any user. We keep shooting ourselves in foot by making trails and riding them on EBPD lands. I've talked to many of them ,they would like to build and open more trails but they see what they consider illegal, unsafe trails then think again. The red tape to build any trail is unbelivable.I've heard that Briones is a possible place for them to build some bike friendly trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Good point, I'm new so it probably looks like I am fishing. That was dumb -- mostly I've been lurking on here for equipment advice with easy enough to find answers.

I would think Crockett would be a good example to them. It's not even the best terrain/trails, but shows that there is demand for organized bike-specific use. If there are any good trails frequented in the East Bay (non EBPD as well), I appreciate a heads up! Strava isn't very useful for finding them unless there is a segment created.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish224 View Post
    I noticed you guys re-posting to this thread so figured I'd ask. I've ridden cross in Briones on and off over the last few years (it's kind of terrible for it). I moved close to the park a year and a half ago and a few months ago, I got a mountain bike.

I've been exploring but have yet to find anything truly great. I know the bench drop and the routes that connect at the bottom of it, and down through Blue Oak. Of course I live on the opposite side of the park so it's a good workout getting there and back.

Sounds like a few of you spend a lot of time in the park -- where do you ride aside from the fire road? Is there anywhere else with decent single track in the park? Feel free to PM me if it's something you'd rather keep it quiet. I appreciate the help. I agree that there is a lot of potential in the park, but EBRPD are fun haters.

Anyone know of decent routes in Tilden/Wildcat? I've looked but found nothing so far. Thanks!
    Nice try
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Nice try
    Unfortunately I was serious but I can see how that was dumb and suspicious.

jrm
    mtbr member
    The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay ( Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay - the second oldest mountain bike advocacy group in the United States) schedules monthly rides or all skill levels in the EBRPD and beyond.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish224 View Post
    Unfortunately I was serious but I can see how that was dumb and suspicious.
    Here's a tip for Briones. Locals like to put up gopro vids on youtube with the trail names. Usually they start the videos from the fire road right into the poached trails. Use strava to get the trail names. You'll prob want to put your mute on 'cause most of the videos that can help you find the trails have pretty shitty background music.

You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I went to ride Briones this morning and one of my favorite trails had a big wooden beam across the trail entrance looks like the rangers are serious this time, and Lime Ridge was fenced up too.. What happened to all the good trails?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I have been meaning to check out Briones for a long time, but when I get in a car for "local" riding I tend to head to Marin. Sounds like I may be too late.

However, where there is a will, there's a way. I've seen the promised land up in Whistler Valley -- an incredibly massive, mostly volunteer-built and -managed trail network where it would take nearly a month to ride (or walk) everything and a lifetime to master it. I believe things will get better here, eventually. Meanwhile, we gotta ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by g.fizzles View Post
    I went to ride Briones this morning and one of my favorite trails had a big wooden beam across the trail entrance looks like the rangers are serious this time, and Lime Ridge was fenced up too.. What happened to all the good trails?
    they're there. been riding briones for the past 15 years, poaching the whole time. only been stopped once by a cop right in front of the alhambra creek parking lot ten years ago because i took the sweet roller coaster ride that parallels the creek. you just gotta stay away from that one in my opinion because it's so heavily populated by hikers... proximity to the lot i'm sure. and really, i try not to upset people so that's the one i avoid. while we have to be intelligent and kind enough to not rally downhill on fire roads and heavily populated trails close to staging areas on weekends and holidays, most of the epic single track is not hiked much (if at all) and further away from the lots anyway. as for the head honchos and people who lobby to keep bikes on fire roads though? i could care less about their policy. i love briones dh's and if it comes to paying a ticket every once in a while (though i've never gotten one and i ride 2 or 3 times a week unless i'm taking a burnt-out break) i'd pay it and poach on the next ride. it's really not as bad as all the negative hype. and you know? eventually they're going to learn four things: 1 we're never going to stop riding the single tracks, 2 they can't catch all of us... they don't have the resources, 3 there's only going to be more and more of us riding and poaching until we have legal singletrack; the sport is just too popular and growing all the time, and 4, we're not bad people just because we ignore poor land management policy.

as for where those singletracks are? i'd say use the resources available to you and spend some time exploring random trails. they're there. i promise.
    have fun!
    Last edited by dirtyBob; 12-22-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0