Prescription sunglasses?- Mtbr.com
    (slight return)

Prescription sunglasses?

I've been riding with contacts for years but they have always bothered my eyes. I'm looking to switch to prescription sunglasses. Ideally I would like to get interchangeable lenses in clear/orange/black. What brands have you had good experiences with? I need a prescription up to -4.00.

Thanks!
    slide

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I've been using Oakleys for a few years (although I'm about to switch to some Smiths that I got on Steep and Cheap). I got transition lenses; they don't get super dark, but they've been perfect for everything from under the redwoods to above the tree line.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Cheeseburgler
    Get a pair from zennioptical.com. I have a couple pairs and they work great and are super cheap (like $75 a pair with polarized lenses). No interchangeable ones, but you could get several pairs for the price of a normal set of prescription glasses from your doctor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    if you have good vsp coverage, you can find the combo of opticians who take vsp + sell sports eyewear. i have a pair of oakleys purchased that way, though i'm not totally thrilled with them for fit reasons.

~~~
    Subscribed. I'm interested in checking out some prescription sunglasses, too.

I used to have all kinds of problems with contacts because my eyes are so dry. By the end of the ride, my head was pounding because of the two suction cups on my eyeballs. Then Accuvue came out with their Hydragel? Hydraclear? lenses, and they were super breathable. I use the daily disposables now, only for riding, and I take them out when I finish the ride. I do like contacts because I'm able to see without worrying about the tint on my glasses for varying light conditions, though.

Trail Blazer
    Try asking on optiboards.com forums. Lots of knowledgeable folks on there who will tell you what work and what doesn't with your prescription. Oakley, Smith, Rudy Project, and Wiley X are some brands that are more Rx friendly with their designs.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    The legit place that we tried is SportRx. My kid couldn't hit the ball for a while and we discovered he needed glasses. He got tested, size measured and we bought sunglasses after a phonecall with them. He got a $350 pair of Rudy Projects and a $70 generic pair of prescription glasses. He got better for baseball. Biking too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0zs7J610g some hitting last year with the Rudy Projects.

Then last year, he needed a stronger grade of lens, they had his glasses on file and sent the right ones after we ordered.

fc
    Last edited by fc; 10-08-2015 at 09:23 AM.
    IPA will save America

Cheesiest
    Rudy's and Smith's are both great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been thinking about switching to prescription sunglasses lately also. The combination of dust and dry Cali air destroy my contacts daily.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I alternate between contacts and a pair of Adidas sunglasses with photochromatic lenses. I like them, but they were pricey. Lenses can be swapped around on them, but I have only one pair of the prescription lenses.

The main issue with a relatively strong prescription is that manufacturing a wrap-around style, curved lens is difficult -- and these are the kind I prefer. Rudy Project, for example, won't make most of its collection for my prescription. The less expensive glasses tend towards the flat side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a pair of Smith Outlier that I really like.

mtbr member
    I've been using Bolle sunglasses with the prescription insert for 20 years now. Easy to switch between lens colors, only time they really suck is in foggy conditions in which you have two lens fogging up instead of one.

Inspector Gadget
    coastal dot com
    You can usually score two pair of glasses for $100. Sunglasses add a bit to that.

I do the brown lenses, I feel they do better with all the transitions from sunlight to shadows you encounter during a ride.

I like contacts... but I tend to be lazy and not wear eye protection with them. There was that one time a manzanita bush ripped a contact right of my eye on a night ride in BFE. Landed on my shirt, wheeeew
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

mtbr member
    I've been using my prescription Carrerra's. They work well but sometimes with certain tones of dirt, I have trouble picking up obstacles with the brown lenses.
    I would like to try a pair of transitions with a grey or amber tint lenses in a pair of Half Jackets. That way I can get multiple lenses.
    I'm having problems with my prescription though. I'll try the website mentioned above.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Best luck I've had has been with Smith frames. I highly recommend transitions; make sure, however, that you get a very high quality anti-scratch coating; for some reason the transition lenses I've had have been more prone to scratching than standard lenses.

As an alternative, just get plain brown. It works in varied lighting conditions.

I highly recommend brown over gray tint.

I'm currently running Oakleys and they don't work as well with a helmet as the Smiths did. I also very much liked clear/brown interchangeable smiths but that's 2 sets of lenses and you pay for one set out of pocket or wait a year.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Best luck I've had has been with Smith frames. I highly recommend transitions;
    _MK
    Do the transition lenses get totally clear at dark, i.e. good enough for night riding?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Do the transition lenses get totally clear at dark, i.e. good enough for night riding?
    Pretty much. Technically there is some residual tint but it's imperceptible. They look clear and effectively see through clear.

Just don't get the ones which tint in the car, those work different and don't fully clear up. Standard transitions are UV activated so don't tint in the car (which blows).

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I've been using Bolle sunglasses with the prescription insert for 20 years now. Easy to switch between lens colors, only time they really suck is in foggy conditions in which you have two lens fogging up instead of one.
    Performance a bike used to have a(may still have) a store branded version much lie these, but for less. I still use mine, even though the prescription is off a bit after many years.

My more recent ones have been Oakleys (switch blade or switchback or something like that). They have interchangeable lenses, but you'd have to pay to get each done in your prescription (which I did not do). And I didn't go the route of transitions for my sports glasses (do have for my daily wear glasses, which are also Oakley's). Likely not going to get Oakley's when I get my next set,though.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    I highly recommend transitions; make sure, however, that you get a very high quality anti-scratch coating; for some reason the transition lenses I've had have been more prone to scratching than standard lenses.

_MK
    +10000

Make sure you get a good Anti-reflective coating(not just anti scratch) on ANY pair of lenses you get. The best ones are hydrophobic, oleophobic, and warrant your lenses for scratches for 2 YEARS! I recommend Crizal Avance or Alize and Zeiss Purecoat.

If you go for a dedicated sunglass(non transition), I would recommend polarized lenses. Xperio polarized lenses come in many tints and have a built in anti-reflective coating on the backside of the lens(warrants front and back for scratches). Whatever you get, make sure you get a nice coating(ask about warranty!).

For transitions, I prefer the Xtractive version. It does not go completely clear indoors or at night. I like the slight tint for taking the edge off bright lights inside or at night riding home from work. YMMV

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    My transition lenses are fine for night riding, they are almost perfectly clear in the dark.