possible move to sac- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

possible move to sac

i might be moving to sac in the next couple months and was wondering how the local mountain biking was. i will probably be relocating to folsom. are there any local rides that i could leave from my doorstep to or is everything a car trip away? i know that there is some riding in the area but what are some of the good places to ride and is there any variety in the near area? also are there some good shops or am i going to become an internet shopper?

mtbr member

If I was moving to Sac or Folsom....

Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer
    but what are some of the good places to ride and is there any variety in the near area? also are there some good shops or am i going to become an internet shopper?
    I alway's said I would move closer to a trail head. That being the case, I would live in one of three area's:
    1.) Granite Bay: Ride all day and night on the trails. (Close to Auburn and Eldorado Hills)
    2.) El Dorado Hills: Salmon Falls. (Close to Granite Bay)
    3.) Auburn: What needs to be said about the trails here. (Close to Tahoe)

Bike Shop: CBE in Auburn

Good luck, jps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nothing out your back door unless you live at least 30 minutes from Folsom up in the foothills. The Auburn area would be best for that since there are riding opportunities year-round there. Even better would be Foresthill, but that's probably closer to a 45 minute commute to Folsom.

Where are you moving from? Do you realize how hot the summers are here?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i might be moving to sac in the next couple months and was wondering how the local mountain biking was. i will probably be relocating to folsom. are there any local rides that i could leave from my doorstep to or is everything a car trip away? i know that there is some riding in the area but what are some of the good places to ride and is there any variety in the near area? also are there some good shops or am i going to become an internet shopper?
    Folsom is getting to be a pretty large town, so it depends on where you live in Folsom as to how far you are to the trails. From where I live, I have about a 10 min road ride to some fairly mellow single track around the lake. Salmon Falls is about a 15 minute drive, and Auburn ravine ~40 min. For an extended trip, South Shore Lake Tahoe is about 1&1/2 hours. Drop me a line if you need any more info on Folsom, or if you want to hits some trails when you get here.

mtbr member

thanks for the help

im moving from the santa rosa area. it gets a litttle warn here but not like sac. ive spent a few summers up in chico so i think i get the idea. the move is 90% for late oct. it sounds like all the good riding is just a few minutes away by car or some easier local loops with a little road ride is possible. im looking near a buddies house for some rental homes or town houses. i think it is near Glenn ave. i am familiar with the cbe as a local as shop as it is mine here in rohnert park. i would love to come up and check out some of the riding, just got to find some time. getting married in early oct. if you have anything else about the local riding scene and etc. i would love to hear it.

mtbr member

anything else?

is there anything else i should be aware of?

Happy as a little girrrrl
    is there anything else i should be aware of?
    I grew up in Sac, and in my opinion, it's a great family type place to live. There is enough to keep you busy yet you'll be just a short drive from anywhere else you want to go (Bay Area, Tahoe, Yosemite etc). If you buy a house, check out the possible flood zones first. Don't know exactly where in Sac you plan on living, but Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, El Dorado, Shingle Springs etc. are nice and newer areas to live. If you like golfing, there are TONS of courses in the immediate area. Hmmm...what else....oh yeah...become a Kings fan and be sure to check out a Rivercats game!

P.S. Traffic on 50 and 80 really sucks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnbald1
    I grew up in Sac, and in my opinion, it's a great family type place to live. There is enough to keep you busy yet you'll be just a short drive from anywhere else you want to go (Bay Area, Tahoe, Yosemite etc). If you buy a house, check out the possible flood zones first. Don't know exactly where in Sac you plan on living, but Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, El Dorado, Shingle Springs etc. are nice and newer areas to live. If you like golfing, there are TONS of courses in the immediate area. Hmmm...what else....oh yeah...become a Kings fan and be sure to check out a Rivercats game!

P.S. Traffic on 50 and 80 really sucks.
    Agree. All of the places listed above are either in the foothills or bordering them, so you are closer to most of the good riding and all that the Sierras offer, e.g. snowbording, skiing, etc. If you are moving to Folsom (or anywhere in Sac), the place is growing like crazy, along with the housing prices. If you can afford it, buy a house, condo, whatever you can get your hands on. PM me if you want the full low-down, I'd be happy to give you the 'dirt'.