Poison Oak Prevails (OT --- rash content.. no pics)- Mtbr.com

No good Poison Oak Prevails (OT --- rash content.. no pics)

Had big plans for Baycat's GG Bridge to beer ride... New 29er gets to go on maiden voyage, put on some miles in preparation for the 24HOA... Descend Eldridge to beer and food and relax on the ferry back to SF.

Got a little p.o. from a night excursion on wednesday.
    coupla spots on my leg and around me knee an dinner thigh... a little spot on my neck... Sucks, but no biggie.

Was getting the bike ready last night and started scratching my knee, "Hands-off" i thought. didn't want to make it worse.

11pm... Get ready for bed and checked out the knee... Rash was spreading. time for calamine. itching subsided and time to crash.

1AM woke up to my fingernails raking both legs... rash on left knee full blown. Knee is swollen and looking bad. left knee getting worse. rash is creeping up thigh. I think, "dear God no! Please tell me I did not stop to take a leak on that ride wednesday!"

Next several hours are spent dozing briefly and waking up to scratching, applying rubbing alcohol, cortaid and calamine. finally get some sleep.

wake up what feels like 15 minutes later... 8:30am just in time to call 8Track and ask him to inform others of my bail-out.

crash out for another 15 minutes. get up and soak in epson salt bath...

While all you guys and gals are out on your bikes today. I am cleaning house and applying calamine. still thinking of taking a spin, but man this sucks... Just like a rainy day, but with the sun out

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You don't need to suffer, unless you're into that

Go to the drugstore and buy a tube of Zanfel. It costs about $30, but it's worth it. Apply it and the itch is gone within 3 minutes or less. Usually one application is all you'll need. The rash goes away more quickly, too.

The stuff makes PO a non issue.

enter and win
    Dennis, you're not alone. It sucks to be us. I have the worstest cold in 3 years and just screamed at a lacrosse game. My bikes all sit there happily wagging, ride me ride me while I struggle to breathe! It will get better! If you DO ride, where's it gonna be? My schwinn cruiser keeps me at a nice slow breathing snotful pace.....lemme know.. bb

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    You don't need to suffer, unless you're into that

Go to the drugstore and buy a tube of Zanfel. It costs about $30, but it's worth it. Apply it and the itch is gone within 3 minutes or less. Usually one application is all you'll need. The rash goes away more quickly, too.

The stuff makes PO a non issue.
    I'm off tho Walgreens!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

Tecnu

Tecnu after a ride, Tecnu in the shower, Tecnu is your friend, your buddy, your significant other. Without Tecnu you are nothing, without you Tecnu is nothing. The two of you together are invincible.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I feel your pain. Well, kind of. I at least have sympathy and had a crappy day myself. My nasty cold made me bail out in the middle of a planned 125 mi. ride today. Just didn't have the legs. Got 70 miles in, but I'm really pissed off I couldn't do the whole thing. ANGRY!

PO really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really sucks. I'm sorry you have it.

Zanfel does help a bit for me. It gets rid of the itching, but I need to reapply once in the morning and once at night. It helps the rash heal quicker, but only if I catch it early; if I don't realize I've got PO early, it doesn't seem to do much except help with the itch. If I had a rash as bad as yours sounds, I'd head for M.D. and beg for steroids. Then I'd alter my consciousness with... um... "alternative" pharmaceuticals until the 'roids kicked in.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    yup...PO Sux!! That's why today after my ride (rode a trail that is pretty infested with the vicious weeds) I showered/washed with Tecnu! I rather be safe than sorry...

Slowest Rider

Sucks to not ride today

After all the rain, it especially sucks to be down on a great sunny day like today.

I've got some sort of cold that's got all my muscles and joints hurting, and me staggering around semiconscious like a zombie. Felt it a little on the ride with Zorg last weekend. I keep thinking it's going away, only to find the next day that it's only very wishful thinking.

But I'm SURE I'll be getting in a little ride tomorrow morning (unless it's wishful thinking).

Sorry about the PO. It seems PO is one of the bad hazards of MTB, along with clavicle fractures.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

me and PO go way back. I always get it this time of year... not always this bad. night and am are the worst.

I also have lots of experience with technu and as of late, Ivy Block. Both fantastic products that probably keep my outbreaks to a minimum.
    I had no idea of my exposure. It happened on a night ride. If I don't see it it's not there right?

At least I am getting out of the way early. Now I'll be mindful of PO until this time next year when I get it again.

Sorry for all of the colds going around. I hope you all feel better soon.

jrm
    mtbr member

That just means

that the maiden voyage will that much better. PO. sucks...good luck with it....

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    Had big plans for Baycat's GG Bridge to beer ride...
    Boy that sucks - PO's no joke. I got it bad from the first SOC pre ride this year at Planet Ord and thankfully haven't gotten it since. I know now that I said that, I'm going to get it bad on Tuesday night.

I'm not riding today either. I've spent the day taking care of wifey and the new little girl. Better than PO or a cold! (but still not riding)
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Boy that sucks - PO's no joke. I got it bad from the first SOC pre ride this year at Planet Ord and thankfully haven't gotten it since. I know now that I said that, I'm going to get it bad on Tuesday night.

I'm not riding today either. I've spent the day taking care of wifey and the new little girl. Better than PO or a cold! (but still not riding)
    Congratulations Big Daddy Danger! (on the new daughter that is)

Feeling a little taller
    Congratulations Big Daddy Danger! (on the new daughter that is)
    Thanks! and good luck on getting over the PO!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Paper or plastic?
    me and PO go way back. I always get it this time of year... not always this bad. night and am are the worst.

I also have lots of experience with technu and as of late, Ivy Block. Both fantastic products that probably keep my outbreaks to a minimum.
    I had no idea of my exposure. It happened on a night ride. If I don't see it it's not there right?

At least I am getting out of the way early. Now I'll be mindful of PO until this time next year when I get it again.

Sorry for all of the colds going around. I hope you all feel better soon.
    Sounds like you can add Tecnu and Ivy Block to your list of things to bring to the 24hoa. Cause PO or not, you're riding first!!

Seriously, sorry that you missed on a good ride. The good thing is that the season is just starting and there will be plenty more good rides to go on.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

JFR
    mtbr member
    Technu immediately after the ride to help wash the oils off.

Zanfel (zanfel.com) if a rash develops.

I too have been a long time sufferer of the p.o.; Zanfel changed my life.

aka baycat
    dennis sorry to hear about the PO, you missed one killer (literally) of a ride. One section of the trail had some, so I am hoping I dont get it.

Technu-ed a lot when I got home!

Heal up quick!

Ryan

Members who have read this thread: 0