Not helpful.

Is this poison oak?

Friends have this small plant at their house and want to educate the grandkids on what oak looks like before they eradicate it.

What do you think, is it oak?

Is this poison oak?-20180708_165953.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this poison oak?-picsart_07-08-05.10.57.jpg  

What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, for sure. Or maybe poison ivy. One of the two, for sure.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Not Poison Ivy, possibly Poison Oak

Name:  EA428522-4366-4B4B-8E73-BCDF4C4403C0.jpeg
Views: 755
Size:  42.6 KB
    Poison Ivy

Is this poison oak?-ae2ac22a-16e2-4c03-b524-513780a85974.jpeg
    Poison Oak
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Cycologist
    Send it to Picard and have him rub it on his crotch and report back.

Some would say that could be accomplished in a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thatís the stuff. Nice and shiny, oily. Nasty stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Exterminate! Exterminate!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Leaves of three, let it be.

Elitest thrill junkie
    This isn't, but you do not want it.

Name:  GiantCowParsnip.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  57.7 KB
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Not helpful.
    ???
    What's wrong with him??

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    ???
    What we deal with up North:

Pics from one of the participants in a race I competed in last year. Mine wasn't anywhere near this bad, but I still got some. Heck, I just got some doing weed wacking on the local trails last week. Seems just a bit harder to get than PO, but once you get it it's every bit as bad, in some slightly different ways. Generally, I think it's not as well understood and it's extremely under-rated. There isn't nearly as much info on it. The scar remains for months after, that's one of the big differences.

Is this poison oak?-20664083_1628547783887180_4471439681813734937_n.jpg

Is this poison oak?-20664510_1628547780553847_2955155626958759665_n.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This isn't, but you do not want it.

Name:  GiantCowParsnip.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  57.7 KB
    Hemlock? Most toxic plant in N. America.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Hemlock? Most toxic plant in N. America.
    Whatever it is, we call it Cow Parsnip and the other name it goes by is Pushki.

Heracleum maximum, cow parsnip (also known as Indian celery, Indian rhubarb or pushki.

The prevalence is staggering, it's all over the place, lining the trails. This is one reason we cut back the trails so much. Nice to not have to worry about ticks and other little buggers here like sneks, but this sucks when you get it on you.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Whatever it is, we call it Cow Parsnip and the other name it goes by is Pushki.

Heracleum maximum, cow parsnip (also known as Indian celery, Indian rhubarb or pushki.

The prevalence is staggering, it's all over the place, lining the trails. This is one reason we cut back the trails so much. Nice to not have to worry about ticks and other little buggers here like sneks, but this sucks when you get it on you.
    Maybe read up on poison hemlock. You don't want to confuse cow parsnip with hemlock.

Leaves of three, let it be, or walk right through it and take a pee.
    Itís been done.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Itís been done.
    .....but not by me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That one is Giant Hogweed.

Iím not great at identity of young poison oak. Young English ivy fools me sometimes
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

.....but not by me!
    Lol

A friend of mine I used to ride with in San Diego used to get P.O. all the time. I rode the same trails on the same days and never got it, and Iíve never gotten P.O. Although back east as a kid in upstate NY, I used to get Poison Ivy all the time. Havenít had it since I was a kid.

The friend I was referring to that would get P.O. all the time had a unique remedy. He said it was the only thing that would help it. He poured non deluded bleach directly on it, a day later heíd be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A friend of mine I used to ride with in San Diego used to get P.O. all the time. I rode the same trails on the same days and never got it, and Iíve never gotten P.O. Although back east as a kid in upstate NY, I used to get Poison Ivy all the time. Havenít had it since I was a kid.

The friend I was referring to that would get P.O. all the time had a unique remedy. He said it was the only thing that would help it. He poured non deluded bleach directly on it, a day later heíd be good.
    I've gotten it a few times in San Diego. Most of our trails are too dry, but if your in a shaded area near a water source it's possible to find. On my current rides I see it: extensively in Gonzales open space, near the pond in deer valley outside of DMM, a couple sprigs in Hodges, bottom of elfin near creek.

If I think I hit some I keep a bottle of dish soap in the shower and use it generously. My understanding is if I get the oil off my skin I'm good to go.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    I saw an article, seems like it was on this site, that said the key to getting the oil off is friction, you need a wash cloth and to scrub the areas and rinse well. Then probably throw away the washcloth.

I'm not affected much by poison ivy, usually just if I have some cuts where I contact it, which I often do as we have lots of blackberry that likes to pop up everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    That one is Giant Hogweed.

Iím not great at identity of young poison oak. Young English ivy fools me sometimes
    yeah giant hogweed is killer

cow parsnips (ordinary hogweed) are bad too, but giant hogweed is worse

it is phototoxic
    makes you super photosensitive, so a lot of the damage is if you are in the sun, you burn right the hell up....like 3rd degree burns from ANY ordinary sunshine or UV light
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    yeah giant hogweed is killer

cow parsnips (ordinary hogweed) are bad too, but giant hogweed is worse

it is phototoxic
    makes you super photosensitive, so a lot of the damage is if you are in the sun, you burn right the hell up....like 3rd degree burns from ANY ordinary sunshine or UV light
    i work with plant biologist. that plant is marching across the country. it is on the watchlist here.

who the eff would have even brought it over.."hey, honey! this would look divine in our frontyard. it would add some softness to that hard angle wall over there by the picture window"

i cant imagine it coming here in a planter box.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

jms
    mtbr member
    Poison Oak's botanical name is Toxicodendron diversiloba for a reason - it's leaves can take on many different shapes and it's toxic. Taxonomically, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac are all one in the same.

My sympathies to all that are susceptible to it's "charms".
    My Favorite Peeps:

Elitest thrill junkie
    We have a discussion going on the local mtb facebook page about the Cow Parsnip.

This was one person's comments:
    I have scars all over from Cow Parsnip 8 years ago. It can react to sun up to 2 weeks after you touch it. I rode Russian River and Crescent Lake then 2 days later flew to a hot sunny state and blistered all over my legs and arms, and for 3 weeks I looked like a 3rd degree burn victim.
    On the other hand, I was hosting a guy up here from Portland for a few rides and he was telling me during the ride: "I think I might have gotten Cow Parsnip, this is a little itchy..."...lol. He got a little paranoid about it and it was a bit comical. It's harder to get than PO and you won't know it for a few days usually. It's just that when you do, it can be baaad.

psycho cyclo addict

So one question- do you use a washcloth in the show after a ride? ~90% of the possibility of getting a skin rash from these things can easily be scrubbed away a few hours after a ride by simply using soap and a washcloth.

Watch out where the Huskies go and don't wipe with green leaves (or eat yellow snow LOL)...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Oak???
    IPA will save America

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Friends have this small plant at their house and want to educate the grandkids on what oak looks like before they eradicate it.

What do you think, is it oak?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180708_165953.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	1207247
    I dont really think this is oak. if you compare it to the picture dirtjunkie posted the leaves have much larger and fewer lobed margins and the veins are much flatter and smoother. it could just be the difference between young and mature poison oak but I think we have a plant that looks pretty similar because a lot of people seem to talk about how they are super sensitive and just rode through a bunch of the above but never get a rash because of their cleanup routine. doesnt matter what your cleanup routine is if its an hour later - you will get a reaction if exposed. i would really love to identify the lookalike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    I dont really think this is oak. if you compare it to the picture dirtjunkie posted the leaves have much larger and fewer lobed margins and the veins are much flatter and smoother. it could just be the difference between young and mature poison oak but I think we have a plant that looks pretty similar because a lot of people seem to talk about how they are super sensitive and just rode through a bunch of the above but never get a rash because of their cleanup routine. doesnt matter what your cleanup routine is if its an hour later - you will get a reaction if exposed. i would really love to identify the lookalike
    As brought out by JMS, PO can look vastly different from plant to plant.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Oak???
    Whyyyyyyy???????
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Definitely oak. It looks different in the photos above because poison oak has different stages. I have poison oak right now. I got it where my knee pads were, behind the knee. Not sure how that happened but it has happened many times in places I was covered up. The stuff is powerful and might be able to zap through pads and clothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    This might be your experience, but I didn't really notice mine until a day later. My skin is not very sensitive to irritants though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Over it
    Jun 2010
    jms hit the nail. P.0. is a great imitator. But other plants have "leaves of three", e.g., blackberries.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    jms hit the nail. P.0. is a great imitator. But other plants have "leaves of three", e.g., blackberries.
    And wild blackberries are the BEST [next to a ripe Thimbleberry]!
    My Favorite Peeps:

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I nibbled on a few thimbleberries in Nisene today! The best blackberries I ever had on a ride were on Alpine-Tire Mountain-Cloverpatch (which I'm pretty sure you've sampled).
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-10-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

jms
    mtbr member

Oregon Berries

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I nibbled on a few thimbleberries in Nisene today! The best blackberries I ever had on a ride were on Alpine-Tire Mountain-Cloverpatch.
    Oh yeah! All the Oregon berries are the best....and the PO and mosquitoes are the worst!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this poison oak?-fullsizeoutput_cc.jpg  

My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yikes. Didnít know about Cow Parsnip. Another thing to worry about.

Iíve been watching PCT videos, and just learned about Poodle Dog Bush.
    (Rampant in so cal desert areas after a fire).
    Actually sounds worse than Poison Oak....if thatís possible.

Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    So one question- do you use a washcloth in the show after a ride? ~90% of the possibility of getting a skin rash from these things can easily be scrubbed away a few hours after a ride by simply using soap and a washcloth.

Watch out where the Huskies go and don't wipe with green leaves (or eat yellow snow LOL)...
    A bit late to this response.

The answer is no, Iíve never been a washcloth type. My hands do the washing just fine. Iíve just never gotten P.O. even though Iíve obviously ridden through it and often. Poison Ivy I got as a kid back east all the time. But I moved out west in my mid teens and I donít think Iíve ever been around it since because, never got it since.

Nice Zappa tribute.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    A good rule of thumb is if it has any thorns, you're good and it's just some kind of blackberry bush or wild strawberry.

I'm pretty allergic to it, and have had it on over 90% on my body before back in college. Because of that, I keep Technu in the car, which is essentially mineral oils with lotions and will break down the oil on contact. When I see it on the trails i just rub some on where it might have had contact, and throw those clothes in the wash. While backpacking I've been forced to tread through knee high PO and just using Technu on everything after my trip prevented a full on catastrophe. This only works if the oil hasn't bound to your skin yet.

For those that do contract it, I was skeptical but Zanfel worked pretty damn well at clearing it up 3x faster that normal when I do get little patches of the rash.

The upside to how dusty Bay Area trails get is they coat the poison oak with a nice protective layer haha.

mtbr member
    This Spring I got poison oak for the first time in my life. Previously I had stood in the stuff without ever getting a rash. This time massive weeping patches of goo. My truck now includes a poison oak station: 5-gallon handheld sprayer bungeed to the bed, washcloth, towel, Dawn. Scrub down after most every ride now. Scrubbing with the washcloth is the key.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    IPA will save America