mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Pliny the Younger is just about here

Feb 2nd.

Ill hit the place up Monday afternoon. It’s fun event. Curious how the beer will be this year.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yessiree, Bob!
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

mtbr member
    Is Younger still a thing?
    There’s so many other triple IPAs on the market now, many of them just as good, if not better than Younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Over it
    Jun 2010
    PtY is the phantom pain of beer. You shouldn't feel anything when you hear about it, but once a year there's still a familiar pang for some folks.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Haha yes please everyone go to Santa Rosa and camp for hours for a triple ipa. Im comforted knowing Moonraker has plenty of better stuff with slightly less pretentious long lines lmao. Yeah they beat RR last yr for best xxxipa. Let us all know how fun it was waiting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    There’s so many other triple IPAs on the market now, many of them just as good, if not better than Younger.

its like time stands still for the pty fan boys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'd never go wait in line for it, but I enjoy tasting the Younger every year.

There's plenty of bars that will be getting their keg of it.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I'd never go wait in line for it, but I enjoy tasting the Younger every year.

There's plenty of bars that will be getting their keg of it.
    its no different it sells out in 30 minutes - but yah plenty of places get it. Im just not gonna leave work or drop what im doing to hope i get a taste

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Hey, I'd hit it. It hasn't been that awesome the last 3-4 years. But it's worth a taste when the stars align.

Greatest beer marketing stunt evarrrrrr.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    it certainly isn't for the "get off my lawn" types. that's why they dont MAKE you go, and there are other beer out there.

it is the most polarizing beer. no beer generates more discussion

i have people on the other side of the goddamn country telling me it is stupid to stand in line..what's stupid is someone on the other side of the godamn country having an opinion.

there is stuff i dont like or care about..i dont even participate in the conversation.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    its no different it sells out in 30 minutes
    If you pick the right bars, it's doesn't have to be that way. No lines, no hype, and often they would still be pouring from the keg on the next night. Sure, Toronado is a mad house, but there's places within 10 minutes of there where it's quiet and it's not a big deal.

Now that I live in the East Bay, it's the same thing. As I recall last year, the bar I went to said they were tapping their keg at 4:30. And yeah, there were maybe 20 or so extra people in bar that came for the Younger, but still no lines, no rush... that keg probably flowed all night.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    This:

Pliny the Younger is just about here-img_3136.jpg

No wait. So Good!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    it certainly isn't for the "get off my lawn" types. that's why they dont MAKE you go, and there are other beer out there.

it is the most polarizing beer. no beer generates more discussion

i have people on the other side of the goddamn country telling me it is stupid to stand in line..what's stupid is someone on the other side of the godamn country having an opinion.

there is stuff i dont like or care about..i dont even participate in the conversation.
    Agreed. I don't see why we have to shit on each other's tastes. If you like another beer better, don't stand in line for Younger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Agreed. I don't see why we have to shit on each other's tastes. If you like another beer better, don't stand in line for Younger.
    if you're there when i'm there..beer is on me.

maybe wear a white carnation in your hair so i know who you are
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Hella Olde
    My corner store in SF has Modern Times Mega Blazing World. They don't even know what it is! I'm set for now.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Haha yes please everyone go to Santa Rosa and camp for hours for a triple ipa. Im comforted knowing Moonraker has plenty of better stuff with slightly less pretentious long lines lmao. Yeah they beat RR last yr for best xxxipa. Let us all know how fun it was waiting.
    Jelly. Moonraker is soooooo good!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yeah, i'm good with Field Work & Alvarado St. down here all day with no lines........
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Lusus Naturae
    Yep, exactly. Fortunately for me,taste buds are different now and I am not big on any triples and pliny the elder is pretty bland.

EVERYONE ABOARD THE HAZY TRAIN! ITS TIME TO BADONKA-DANK THIS PLACE!

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I want some of that caboose action! I live down the street from Clandestine in San Ho and they just came out with their 2nd dIPA (dank). I'm hooked.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

fc
    Finding and searching for Younger is much harder than finding normal Pliny. It's simply NOT worth it for most.
    Last edited by fc; 01-29-2018 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post

It is still that good. I really want to not like it that much, but I have to admit that last year's version was the bomb

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I remember last year having essence of guava. At least that is what I tasted. The year before was more my jam.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    local taprooms and breweries have capitalized on this "event". Local Barrel on Mendocino Ave. typically get several double and triple IPA's in for the expected overflow.

Henhouse will have their triple - Big Chicken.

I'll have to find out if Trailhouse will get a keg of younger since they typically have a lot of RR beers on tap.

Annadel continues to dry out, but a bit muddy yesterday for anyone wanting to ride before drinkin'.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post

I'll have to find out if Trailhouse will get a keg of younger since they typically have a lot of RR beers on tap.
    I was thinking the same thing. I haven't asked anyone at TH though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post

Annadel continues to dry out, but a bit muddy yesterday for anyone wanting to ride before drinkin'.
    i was gonna ride yesterday, right up until my wife handed me a box, with a brand new dog-door in it. on the brightside, my dog loves it!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Gonna try to get out this afernoon. I'm still hopeful that this cloud cover will burn off.

fc
    It's today. It's today.

It's all over the TV news. People been camped out since last night! 11am opening.
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    It's here. The line started forming yesterday afternoon. Luckily it was a warm and dry night for those who camped.

Edit: The Gate just published a list of places that are scheduled to get a keg or two: Plinywatch 2018: Where you might find Russian River's Pliny the Younger in SF and Oakland - SFGate

mtbr member
    All these great alternatives need to thank RRBC for PtY paving the way. Yup, missing the days of cutting work to ride Annadel, then 0-15 minute wait at the brewery.

That said... Thanks RRBC, pass me a Moonraker..

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah View Post
    All these great alternatives need to thank RRBC for PtY paving the way. Yup, missing the days of cutting work to ride Annadel, then 0-15 minute wait at the brewery.

For sure, pay homage. In the beer revolution, there are a few forward thinkers. This movement has allowed many, many jobs and has given many towns, cities, the US to create a very viable product.
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah View Post

Indeed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    ohhh....

somebody dim the lights..
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Did that work out okay? ...except for today, obviously.

Traditionally, Superblow is a good time to Younger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Did that work out okay? ...except for today, obviously.

Traditionally, Superblow is a good time to Younger.
    it did.. still a 3 hour wait..but we made lots of friends. cant be sure, but i think we got an invite to Norway...and S Korea.

what didnt work out was befriending the bartender. that fourth Younger was the straw, and my head was the camel's back. i dont think we paid for four each. it all got kinda confusing. heheh.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    it did.. still a 3 hour wait..but we made lots of friends. cant be sure, but i think we got an invite to Norway...and S Korea.

what didnt work out was befriending the bartender. that fourth Younger was the straw, and my head was the camel's back. i dont think we paid for four each. it all got kinda confusing. heheh.
    Yes! You've been Pliny'd.

Ya know, people can complain about the line all they want. It's all part of the event. I've done it, but never for more than an hour and we have met the nicest people in line.

fc

How was it? Anything special this year. They've been lackluster the last 4 years.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i thought this year was reminiscent of the two years before. it was damn good. had that perfect bitter/sweet thing. they told me it was 1% less in ABV. i dont know..it tasted boozy like all of the ones i had before. it didnt have such a big tropical fruity thing going like last year. kinda like hints of guava.

i'm gonna end it here, and stop drinking for the foreseeable future. (i'll try. i didnt have a beer for two before this, and didnt really miss anything. felt richer too)
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i thought this year was reminiscent of the two years before. it was damn good. had that perfect bitter/sweet thing. they told me it was 1% less in ABV. i dont know..it tasted boozy like all of the ones i had before. it didnt have such a big tropical fruity thing going like last year. kinda like hints of guava.

i'm gonna end it here, and stop drinking for the foreseeable future. (i'll try. i didnt have a beer for two before this, and didnt really miss anything. felt richer too)
    Drinking it right now at the Bistro. Not ad splendid as last year's. Less fruity more harsh and boozy

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

jrm
    mtbr member
    I highly recommend checking out the drakes hopocalypse black IIIPA.

fc
    4-7 hour wait is the report at the brewery on Friday.

At least the weather's good.
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I know this is late, but as I expected, the Trail House had a keg on Thursday and the Blue Heron in Duncan's Mills had a keg on Friday. I understand the Trail House keg lasted about two and a half hours and the Blue's keg lasted most of the night. I went to neither.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Hey, That Guy Got Cuts! ;)

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    damn. the thought to give up the winning position never crossed my selfish A-hole mind if i won...i hope my wife would have slapped me to it.

thanks for posting up that awesome story. (and the life lesson )
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    great story. the usual big line this morning. when is the last day they serve?

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Another Nice Story About RRBC

I saw a FB post about RRBC, the hype, better beers elsewhere, lines, yada, yada, yada. Then I saw a post from a guy... (I'll just copy and paste)

"Mike Owen
    Two years ago I had a friend who had stage 4 cancer and had never had Pliny the Younger or even Elder. I left a msg on the machine at RRBC explaining that my friend would love to try “Younger” but didn’t have the strength to wait for hours.

To my surprise a manager called me and arranged for us to visit without waiting. Eight months later my friend passed away but I will never forget the kind way they treated us and how delighted my friend was to be sipping Pliny the Younger!!

The beer is actually sensational, the pizza is delicious and I will ALWAYS be a fan of RRBC because they value this community and we value THEM. "

It's sometimes more than just the beer, folks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    damn..

humanity. it's kinda nice!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Just had a fresh pour today and it was good. Not wait in line for hours good, but still worth ditching work early.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    I heard from a little bunny that some may be coming to my area. I would like to get my lips on a glass to see what it is all about and also check another beer off the beer bucket list.