Please give Santa Cruz trails a breather- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Please give Santa Cruz trails a breather

First, I'm not scolding anyone. I don't wanna be 'that guy'. This current blast of rain just raises the alarm where trail conditions are concerned.

It's become fairly routine now to see a mass of cars filling up the Rincon dirt lot and taking up every available space along highway 9 once the rain stops, with everyone eager to jump on what they think are tacky trails. After the last downpour I'd see countless riders and their bikes covered in mud after rides. Most of us who live in Santa Cruz avoid the trails when they get sloppy, so I'm asking those of you who make the trek over 17 to please consider giving the trails a break when things get muddy. Think of every deep rut you carve as a scar on the trails that takes a very long time to heal. Not to mention the drainage issues it creates and the erosion that becomes more apparent in the spring and summer.

Much obliged.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    +1 for this!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i would add give all trails a breather after this rain! good time to put in "fitness" miles on fireroads or the road/gravel bike. plenty of time to ride once the rain stops!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Honestly I don't even see the appeal. Spinning wheels while trying to climb, skidding off the trail, way more bike washing time, etc.

There will be really fun fast trails soon enough

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Indeed. All trails.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    i would add give all trails a breather after this rain! good time to put in "fitness" miles on fireroads or the road/gravel bike. plenty of time to ride once the rain stops!

Moderator Moderator
    Good time for some trail work.

mtbr member
    Well said all! - agree with all of the above

I couldn't agree more about not seeing the appeal of riding in the sloppy mud - not only is it not really that fun, but it's super sketchy and totally destroys your bike and takes forever to clean

Having said that, I am shocked how often I'll see a report or hear somebody say how perfect the conditions are, and then see their bike is totally covered in peanut butter mud or go check it out for myself and it is a mess

Haud yer wheesht!
    Hogan in fine shape, and virtually no mud.

If you're desperate to ride, the drive might be worth it for you!
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Hogan in fine shape, and virtually no mud.

If you're desperate to ride, the drive might be worth it for you!
    I seen weird spiders at Hogan, and don't get me started on the locals! Fort Ord on the other hand is prime for the taking!
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I seen weird spiders at Hogan, and don't get me started on the locals! Fort Ord on the other hand is prime for the taking!
    I've seen weirder ones @Ft Ord....go visit Finch!🤪👍😎
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    FS: Ripley V4 medium frame

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I've seen weirder ones @Ft Ord....go visit Finch!🤪👍😎
    lmfao, touchť...

Fort Ord sucks anyways, don't ride there.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member
    good time to do some trailwork no?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Agree.

Please dont ride immediately after a rain like this and then post pic about how the ride was great, condition was awesome, you were the only one out there except one or two hikers... There is a reason not much people are riding, and agree, the bike covered in heavy mud is not a sign the trail is ready. This is one pic the hikers will use against us. Wait it out or go ride road...

Is seriously ruining the trail unless you are at Mission Peak or Kennedy.

Out spokin'
    Right on, yíall. Meanwhile if you insist on riding in the mud, címon up to Oregon or Washington where we ride in mud 7-8 months of the year. Most amazing: the trails heal wonderfully during the other 4-5 months. I donít know why or how, but itís true. Bring tights & fenders.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yes please, the trails are not in good condition and theyíre getting wrecked. Seems like theyíre really not drying out after the last bit of rain too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Right on, yíall. Meanwhile if you insist on riding in the mud, címon up to Oregon or Washington where we ride in mud 7-8 months of the year. Most amazing: the trails heal wonderfully during the other 4-5 months. I donít know why or how, but itís true. Bring tights & fenders.
    =sParty
    It's all about soil conditions. Some places ride fine in the wet. Others, not so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Actually, you'll find a fair amount of people riding in Santa Cruz after big rains. The SC mountains get a lot more rain than other parts of the Bay Area. You might see .25 inches in San Jose, while we can 4 inches in the mountains during the same period. So people coming from around the Bay Area assume it's not bad here, when in fact it's quite muddy. Yet they still ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Agree.

Please dont ride immediately after a rain like this and then post pic about how the ride was great, condition was awesome, you were the only one out there except one or two hikers... There is a reason not much people are riding, and agree, the bike covered in heavy mud is not a sign the trail is ready. This is one pic the hikers will use against us. Wait it out or go ride road...

Is seriously ruining the trail unless you are at Mission Peak or Kennedy.

mtbr member

Formerly dvo
    Please give Santa Cruz trails a breather-screen-shot-2020-01-16-6.18.25-pm.jpg

Looks like about 2", to me that means sand on Saturday and selected favorites on Sunday.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Yep. I have similar plans. It's all about location, location, and, uh, I always forget the other factor.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

mtbr member
    Anyone have a status report on Demo?

I'm looking at Sunday...before it rains again next week...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Flow is going to be totally boned. Segment 5 and 6 was closed last week due to mud, and they got a buttload of rain this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    =sParty
    As a kid growing up riding a stingray in the orchards around San Jose, we relished those times riding in the rain and mud, getting squirrelly, coming home drenched and covered with mud....and the biggest smile on our faces before getting yelled at to "get out of the house with those clothes on!!" Good times.
    That hasn't changed for me. My most memorable rides are still in the rain and mud....brings out the kid in me 50 years later.....