Pleasanton Ridge - where to start- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pleasanton Ridge - where to start

So, I'm bailing early from work today since it's nice and I'm going to ride Pleasanton Ridge which I've never done.
    According to the maps it looks like I can pick up the trail right in downtown Sunol - is this correct?
    Anyone familiar with where to start/park?

Thanks

-Rich

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims
    So, I'm bailing early from work today since it's nice and I'm going to ride Pleasanton Ridge which I've never done.
    According to the maps it looks like I can pick up the trail right in downtown Sunol - is this correct?

Thanks

-Rich
    MTBR Trail Review
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Old School

Thanks

-Rich
    Dan pointed you to the trail review section that describes the starting location on Foothill Rd. Just start from there. When you finish, please post the trail conditions.

Thanks!

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Photos would be great!

mtbr member
    Perhaps a wild flower report as well.

mtbr member
    Well, it looked like there was an entrance in Sunol, but I couldn't find it so we drove to the Foothill entrance.

Trail is in good condition. Dry but a little rutted up from cattle and erosion in some areas. Some of those cows really don't want to get outta the way!
    All in all a great day for a ride. The weather was perfect and from the top the view was amazing!

There were several hikers and as we were coming back down, we passed about a dozen people headed up on bikes in groups of 2-3

Took some pics, but left the camera at work today so I won't be able to post them

Thanks for the link

Devil Mtn
    Well, it looked like there was an entrance in Sunol, but I couldn't find it so we drove to the Foothill entrance.

Trail is in good condition. Dry but a little rutted up from cattle and erosion in some areas. Some of those cows really don't want to get outta the way!
    All in all a great day for a ride. The weather was perfect and from the top the view was amazing!

Took some pics, but left the camera at work today so I won't be able to post them

Thanks for the link
    Did you get to the singletracks on the other side of the ridge (sinbad creek area)?

Feeling a little taller

There were several hikers and as we were coming back down, we passed about a dozen people headed up on bikes in groups of 2-3

Thanks for the link
    It appears that there may be an entrance to Pleasanton Ridge from Sonol if you ride up Kilkare Rd. but there is an indication on the map that says "No Access" - not sure just how serious they are about that.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Old School
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    It appears that there may be an entrance to Pleasanton Ridge from Sonol if you ride up Kilkare Rd. but there is an indication on the map that says "No Access" - not sure just how serious they are about that.
    There is an entrance into the park that is located further south -- almost in downtown Sunol. Without a map in front of me, I can't give the trail a name, but if you follow Thermalito directly south to the parks furthest southern extent/boundry, there is a gate. The gate dumps to an easement-like driveway that comes up through a few farmhouses. The easement/driveway dumps you onto Foothill Road, right at Sunol, next to the railroad tracks and the crossing into downtown. There's no parking (other than downtown Sunol), facilities, or maps, etc. -- Not a great place to start from, particularly if you've never ridden there before -- and the ranch dogs get riled-up.

As I understand it, the Kilkare Rd. point you mentioned was resolved in the courts several years ago. EBRPD believed there was a legal right-of-way into the park. The property owner (at the time) took them to court over it and won. Therefor "No Access" is correct. I understand that he has since "passed" and the current owners are more "user friendly" toward homeowners along Kilkare Rd. However, there is no parking at the location, and I'm sure they would frown on people driving and parking there to access the park at a point where legally, there is no access. Also, it's quite out of the way considering the Foothill Rd staging area is so accessible.

There is one more access point further north off of Foothill Rd at Longview that takes you into the Augustine Bernal portion of the park. This is also through a residence easement (with dogs) and not really recommended, as again, there is no parking and there are property owners to contend with.

mtbr member
    no, didn't get to any single track - having never been there before we just stayed on the fire roads. Not an exciting ride but the climbing was a really good workout.
    -Rich

Members who have read this thread: 0