Pleasanton Ridge pictures!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pleasanton Ridge pictures!

This was my first time there, along with ibisGuy with a bike for him. We met at the lot at 7:30 and started to roll at 7:35. I know, ouch-that's early!

REVIEW: Ride was short, but sweet. Too many cows for my liking. Dry trails, and a lot of hikers.

A few shots:

Mooooooooooooooooooove cows!

Taking a rest

BP!

ibisGuy

Yo;Got milk?

I'll be comin' around the mountain...

Nice views
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

Oct 2004

The only bike related photo I took today. The wildflowers are in bloom though...

Old School
    I think we passed each other toward the end of your ride. I was heading up the hill and you were dropping down to the staging area at about 8:30 or 9am ( I was on my neon green SS).

The rain has kept me away for quite some time. I was pleased to see the trails in relatively good shape. Time to start the regular Tuesday night rides again.

mtbr member

Nice pics

Once the EBRPs dry out enough to ride, you still have a few more months of battling cattle all over the trail until the grass dies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel
    I think we passed each other toward the end of your ride. I was heading up the hill and you were dropping down to the staging area at about 8:30 or 9am ( I was on my neon green SS).

The rain has kept me away for quite some time. I was pleased to see the trails in relatively good shape. Time to start the regular Tuesday night rides again.
    Hey that was YOU! Funny I was thinking "that guy looks a lot like Joe from the pictures I've seen on here." We could have used your knowledge of the area. I look forward to officially meeting you on a Tuesday night ride!

I broke two front chainring teeth yesterday, as well bent three links on a chain that has less than 30 miles on it. If anyone thinks Pleasanton Ridge isn't hardcore, think again! Ha!

-Larry

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Once the EBRPs dry out enough to ride, you still have a few more months of battling cattle all over the trail until the grass dies.
    Man, I've never had to deal with cows before. At one point yesterday I was about 2 feet from a cow. She didn't move and looked like she was going to charge! I screamed like a little girl, and took off for the singletrack about 30 feet to the right! Me and cows don't get along!

-Joe Louis

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

No road bikes,, your good to go.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zon

Ha - that's funny! Plead ignorance!

-Joe Louis

mtbr member

That's a crime...

There is no reason you couldn't ride a road bike down that trail.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    That's a crime...

There is no reason you couldn't ride a road bike down that trail.

Good point.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913
    Man, I've never had to deal with cows before. At one point yesterday I was about 2 feet from a cow. She didn't move and looked like she was going to charge! I screamed like a little girl, and took off for the singletrack about 30 feet to the right! Me and cows don't get along!
    They are allowed to graze on parkland in the EBRPD, so through the winter they tear up the trails when they are muddy and then chase cyclist in the spring. Once the grass dies, they go back to the ranch are no longer a problem.

Black Diamond over by us (and the next SMD ride) seems to be the worst. Last year I was riding with a friend and we literally had to scream on our way down the hill to get about 100 stampeding cows and a few bulls to clear the trail. Fortunately, most are friendly.

mtbr member
    They are allowed to graze on parkland in the EBRPD, so through the winter they tear up the trails when they are muddy and then chase cyclist in the spring. Once the grass dies, they go back to the ranch are no longer a problem.

Black Diamond over by us (and the next SMD ride) seems to be the worst. Last year I was riding with a friend and we literally had to scream on our way down the hill to get about 100 stampeding cows and a few bulls to clear the trail. Fortunately, most are friendly.
    Good to know they are not there the entire season. I am sure ibisGuy was laughing his arse off at me.

The one SMD ride that I really want to do is the Black Diamond mines ride, but it's wifey's birthday that weekend. No-can-do for me. I'll be at the rest of them though.

-Joe Louis

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913
    Good to know they are not there the entire season. I am sure ibisGuy was laughing his arse off at me.

The one SMD ride that I really want to do is the Black Diamond mines ride, but it's wifey's birthday that weekend. No-can-do for me. I'll be at the rest of them though.
    I never laughed at you, they are a bit intimidating since they kinda weigh a little bit more. You just kinda have to get vocal and yell at them and they will usually move. What you really have to watch out for are the calfs they are really skiddish.

mtbr member

Here's an interesting statistic

According to the University of Minnesota: "During the last 10 years, 12 farmers in Minnesota were mauled and gored to death by dairy bulls."

For more information on dairy cow safety, you can visit the website. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ms/DI0878.html

Although I doubt those are dairy cows, they probably go straight to Burger King or Taco Bell, I would guess that they must behave similarly.

Larry, you can always join VTT and I for an after work ride at Black Diamond. Although it still needs some time to dry out.

mtbr member
    According to the University of Minnesota: "During the last 10 years, 12 farmers in Minnesota were mauled and gored to death by dairy bulls."

For more information on dairy cow safety, you can visit the website. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ms/DI0878.html

Although I doubt those are dairy cows, they probably go straight to Burger King or Taco Bell, I would guess that they must behave similarly.

Larry, you can always join VTT and I for an after work ride at Black Diamond. Although it still needs some time to dry out.
    I'll defiantly take you up on that!

-Joe Louis

VTT
    mtbr member
    I have been chased both by bulls and cows in Black Diamond and the Shell Ridge area.... not fun at all...

mtbr member

Here's a good cow story

VTT and I were riding about 1/4 mile up the fireroad to the entrance of Black Diamond Mines and saw a cow hanging out in the middle of the road. Clearly not cow territory, the thing could have cruised straight on into downtown Clayton (imagine the chaos). The rest of his cow friends were on the other side of the barbed wire fence.

The fireroad has hill on one side and fence on the other. The cow was afraid of us and kept running down the road in front of us. It stopped a few times, trying to pull far enough to the side that we could get past, but it was never far enough for its liking. So the cow kept running up the road, and just when I was thinking "how awesome would it be to draft that cow?", something amazing happened. It jumped over a 3 or 4 foot high barbed wire fence.

I have seen cattle move fast, but never anything like it.

Feeling a little taller

No WHITE road bikes...
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Members who have read this thread: 0