places to rent at downieville?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

places to rent at downieville?

I am heading up to downieville this weekend. I've decided not to bring my own bike, and rent a DH bike. Any recommendations for shops? This would also be a good time for me to demo a bike, since i am looking to buy a second bike in the near future. I am specifically looking for a big hit or something santa cruz.

Also, i've never rented before.......am i supposed to call in before hand and reserve....or just get it the day of.

thanks

mtbr dismember

http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/

Old man on a bike

Well, I usually camp myself

but have stayed at a cottage in town and one of the motels (River Inn?) and they were okay but not great value; I stayed at the B&B in Goodyear's Bar and enjoyed that more. However, the camping up there is awesome and that's what I like.

Try the new VP Free from Yuba ($65 a day, and I'd reserve it especially for weekends); shuttle reservations on weekends are sometimes necessary too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    As posted above, Yuba Expiditions rents Santa Cruz. Downieville outfitters rents Specialized bikes. Those are your two choices.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've decided to bring my razorback. I hope I don't do any damage. Any prep work needed? I don't have a full face helment, is it neccessary to invest in one?

JLP
    Quote Originally Posted by bayarearider
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've decided to bring my razorback. I hope I don't do any damage. Any prep work needed? I don't have a full face helment, is it neccessary to invest in one?
    No, you don't need a full face. D'ville is more of a cross country downhill (if that makes any sense). Even if you take the "downieville downhill aka butcher ranch) there will still be a lot of peddeling. For maximum fun, a trail bike with about 5" travel is the best bike there. As far as prep work, make sure everyting is tight and bring extra tubes. I would also recommend using a "wet" lube becasue you will be crossing many streams and ponds.

Jan 2004
    Guess you wont see this until after you come back but... Make sure you a little extra of everything. Water and food would be good. The ride down takes longer than you think especially if its your first time up and you want to check out the views along the way.

Ride a 5" bike with discs. Rim brakes work too but at this time of the year it will still be wet from the snow melt. You just dont get the consistent performance with rim brakes. Still, the place is not straight downhill. You will need to climb some steep sections -- be prepared.

A heads up: You will get wet. Especially your feet. They will definitely get wet from creeks and more creeks. If you are making multiple runs, bring an extra pair of socks to change while you are shuttling back up. Air out your shoes as soon as you go back to your camp/room.

Forgot to tell ya its not a bad idea to wear leg armor.

Jan 2004
    Well i am back, and downieville was way more than i expected and then some. I ended up bringing my razorback. It handled it pretty well, although i my buddy did let me switch with him a 3rd of the way down. He had a big hit, and the extra travel did help. And i felt more confident going into dips with a steeper head angle.

Thanks for all the replies..... I loved it so much i am going back next month.

2 hours descent.......how sweet is that! I will definitly bring that time down next time.