Place to practice tabletop jumps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Place to practice tabletop jumps

I'm looking at improving my jumping, specifically tabletops. Are there any places in the bay area with table tops? Most trails with jumps have small kickers or gap jumps (doubles). I'm comfortable with the small kickers, but would like to work my way towards hitting the doubles.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Well, until last Monday I would've said the Epicenter pumptrack...

Now I think your best bet is the small gaps, hips, and jumps around UC Wilder (and Demo). We'll be out there tomorrow if you want a little tour...

Doug

EDIT: Jason- Next time! dth- PM sent.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-20-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the invite dirtvert. I can't make it tomorrow, but will take a rain check and PM you when I plan to hit the area again. I've been exploring the UC Wilder area and would love a tour.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Well, until last Monday I would've said the Epicenter pumptrack...

Now I think your best bet is the small gaps, hips, and jumps around UC Wilder (and Demo). We'll be out there tomorrow if you want a little tour...

Doug

Mtn View, CA
    BMX area of Calabazas Park near DeAnza and 85. The kids there could probably give you some pointers.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hey dirtvert, would you be averse to giving slow people tours at some point?

+1 on calabazas---although the tables are a bit weird (even in the beginner section). if you have time, i would recommend visiting the bmx park in pleasanton instead (the tables are much easier to learn on, imho).

edited from dublin to pleasanton
    Last edited by dth656; 02-20-2015 at 10:36 PM.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

I like mtn biking, too
    There are the polo grounds in Aptos, and then I hear the new pump track in Scott's Valley has a tabletop or two (I'm so lame for not going out there yet - yes I'm afraid of 8 year olds):

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...ea-733599.html
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    There are the polo grounds in Aptos, and then I hear the new pump track in Scott's Valley has a tabletop or two (I'm so lame for not going out there yet - yes I'm afraid of 8 year olds):

Thanks! Scott's Valley came up in my google search so it is on the list. Looks a lot nicer than Calabazas...

mtbr member
    Pleasanton Bike Park on Stanley Blvd

is down to roll...
    ^^^^this. Been to both, PBP is much better. it also changes every few years.
    : )

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Wow, I never knew the BMX track in Pleasanton existed. I'm definitely going to hit that place up to have some fun and to get some practice in with jumps. Riding all mountain it's hard to find a trail in the east bay that can offer a practice area for consistent jumping. It might be a little weird rolling there on my Bronson but I haven't had a BMX bike since I was in middle school.

Looks like a great place for kids too. Even though my boys are still on glider bikes it'll be a cool time for them watching the other groms!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by East Bay Rich View Post
    ^^^^this. Been to both, PBP is much better. it also changes every few years.
    Thanks. I just youtubed it and yes it looks much nicer, might be closer too! I took my daughter to Calabazas yesterday. Turns out my jumping technique is decent. Time to start trying bigger jumps...It was so much fun, I don't know who was having more fun, haha.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There are two very nice table tops at foster city. Pm me. One is a small one and one a very decent one. Otherwise its all doubles there.

You can also try the double that some one infilled to become a table top. Terrible really. That is in belmont.

mtbr member
    What bike should I practice with at these bike parks, I have a single speed hardtail and my full squish AM bike?

mtbr member

You should also consider the new trails at Crockett Hills:

http://www.bermstyle.com/crockett-hills-regional-park/

mtbr member

If you work in the area go on lunch break! I'm thinking of doing that if I can find a cheap BMX bike. I was at the Scotts Valley skatepark a few days ago over lunch and no kids in sight!

is down to roll...
    I went to Dublin bmx @ Fallon Sports Park last Thursday with my 26" Blkmkt Mob+Argyle. There's maybe 4 tabletops there and everything else are rollers. However, the flow is more suited to bmx racing, than dirt jumping, as it's more of a roll-everything type of track. It's very over-grown as you can tell. Eastern winds were not a big issue as it can be with San Ramon BMX (and sometimes Pleasanton). Perhaps it's because it's because it's in a pocket corner next to the fire station. I only rode for 30 min at around 630p before sunset. The baseball fields had music playing, so that was nice. I was looking at Strava, and fast riders are in the high teens (mph) https://www.strava.com/segments/7905602?filter=overall

Also, looks like other locals have made a mini cyclocross loop around the park
    https://www.strava.com/segments/5226880

Place to practice tabletop jumps-dublinbmx20150318.jpg

Overall, I'd say it's comparable to San Ramon BMX in a few ways. If you're in the 925 and have a choice between the 3 parks, I'd go to Pleasanton first. SR is a standard S-shape, while Dublin is more of a B-shape that ends right at the start hill. SR has a couple of transfer lines if you pedal hard. Didn't see that through the weeds and gopher holes at Dublin (but there might be some...).

Thanks,
    ebR
    : )

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasone510 View Post
    What bike should I practice with at these bike parks, I have a single speed hardtail and my full squish AM bike?
    The hardtail, if it's a 26er, or full squish on lockout or climb mode. Use less knobby tires too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    The hardtail, if it's a 26er, or full squish on lockout or climb mode. Use less knobby tires too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I've started building a 26" dirt jumper so I'm good in that department now =)

Resident Curmudgeon
    and lesser known is the BMX race track in Livermore. mostly empty of riders

Livermore Area Recreation & Park District

Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

SOG
    mtbr member
    408mx - bmx track

BMX TRACK OPEN - 408mx.com

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasone510 View Post
    Thanks! I've started building a 26" dirt jumper so I'm good in that department now =)
    Niiice!
    ~Fairfaxian

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    408mx - bmx track

BMX TRACK OPEN - 408mx.com
    Anybody hit this yet? It's only about 5 minutes from our new house. I'm gonna try and check it out this Wed.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

JHH
    mtbr member
    Shells in Foster City usually has a table top or 2 mixed into the pump and rhythm lines.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Anybody hit this yet? It's only about 5 minutes from our new house. I'm gonna try and check it out this Wed.
    Report back if you go tomorrow. That's not too far from me. I hope that Lake Cunningham Bike Park gets approved and built, that would be a 2 block bike ride for me!