Pioneer trail ride and pics....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pioneer trail ride and pics....

I drove out past Nevada City yesterday to check out the Pioneer trail. I started on the Upper Pioneer trail at White Cloud campground. The trail parallels Hwy 20 for about 17 miles. Lots of old growth forest with some cool large older trees. I took Pioneer as far east as I could before snow engulfed the trail at 5200 ft. I didn't see a soul on the upper portion.

I then rode the lower Pioneer and saw 4 or 5 locals on this section. I guess locals from Nevada City use the lower trail for an afterwork workout.

I know they have extended the trail past Omega rest stop for several miles into the southern canyon and out to some lake. Has anyone ever rode this new extention of the Pioneer?

Here's a few pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Couple more...

Big trees along the trail...

mtbr member
    I am totally heading up that way soon! One of the guys I ride with has been talking about us riding in the Nevada city area more. After seeing these pics I think it's a must! Thanks for sharing.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Pioneer runs for 20 miles from the Harmony Ridge Market up to the Spaulding Lake trail. There are ways to get from Nevada City to the Harmony Ridge Market via singletrack.

We rode it yesterday afternoon and it snowed the whole time, starting at about 500 feet above Nevada City.

There are some great trails (created by motos) just south of the Skillman Campground. They are a maze, but if you know them they really are alot of fun.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member

Moto trails....

Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    Pioneer runs for 20 miles from the Harmony Ridge Market up to the Spaulding Lake trail. There are ways to get from Nevada City to the Harmony Ridge Market via singletrack.

We rode it yesterday afternoon and it snowed the whole time, starting at about 500 feet above Nevada City.

There are some great trails (created by motos) just south of the Skillman Campground. They are a maze, but if you know them they really are alot of fun.
    Thanks for the info!

I rode one of those moto trails on the south side of Hwy 20 where the Pioneer cuts over to the north side of the highway. I believe it's called the Omega trail. I agree with you about how fun those trails are. The motorcycles have created some cool, buff, banked singletrack with their engines and big tires . They were a little muddy the other day, but so fast and fun.

From what I've researched online, Spaulding lake is built on the S Yuba River. Combining Pioneer with the Spaulding trail creates over 40 miles of singletrack one way. Have you taken the upper Pioneer to the Spaulding trail, and out to Spaulding lake? If so, what is the Spauling trail like?

Here's a pic I found online of the Pioneer trail at the South Yuba river.......

mtbr member

Map of Upper Pioneer and moto trails....

Here's a map of the upper Pioneer and moto trails I found at Bonc (Bicyclists of Nevada county), There are also trail guides and maps of the Downieville area, North and South Yuba trails and more...

Here's the link: http://www.bonc.org/trailguide.htm

mtbr member
    Evil Tracey and I did our "shake down" ride on Pioneer when we did our CA's Sierra's MTB
    vacation (a fantastic vacation!) last year in late June / early July.

This was the first ride after unpacking the bikes only to find that my hydraulic front brake hose
    had cracked in transit.

The only shop near Auburn (where we unpacked) that could fix it was:

Tr2 Bicycle Center
    1275 E Main St Grass Valley, CA 95945
    530 - 272 - 8920

God bless Richard Looney - the mechanic that made the repairs. When he was done, I
    asked "How much do I owe you" and he responded, "Forget it. Just go ride and have a good
    time".

Un-fcuking-believable! I couldn't force money down his shirt! (I tried )

So, I wiped the tears from my eyes and we zipped up and hit Pioneer. Very scenic. A
    super-fast trail.

SOMEONE - please say "hi" and thanks to Richard for me again (and again, and again).

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Glad you had a good time on our trails! Next time your heading up here let me know, I'll show you some of the local secret trails the connect to Pioneer. Also, if you want to do an epic ride that includes Pioneer and South Yuba, check out this ride
    http://www.nccn.net/%7Ebbbsofnc/news_bike.htm
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member

Spaulding trail.....

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Glad you had a good time on our trails! Next time your heading up here let me know, I'll show you some of the local secret trails the connect to Pioneer. Also, if you want to do an epic ride that includes Pioneer and South Yuba, check out this ride
    http://www.nccn.net/%7Ebbbsofnc/news_bike.htm
    Hey Merlin! That ride sure sounds like an interesting. Hmmm....

Your the local guy I was hoping to get some info from. Have you rode on the Spaulding trail out to Spaulding Lake? I tried to reach the trailhead last year from the upper Pioneer. I lost my way after Pioneer crosses back over to the north side of Hwy 20 above Omega rest stop, it alternated between fire road and singletrack for a few miles, then ended back at the hwy. Do you have any info such as miles or a link for trail info or map? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    Hey Merlin! That ride sure sounds like an interesting. Hmmm....

Your the local guy I was hoping to get some info from. Have you rode on the Spaulding trail out to Spaulding Lake? I tried to reach the trailhead last year from the upper Pioneer. I lost my way after Pioneer crosses back over to the north side of Hwy 20 above Omega rest stop, it alternated between fire road and singletrack for a few miles, then ended back at the hwy. Do you have any info such as miles or a link for trail info or map? Thanks!
    Here is a map
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/docume.../grousemap.pdf
    We have 9 spaces left in the ride, let me know if you want a spot.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Here is a thread about the Spaulding Lake trail rides I lead in June:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...lding+tuesdays

It's a very technical rocky trail, very fun.

Pioneer trail drops to Bear Valley from the Omega area. It parallels Bowman Lake road until the bridge across South Yuba. Cross the bridge. The trail is then on the west side of South Yuba and climbs up lots rocky switchbacks to meet the Spaulding Lake trail. If there is water coming out of the spillway it's a bit tricky to follow the trail. Know this: Keep heading in the same direction and cross under the big pipe, the trail is at the pipe up hill from where the big stream crosses under the big pipe. big pipe.
    You can connect Spaulding with Blue Lake trail, grouse ridge, Beyers, Eagle Lakes, Old Man Mountain, you can spend weeks out there.... Not all of it is all that rideable however, a good bit of hike a bike out there.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member

Good job! Thank you.....

Thanks merlin and vuduvgn for the info and links!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey, bumping this back up for some info.

Rode some of this, down Pioneer from Spaulding to Emerald Pools. We'd left our cars there so that's as far as we were expecting to go that day, but if I wanted to do a super big ride and continue all the way down to Nevada City, where does the Pioneer pick back up from Bowman Lake Rd there at the bridge by Emerald Pools?

Thanks

mtb'er
    Nice to see Brainstump's legacy on here again. RIP.

mtbr member
    :wq

Members who have read this thread: 0