Passion Trail Bikes- Mtbr.com
    Fartographer

Passion Trail Bikes

Francis, Gregg, and I finally visited Charles' (mtbr handle: backpedal) new shop in Belmont, Passion Trail Bikes. The shop is hard to find but it's really impressive once you get inside. It's a lot bigger than it looks from the outside and it's stocked really well. The shop has great stuff, including Specialized, Maverick, Giant, singlespeed components, and a $7100 carbon Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper that would look really good on me. I tried to write a check, but...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Fartographer

The Lounge

One of the things that's missing from most Bay Area bike shops that I use, is a place to really hang out. Passion Trail Bikes has a little lounge room with a well stocked fridge and an espresso maker. Patty (mtbr handle: knobbyknees) made us lattes with the Kinetic Koffee that they sell in the shop. By the third sip I think we were all worried about the caffeine content. Is it bad when your left arm gets kinda numb?

The guy showing me the fridge and kegerator is singlespeed.org. He's been on mtbr since the beginning and he posts on the singlespeed board all the time. I think he just hangs out at the shop and runs errands or something. Maybe he just drinks their beer
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Stopped by once and it is a great shop.. I plan to pick up my next bike from there.

err, 27.5+
    Haven't been there yet, but my friend who lives out that way also commented on the location. Kind of a bit off the beeten path. However like most good shops, if you build it the people will come. Thanks for the pictures.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Passion is the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Francis, Gregg, and I finally visited Charles' (mtbr handle: backpedal) new shop in Belmont, Passion Trail Bikes. The shop is hard to find but it's really impressive once you get inside. It's a lot bigger than it looks from the outside and it's stocked really well.
    You beat me to it! I've been meaning to post about Passion, so let me second that emotion...

Charles just built up my new Nomad and wheelset. I can't say enough about the care and quality of the work he put into it. Not only does he take pride in his work and the shop, but he went above and beyond in terms of bike fit and swapping parts as needed, despite the fact that I had scored almost all of the parts elsewhere. The guy knows he stuff and gives a shite to boot. Needless to say, I was impressed, especially after debating long and hard about doing the build myself. Perhaps more importantly, its great seeing a shop that is really focused on mountain bikers and these guys are out there doing the trail work for the rest of us as well...

Passion Trail Bikes is top shelf all the way. "Hightly Recommended".

Here is my evidence :

And in the wild on a Skeggs Dawn Patrol ride yesterday:
    - -benja- -

just another bleepin SSer
    The guy showing me the fridge and kegerator is singlespeed.org. He's been on mtbr since the beginning and he posts on the singlespeed board all the time. I think he just hangs out at the shop and runs errands or something. Maybe he just drinks their beer
    Yeah, that's me in the bright red. And can't you tell by my belly that I am there for the beer... Though, it's a Hefeweizen on tap right now, which isn't my favorite. I hope some others come and help drain that so they can put something in more my taste...
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

fc
    head minion Administrator
    We couldn't hit the keg since it was a tad early. However, Patty hooked us up with that espresso machine and oh man, what a kick.

You could feel a fast heartbeat halfway through the huge cup.

Awesome shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

francois

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    We couldn't hit the keg since it was a tad early.
    It was between 2am and 6am? That's weird.

Flyin Canine
    Great shop all around.

Charles does top notch work and has been around bike shops since at least the late 80's from what I know. I was in his shop looking at one of the bikes he was building up and noticed some crazy details. Just one example is where he used some bar tape to make a chainstay protector SO nice and perfectly fitting the chainstay of an Epic that I thought it was factory from specialized. Very nice work.

Berry used to be President of ROMP and has been building trails for a long time.

These guys sweat and blood and PASSION goes into your bikes and trails. They rule!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed.org
    Yeah, that's me in the bright red. And can't you tell by my belly that I am there for the beer... Though, it's a Hefeweizen on tap right now, which isn't my favorite. I hope some others come and help drain that so they can put something in more my taste...

Right on Peter! Good to reconnect.

I didn't know you were behind this shop and you were singlespeed.org on mtbr. Here's our pic from 10 years ago.

Peter is second from the left.

ride info here: https://www.mtbr.com/author/friends/10k.html

francois
    Last edited by fc; 04-11-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Nov 2004
    Nice Francis, I didn't know you kept all that stuff. Thanks for the flashback!
    The pix from the Mission Peak night rides... has it really been 10 years?

https://www.mtbr.com/author/friends/...n/mission.html

My first dream-bike...

Brian

Peter is second from the right.
    Interesting to see that 10 years ago that I had a beer belly then also. And I thought the one I had now was from the beer on tap at PTB and not enough non-rainy days...

That is Francois on the far right....
    --
    自転車が好きだよ

More pie please

OT - 10k Day

Not to hyjack this thread, but tell me about this 10k ride:

http://www.mtbr.com/author/friends/10k.html

Was it the 10k B.A.R.F. Ride?

http://mtb.live555.com/rides/BARF.html

It doesn't look like the Coe 10k:

http://coecore.homestead.com/what.html

I have a goal to do a 10k day in 2006...

///Charlie

Dec 2005
    I can't say enough good things about Passion trail bikes. It is hands down one of the best bike stores in which I have ever set foot. Charles is amazingly knowledgeable and takes care in his work. I just bought a trance 2 and he is building it up as we speak. The care and attention to detail is amazing. The lounge and the casual come and hangout here attitude of the place is a breath of fresh air compared to the " what bike do you want, give me you money or get out" attitudes some of the bike stores have.

I highly recommend PTB.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Not to hyjack this thread, but tell me about this 10k ride:

http://www.mtbr.com/author/friends/10k.html

Was it the 10k B.A.R.F. Ride?

http://mtb.live555.com/rides/BARF.html

It doesn't look like the Coe 10k:

http://coecore.homestead.com/what.html

I have a goal to do a 10k day in 2006...

///Charlie
    Yes, it was a 10k BARF ride. Peter was the leader of that group for a while. We started on Alpine Road and basically climbed Skyline Blvd. 4 times. Peter has all the route details I'm sure as he lead and variations of that ride.

francois

Yes, it was the 10K BARF. I think the year the photo was from was the first year. That year, we did cover in excess of 10,000 feet of climbing, but a lot of it was on pavement (for example, the climb up Montibello Road).

So for later years, I found a route that gave 10k of dirt climbing, and that is the route listed at http://mtb.live555.com/rides/BARF.html.

Note - the route listed there would have to be changed slightly if it was done now, as Los Trancos has since been closed to bikes.
    --
    自転車が好きだよ

More pie please
    Well if you ever go crazy and organize the 10k B.A.R.F. again, post something on mtbr.com - I'd be interested.

///Charlie

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Well if you ever go crazy and organize the 10k B.A.R.F. again, post something on mtbr.com - I'd be interested.

///Charlie
    Click Here for Forum Rules

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    me too
    I think we gots to organize this ride then. Passion Bikes will sponsor the post-ride brew.

fc

I think we gots to organize this ride then. Passion Bikes will sponsor the post-ride brew.
    Hard to imagine me being able to do this, looking at the Doppler, my dust-gathering bikes, and my growing beer belly... Maybe I can think about it once the rain gods decide to move back to Seattle.
    --
    自転車が好きだよ

Dec 2004

Mountain Bike King and Qween

Passion Trail Bikes…….Has a really solid ring to it doesn’t. Let me break it down for you.

PASSION= The passion that Patty and Charles have for preserving Mountain Cycling in NorCal is so great it will literally rub off on you in more ways then one. Patty and Charles are a force to be reckoned with all there years of experience and the knowledge that came with it. You will be hard pressed to find another shop that will have the Passion, the knowledge or the experience as these two individuals have alone. It is just not there. When you walk in to this shop there is no need to explain your self about whatever problem you are having. They know how to help you and will have the answers you are looking for when it come to Mountain Cycling. With the shop located on the central cost the Passion is going to leak all over the bay area and set a new philosophy for Mountain Biking for generation to come.

TRAIL= With Trailworkers.com and Stewarts of Soquel Demo Forest under there belt and packed in to the soils of there boots, Patty and Charles are definitely no stranger to the trails and how to build and maintain them. Now as Executive Director of NORCAMBA Patty has taught me personally so much about trail maintains and structure. I some times tell people that I have been Patty trained in the art and science of single track. I really get a kick out of that. Having known Patty and Charles just over a year they have giving me a new direction for the passion. I plan to take the seed they planted in me and spread them else where in the hopes that they will grow for the passion also. NorCal Trails are some of the best around. It takes a lot of work to make it so, but the passion for the trails will grow and move forward having this shop open to those that inquire about it. The train has been moving for many, many years just hop on when ever you like.

BIKES= You are only going to find one type of bicycle in this shop. Mountain Bikes. How unique is that. With Charles and Barry behind the counters and Patty on the Register it is such a great experience to have a shop that just caters to the Passion of Mountain Cycling. You can quite latterly say that that this is a Mountain bike shop. Those other guys are bicycle shops. So when you find your self with your passion down and out or just broke. Passion Trail Bike is the place to get it fixed. Or just to get your fix on. Gulp!, gulp!

I have been thinking about writing this piece for about four months. When I heard Charles was going to open his own shop the gears started to turn. I tossed so many different ideas around on how I was going to write these piece. Mountain Bike King and Queen has been the title since day one.

Enjoy
    JDT
    Last edited by Joseph-da-trog; 04-11-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Hear Hear!!

Hear-Hear!! Passion Rocks!

I duly second, erm third, uhhh-fourth that notion! Charles has a long history in the S.F. Bay Area. I remember Garner's, etc from way back when I twas a beginner. The shop is well laid out, has some of the best stuff, and is definitely a "Cool Shop" to shop. You'll always be treated well.

Stop in when you get the opportunity, be sure to take the time to look around, and be sure to sign up for some trail work, or sign-up to support our local trail work/projects be it NORCAMBA, ROMP, whatever.

Obi..

Dec 2004

Some Pix

Here are some pix

mtbr member
    Francis, Gregg, and I finally visited Charles' (mtbr handle: backpedal) new shop in Belmont, Passion Trail Bikes. The shop is hard to find but it's really impressive once you get inside. It's a lot bigger than it looks from the outside and it's stocked really well. The shop has great stuff, including Specialized, Maverick, Giant, singlespeed components, and a $7100 carbon Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper that would look really good on me. I tried to write a check, but...
    This is my new bike shop... we've needed this for a while here in the Belmont, San Carlos, San Mateo area. I'm even luckier in that I live literally 1 half mile from there. His shop is next to my welder/muffler shop! Anyway, with mileage will come maintenance and it's just not happening lately (for obvious reasons).

Charles is a great guy. I hope he can get enough business in this location to stay in business a good long time. The "Shop warming" party was great. What is the policy on the kegerator again?

~Cadillac
    Iconic, Fat and Slow. - Not in that order.
    Bikes:
    ***'03 Marin Quad (Fully Squishy)
    ***Giant CFR (Road)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac
    What is the policy on the kegerator again?
    There is a big old beer mug that I toss a few bucks in to every once in a while to help pay for what I drink. Beyond that, I usually try not to hit the keg until a reasonable hour.
    --
    自転車が好きだよ

dis member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac
    What is the policy on the kegerator again?

Come in and hit the Kegerator anytime. If you hit it a second time, drop a little something in the tip jar.

Passion has been turning over the tips in exchange for fresh brew by the keg from Devil's Canyon Brewery, another local, friendly custom shop doing business out of a converted warehouse. Some on this list have had their brews by other names, like what they draw at Alice's at Four Corners. That is frequently a Devil's Canyon recipe. They also open up their shop once a month, the last Friday, for happy hour with a big screen and live music and catered food.

Passion still has the Hefe on tap now, but will have to run the Silicon Blonde again next.

err, 27.5+
    Bringing an old one back up. Better late than never...

I happened to be in the area yesterday with a few extra minutes, so I called the shop. They were cool about giving me some quick directions over the phone. It was pretty easy to find IMO.

The place is big. It is also filling in nicely with trail bikes and little bling bits. All the displays are clean and well stocked. Good selection in what I wanted to look at (handle bars, stems, tires). Obviously the shop is still growing/settling into a groove. But for a new addition to the Bay Area I would say the place is off to a good start. I wish I had another 20 minutes to kill so I could have checked out the lounge, next time

Too Much Fun

Good job! Yeah, more props for Passion...

Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Bringing an old one back up. Better late than never...
    I have to give Charles and Passion another round of kudos. I recently managed to pretzel my XO rear derailleur. Charles rebuilt it overnight and saved me bigtime.

If anyone is wondering weather the SRAM XO gear is worth it... IMO, the rebuildability alone makes it for me.
    - -benja- -

Members who have read this thread: 0