Pacifica Trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pacifica Trails

mtbr member

Pacifica Trails

There always seems to be work going on at the Pacifica trails. It has always been a great place to learn some new skills. There is something there for every level of rider, from beginner to pro. Even with all the upgrades, beginner lines or go arounds are always available. So the trail upgrades have always been a positive thing.

Lately, I have noticed some trail alterations that are for the negative. It started out small a couple months back with someone taking the lip of a step-up. Not normal wear and tear or lack of trail maintenance, but someone removing some of the lip. Not people rolling over it and wearing the lip down but someone removing it. One day it had lip, the next day it did not.

Not long after that, I notice someone had broke the branches holding up the step-down and dug into the dirt a little at the step-down take-off, with a couple of holes from a stick almost drilled into the dirt. We filled in the holes, compacted the dirt with our feet.

Two weeks back, I notice that a one foot by five foot section of dirt at the step-down take-off is now loose, as in dug up and placed back in but not compacted. And the lip is gone.

Last week someone removes 2 small logs at the lip of one of the smallest hits on the trial, right after the step-down. This is the one thing that could have been wear and tear, normal trail use. The logs come loose and someone pulls them out.

This week, I come rolling up to the 2nd gap on the trail and notice the top log on the take-off is completely exposed. Four days before it was barely exposed. An 8 inch diameter log barely exposed on sunday and completely removeable four days later. It barely became exposed all summer long and in four days is now removable with gaps on the sides. Clearly someone pulled the log out.

It is not like these alterations are making it easier for anyone, either way the step-down is dropping the same distance and the gap jump has the same gap and lowering the take-off point does not make it easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacifica Trails-photo237.jpg  

Pacifica Trails-photo234.jpg  

Pacifica Trails-photo235.jpg  

Pacifica Trails-photo232.jpg  

Pacifica Trails-photo241.jpg  

Take Gravity For A Ride

Like a boss.
    I would talk to Frank and the folks at SF Dirt Lab about your concerns - I'm not sure this forum is the best place to post about these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

my legs are sore
    Could it be from motorcycles? I've seen dirt bikes on the trails now and then. There's been law enforcement on Old San Pedro Rd that stopped and asked me if I'd seen anybody riding motorcycles on the trail.
    Last edited by Rick O'Shay; 09-03-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Every time you clog a toilet you have exceeded someone's expectations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    that IS weak.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426
    I would talk to Frank and the folks at SF Dirt Lab about your concerns - I'm not sure this forum is the best place to post about these things.
    why not? They're legal trails aren't they?

That's pretty lame if someone's messing with them though. A buddy took me here about a month ago and I liked the progression it had. Easy lines all the way to pretty big stuff.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    IMHO..that's the key markings of a trail nazi deliberately doing this with a pick-axe, otherwise known as a mattock. You need to consider mounting a deer camera up and away from prying hands for a few days and catch the saboteur in the act.

That kind of destruction in hard soil isn't from a shovel, and it's not from someone trying to do trail work. It's likely a grumpy resident out to cause drama. It happened a couple years back, and it's likely the same old guy (Mid 50's, brown hair). He either lives, or is friends with someone who lives up past Higgins on Adobe, and will park over there most times. Just have someone pretend to be dropping off their kid at school and wait for him to pull up, look around to be sure nobody's watching, then pull it out of his trunk and hike up. It usually happens between 9-10:30am in the school season when nobody's usually there to catch him in the act. Wait for him to hike up enough and just tail him..*Don't confront him, just hide off in the bushes and film and take pictures of him. You'll hear when the spike or the shovel starts to strike the ground and old branches, it's a pretty clear sound

Know what I'm saying here, get him for public endangerment, but don't start something yourself or endanger yourself.

The trails are legit, deliberate sabotage that endangers people is not. Visit w/ GearHead so they know this is going on and they'll likely help catch the person.

Lemme know if he gets caught.
    Last edited by Obi; 09-03-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    why not? They're legal trails aren't they?

That's pretty lame if someone's messing with them though. A buddy took me here about a month ago and I liked the progression it had. Easy lines all the way to pretty big stuff.
    They're not illegal... but they're not exactly explicitly legal, either. Most of the trails are on CalTrans property or private property. It's sort of a grey area.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Note* ^That or honestly, it's only a few months before the rain hits anyhow, let it go, warn other riders, and build better stuff in the winter!

If it bothers you enough, pack a trailer with a full 5 gallon water container and tow it up along with a couple of shovels. Dig a hole about 1' deep off of the side in a safe spot and start mixing up some dirt to patch it all with and lay a piece of indoor outdoor carpet over it to keep it shaped. Find someone to camp there for two days and watch in to be sure it cures.

I rot before I ripen
    Trails are open by the grace of downturned economy. Soon as someone buys up the property, we'll have problems. Until then, we're lucky, but there's other pressures.

Higgins is a busy street, and some of the neighbors aren't happy. Hence the limited parking restrictions.

As for the damage to the features, from the pics, could be just normal wear from busy summer. In any case, folks shouldn't be tuning the features if they didn't have a hand in creating them.

When the rain returns, the features will get pimped.

Until then, please be a thoughtful mountain biker, be kind to the locals on Higgins, pack out trash, and stay away from the mountain lions.

damon

my legs are sore
    For what it's worth, the property where Boyscout is located was purchased by a private party about six or seven years ago. The new owner had no immediate plans for the property and was aware of the trails that were already in place. The folks at Gearhead bike shop helped work out an arrangement with the new land owner that allowed bikers to continue using the trails providing they signed a waiver that said they would not hold the landowner responsible for injury, etc. The waiver also stated that while ongoing trail maintenance was acceptable, no additional features were to be added.

There could be something going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Maybe Gearhead knows something?
    Last edited by Rick O'Shay; 09-04-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    Every time you clog a toilet you have exceeded someone's expectations.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay
    There could be something going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Maybe Gearhead knows something?
    Exactly why I pointed the O/P to them. I wonder how many actually have signed the waiver and ride there, as I know I am signed off.

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    Exactly why I pointed the O/P to them. I wonder how many actually have signed the waiver and ride there, as I know I am signed off.
    The waiver hasn't been in effect for several years now. The original party that negotiated the waiver is no longer in play. Once the economy picks up, I'm sure the access we enjoy now will change.

damon
    Last edited by levee67; 09-04-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Hadn't heard of that bit, but I havn't talked to Matt or Paul lately.

Members who have read this thread: 0