mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pacific Crest Trail

Was reading the page to see if they allow mountain bikes, they do NOT. But their reasons for not allowing them was the same lies I've seen for years, even stating that horses cause less damage than bikes. They even show a photo of a small groove in mud as perminant trail damage, which it's not. As a trail steward and builder it's total BS.
    I suggest riding it at your leisure and NEVER donating to their cause unless the trail coalition changes their tune. Type in 'mountain bike' on their search and see the BS for yourself.
    agmtb

Totally, and to the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Was reading the page to see if they allow mountain bikes, they do NOT. But their reasons for not allowing them was the same lies I've seen for years, even stating that horses cause less damage than bikes. They even show a photo of a small groove in mud as perminant trail damage, which it's not. As a trail steward and builder it's total BS.
    I suggest riding it at your leisure and NEVER donating to their cause unless the trail coalition changes their tune. Type in 'mountain bike' on their search and see the BS for yourself.
    Yeah! And while we're at it, let's start driving cars on the sidewalk! They say that causes permanent human damage, but I've never personally seen it myself! How dare they lie to me!

Dude, as a trail steward, you should move beyond this way of thinking. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Well, it is the Perfect Cycling Trail

and many segments of that trail are getting grown over from lack of use.

The PCT deserves to be ridden.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    I suggest riding it at your leisure
    Yeah, that'll change perceptions alright
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

well

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Yeah, that'll change perceptions alright

Not riding it hasn't changed any perceptions. If you don't like the status quo, institute change.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah
    Not riding it hasn't changed any perceptions. If you don't like the status quo, institute change.
    Good idea. You know, I dislike that rape and murder is illegal. Guess I have a full weekend ahead!

jrm
    mtbr member

Try looking

through the trees and not at them. Arent there other trails

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Good idea. You know, I dislike that rape and murder is illegal. Guess I have a full weekend ahead!
    Uh thats a little extreme doncha think?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    The PCT was never open to mtn bikes. The legislation creating the national trail system (AT, CDT, PCT, and others) said no to bikes. Why is this such a big surprise to you now?

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54
    The PCT was never open to mtn bikes. The legislation creating the national trail system (AT, CDT, PCT, and others) said no to bikes. Why is this such a big surprise to you now?
    that's what i thought until there was race that ran along part of it in the mid-80's. maybe that was before the bike "exclusion" was written in. i wish i could remember the race. I remember coming out of some singletrack that popped out on this spiney ridge that fell away on both sides. you could see practically the whole range stretching forever in both directions. they only held it the race only once or twice. was definitely the coolest and scariest view i've ever seen in a race.
    will you rep me?

Medium?
    You should get a special patch if you poach it from end to end...

sftrydr
    Overheard this from some locals up around Truckee:
    PCT
    Preferred Cycling Trail

MarkyMark
    Jdub and I missed a turn and rode along the trail for a bit when were we in Downieville a couple years back. We had to cross big snow drifts and eventually came up to a sign that said something like "PCT. No bikes allowed. That means you &@#*!!" That was our clue that we had missed a turn and weren't where we thought we were.

Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm
    Overheard this from some locals up around Truckee:
    PCT
    Preferred Cycling Trail

Birthday Collector
    We always used to call it the "Pacific Cycling Trail" when I was down in SoCal. Think the term in general has moved towards the "Perfect Cycling Trail"... Explored a few patches of it myself, and years ago we ran into the head ranger of a very large State Park, riding his MTB on the trail. He said he wouldn't mention to anyone that he saw us if we didn't tell anyone that we saw him... (I think there have been enough years past now, but I won't say his name...) Most of the trail was overgrown from non-use. I agree that we, as cyclists should not support financially, nor with volunteer time, any trail that excludes cyclists. I hike also, but because of my feelings won't volunteer to work on something that excludes bikes. I get my hours in on trails I can use however I want to.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Butcher
    Stay home and lube yourself with hand sanitizer.

Much safer than riding that riding that crappy trail all the way to Mexico.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    that's what i thought until there was race that ran along part of it in the mid-80's...
    The trail did not exist per se when created. The route was cobbled together from sections of existing trails (which then immediately became closed to bikes). Temporary PCT sections were designated tying together the already existing sections while the rest of the trail was constructed according to all the trail standards. The temporary routes mainly followed dirt roads, and in a few places marginal trails not up to PCT standards.

I am not aware of the race you mentioned. There was a bit of a legal Catch-22 on the new construction segments. They were not yet part of the PCT, so not closed to bikes until completely finished and officially incorporated into the PCT. Plus, many of the temp sections were open to bikes.

And then and now, trail poaching. Riding bikes on the PCT is not enforced in some areas, or only intermittently.

The above mentioned encounter with a bike riding ranger on the trial highlights what is happening in reality. Many of the agency folks with boots on the ground think the anti-bike regulations are stupid and do not enforce them, while office-bound bureaucrats and environmental industry lawyers vigorously defend the ban. So if you call an office and ask, or check the regs on a website, you will get the official line of no bikes. But once on the trail you may not encounter anyone who gives a rip. Or you may run across someone who will enforce the letter of the law... Feelin' lucky?

Another lesser known part of the trail regulations allows the administrative agency of a section of trail to use bikes, motorcycles, or ATVs in 'administration of the trail'. So you could be cited by a trail crew for riding a mountain bike on the PCT, and the trail crew use an ATV on the same trail to catch you. I haven't heard of that happening, but under a strict interpretation of the law it could occur.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    Yeah! And while we're at it, let's start driving cars on the sidewalk! They say that causes permanent human damage, but I've never personally seen it myself! How dare they lie to me!
    That analogy is almost as ridiculous as the "rape and murder" analogy that followed.

I am continually amazed at the holier than thou attitude that is displayed by clueless folks when they chastise people for riding on some dirt trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If we try to change the status we might suceed. Write your congressman or write a bill. I'd love to challenge this in court but you can't fight the government and win. Even if I won in court the trail opening would be questionable.
    But my congresswoman will hear of this even though I've seen her ride a horse.
    Dave 54 has read through the law carefully. Most of the regulations were written in 1984 when mountain biking was in it's infancy. Time to turn the tide toward granting mountain bike access. We have the power if there are enough of us. Only vote for those that grant access to public lands, not limit it.
    Trail maintenance by mountain bikers has made land managers much more favorable to our being allowed access. Showing the value of mountain bikers to the tourist economy of the region has impact.
    agmtb

mtb'er
    I'm not confident that any amount of effort will allow rubber bicycle tires and rubber boot soles and steel horseshoes to share the PCT during our lifetime. Thus, I'm a conscientious objector from time to time.

Free the PCT!

aka Jesse Palmer
    They should grant biking licenses to people for "trail maintenance purposes" Bring a pair of hand clippers and spend 15 minutes each ride clearing some brush. Win win for everyone?

mtbr member
    Just ride it, but dont get caught!

Ride what you want!!
    I'd ride it while raping then murdering someone.. and toss an empty GU wrapper on the trail.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    I'd ride it while raping then murdering someone.. and toss an empty GU wrapper on the trail.

george

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=george_da_trog]I'd ride it while raping then murdering someone.. and toss an empty GU wrapper on the trail.

You have crossed the line MAN, littering is not COOL!

Members who have read this thread: 1