Ouch! $3.07/gal- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ouch! $3.07/gal

mtbr member

Ouch! $3.07/gal

I had to be in the Bay Area for the weekend. On Friday, I filled up the LandCrusher in Stocktontucky for $2.87/gal. Sunday to get me home, I found out how expensive gas really is: $3.07/gal.

Yeeouch!

So I think to myself, since it's not going to get better anytime soon, I'm going to have to curtail my driving habits. Instead of driving my usual 70mph, I decided to drive home at 62mph, just to see what the difference will make in the mpg. Gawd, I never got so many dirty looks from other drivers

I remember back in college, I couldn't drive my '63 bug faster than 60mph for fear of it blowing up . I think it's coming back to that kind of driving for me.

Me thinks it's high time I start to look for a bug again.

jps

I am lost, I'm no guide

$4/gallon

outside Yosemite on 140. Insane.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    outside Yosemite on 140. Insane.
    Saw that this weekend too. I was so happy passing all the big, poorly driven SUVs in my Subaru. Add a little rain to a mountain road and a bunch of those big a$$ machines turn into tourist driven slugs.
    Fully loaded with kids n crap and about 1 3/4 tanks for the whole 4 day trip from Walnut Creek. And I was going over 70 on the freeway....maybe a little more.
    Don't harsh my mello

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Our trip vehicle was an Outback so 87 Ocatane...yeah! Other car is a WRX, premium prices really bite. And I've somehow avoided tickets with that one. Triple digits are too easily attained.
    Don't harsh my mello

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Our trip vehicle was an Outback so 87 Ocatane...yeah! Other car is a WRX, premium prices really bite. And I've somehow avoided tickets with that one. Triple digits are too easily attained.
    I can personnally attest that the dollar amount of a speed ticket reaches in the 3 digits eventthough my speed remained in the 2 digits (speed trap on Niles Canyon going west on the only straightaway past Sunol).

To make us feel better, Europe is paying between $6 and $8 a gallon for gas...
    Last edited by zorg; 04-24-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Too Much Fun

Welcome to the rest of the world...

Where gas prices start at $4 and go up from there. The sad problem is that in the rest of the world much of that is taxes which go toward social services. Here we don't believe in taxes or social services.

Blah, blah, blah, I know I'm likely preaching to the converted but things are not going to be getting better. Get used to it. The free ride is ending.
    - -benja- -

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Where gas prices start at $4 and go up from there. The sad problem is that in the rest of the world much of that is taxes which go toward social services. Here we don't believe in taxes or social services.

Blah, blah, blah, I know I'm likely preaching to the converted but things are not going to be getting better. Get used to it. The free ride is ending.
    Well, that sucks... If we go the way of Europe carwise, it would be a major setback. Over there, a VW is a medium size car. I drove small cars (my old Fiat Uno) for long enough to know that I don't like it that much.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

jrm
    mtbr member

Start pedaling

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Well, that sucks... If we go the way of Europe carwise, it would be a major setback. Over there, a VW is a medium size car. I drove small cars (my old Fiat Uno) for long enough to know that I don't like it that much.

I still have the 1/2 a tank of gas in my 4runner from a weeks and a half ago...

aka baycat
    I love owning a Jeep but soon, very soon

zoom zoom in the smart car. Things were all over Italy...

Too Much Fun

Its more complicated then small or large vehicles...

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    They drive small cars for a variety of reasons, only some of which have to do with sensible use of fossil fuels. One biggie is just plain old lack of space. If you've driven or ridden in a European city you know there just isn't room for hordes of folks driving SUVs, Minivans and pickups. Streets there date back a loooong ways and many were not meant for cars etc. But the cost of gas is another thing. When gas here hits $5/gal and stays there (and it will,) you will quickly get over your aversion to smaller vehicles. And our larger vehicles will rapidly get more fuel effiecient....

Its all about the peak oil at this point.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Actual price not so bad

We're just used to so much lower. I started driving in 1982... until just recently, gas has always been cheaper than when I started driving.

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No so Bad.

We're just used to paying so much less.

I started driving in 1982... until just recently, the real price of gas has only decreased since I began driving.

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Members who have read this thread: 0