Ot: Wow!!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ot: Wow!!!!

mtbr member

Ot: Wow!!!!

I was at home south of woodland on Saturday afternoon taking a short and deserved nap after a big ride on Friday. About 4:45 the old dog woke me up visibly upset. She needs to go out? We went out and immediately heard a big thunder blast. There were big dark clouds just North of us - I ran in to check the radar and, sure enough, an intense thunderstorm was coming right for us!

I put the dog in a quiet bedroom, grabbed a camera, and ran to the barnyard. There was a well defined inflow band of clouds right overhead that led to a developing funnel only a half mile or so away. I got some video (to come) of the developing funnel but huge hail drove me under the patio cover.

For the next 25 minutes, my wife and I were trapped under the patio cover as quarter size hail came down with and astounding intensity. As the funnel passed overhead, we could see the rotation and the trees around us went crazy with sudden gusts. The funnel eventually touched down just south of us and prompted a tornado warning!

When all was over, I sloshed out to the orchard through inches of hail to see how the pistachio crop had fared. We were scheduled for harvest on Tuesday of next week! Over 90% of the nuts were down mixed with shredded leaves and mud. No harvest this year - the crop was destroyed so my plans for new alpine touring boots and bindings is off for this year. A lot of work and investment for no return; that's farming.

Just as the hail began, I tried to call the Sac weather service office with a weather spotter notification. As the weather guy answered, an incredibly intense wave of hail hit and we could not communicate give the deafening roar of the hail.

The solar array was undamaged - pretty robust panels! The cars have some small dents but the windows are ok.

Here's a couple of pictures that aren't too good. I have much better video and will put up some after I get the video processing done.

This was the most incredible weather event I've ever seen. A tornado forming over the house and 25 minutes of intense hail. It was very, very cool to see.

Inflow bands and the first sign of rotation:

Ot:  Wow!!!!-img_2097.jpg

The hail begins to thrash the pool. I have better video - stay tuned.

Ot:  Wow!!!!-pool-hail.jpg

Hail on the ground and a set of keys the next morning. Still ground covered with hail.

Ot:  Wow!!!!-hail-keys.jpg

My 2019 pistachio crop - RIP.

Ot:  Wow!!!!-nut-crop.jpg

The back patio covered with shredded grape leaves. The vines over the patio are now completely bare.

Ot:  Wow!!!!-patio-grill.jpg

The driveway covered in shredded mulberry leaves.

Ot:  Wow!!!!-driveway.jpg

Better video to come!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Moderator Moderator
    Great post!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Very cool! Although that is a great shame about your pistachio crop. Can't wait to see the video. Lucky that the tornado was small enough not to be so destructive but large enough to be dramatic.

Caca pasa
    Can't wait for the video!

Sorry about the crop- how many trees do you have?
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Paper or plastic?
    Insane

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yikes! We were driving up to Berkeley about that time and could see storm clouds out to the east.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member

A quick video

I had some time today after storm cleanup so I put together a few clips I took during the storm. The funnel in the first clip went over the house about the time the hail came on. It touched down a mile or two south towards Davis. KCRA 3 had some closeup video of the tornado in a young orchard.

The hail was really impressive. Deafening under that metal roof. It came in intense waves that made speech impossible. The storm went on for a full 20 minutes of intense pounding hail. Goodbye garden, goodbye tomatoes.

Maybe not so wild if you're from the midwest, but pretty wild for Yolo county standards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzx8...ature=youtu.be

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I had some time today after storm cleanup so I put together a few clips I took during the storm. The funnel in the first clip went over the house about the time the hail came on. It touched down a mile or two south towards Davis. KCRA 3 had some closeup video of the tornado in a young orchard.

The hail was really impressive. Deafening under that metal roof. It came in intense waves that made speech impossible. The storm went on for a full 20 minutes of intense pounding hail. Goodbye garden, goodbye tomatoes.

Maybe not so wild if you're from the midwest, but pretty wild for Yolo county standards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzx8...ature=youtu.be
    Dang, you got pelted! That sucks about your crop for sure! I suppose crop insurance is a thing and will cover your losses(?)

I hope the top of your trailer isn't all dented.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm glad you are able to absorb all of that crop loss and property damage. I don't think I could be so light hearted about all that. You must be an impressive person to have that much perseverance.
    Nature can really be a bitch sometimes.

mtbr member
    The nut crop was uninsured. Fortunately, we do not depend on this money for living. Half goes into the home fund and the other half goes into bikes, bike parts, ski stuff, boat stuff, etc. This was the year to partially abandon tele skiing and buy alpine touring boots and bindings to match the AT skis I got this spring. Not gonna happen this year.

Now, we need to figure out how to clean up all those downed nuts. Otherwise, we will have a rat crop like you've never seen.

There is a bike related object in one of the video clips. Anyone see it?