OT: Three Free Jerseys (XL)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OT: Three Free Jerseys (XL)

I lost 45 pounds over the winter and I have three XL jerseys that no longer fit me. I assume some people are like me and don't like spending a lot of $$ on jerseys, so I figure I'd offer them up here before I go over to Goodwill.

There are two REI jerseys that I wore a few times in the Fall for rides last year and a Pearl Izumi jersey that I never wore. It's basically new. They fit me when I weighed in the 210 range, so they are sized to fit bigger riders that have broader shoulders.

If someone is interested, it would be great if they could take them all and cover the postage if needed.

Just PM me ... first come, first served.

Thanks!

Slowest Rider

Congratulations

It's amazing you lost that much over winter! I need the increased riding in summer to loose significant weight. In spite of Weight Watchers, I've only held steady this winter.

I've gone from 275 to 225 now. Those shirts would fit me now, but I'm also planning on going down another 40 or so, perhaps by the end of summer. So I'll let them go to someone else more stable (unless you don't get other takers).

As I got smaller in the last year, I have increased my climb rate from 1100'/hour to 1800'/hour - a huge improvement over 60% for the sub-20% loss, way beyond any simple calcuation from physics. I keep looking back to see if someone's pushing me up the hills that seem to be disappearing. I wonder how I'll do with the next 40 lbs. How'd your biking improve?
    Last edited by BigLarry; 05-29-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member

Keep Going Larry!

Truth be told, I started this program on 9/18/2005, so it took me about 9 months total. I don't think I would have been successful if I hadn't been very methodical and regimented in my approach. I used a piece of software called "Diet Power" https://www.dietpower.com to measure my caloric intake and manage the quality of food I was eating. I tried to hit a target of 57% carbs, 25% protein, and 18% fat. It also calcuates your basal metabolic rate and let's you know how many calories you can consume daily based on your activity levels. Just a couple of screen shots below.

I rode about 1,800 miles over the last nine months, alhtough a lot of them are on the road (on my MTB if needed) due to the bad weather. And lots of time in the gym lifting when I first started with time on the stationary bike at fat burning levels, but now that the weather is great, I spend most of my time just riding when I can.

I believe I was only sucessful because I totally cut beer and soda out of my diet for now (I don't drink coffee). I only drink water ... sometimes 2 gallons a day if I exercise a lot ... and very cold water in the morning since it raises your metabolic rate.

I also suppliment with the EAS Myoplex Lite protein powders and bars to make my protein numbers. It's near impossbile for me to stay under 35g of fat a day and hit 154g of protein. And lots of roasted/grilled chicken.

My fitness levels are basically back to where I was in my late 20's. I now go on some group rides and have to hang back for guys half my age, so I'm feeling good about it!

Great work SFBiker!
    I have been holding stead at the XL level when I really should be an L...
    I would like to take you up on the jerseys.
    Perhaps your success will inspire me to follow your lead
    (cutting out beer & pizza will be the toughest part!)

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbikerider
    ...I used a piece of software called "Diet Power" http://www.dietpower.com to measure my caloric intake and manage the quality of food I was eating. ...

My fitness levels are basically back to where I was in my late 20's. I now go on some group rides and have to hang back for guys half my age, so I'm feeling good about it!
    Thanks for the info. That program appeals to the geek in me. I'll give it a try. It seems to encourage strict discipline while maintaining the right nutritional balance for strength. Right now, every time I don't rigorously count my calories (or WW points), I go back up a couple pounds that week, in spite of me thinking I'm doing good.

I suspect the next 45 lbs to my goal weight will be much harder, but provide even more biking speedup, as it will will be more reduction proportionally. I just need to keep the muscle mass as I reduce. I've been doing a little gym as well as lots of MTB for that reason.

I've gave myself a little pause this winter because I got a little freaked out at being so much smaller after being so big for a couple decades. I wanted to give my new set of smaller clothes some time to wear, but mostly time for my mind and body to become accustomed to being smaller before going further. After a few months, I'm only now mentally starting to see myself as too big. I felt if I did too much reduction too quick, I'd also rebound back up quickly. This happened over 15 years ago when I got down to 175, only gain back 100 lbs in a few years. I decided not to diet again until I figured out how to do it right - how to change my habits permanently. So I'm going slow and carefully now - for the long term.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Jun 2004
    Congrats on the weight loss... I on the other hand am still a fatass.

I dont want to be greedy and op for all 3, but If that red and black Izumi jersey hasnt found a home, I'd put it to good use.

Members who have read this thread: 0