(OT) Stolen 1985 4runner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

(OT) Stolen 1985 4runner

(EDIT 9/18/2010 Truck has been found.)
    Last edited by SinglePivot; 09-18-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Butcher
    Have you checked back at Hollister Hills yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sucks, but the reality is that whoever stole it has probably torn it down already and has either sold the parts or is using. Check craigslist for suspension bits and what not. 85 was last year of solid axle front and first year of efi right? or was it 84 and you just converted over to solid axle?

Fuggers are gonna burn in hell.

mtbr member
    sucks to hear man! A few things to think about. Did you report it? I hope so. How much gas did you have in it? Did they maybe have to stop and put some in at a gas station nearby? You can do a lot of this investigating yourself. That truck will stick out like a sore thumb so I might have already been dumped. You need to drive (sorry or bike) around the area and see where CCTV cameras are and ask to check them. These types of car/truck don't get stolen as much because they are too recognizable. There has to be a reason why they picked yours such as parts, wheels, or engine parts. Put the pic on craigslist and all 4X4 sites. Hope you get it back.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon
    85 was last year of solid axle front and first year of efi right?
    Yep. It 's the most desirable year for the early pickups and 4Runners.

aka dan51
    Are your buddies pulling a prank on you? Maybe they are pimping your ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    What are you talking about. It's already pimp!

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    Are your buddies pulling a prank on you? Maybe they are pimping your ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -Been reported to PD
    -1/10th of a tank of gas
    -Stolen for the parts parts parts

It's got to be a neighborhood rat since I don't normally drive it. Most of the time it sits covered in dust. Drove it around in the 'hood last to charge the battery. Next day gone.

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    sucks to hear man! A few things to think about. Did you report it? I hope so. How much gas did you have in it? Did they maybe have to stop and put some in at a gas station nearby? You can do a lot of this investigating yourself. That truck will stick out like a sore thumb so I might have already been dumped. You need to drive (sorry or bike) around the area and see where CCTV cameras are and ask to check them. These types of car/truck don't get stolen as much because they are too recognizable. There has to be a reason why they picked yours such as parts, wheels, or engine parts. Put the pic on craigslist and all 4X4 sites. Hope you get it back.

banned
    Apr 2010
    It will be found without wheels, possibly the bumpers and winch, too.

Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004
    How did your Corolla ride with those shocks in it?

Silence! I kill you!
    I'd drive on all the streets in the area, as well as the the commercial lots. I'll keep my eye out since I'm in the same area.

I know the feeling well, since my Jeep was stolen a couple years ago. Had about as much gas as yours, and the PD found it a few blocks away.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Like it was on stilts.

Quote Originally Posted by burmer_skark
    How did your Corolla ride with those shocks in it?

Medium?
    That sucks man. Nice rig. I reposted it here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-pacific-m...ml#post5893669 and here:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...ml#post5893688

You should find the right spot to post it over on pirate4x4.com.

I'm guessing it crossed the border into Mexico about the time you reported it stolen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks Eddy, I posted on pirate in the stolen section earlier today.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    That sucks man. Nice rig. I reposted it here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-pacific-m...ml#post5893669 and here:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...ml#post5893688

You should find the right spot to post it over on pirate4x4.com.

I'm guessing it crossed the border into Mexico about the time you reported it stolen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    suckssss dude!

does it have dual cases? do you know the marlin adapter number?

which high steer arms? anything that would set them apart from others if i saw the parts around?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    I thought we'd dealt with all the Toyota theft lately, but apparently not..

If this helps out at all there was a wrinkled up 88-early 90's blue yota pickup traveling north this evening around 8pm out of San Jose past Hamilton going North with a boatload of crap stuffed in the bed, sagging with an attempt to cover it all with a blue tarp. Any recognition of that rig?? Might be a good clue..

*Aside from ih8mud, post it to Pirate4x4, Yotatech, TTORA, and Ultimateyota's sites.

Also check in w/ Jeff @ Toy Connection and also Comersons.

Same offer I gave to Kevin when his red Runner was stolen I'll give to you. If it's recovered and intact I'll help you with the security on it.

Hidden switches, etc, all easy to do..unless they have a flatbed w/ a winch in that case they just drive off with it.
    Last edited by Obi; 09-16-2010 at 11:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yep, it has marlin dual cases.

Quote Originally Posted by trailripper
    suckssss dude!

does it have dual cases? do you know the marlin adapter number?

which high steer arms? anything that would set them apart from others if i saw the parts around?
    Last edited by SinglePivot; 09-18-2010 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That is a bad sign.... thanks for the heads up. next specialty vehicle is getting a line lock.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    I thought we'd dealt with all the Toyota theft lately, but apparently not..

If this helps out at all there was a wrinkled up 88-early 90's blue yota pickup traveling north this evening around 8pm out of San Jose past Hamilton going North with a boatload of crap stuffed in the bed, sagging with an attempt to cover it all with a blue tarp. Any recognition of that rig?? Might be a good clue..

*Aside from ih8mud, post it to Pirate4x4, Yotatech, TTORA, and Ultimateyota's sites.

Also check in w/ Jeff @ Toy Connection and also Comersons.

Same offer I gave to Kevin when his red Runner was stolen I'll give to you. If it's recovered and intact I'll help you with the security on it.

Hidden switches, etc, all easy to do..unless they have a flatbed w/ a winch in that case they just drive off with it.

Bike Geek

ouch

As far as auto thefts, older Toyotas are pretty easy to heist. Both the trucks and cars (think camry) get stolen a lot in California. That being said, it may be in East San Jose somewhere, as it may have been just joyrided and not stripped....if you are lucky. Auto theft sucks, and I hope you get your truck back!
    RIP AL DAVIS

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Worst case, pick up a early 90's p/u or Runner and build it up w/ a 3.4 swap instead of the 3.0.

Uncle
    I watched a guy try to steal my brother's friend's 80's 4runner a few years ago at the butt crack of dawn: Warm night/early morning in Portland, couldn't sleep. Sat up from my upstairs bed to see what I thought was a paper delivery guy, based on the sound of the vehicle that pulled up. Looked out the window in time to see the guy walk up and bust the passenger window. I yelled at him and he jumped into the passenger seat of the the waiting vehicle and they sped off.

Cop said that the 80s & 90s Toyotas were easily stolen because what amounted to a Toyota skeleton key (lots of tiny, spring-loaded teeth in a series on a key that could mimic any original key) had become all too common on the streets. When hotwiring isn't necessary, the game is all too easy.

My wife's Honda was lifted a few years ago, one of many older Accords in the area to get jacked. Since these incidents, ignition switch and lock design has become much more important to me.

Hope you turn it up soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Recovered it tonight!

It's missing the radio/cb and some recovery equipment. Waterpump broke and I think that caused them to ditch it on the outskirts of downtown san jose.

Thanks everyone and thanks Eddie for posting it on the Ih8mud forum.

Need to go pick up a slider window tomorrow.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador
    I watched a guy try to steal my brother's friend's 80's 4runner a few years ago at the butt crack of dawn: Warm night/early morning in Portland, couldn't sleep. Sat up from my upstairs bed to see what I thought was a paper delivery guy, based on the sound of the vehicle that pulled up. Looked out the window in time to see the guy walk up and bust the passenger window. I yelled at him and he jumped into the passenger seat of the the waiting vehicle and they sped off.

Cop said that the 80s & 90s Toyotas were easily stolen because what amounted to a Toyota skeleton key (lots of tiny, spring-loaded teeth in a series on a key that could mimic any original key) had become all too common on the streets. When hotwiring isn't necessary, the game is all too easy.

My wife's Honda was lifted a few years ago, one of many older Accords in the area to get jacked. Since these incidents, ignition switch and lock design has become much more important to me.

Hope you turn it up soon.

Uncle
    Wow, congrats man. Glad you came out only a bit behind on this. Did they bother to dust for prints?

banned
    Apr 2010
    Did they overheat it? Glad you got it back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I don't think they dusted it. Not sure if it overheated but possible. waterpump shaft wobbles and I can't see any coolant in the radiator. Thief check it too since the radaitor cap was loose. It was found about 5-6mi away from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    Did they overheat it? Glad you got it back.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    I don't think they dusted it. Not sure if it overheated but possible. waterpump shaft wobbles and I can't see any coolant in the radiator. Thief check it too since the radaitor cap was loose. It was found about 5-6mi away from my house.

Are you absolutely sure it's your engine in there?

I guarantee they swapped out the motor, seen this done about 4 times in the Folsom area lately.

PM me if you want to take me up on the security stuff. I'll shoot you the info.

Also, is it possible to park it on the side or back of your place like some people I know do in So-Cal?

**IH8mud to the rescue?? Go out and engrave your last 6 of the vin on the trans and get the case divider serial #'s down.
    If it's a Marlin built one, call him or Mikey to get their serial info they hide on the inside so you don't have to take it apart to find out.

Preventative stuff, you know.

Silence! I kill you!
    Glad you got it back! My father in law is the UPS driver for the Bernal rd area (a little farther south) and he mentioned he would watch out for it. Guess he won't need to now
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    SP and Eddy..I'd go ahead and pull your pics and plate info from the posts, both here and in other forums since there's no sense in advertising you have a nicely build rig and all the info for it in public view.

If it's any consolation, secure the thing, Tony ZTwiddy, former pres of TLCA and PMC Member had his stolen not too long ago and it didn't come back in as nice a shape.

Like I say, Security, Security, Security.

Oh, that and a shotgun.

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats great

Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    (EDIT 9/18/2010 Truck has been found.)
    you got it back.

Medium?
    That freakin rocks!!! Congrats!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0