Thread: OT: skin care

fc
    head minion Administrator

OT: skin care

My face is breaking down from years of sun, wind, dirt. Good products to protect us from the onset of mountain biking induced wear and tear?

Don't make me break in to my wife's hornet's nest of products.
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    My face is breaking down from years of sun, wind, dirt. Good products to protect us from the onset of mountain biking induced wear and tear?

Better living through chemistry, man! Go for it.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

My wife always has unfinished hand me down products she passes onto me. Luckily she's not into the peachy or rosy scents.

Sunsceen she says is the most important. Prevention vs. treatment. But it might be too late for you!

mtbr member
    Yes, the key seems to be sunscreen and regular use of "moisturizer" (aka lotion). I doubt most of the marketed extra stuff in those lotions is doing anything special, but not letting your skin stay dry is the important part. My wife gave me some lotion with 35spf or something that is nice for everyday use in the summer too. And extra important for me and my vitiligo when me hands get so much sun while driving

Or just pour out of some your bottle at the start of each ride and make a mud mask! Moisturizing, shielding and very high SPF!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post

Or just pour out of some your bottle at the start of each ride and make a mud mask! Moisturizing, shielding and very high SPF!
    Plus, we can't see your face. Bonus!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/MQlJ3vOp6nI

I should have listened to most of his advise.

Problem with sunscreen, keeps getting in the eyes. Specially when i ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    They need to start making that stuff in men's scents. You know, diesel fuel, locker room, spilled beer...
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    They need to start making that stuff in men's scents. You know, diesel fuel, locker room, spilled beer...
    I mixed some 1oz spray bottles of motor oil, gear oil, and I-don't-remember-what-else as "man scent" gag gifts for my brother-in-laws one Christmas. It was incredible how just smelling like that made me feel so much manlier and more capable of fixing things, lol

Not helpful.
    From the comics this morning:

OT: skin care-tundra.jpg
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Get an Umbrella bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fading away
    Vine Vera has some great products.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

Uncle
    Fixed it:
    My face is breaking down from years.
    Worth researching the differences between lotions, balms, moisturizers, etc.

Then pony up for the botox

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    Reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/MQlJ3vOp6nI

I should have listened to most of his advise.

Problem with sunscreen, keeps getting in the eyes. Specially when i ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Pure GOLD.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Use Blue Lizard "Sensitive" Sunscreen (10% Zinc oxide + 5% titanium dioxide, and none of those oxy-benzy chemicals) when in the sun.

Use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream everywhere not in the sun & afterwards. If you consider using chamois butter to prevent skin chafing anywhere, try the CeraVe there instead.

These work for my old skin, when I remember to use 'em. Good luck figuring out what works for you.

Catfish ...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    Use Blue Lizard "Sensitive" Sunscreen (10% Zinc oxide + 5% titanium dioxide, and none of those oxy-benzy chemicals) when in the sun.

Use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream everywhere not in the sun & afterwards. If you consider using chamois butter to prevent skin chafing anywhere, try the CeraVe there instead.

These work for my old skin, when I remember to use 'em. Good luck figuring out what works for you.

Catfish ...
    Thank you. Great info.

I think skin care is a late realization for many with an active lifestyle. Many of just, live, play, out in the sun and then boom... look like a raisin. Or much worse... cancer.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Look into the Arbonne mens skincare products. I can't say I've tried them but everything we have tried from them has been quality stuff....at a high MSRP but you're loaded so that's not an issue.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i married a woman from Taiwan. that entire country takes (at least the women) skin care to the next level.

sun-screen is a must have. my wife goops it on. i joke that she looks like a kabuki dancer. my wife buys a sunscreen from Japan. it isnt even FDA approved. it is approved in all EU countries. it is the best. no burning of the eyes, and it feels like naked skin when you rub it on.

its the sun that is aging us. me, i look like a hammered turd. but it isnt to late..i hope. i am trying to make sunscreen a habit.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you. Great info.

I think skin care is a late realization for many with an active lifestyle. Many of just, live, play, out in the sun and then boom... look like a raisin. Or much worse... cancer.
    This is no joke. And don't assume that non-melanoma = all good! What I learned from my derm as a result of my squamous cell carcinoma that got rowdy is that playing in the evening and in the morning is cruxy. Our family has adjusted our lifestyle to do so by and large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I recommend Cerave products. Very high quality... don't feel oily on the face. You can get some with spf in it for outdoor days.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i married a woman from Taiwan. that entire country takes (at least the women) skin care to the next level.

sun-screen is a must have. my wife goops it on. i joke that she looks like a kabuki dancer. my wife buys a sunscreen from Japan. it isnt even FDA approved. it is approved in all EU countries. it is the best. no burning of the eyes, and it feels like naked skin when you rub it on.

its the sun that is aging us. me, i look like a hammered turd. but it isnt to late..i hope. i am trying to make sunscreen a habit.
    I've never put on sunscreen in my life since I thought I was blessed with natural sun protected pacific islander skin. It's true for sure but I do notice the years of neglect on my face. I IS not a big deal but in 20 years, it might be.

And really, I'm just looking out for y'all.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've never put on sunscreen in my life since I thought I was blessed with natural sun protected pacific islander skin. It's true for sure but I do notice the years of neglect on my face. I IS not a big deal but in 20 years, it might be.

And really, I'm just looking out for y'all.
    i'm tanish as well.

i once took a health quiz online from Kaiser Permanente. the quiz was titled, "how long can you expect to live?" there were the usual questions about how much booze you drink, do you smoke? you know, the usual suspects.

what did surprise me: i think there were 45 questions in total. i bet 22 of them were skin related. sunscreen questions. do you wear a floppy hat? etc.

it shocked me enough to mention the quiz to my doctor. she said, day to day life..the sun takes out way more of us than other usual vices. i was blown away. it is a very big deal.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    oh, the answer i got from the quiz..

"your friends shouldnt loan you any money"... jk..i am a pillar of health.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.