OT: Sierra Road, Sept. 11- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

OT: Sierra Road, Sept. 11

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=223496

It is time to answer the call of the mighty Sierra Road. We will have three ride levels, A, B, C. The workout in each one will be animated.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    DAMN! Almaden day that day, which I am forced to go to every year via the in-laws. Otherwise, I'd totally be there. Really enjoyed it last time (even though I was dropped like a big piece of poo).

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    DAMN! Almaden day that day, which I am forced to go to every year via the in-laws. Otherwise, I'd totally be there. Really enjoyed it last time (even though I was dropped like a big piece of poo).
    You showed up to the last one? And we dropped you? If we did, it was Rox. A couple guys are threatening to go up sierra road with their daughters in trailer bikes.
    Last edited by fc; 09-08-2010 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Eh... I'm confused. I'm thinking of Hamilton.

Sierra also sounds spicy, though.

More Torque
    Watch out for this guy; he's been known to prowl the east foothills....

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Sierra Road, Sept. 11-2010_08_29_hamilton_22.jpg  

fc
    I thought that boy only rides little bikes now.

from Diesel on Vimeo.

fc

mtbr member

Haha...I got schooled on that pixie race!

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I thought that boy only rides little bikes now.

from Diesel on Vimeo.

fc
    I got passed like gas from a cow's ass!
    Anyways, I am planning on riding the MTB and joining in on the pain/fun road ride this Saturday Second thought, maybe I'll bring the BMX
    Just kidding...I'll be happy bringing up the rear and sweeping the slow group...are beer filled water bottles allowed?

mtbr member

Haha Diesel!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~

-D
    Diesel, Thanks for giving me a 90 minute head start so I could almost beat you to the Lick Observatory! That was a great ride and such a sweet descent!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like I'll make it, couldn't get the time off of work to hit up annadel... See you guys tomorrow. I can already feel the burn..

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~

-D
    Doesn't this guy eat Pinarello's for powerbars

mtbr member
    I was planning to go, but just picked up some tix to the baseball game instead. Last minute change of plans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Sierra Road, Sept. 11-img_1440.jpg  

Last edited by grrrah; 09-10-2010 at 11:09 AM.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I was planning to go, but just picked up some tix to the baseball game instead. Last minute change of plans.
    That is a darn good excuse. Can you take my kid?

This may be like the Mt. Hamilton Superbowl ride wrhere 75 people showed up.

btw grrrah, the filipino ride up Sierra road is this sunday. Lechon time!!!

fc
    Last edited by fc; 09-10-2010 at 02:09 PM.

bike dork extraordinaire
    I can't make it this time, but I loaned mr. waitweenie my 16 lb Look bike. Let the hurting commence!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    I can't make it this time, but I loaned mr. waitweenie my 16 lb Look bike. Let the hurting commence!
    You traitor!! That's why weinie didn't want to ride this... his non-wiener bianchi. You should put some tape on your downtube to stop the dreaded chipseal pebbles!

Anyway, there could be 5 people or maybe 50 like the last one. Who's coming btw? Who's coming in an mtb?

Our last ride had a couple riders:

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I'm not even a Giants fan and I'm jealous. Have fun!

mtbr member
    FC 2 road rides this weekend

rho
    Life is strange
    Wish I could make this, but have to go into work tomorrow.
    My cross bike misses hanging out with other roadbike sort of things.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You traitor!! That's why weinie didn't want to ride this... his non-wiener bianchi. You should put some tape on your downtube to stop the dreaded chipseal pebbles!
    Thought I would see what its like on the light side of the spectrum... Watch out for a Carbon LOOK riding itself up the hill I'm just along for the ride. Alex went and beat me up over at Demo today so my legs will be nice and tight...

Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    In a lame attempt to get the jump on everyone, Francois changed the start location last srecond

The old directions were wrong!

Meeting place is here. This is a big parking lot that can fit a few dozen cars. Berryessa is an exit off highway 680

3094 Berryessa Rd, San Jose, CA.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...01236&t=h&z=17

Be there by 8:30 so you can meet everyone!!

edit: fixed per Ukbloke

padded
    Excellent ride, guys - thanks for organizing it! Cracked 32 min up Sierra, hung tough above the reservoir, socialized and still made it home by 11:30, thereby ensuring domestic harmony.
    IMO Stud of the Day Award goes to the guy who pulled his daughter in a Burley up both Sierra and the Calaveras wall, chatting with her the whole way. They don't make a gear small enough that would let me do that.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

fc
    Hey, you know it's going to be a good ride when my wife's baking goodies at 5am. She wanted to help out so she whipped up a couple things to tie us over before lunch.

The group at the lot was a good size as we had around 20 people present. Everybody was ready except for a couple stragglers and our C group leader who was yet to arrive. We did a couple of sweeps at the wrong meeting spot location just to make sure there were no lost souls out there.
    From 2010-09-10

The B group went off with some sandbaggers and the UK man pedaled off with them. But instead of an alleycat tandem bike, He used a straight up bike carriage. That meant he had no assist on this climb.
    From Desktop

After a while, the A group took off and we instructed the C's of Sebastian, Gary, and Ken to wait for their leader Thien. The warm-up was awesome with about 600 yards and about 5 feet of elevation change. Then Sierra Road hit and the some of the upstart A's launched their attacks. Derek and I were smart as we just backpedaled.
    From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

And then we came up to the great UK who was pedaling at 100 rpms while his daughter chatted away. I interviewed him a little bit but he sounded delirious and was rattling off physics.

Then we came up on Gregg Kato of mtbr and he was the picture of pain. I'm not sure if he's climbed Sierra before and and I'm not sure if he will again.
    From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

We crowned our King of the mountain champs Chris, Tosa and Paul. Times were 27.5 minutes and a couple 28 minutes I think.

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

We then did the descent to Felter Calaveras. The first part was super awesome and the next couple of miles was the chipseal. Basically, it was a non-event. Some people bombed it and a few just took their time.
    From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

We then hooked up with the C group at Calaveras and tackled the mini wall. And as we took off. Ali, called us back to say the Ken was still helping some stranded cyclists. Good call and good deed so we waited. Then Ken came and launched an attack so we dropped him
    From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

The neutral zone lasted for about 10 seconds as Heythorp quickly picked up the pace. Ken followed attentively as experience told him that the ride festivities were about to commence. Some of the heavy hitters were caught in the back and were never to be heard from again.

It was at this point that Chris launched a vicious attack and opened up a 20 yard gap. No one could follow as Dr. Wheels and I just looked at each other. We knew he couldn't solo the whole way so it was ok. But then 2nd place KOM Tosa launched and bridged the gap to Chris. We knew we had to follow and the peloton blew apart. After the smoke cleared. It was Chris, Tosa, Me and Dr. Wheels far ahead of the group. Chris kept pulling as Tosa was not comfortable up front. Dr. Wheels and I had a cocktail at the back and enjoyed the view. We took some pulls and Tosa and Dr. Wheels fell back at the crest of the hill. We then regrouped and coasted together all the way to Welch Creek.

A bee hit my shin and stung me. Bastard. It only hurts when I'm sober.

So we rested and were surprised the whole A group and B group roll in. C group came in as well to the very end. Must be a nice day. Or nobody wanted to wait out in the sun.
    From Desktop

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

And then we rolled and rolled. The gradual climb to the top came easy as folks just took it easy.
    From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

A small breakaway of Dr. John, Ebrider, Ken and Heythorp formed up front and two of them escaped for the day. At the top of Calaveras, we did a regroup and gathered up the motivated. We waited for them so we could drop them

Ali with beautiful Raleigh launched an attack and kept waiting and waiting for us to come. He slowed up so we passed him and spit him off the back. It was all civil until Chris launched a vicious attack once more and yelled something like 'want it, get it!'. I followed him and the rest of the crew was dropped. Then Chris tired and I started upping the tempo. He kept following but kept yelping 'make it stop, make it stop...'. So we sat up and enjoyed the view. Bustamove who was quiet all day then showed up with Tosa. Then Sebastian who flew in from a far away land rolled with us to. We saw EBrider and Dr. John at the regroup point and we all hung out for a while.

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

So we got back to the cars and ate and drank like kings. EBrider's Belgian beers were off the hook. We hung out for a long while then everybody left as I waited for Thien and the gang. It turns out Ken got a flat and they all waited with him. They rolled in too and we ate and drank some more. Meanwhile, Ratpick who climbed to the moon rolled in as well.

It was a good day.
    From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

From 2010-09-10

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I lived and grew up right at the bottom of Sierra Rd. I would ride my bikes up there all of the time. I used to do that ride on my first mtn bike in the mid 80's. I tried to ride down it on my skateboard when I was in 7th grade and had road rash and broken bones for months afterwards.

Roadbiking pics just don't look as cool as mtbiking pics. Looks like fun was had by all.

Members who have read this thread: 0