Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: RC Cars

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    Hey fc not sure if you're aware of rccrawler.com what a great sight for Scale rigs, some pretty awesome builds. I used to be into Scale Crawling Competitions a few years ago and it was very easy to plunk 900.00-1400.00 into a rig.

If you want to drool over scale wheels/parts head over to Vanquish Products web site and check out the replica Method wheels and such. RPP Hobby is also a great site for scale parts. That hobby can be addicting.
    Right on. I know some guys at rccrawler.

Yeah, I know Vanquish. RC4wd too. 3d printed bodies are becoming a thing now too. Crazy and expensive for sure.

Not nowhere like bikes though. Nope.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fc;13541851]
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post

Yeah, i'm riding with a backpack. Ebikes, yeah those work well for the 3 mile 2500 climb with big pack.

Where do you live??

I know I'm in danger with snakes. The rocks I go to are so rugged and grass strewn. When the weather warms up, bad news.

Where/when was your photo taken?
    Im in Fremont/Warm Springs.
    That pic was last year near the rocks on the right before last grate on the Stanford side.
    I would assume if you go up there enough eventually a crawler is going to piss off one of these guys. I've come across them numerous times descending the rocks from the top and they are always in my line .
    BTW, awesome that you are getting up there with the RC on a bike.
    I've been been waiting for that Bronco to get released!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I gotta admit I have been lurking this thread forever thinking about how cool RC was but how my only experience with it was smashing my sweet Christmas present into the ground when I was 12 and then that toy was done.

Now you guys have me interested again with this crawler thing. My house is kinda woodsy with a steep hillside for a back yard and deer trails running all up and down it. I even built a short little mountain bike trail out there last year. I don't think I want to get knee deep in yet another time suck hobby, but what is up with this crawler thing? Can I get into it and buy a couple of batteries and not have to worry too much about smashing some $500 toy if I'm just crawling it around my backyard? Is there a way to try it out to see if it is even fun for me in the first place?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    I gotta admit I have been lurking this thread forever thinking about how cool RC was but how my only experience with it was smashing my sweet Christmas present into the ground when I was 12 and then that toy was done.

Now you guys have me interested again with this crawler thing. My house is kinda woodsy with a steep hillside for a back yard and deer trails running all up and down it. I even built a short little mountain bike trail out there last year. I don't think I want to get knee deep in yet another time suck hobby, but what is up with this crawler thing? Can I get into it and buy a couple of batteries and not have to worry too much about smashing some $500 toy if I'm just crawling it around my backyard? Is there a way to try it out to see if it is even fun for me in the first place?
    Heck ya!!!! There is no trial unfortunately. But buy the popular Traxxas TRX4 and sell it if you don't like it. It will cost you $50-$100 at most even with good use.

The key is to find/make rocks and obstacles. You'll see the landscape in different ways.

Get the TRX4 Bronco on the right. Buy just one 5000mah lipo battery since it lasts about 3 hours per charge.
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...-4-sun/p740222

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2992/p581147

OT: RC Cars-img_4741.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah that is exactly the one I was looking at based on you guys reviving this thread. I saw a bunch of your videos on that thing and it made me think that finally after 30 years there might be something for me in this hobby that won't break in an hour. I figure I can also take it to my bike races and dork out after I ride.

Is there a local South Bay or Santa Cruz shop you guys recommend buying from or are they all gone now?

mtbr member
    I've been itching to get an RC the last couple weeks. I bought the little Team associated sc28 to mess around with my cats and ever since then I want something bigger. Doesn't help that my coworkers have some buggies themselves. I was looking at a crawlers though as I think it would be more enjoyable, especially camping. I've been eyeing the Vaterra Ascender and Axial Wraith Spawn. I see fc recommending the trx4 non stop. Any things/differences a newb should know about? Before I buy the wrong one

fc
    Yeah that is exactly the one I was looking at based on you guys reviving this thread. I saw a bunch of your videos on that thing and it made me think that finally after 30 years there might be something for me in this hobby that won't break in an hour. I figure I can also take it to my bike races and dork out after I ride.

Is there a local South Bay or Santa Cruz shop you guys recommend buying from or are they all gone now?
    It seems like they're all gone now. Sheldons and Hobbytown are around but don't seem to carry much inventory now. Amainhobbies in Chico is king for online or visit.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    I've been itching to get an RC the last couple weeks. I bought the little Team associated sc28 to mess around with my cats and ever since then I want something bigger. Doesn't help that my coworkers have some buggies themselves. I was looking at a crawlers though as I think it would be more enjoyable, especially camping. I've been eyeing the Vaterra Ascender and Axial Wraith Spawn. I see fc recommending the trx4 non stop. Any things/differences a newb should know about? Before I buy the wrong one
    Main difference is there's true rock crawlers like the Wraith that crawl big rocks and look like spiders. Then there's rock racers like the Yeti which crawl a little bit and go fast too. And then there's the sweet category called Scale and Trail crawlers that look like scale vehicles and are rock crawlers and trail rollers.

Axial Racing - vehicles

Other thing to note is you need a lipo battery and charger for at least $100 to enjoy the hobby and the 2 hour runtimes!

Also, stock servo and electronics and tires are not that awesome so expect to spend another $200 shortly.
    IPA will save America

fc
    This is a good review of the options.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout/

The Redcat is junk! I have it.

The HPI is too pricey for what it is.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    This is a good review of the options.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout/

The Redcat is junk! I have it.

The HPI is too pricey for what it is.
    That looks like a very thorough review. I will make time to read it rather than just skipping to the end like I just did.

Sorry for the noob questions, but is there any reason to consider cross-compatibility between brands? Like if I buy a Traxxas crawler but I don't like any of their other vehicles am I stuck with the Traxxas transmitter that doesn't work with a vehicle from, say Axial?

fc
    That looks like a very thorough review. I will make time to read it rather than just skipping to the end like I just did.

Sorry for the noob questions, but is there any reason to consider cross-compatibility between brands? Like if I buy a Traxxas crawler but I don't like any of their other vehicles am I stuck with the Traxxas transmitter that doesn't work with a vehicle from, say Axial?
    This is an even better comparison. It's only 2 cars but if you beat Axial, you've taken the crown.
    Axial SCX10 II vs. Traxxas TRX-4 [HEAD TO HEAD] - RC Car Action

So pretty much all radio systems are interchangeable. The transmitter/receiver are a pair and they will work the common servo or esc/speed control. So one can use the Axial radio on a Traxxas or Vaterra.

The stock kit radios are not very good so they're basically starter systems to get someone going. Enthusiasts usually upgrade to a Spektrum or Futaba to control all their cars from one transmitter.

The one thing that is an issue these days is number of channels or number of functions the transmitter can control. Most vehicles are 2 or 3 but the current Traxxas TRX4 is 5 channel since it has locking differentials and transmission that is remotely controlled.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Can i just have them all?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They're just $500 Pokemen.

fc
    They're expensive but that kind of money won't even buy a bike. Maybe, a seatpost.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Can't tell you how many people i've run into from the MTB world who are also into RC crawlers and vice verse. Guess it's something to do with trails, rocks, and figuring out the best lines lol. Here's a couple shots of my crawler. Also been heavy into the RC heli side of the hobby as well for many years.OT: RC Cars-crawler-3.jpgOT: RC Cars-crawler-1.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
    Can't tell you how many people i've run into from the MTB world who are also into RC crawlers and vice verse. Guess it's something to do with trails, rocks, and figuring out the best lines lol. Here's a couple shots of my crawler. Also been heavy into the RC heli side of the hobby as well for many years.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crawler 3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	1187682

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crawler 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	1187683
    So much win. I think I'll convert my pump track to a crawl track. #needrocks
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    FC nice rigs and vids BTW. Next time your up riding at Annadel you should bring your rigs and check out a spot called Flat Rock. It's around the corner from the Trail House and offers a lot of fun crawling. It's basically the hub of regular activities for the Sonoma County Scalers (FB group). Best part is every second Sunday of the month there is a big get together with a marked off trail run, raffle, and general shenanigans. Had about 60-70 people show up last Sunday. It always starts at 11am and wraps up around 2-3 but people can stay longer if they like......or of course head out for a ride at Annadel and beers at the Trail House.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-flatrock.jpg  

OT: RC Cars-crawler-2-.jpg  

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fil View Post
    FC nice rigs and vids BTW. Next time your up riding at Annadel you should bring your rigs and check out a spot called Flat Rock. It's around the corner from the Trail House and offers a lot of fun crawling. It's basically the hub of regular activities for the Sonoma County Scalers (FB group). Best part is every second Sunday of the month there is a big get together with a marked off trail run, raffle, and general shenanigans. Had about 60-70 people show up last Sunday. It always starts at 11am and wraps up around 2-3 but people can stay longer if they like......or of course head out for a ride at Annadel and beers at the Trail House.
    Thank you, thank you. Bikin and crawlin... so sweet. And Santa Rosa's got the hookup huh? Gotta extend my stay there.

Rockville looks like the same potential. Downieville and Tahoe too.

Locally, I've been bringing my crawler on rides. Santa Teresa and Mission Peak!! Much more workable with an ebike.

OT: RC Cars-28701173_10156053420503213_623784661971193954_o.jpgRocky Ridge

OT: RC Cars-28828511_10156054068783213_4442629061428822022_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yup, anytime your coming through SR hit me up and I can give you the tour. I live a few blocks from the crawl spot and Annadel.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Not into crawling, but I occassionaly race 2wd buggies and stadium trucks on outdoor dirt/clay tracks. I also have an 8s Traxxas XMax basher, which is absolutely ludicrous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    SOmething I found out recently: it is a lot easier to build an rc track (short course) than a pump track. I've wanted to do a pump track for years but the amount of dirt to buy and move has kept it a pipe dream. But my 11 year old son and I scratched out a decent fun figure 8 rc track with features in two days of not hard work. I'm sure it will be a hit with him and his friends with RC cars.

We are lucky in the Santa Rosa area to have a decent track 10 minutes from our house, which is fun, but now he will be able to do it at home when I'm at work, and I won't have to give up ride time to do it with him.

fc
    OT: RC Cars-img_6948.jpg

We went rc'in!!!!
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    I don't know much about RC stuff, but this looks pretty fun. I used to race slot cars as a kid, that was really a good time.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I don't know much about RC stuff, but this looks pretty fun. I used to race slot cars as a kid, that was really a good time.
    RC is very interesting if you have a track to race on to do laps and race. But they're few and far between in Norcal.

But then came rock crawlers and they are awesome since you can do it at any rocky, steep areas like parks, beaches, trails. One battery lasts about two hours. And they don't break as much.

I met up with some new friends yesterday.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Crazy how realistic those traxxis Defenders are...you almost can't tell the difference. Love this thread. I've been into both RC and MTB's for a while and sold onto the Traxxas 1/16th platform where i have an e-revo and and rally 1/16 with multiple bodies. People say how its expensive but if you scour flebay and are careful in getting low mileage stuff its pretty cheap. Asside from a ECU or motor parts are dirt cheap and easy to fix once you get to know your rig (just like knowing your bikes).
    Also to reiterate what happend to Mark Wier and his fire...that almost happend to me...charge you lipo's out side and watch'm and don't let your kids charge...fires happen people.
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

fc
    It's that time of year. RC time!!!!

Who's buying an rc this xmas?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mackdhagen View Post
    Crazy how realistic those traxxis Defenders are...you almost can't tell the difference...
    It's pretty wild what some folk's will do with hardbody builds too (more fragile though). Full interiors and the like!

Some decent paint and mild detailing goes a long way even with lexan. My poor mother thought my TRX4 was real when she first saw this photo.

OT: RC Cars-fj79_rc.jpg

fc
    Very nice! What is that body? Close-ups please
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    My interest is piqued! That big bowl up at Arastradero would be a perfect place for a race track. Group of guys, do a ride, race some RC....that could be cool.

This would seem like a fun model to start with?

Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 12-11-2018 at 11:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I've got a Nitro tmaxx that I haven't used in a few years now. Motor is probably rusted albeit a warranty replacement.

I'd like to get 'er fired up again but I never make time. And the Nitro ones are pretty noisy to drive up and down the street. Now that I've discoverd MTB, some of the trails I ride would be fun to take the truck on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Very nice! What is that body? Close-ups please
    Super cheap lexan body from asiatees. It's not particularly consistent out of the mold, lots of thin parts that have torn or cracked that I've needed to repair. The bed was too low to mount and so I cut it out and replaced it with styrene, and I need to find a better solution for painting certain hard to reach spots. The red body is already trashed, so hopefully close-up's of no.2 will do! I'll probably go Pro-line F150 or 4runner next time.

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...d=150412&pid=1

OT: RC Cars-lrm_export_865406558196889_20181211_215322734.jpg

OT: RC Cars-lrm_export_865425537212686_20181211_215341713.jpg

OT: RC Cars-lrm_export_865409672742616_20181211_215325849.jpg

OT: RC Cars-lrm_export_865415440466940_20181211_215331616.jpg

^^^Ready to mix a mtb ride and some RC! I think Rockville could be a rad spot.

Moderator Moderator
    Are there servos in this thing to adjust mid air?? Ordering one.

mtbr member
    Are there servos in this thing to adjust mid air?? Ordering one.

That thing is mental!!

Moderator Moderator
    Even crazier, this one has onboard audio that gives realistic engine sounds. A new hobby, my wife is going to love it......

mtbr member

My favorite thread

Just pulled my 1/16 E-Revo down a few days ago and I've been giving it the business in my front yard the last few days.

A couple months ago I did a full overhaul for the first time on this car.
    new shell, wing and rear body mount, wheels and tires, all bearings replaced, new rear bulkhead, overhauled all three differentials, new servo, and rebuilt the shocks. I also thought it would be a good time to switch from NiMh to LiPo batteries. I couldn't be more happy with how it all turned out.
    Before:
    OT: RC Cars-stp_1751.jpg

OT: RC Cars-stp_1708.jpg

OT: RC Cars-img_20180319_220144_111.jpg

After:
    OT: RC Cars-img_20180420_205110_354.jpgOT: RC Cars-img_20180422_095829_266.jpgOT: RC Cars-img_20181205_183948_351.jpg

fc
    The thing with these fast buggies is... you gotta have a place to run them. City parks and parking lots will only get you so far especially if it's a capable vehicle.

That's one of the reason for the growth of these crawlers. They'll go most anywhere, be it a trail or a rock pile. An since they're slow (with top speed of under 8 mph), they don't break as often either.

For small areas, these 1/14 and 1/16 scale vehicles are good. And 4wd is good if you don't have smooth, groomed surfaces.

I tried a fast little rc a month ago.

IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator

OT: RC Cars

^^^Great advice!! What should I get?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Are there servos in this thing to adjust mid air??
    No servos, just a good driver with excellent throttle control. I can do the same thing with mine. Skate parks are too much fun, until you brake something.OT: RC Cars-20151107_105749.jpg
    The little buggy will do 70mph, but tends to disintegrate if it hits a pebble.
    The monster truck is a modified SC104X4 That I limited to 40 MPH to keep it reliable.
    OT: RC Cars-rc-wheelie-01.jpg
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    This thread is killing me.

I want to fire up mine. haha

I should swing by the hobby shop to see if they can get it fired up (it needs a starter).

I am beginning to remember how finiky the tuning is on the nitro motors though.

The original transmitter was bad. I was flying through a parking lot once and transmitter quite controlling the truck. After it bounced off a car tire and a parking block it finally quite doubling as a pinball.
    At that point I replaced hale the suspension up front (busted up) and installed some electronic servo controller to shut down the throttle for these instances. Maybe a Venon product? Anyway, yeah there are things that test your patience.

Maybe I should unscribe to this thread to prevent any future problems. LOL

Moderator Moderator
    Would this be a good place to start? Something I could do a little crawling, a little jumping, etc.....

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58024slash

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Not really bud. Thats a Short Course/Desert truck. Jumping yes, no crawling though, especially with 2-wheel drive.

Finding a vehicle to do both is not going to be easy. Trucks that are used for scale crawling are horrible at speed and fast trucks are not, by inherent design good for crawling. Although before I got out of RC we were starting to get into Ultra 4 (re: King of Hammers type rigs) about as good as it gets to both disciplines.

Look into the Axial Yeti...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    This thread is killing me.

I want to fire up mine. haha

I should swing by the hobby shop to see if they can get it fired up (it needs a starter).

I am beginning to remember how finiky the tuning is on the nitro motors though.

The original transmitter was bad. I was flying through a parking lot once and transmitter quite controlling the truck. After it bounced off a car tire and a parking block it finally quite doubling as a pinball.
    At that point I replaced hale the suspension up front (busted up) and installed some electronic servo controller to shut down the throttle for these instances. Maybe a Venon product? Anyway, yeah there are things that test your patience.

Maybe I should unscribe to this thread to prevent any future problems. LOL
    Yeah, that is the appeal of electric. Lipo batteries are a bit finnicky so a good charger is key.

Soooo much easier than gas though.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Would this be a good place to start? Something I could do a little crawling, a little jumping, etc.....

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/58024slash
    The 4wd Stampede is good. A 4wd Slash too. This 2wd Slash will be fine too on lots or packed dirt. Traxxas is a great brand.

For a crawler, a Traxxas TRX4 Sport is best.

My rigs...all crawlers.OT: RC Cars-img_1300.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We (I) drank the koolaid... after putting my two Redcat crawlers on CL, browsed around and found two Associated SC10's with batteries and spares just around the corner. So of course had to buy those.

Then, while idly browsing for a third, found an Arrma Typhon for an unpassable deal. So, I got that too. That thing is nucking futs on 4S, and it also takes 6S. What's nice about it is it's so damn heavy it makes mincemeat out of shoddy terrain. I call it "The Chainsaw".

Then, wife suggested we build a track in a corner of our lot, so now there's a 75x30 (?) figure eight track.

Nobody bought the crawlers, and I still have the Mini-8ight. So that makes six RC cars. Madness.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    We (I) drank the koolaid... after putting my two Redcat crawlers on CL, browsed around and found two Associated SC10's with batteries and spares just around the corner. So of course had to buy those.

Then, while idly browsing for a third, found an Arrma Typhon for an unpassable deal. So, I got that too. That thing is nucking futs on 4S, and it also takes 6S. What's nice about it is it's so damn heavy it makes mincemeat out of shoddy terrain. I call it "The Chainsaw".

Then, wife suggested we build a track in a corner of our lot, so now there's a 75x30 (?) figure eight track.

Nobody bought the crawlers, and I still have the Mini-8ight. So that makes six RC cars. Madness.
    Arrma with 6s. Are those legal in most states??
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The track is really pretty small for so much moxie, so it's kind of a "close your eyes and point up the hill and hope for the best" thing. Letting off midair usually results in a front 180 augering the wing into the ground. Fun with chainsaws!

Needless to say, whatever (full size) car has the misfortune to be parked near the beginning of the uphill section is well-covered in dirt clods.

Hilarious.

Took it over to the community RC track a time or two, inaugural run had onlookers yelling "SLOW DOWN" as it hurtled through the air, straight-cut steel gears a-screaming. No, I did not stick the landing, in case you were curious.

Koolaid is yummy.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

fc
    So did anybody git sum dis xmas?
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    So did anybody git sum dis xmas?
    Not yet. But I am building an F1 racing simulator with my son. Wrap around screens, cockpit etc. Pretty crazy!

Freezer
    Anybody into airplanes? RC slope glider acro and full scale Yak 50 dogfight videos.

Pivot Mach 5.5
    Yeti SB4.5

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    Anybody into airplanes? RC slope glider acro and full scale Yak 50 dogfight videos.

So cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    I grew up with planes with pops. Competed even. Then did a couple years of gliders at Coyote Hills in Fremont. I see them at Rancho San Antonio in Los Altos.
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Ok, now this would make me want to get into RC crawlers.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body.asp
    OT: RC Cars-img_1561.jpg
    OT: RC Cars-img_1562.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Ok, now this would make me want to get into RC crawlers.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body.asp
    It sounds like you have a large area to play with in your property and in the land you manage. That's half the problem solved right there!!
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    It sounds like you have a large area to play with in your property and in the land you manage. That's half the problem solved right there!!
    Just what I need. lol Jeni rode my new bike yesterday and is already looking to N+1 her quiver!

The 4wd Stampede is good. A 4wd Slash too. This 2wd Slash will be fine too on lots or packed dirt. Traxxas is a great brand.

For a crawler, a Traxxas TRX4 Sport is best.

My rigs...all crawlers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	1228798
    Nice collection, you need an old K/5 Blazer to round it off.

Name:  57E57FA4-0EE1-4F72-980D-F74D732BEA99.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  32.2 KB
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post

Awesome!
    I grew up riding snowmobiles so this moves me.

mtbr member
    More snow fun

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123