OT: (old school roadie stuff) Laurent Fignon passed away- Mtbr.com
    Paper or plastic?

OT: (old school roadie stuff) Laurent Fignon passed away

Just read that Laurent Fignon died today of cancer at 50. He's the guy who lost the Tour de France to Greg Lemond in 89 after winning it in 83 and 84.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Just read that Laurent Fignon died today of cancer at 50. He's the guy who lost the Tour de France to Greg Lemond in 89 after winning it in 83 and 84.
    Man, that's really sad. I heard him interviewed in this years tour and he had a really raspy voice. Throat cancer of some kind?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Man, that's really sad. I heard him interviewed in this years tour and he had a really raspy voice. Throat cancer of some kind?
    Apparently: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fignon-struggling-on
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So sorry to read about this. He was a great rider.

Let's ride
    RIP. I always liked him.

Had he ridden a bike with the drivetrain on the right side, instead of left, he would have won the timetrail.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles

It's the axle
    What a shame. Only 50. He was looking pretty bad recently.

Luckily I watched that 89 TDF. Real history was made. RIP. Maybe the roads in heaven have the best switchbacks.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho

Had he ridden a bike with the drivetrain on the right side, instead of left, he would have won the timetrail.
    He rides goofy foot - right foot forward - hence the drivetrain.

DUH!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

GMM
    mtbr member
    I really enjoyed watching him back in the day. Too bad he passed at such an early age, but he certainly had some great accomplishments in his life. RIP LF.

padded
    RIP, Laurent. A great all-rounder, not only 2 TdF wins, but also Milan-San Remo and the Giro. Not many riders like that anymore, unfortunately.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Reposer en paix mon ami. Bon voyage!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    When I was a lad, 13ish, I transitioned from BMX to road, the Tour De Pont and Tour De Trump (anyone remember that? Dont know if it was a West Coast Thing) went through central VA....did a lot of road riding, still do. News of Fignon reminds me of these times.

I remember watching Fignon Vs LeMond on CBS on live TV. How exciting!

Fignon had an attitude, so i read, but had style, the glasses and ponytail. Truly iconic. Probably somewhere way down, he may have been a reason I grew my hair out shortly thereafter, that and David Gilmour.

I would not have read of his passing were it not for this post, but went promptly to Velonews, read a bit more about him and his struggles and learned a lot today. 50 is way too young.

Anyway, thanks for posting this and RIP Fignon. I wish I could find a DrunkCyclist post that had all of the living tour winners dressed up and together for a picture, his comments were hilarious - who should have been punching who, etc.

Hey iheartbicycles I had no idea he rocked the left hand drive side I never knew that, and it's interesting to hear that they put it there due to dominant foot which is not something you hear about very often.

PS the Systeme U jersey was geek cool and I should have bought one in 1986 but I didnt have the $ so just settled for the Descente jersey off the bargain rack. Not much changed I guess.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *The photo's flipped, it's part of the new anti-hyperlinking software website's are using these days.

We talked about him today, I had a baguette and some brie in remembrance.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Oh ok. I figured it was legit.

I guess all those safety breaks got the best of me. I ride trials so dominant foot is really important!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    When you think about his defeat to Lemond it is kind of ironic.
    One guy has TT bars and a TT helmet vs a guy without.
    Knowing what we know now about the aero advantage 50 seconds was not that big of a gap.
    Here it was always painted as Fignon being arrogant, but aero stuff was in its infancy in bike racing and back then bike racers were very traditional and suspicious of anything new.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

Members who have read this thread: 0