OT need some Point & Shoot camera recommendation- Mtbr.com
    Paper or plastic?

OT need some Point & Shoot camera recommendation

My 5 yo camera finally died. Any recommendation for a P&S camera that also does 720p recording without breaking the bank (around $200)?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Same boat. I just bought this one.

Slightly more than I wanted to spend...do some searching and you can find it online for ~$250. Generally Sony cameras don't receive the highest reviews, however this one has a really nifty panorama feature. It's really nice, doesn't require the "stitching" of other models. The other nice feature is the fast shutter speed. This thing blows everything else away at 10 shots per second. Since I want to use this primarily for my on bike camera, I thought these two features were the most important.

I only took delivery yesterday, but did take it on my ride. It powers on incredibly fast (nice for the riding), the burst mode of 10 shots per second really captures well cool techy spots well, and the panorama is WAY cool.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    Same boat. I just bought this one.
    Would you mind posting some mtb photos you've taken with this camera? I'm getting ready to retire my Sony Cybershot DSC-T17, which has been a champ, but it kinda sucks in low light, especially with a bike moving by. See attached photo... blurry and spotty (I think I used a flash in the shot). Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT need some Point & Shoot camera recommendation-dsc03670_small.jpg  

Last edited by Empty_Beer; 09-04-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Let's ride
    Decide what's really important to you, low light, photo quality, zoom, wide, burst shooting, price.

i bought a canon s90. quality is excellent as well as low light, burst is horrible. it does do full manual mode, which is nice. the s95 has some improvements.

Rollin 29s
    I also debated between a camera like the Sony with burst and one with better low light/ all around photo ratings like the Canon SD1400. Size was also important to me as I know if it's too big I won't take it with me.

I went with the SD1400. Although it is small and takes great shots, it is slow to refresh for your second shot, and this can cause missed shots. I don't know what the answer would have been because there's not really one that can do it all I don't think: Size, Speed photo quality in most conditions, Hi Definition video, etc.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    @Zorg..give me a call and I'll loan you the Canon Elph SD-750 I just got so you can give it a try before spending your $.

http://reviews.usa.canon.com/3798/14919/reviews.htm

It's not 7.2 but it is 7.1, the videos are just hazy b/c I've been playing with my setup.

aka dan51
    Another thing to keep in mind is battery type. I prefer to buy P&S that run off AA. They may not last as long, but you'll never miss a shot on vacation if you forget the charger. I think AA powered cameras are becoming more difficult to find though, and have a smaller selection of choices.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    Another thing to keep in mind is battery type. I prefer to buy P&S that run off AA. They may not last as long, but you'll never miss a shot on vacation if you forget the charger. I think AA powered cameras are becoming more difficult to find though, and have a smaller selection of choices.
    *Battery leaks happen and suck. The Canon SD battery charger and everything fits nicely in a small package, heck I throw the stuff into my Callaway Caddy Pouch all the time.

Throw a cheapy sweatband over the camera and you never have to worry about scratching the screen during transport.

mtbr member
    Being a camera and video production guy I get kinda picky - but the Casio Exilim EX-FH100 is amazing! HD video, slow motion in various frame rates and nice snap shots.

Here is a shot of my 10 year old throwing a 50mph pitch in slow motion https://destinationproductions.com/c...messlowmo2.mov

Here is snap shot from a couple of weeks ago in Mexico. https://destinationproductions.com/c...ico8_20_10.jpg

Anyway it is about $200
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

fc
    head minion Administrator
    This is a good one for outdoor and/or waterproof

http://reviews.photographyreview.com...gital-cameras/

fc

padded
    I love our Canon G11 - tons of settings and takes great video, but I've found the regular Auto settings to be great for almost any conditions. It's a little bulky, but it's worth it.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

(slight return)
    Canon SX-210 will run you closer to $300, but has great 720p video and full manual control if that means anything to you. It's a little bigger than the sd880 that was left on a bar stool in Tahoe, but extremely happy with it, and always found the sd880 just a little lacking.

-slide

Caca pasa
    Check out the Panasonic Lumix line. I got mine at Costco for really cheap, and it's made with metal. Feels like a real camera.

Dropped it 2x yesterday on the rocks and it didn't faze it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT need some Point & Shoot camera recommendation-fred-blur.jpg  

"합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    My two year old smashed our last camera on concrete so this thread is timely.

Do any of these cameras take a picture quickly when you push the button? We kept wanting to take a pic of a kid and we'd push the "take a picture" button and then delay delay delay while the kid is turning away, then the camera finally takes the picture and it's too late.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim

Do any of these cameras take a picture quickly when you push the button? We kept wanting to take a pic of a kid and we'd push the "take a picture" button and then delay delay delay while the kid is turning away, then the camera finally takes the picture and it's too late.
    2 things--

1. Most of the cameras have a burst mode. The casio's is 40pic per minute so that really helps with poor timing :-)
    2. As a owner with very high end HD cameras costing as much as a 911 and Digital camera easily costing as much as any high end carbon bike - NONE of them transport easily -- thus, they are trumped by almost any pocket camera.. "F8 and being there" has made it into many magazines.. I would caution against pushing the envelope and choosing a camera with x because its better, if the size increases to much to slip in your pocket easily.. sure if you want fast glass and manual control, go big. But the stuff in the middle isn't always worth the trade off in size. If it is in your pocket you'll use it.
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

Paper or plastic?

Yes, shutter lag is a big thing. This thread got me all confused though. Anyway, time to do some research on all the recommendations.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Yes, shutter lag is a big thing. This thread got me all confused though. Anyway, time to do some research on all the recommendations.
    I've got the Sony WS 200, the 90 and the Cannon G11.

These are totally different camera's. The 200 is a tiny little thing the size of a deck of cards.

It's got 12 megapixels and full manual mode.

If you want to shoot mountain biking under trees, you NEED full manual mode. But you also have to learn how to use it. It's fun - it'll give you a hobby within a hobby.

The little camera's are lacking in a couple area's, though.

They are little - this means the sensor that captures light is proportionally smaller than on larger camera's - like my Cannon G11.

I bought the Cannon last year after feeling like I had reached the limits of the Sony's. I just wasn't getting the richness and clarity I was looking for.

The Cannon is much larger, about 2 decks of cards. It's heavy, too.

But it can still be strapped to your camelbak and ridden around with, for quick snapshots.

The camera has more adjustments than I know what to do with - and if you're really going to get into photography, this is probably the best you can get for a portable camera that you can ride with.

The function Plim is looking for is available on the Cannon - I don't remember what it's called - but you can set the camera up to shoot super quick. You may experience a loss in photo quality - I really can't say as I've never used the function.

Zorg - if you want to compare any of these let me know - I still need to come by your office to pick up my stuff something this week.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Crazed Country Rebel

The Cannon G11 has a specific funciton for this that reduces lag time - you just pick the camera up, turn it on and shoot. No fuss - no focusing, etc.

If you're going to use the camera this way - you would want to leave this function on all the time.

I can't speak for the results as I've never used this function.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    I just got a camera and did a lot of research before hand. Don't remember why this one made it to the top of the list but I have been super happy with it. (Canon PowerShot SD 4000 IS Elph) Made this video with it. It takes HD vid that you have to convert but the pics are totally crisp (and fast to take) and the video function rocks (edit on the fly).

Slowest Rider
    I'm never happy with my camera so I won't recommend one. (OK, it's mostly photographer issues.) Also, at places with low light and fast motion (like Demo) only the best SLR cameras with good photographers can get a picture that's not all blur.

Most of the camera delay is spent on focusing. Most all cameras today have a two-stage button. Push part way down and the focus is set and locked, indicated on the screen in some way. Hold with the button-partially-down fixed focus until the kid is in the right position. Then the rest of the way for actually taking the picture. Time is greatly reduced to a fraction of a second. Maybe you are already doing this?

If you move the camera to another spot, you should release and pre-focus again. Also, this pre-focus technique doesn't really work for MTB where bikes are coming at you, as there's no place to pre-focus. But it's great for kids in one location but squirming.

This is the only way I ever got pictures of my fast moving rug rats, like the time one walked on water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT need some Point & Shoot camera recommendation-camillewalkwater.jpg  

It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Check out the Panasonic Lumix line. I got mine at Costco for really cheap, and it's made with metal. Feels like a real camera.

Dropped it 2x yesterday on the rocks and it didn't faze it.
    I'll second the Lumix line.
    Great little camera.
    I have the DMC-FX12
    Got it over 1.5 years ago for around $200 or less.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Thanks for the advice. There may be no good answer for this "shutter lag" thingy for me.

That G11 mode sounds like it might work, but the picture on the internet looks biggish (yeah, I have no frame of reference or anything, but it looks biggish anyway). I may check it out but if it actually is biggish my wife and I are unlikely to bother carrying it around.

I'm sure the pre-focus probably works, but I never know I want to focus until I realize I want a picture quickly, and at that point taking the time to pre-focus doesn't really gain me anything.

Fiddle-faddle!
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Casey

New question here. Photo

That looks like a fun ride. Where was that pic taken?

aka dan51
    Thanks for the advice. There may be no good answer for this "shutter lag" thingy for me.
    An SLR, even a cheap one like I have, is the solution for shutter lag. You can leave the camera on all the time and it won't really drain the battery. It kind of goes to sleep. But in about 1/10 of a second it wakes up and can take a shot. But then you have the whole "it's friggin huge and a pain in the bum to carry around" issue. And the image quality and lens options are much better. But it's still a PITA to carry around.

The G cameras are a nice line and one I would recommend for sure.

For forest shooting I've been bumping the ISO up to 800 or 1600 lately. Sure there is some noise, but when shrunk down to 1024X768 you can hardly see it. This is where the manual mode iheart refers to comes in hand.

My rule is the smaller the camera, the less features and poorer quality the pics will be. But a poor pic is better than a missed pic.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Reminder that there are "Kid/Pet" settings on the canons that you can also use to cheat on settings quickly.

*Larry, but can they skate or moonwalk?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the canon g11 is probably the state of the art of current point and shoot cameras but it has a couple of drawbacks..first it is bigger than the rest so you have to be willing to carry the extra weight and size, and second it is way more expensive than zorg's price range. i ride with a canon g9 which i have had for a couple of years now and love it for the reasons stated above...but it is a bit bigger. used g9's are in the price ballpark now. the g11 will run you almost 400 bux for a mint used one. i've also used a panny lumix zs3 which was pretty decent...but i went back to the g9 at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Plim,
    I've got a 2 year old, as well. I picked up Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 a couple months ago, and it almost immediately paid for itself when my little dude got a hold of it and hucked it across the kitchen. The shock proof thing seems to work within reason!

Zorg,
    I am willing to bet that ANY new point and shoot will be a huge upgrade to your 5 year old camera. The camera we just replaced was a 2 year old Elph which came highly recommended at the time. Our new Panasonic is quicker on face recognition and shutter lag, even though it's shockproof/waterproof status puts it below par relative to other point and shoots that are currently out.

edit: I picked the camera up for ~$230 by looking at slickdeals.net. I had to go with the silver color, which was fine with me. I'll try to post up some examples.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    An action shot of the "boys" wrestling over Monkey:

Double Rainbow on the lanai:

A couple snaps of fish while snorkeling:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Love the video!!!

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    I just got a camera and did a lot of research before hand. Don't remember why this one made it to the top of the list but I have been super happy with it. (Canon PowerShot SD 4000 IS Elph) Made this video with it. It takes HD vid that you have to convert but the pics are totally crisp (and fast to take) and the video function rocks (edit on the fly).

Hey Josh, great job on the video. That was a blast! Now I want to go hit up SDF again soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    SD940 - $159

Found the deal here:
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=2232693

I ordered here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A17MC6HOH9AVE6

I already have a Canon 20D DSLR and a Canon S90 when I need something compact. I am afraid to carry my $400 S90 with me when I ride so I need to buy something cheaper. So I ordered the SD940. It was $250 when it first came out. It is being replaced by the SD1400 I believe so the SD940 is being cleared out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    DPReview.com tests pre-focus/pre-focus to shot taken times, I'd use that to check your short list against.

If you want better image quality, you can pick up a used previous generation small entry level DSLR from Nikon or Canon (D50/D40/300D/350D) for really cheap ~$150-200. Add a small prime (or zoom if you must) lens and you've got something that will fit easily in your Camelbak and give you much better images. Downside - no video, but in a year or so the current entry-level DSLRs w/ video (D5000/D3100/500D) will be dirt cheap as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0